Why do they do this...

Waseem203

Young Muslim
I was watching Taraweeh live from Mecca yesterday, and it seems like their minds are so set on finishing the Quran in the 30 days than they actually are understanding it. I mean, all respect, but the reciter was reading 80 miles an hour and for the people that have a weak Arabic skill ( like me ) probably couldn't understand anything he said. I just don't get it , whats the use of finishing the Quran in Ramadan, if they don't know the meaning? Yes, yes, I agree it's a VERY good thing to read the whole Quran but as the saying goes, if it goes in one ear and out the other, whats the use?

Salam.

palestine

Servant of Allah
i agree. wara tilil qur'ana tartila. that ayah shows that we should read the quran slowly. instead of 80 miles per hour. i canno judge these people for i don't know what's in their heart, but i do agree that they should take the time to understand, even be it one ayah rather than running through the whole quran and understanding nothing of it. asalamu alaykum wrwb. and to answer your question: this is by choice.

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

I know exactly what you mean brother. I read the Quran in English since I don't know Arabic in the least. I was told it is better for me to read it aloud in Arabic (via transliteration) rather than read it to myself in English and actually comprehend the words. I felt this was some of the silliest advice I have ever received....and I've received some very strange advice since converting.

I just smiled politely and continued to read the Quran in a method I felt would be most edifying and educational. So it's supposed to be a good thing to read the Quran in 30 days, well if I can't comprehend it then I am doing a disservice to it. I am treating it like a common marathon and not trying to absorb each precious word and it's meaning. I've learned if I do not agree with someone's "suggestion" I just stay silent and continue to do what works for me.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Shahzad

brother waseem, usually one can understand the recitation of taraweeh in haram. i dont know wat have they done now?

norlilahrahmat

:salam2:

The Imam reciting the Quran though very very fast, the tjweed are excellent and there are Tahfiz (person who knows Quran and the meaning, the hukum, the story, and the reason why Allah send The Ayat) That why sometime the Imam cried( fr. previous Taraweeh I saw in you tube):ma:

For the Makmum just listening there will get same reward.

Just to share my experience,I used to read the translation of Quraan.Reading the translation i didt feel the soul of the Quran.

I took Quran seriously at the age of 42. I started to learnt the Tajweed and the Makhraj and after 2 yrs , Khatam Quran Alhamdulillah. Though I can recite Quraan in Arabic well,i still cant understand the meaning unless i read the translation.

One day while reciting Surah Al Waqia ayat

سُوۡرَةُ الواقِعَة

وَأَصۡحَـٰبُ ٱلشِّمَالِ مَآ أَصۡحَـٰبُ ٱلشِّمَالِ (٤١) فِى سَمُومٍ۬ وَحَمِيمٍ۬ (٤٢) وَظِلٍّ۬ مِّن يَحۡمُومٍ۬ (٤٣) لَّا بَارِدٍ۬ وَلَا

my body was shaking and my eyes filled with tear, when i read the translation :subhanallah:

Al-Waqia

And those on the Left Hand how (unfortunate) will be those on the Left Hand? (41) In fierce hot wind and boiling water. (42) And shadow of black smoke. (43) (That shadow) neither cool, nor (even) pleasant, (44)

:allahuakbar::allahuakbar::allahuakbar:

until today when reciting this Surah i can feel The Warning and this became The Reminder to me in my dua, after Solah

bangnapi

They do that in order to get optimum/maximum reward from Allah (it is Ramadhan rite?).

As long you read the Qur'an well, without ignoring the ethics of reading the Qur'an, you'll get reward, wether you understand the meaning of it or not. While, you'll get no reward if you reading the interpretations/translations of the Qur'an (in English, Indonesian, Urdu, etc.), you'll just get the reward of studying it.

That's the difference between reading the interpretations of the Qur'an (in English, Indonesian, Urdu, etc.) and reading the Qur'an in Arabic.

