Question: Why are there hadith that do not respect women ?

jinma

Hello, everyone. I am a muslim but I read Quran and hadith very little.
I believe that Islam is a right way to fulfill my life and to make my spirit purified.

Recently , I have read some hadith and found problems I cannot understand.

I found somehow discrepancy between Islam value and modern value on woman rights.

In quran, it said that husband may marry at most 4 women, but in most places, monogamy is legislated.

It said that husband may beat his wife, because men are better than women.

It also says that there are more women than men in the fire hell.

So, these words seem a little controversial with my own value on women rights, which indicates that everyone is created equal .

Thank you for your review and hope I can get some answers about this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum Jinma, welcome to the site. Those are a few questions, each one really deserves its own post. In sha Allah, we will help you with understanding Islam and removing the misconceptions.

Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand. (4:34)

This ayah (verse) is probably one of the most misunderstood and misquoted verses of the Holy Quran. The Quran uses the Arabic word qawwamuna in the beginning of this verse, so it reads "Men are the qawwamuna of women." The word qawwamuna means to continuously stand over something (e.g. a guard or a caretaker) or to maintain something. The closest single word in English to qawwamis probably guardian. The grammatical form of qawwam combines the concepts of physical maintenance and protection as well as responsibility. The word denotes no superiority but responsibility. A correct translation of "qawwamuna a'ala aln-nisa" therefore would be "Men are the protectors and maintainers of women". To use "in charge" is quite a loose translation.
This is a better translation:

"Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other..."

So a husband must be a protector and maintainer of his wife. It is important to note that the expression "men are qawwamuna over women" only describes the relationship between husband and wife within the family. The expression does not refer to the relationship between men and women in general. Now we can continue to look at the next part of the verse.

Why does God assign men the role to be the maintainer or guardian of the family? Men are financially responsible for the family because men and women both have different roles. It would be very difficult for a women to go through pregnancy and raise children at the same time as providing for the family. So men are to provide for the family. This does not mean that women cannot work, but due to the nature of women sometimes it can be difficult at times, so men are the maintainers, and are held financially responsible for the family.

Then the Quran says, "So the righteous are devoutly obedient, guarding in (the husbands) absence what Allah would have them guard." It seems as if the Quran is referring to those women who are obedient to their husbands, but the term is being used for those women who are devoutly obedient to GOD. When the husband is absent, a women is expected to guard her chastity. As for those women who cheat on their husbands and commit major sins, the Quran says how to deal with them. When a husband dislikes their wives, they are instructed:"Consort with them in a good manner for if you dislike them it be that you dislike something in which god places much goodness." (4:19)

In the verse 4:34 the Quran suggests three ways to stop family crisis. One, to remind them of God and his teachings, and to talk with them. The Quran uses the phrase izuhannawhich means to remind them of God's teachings. If that works then the matter is settled. If not, then the second step is to avoid sharing beds with such wives. The Quran says in Arabic "Wahjuruhunna fi'il madaiji" which means to leave them alone in bed or to not share their bed. Note, it is the man who is required to leave and not the women. The last option mentioned in the Quran in Arabic is wadribuhunna. The word Idrib is usually translated as "strike" or "hit". However, this does not mean physical abuse, in fact Islam condemns physical abuse against wife.

As one can see from the Prophet's statements: "It is strictly forbidden for a Muslim man to beat his wife violently, nor is he allowed to physically abuse her or strike her on the face for any reason. " Wadribuhunna is a way of stopping ones wife from doing evil, it is not to cause pain (this is why hitting on the face or any sensitive area is never allowed), it must not leave a bruise or a mark on the skin and it should not cause emotional problems. The Arabic phrase does not resembles violence or abuse.

If someone were to hit another person with a piece of string, it would still be called 'striking' but that does not mean it is physical abuse. In the same way when the Quran uses the word strike it does not mean physical abuse, as this is condemned by the prophet and the teachings of Islam. It is more of a gesture. You could also say that if someone physically stopped another person from doing something bad (within limits), is it considered abuse and violent? The Quran also tells us to imitate the prophet Muhammad (pbuh), and it is recorded in the hadiths that he never beat his wives. Anyone who uses this verse as an excuse for domestic violence is not following Islamic teaching. No Muslim wife-beater can possibly claim to imitate the Prophet.

The last part of this verse says:

"But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand."

The verse ends by saying, "If they obey you, seek no means against them" - obey at any stage - and "obey", coming in its place here, means "refrain" from the act which caused this problem. Thus "obedience" here does not mean being submissive to the husband, but refraining from a serious offence. To refrain in this way is an obligation on every person.

Abu Hurayra narrated that the Prophet said: "The most perfect of the believers in their belief are those with the best manners, and the best of you are those who are best with their wives." (Sahih Bukhari)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

I just want to point out that becoming educated on our beautiful faith is the best way to find rational and intelligent answers to your questions.

Our faith is wise. Our Prophet, swas, was duty bound in delivering the message of Allah swt to us. Our Creator knows us more than we know ourselves.

Women are not oppressed in Islam. However, we have culture that is ignorant and mixes the faith with its irrational problem solving.

Anyone reading this knows I am a proponent of plural wives. I see this as an economic responsibility. I have written too much on this subject. However, to keep this brief in many modern societies we have gay marriages. That is nothing but a social and economic evil.

Our souls are equal. On the Day of Judgement it will be the good or evil that is judged, not the sex of the individual. As one progresses in faith and knowledge it becomes evident that we have to release our biased values as part of submission to the Will of Allah.

Equally, there are sound hadeeths that uphold women. The woman who came to the Prophet, swas, and supplicated Allah to reveal to the Prophet, swas, what was fair. Allah, swt, sent down a revelation for her cause. Islam is very fair to women. The Prophet, swas, showed the people of ignorance how to love women. He, swas, introduced his, swas, wives to people, He, swas, kissed his granddaughter. He, swas, loved Fatima.

Modern society has reduced women to work units. That is our liberation. We are to tolerate marriage with the mistress on the side or a same sex lover. Go figure.

Katrin

One thing I think is rather special about our religion is that in the Islamic tradition there is a clear awareness that knowledge is contextual, and even divine revelations are. It is recorded what the circumstances of particular revelations are. The hadith also narrate specific events that happened in a concrete historical and cultural context.
As far as we know from history, there seems to have been (and still be) gender inequality in almost all cultures of the world. So it is not very astonishing that this was the case in the Arabic culture at the time of prophet Muhammad (PBUH). It has often been pointed out that Islam brought a lot of improvement for women, but certainly these improvements were also contextual. So we always need to look at the historic circumstances to understand the spirit of the changes Islam brought.

a_stranger

Assalamu alaikim wa rahmatu Allah wa barakatu

I believe that Islam is very strict in preventing and stopping any wrong doing against women , why because it teaches people to be sincere slaves or servents of Allah the one true creator........this means we should fear Allah in our life not harm even an ant , we should cut the roots of arrogance and pride.......feeling of superiority within our hearts....both men and women .......be humble towards the creator and his creation ......we should follow the steps of our prophet salla Allah alaihi wa sallam in being polite, calm, kind.........This is not very easy but this is the way to Janna.

a_stranger

What I mean is that Uoboodia :being slave of Allah subhanahu wataaala is to rebuild our personality in almost perfect manner in which our souls will be eager to do good , say nice words.........help and be kind towards others.