Wallahu'alam bishowab.

nori suja'i

Assalamoo'alaykoom,
i'm sorry as i dont know how to explain in a nice way here.
i ever had dreamt that a very handsome guy came from my back and by surprised kissed my mouth while other girls watching shockingly. since that day onwards till now alhamdulillah reading AlQur'an became my rautine practise as with Qur'an i feel so peaceful. before that i did recited AlQur'an but sluggishly but not anymore. sometimes i cried as if i can feel what Allah Says in that particular Ayaat i'd read eventhough i don't know Arabic language only some.

Mohsin

abdu'Allah

I hope brother Waseem is not talking about this recitation.

[yt]7wnn8eOPZdg[/yt]

Becasue this is wonderful recitation, mashaAllah and I dont think anyone can call it an 80/mph and as for the other reciter it is Abdur-Rahman as-Sudais who, I think, is one of the best reciters of the Quran as far as I know.

I think there is a confusion here people are mixing the Qiyaam of Taraweeh (which in itself is an act of worship and reciting Quran there is a mean of Dhikr) with the study of Quran. We have full day to read it, understand it and go into the details of it and this way we can also enjoy listening to it in Taraweeh inshaAllah.

P.S. Can someone please tell me why Shaikh Shuraim is not reciting anymore?

Waseem203

Young Muslim
Thanks for all your thoughts, I agree they do have great tajweed, but didn't the Prophet PBUH recite so that you could make the distinction of the letters? The Quran also said it should be recited in a slow rhythmic tone. Really, when they do it like this, I can understand Allahs' Kalam, WAY more. But thats just me.

Salam.

JD19

Keep in mind the beginning days of Taraweeh, the recitations are long since the beginning chapters are the longest. If they dont read it fast, all the people praying would have to stand for a very long time, which would be tough on some of the worshippers... In the mosque I go to, it currently takes 1 and a half hours to complete 20 rakats of Taraweeh prayer and thats with a hafiz reciting fast.

Whats the link to watch the prayers from Mecca?

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
They do that in order to get optimum/maximum reward from Allah (it is Ramadhan rite?).

As long you read the Qur'an well, without ignoring the ethics of reading the Qur'an, you'll get reward, wether you understand the meaning of it or not. While, you'll get no reward if you reading the interpretations/translations of the Qur'an (in English, Indonesian, Urdu, etc.), you'll just get the reward of studying it.

That's the difference between reading the interpretations of the Qur'an (in English, Indonesian, Urdu, etc.) and reading the Qur'an in Arabic.

Wallahu'alam bishowab.

This isn't very fair, nor does it make sense. If i am sitting there making noises that i have no comprehension of how is that more rewarding than sitting and reading the Qu'ran in English and understanding it?

Do you have a fatwa that says this? Or is this just an opinion???

hassana elkoussi

I hope brother Waseem is not talking about this recitation.

[yt]7wnn8eOPZdg[/yt]

Becasue this is wonderful recitation, mashaAllah and I dont think anyone can call it an 80/mph and as for the other reciter it is Abdur-Rahman as-Sudais who, I think, is one of the best reciters of the Quran as far as I know.

I think there is a confusion here people are mixing the Qiyaam of Taraweeh (which in itself is an act of worship and reciting Quran there is a mean of Dhikr) with the study of Quran. We have full day to read it, understand it and go into the details of it and this way we can also enjoy listening to it in Taraweeh inshaAllah.

P.S. Can someone please tell me why Shaikh Shuraim is not reciting anymore?

I totally agree with brother Mohsen. These reciters at Haram are among the best ever and they are perfectly observing the rules of tajwid. I hope all of u will have the chance to do Umrah in Ramadan and try praying taraweeh with any of them, then u will absolutely change ur minds.You'll find millions of people of different nationalities melting in tears in their prayers with these sheikhs. The words of Allah are heart shaking, whether u understand them or not. Take all the time u need in studying and contemplating , but read as much as u can of the Quran. All rewards are multiplied in this blessed month. Ramadan Kareem:shake::salam2:

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
I totally agree with brother Mohsen. These reciters at Haram are among the best ever and they are perfectly observing the rules of tajwid. I hope all of u will have the chance to do Umrah in Ramadan and try praying taraweeh with any of them, then u will absolutely change ur minds.You'll find millions of people of different nationalities melting in tears in their prayers with these sheikhs. The words of Allah are heart shaking, whether u understand them or not. Take all the time u need in studying and contemplating , but read as much as u can of the Quran. All rewards are multiplied in this blessed month. Ramadan Kareem:shake::salam2:

InshAllah, my point was with regards to reading the Qur'an through Ramadan. I love to hear Qur'an recited, however as i do not speak nor read Arabic surely it is best for me to read my translation rather than read out loud a tramsliteration that i cannot understand?

bangnapi

This isn't very fair, nor does it make sense. If i am sitting there making noises that i have no comprehension of how is that more rewarding than sitting and reading the Qu'ran in English and understanding it?

Do you have a fatwa that says this? Or is this just an opinion???

Assalaamu'alaikum,

Just finished my tarawih & supper...

I'd read the fatwaa/reason/dalil of it, but I'm afraid i can't give you the translations of the (hadits/fatwa) in English. It's because I had a bad English, so I don't dare to translate it by myself, upon any mistaken probably I'll make.

About reciting full qur'an in a full month tarawih :
1. From Hadits At Tirmidzi (hasan shahih), said that there's one goodness in reading one letter of the Qur'an, and that one goodness multiplied by 10 times. One letter mean each one goodness in Alif, Laam, Miim.
2. Studying Al Qur'an is also important, the Qur'an itself said that : (QS. Al-Jumu'ah: 5), (QS. Ali Imran: 79), (QS. Muhammad: 24).
3. The goodness in reciting/reading Qur'an, will be multiplied when we doing that in shalat.
4. Every goodness/reward of good effort will be multiplied in Ramadhan.

So, imagine if we reciting full Qur'an verses when we doing tarawih in Ramadhan, just multiply multiply multiply the reward of it. We can't reciting the translation of Qur'an in English when we doing tarawih, don't we?

Of course I don't say that studying translation of the Qur'an is useless, because there's lot of reward for people that studying it also. So if you studying it in Ramadhan, then multiply it too...

How ever, is it ever enough just to studying the Qur'an in English, or any languages besides to studying it in it's motherlanguage?

And I prefer say the translation of Qur'an in English, not English Qur'an nor Qur'an in English. Because in translation, there's many probabilities of missinterpretation/misstranslation. The Qur'an in Arabic is the original, and Allah take care the originality of the Qur'an. Do Allah take care the originality of the tafsir nor translation of it?

Wallahu'alam.

Wassalaamu'alaikum.

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

While reading the Quran has reward I still do not understand why someone would tell me it's better to recite it aloud in a language I do not comprehend than to read it in English to myself. And I know what Waseem is talking about, I am sorry but to rush through recitation of the Quran just to finish it in 30 days seems wrong to me.

Rasool recited each ayah with a breath between and did not rush thorough it. I think it better to pay proper respect to the Quran while reciting and if one cannot complete the entire Quran in 30 days then I doubt their reward is diminished. Intention is a HUGE part of what we are judged for in the end and if we prayed our prayers ernestly and with a pure heart, I think it matters little if you cleared the whole Quran in 30 days.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Salaam,

While reading the Quran has reward I still do not understand why someone would tell me it's better to recite it aloud in a language I do not comprehend than to read it in English to myself. And I know what Waseem is talking about, I am sorry but to rush through recitation of the Quran just to finish it in 30 days seems wrong to me.

Rasool recited each ayah with a breath between and did not rush thorough it. I think it better to pay proper respect to the Quran while reciting and if one cannot complete the entire Quran in 30 days then I doubt their reward is diminished. Intention is a HUGE part of what we are judged for in the end and if we prayed our prayers ernestly and with a pure heart, I think it matters little if you cleared the whole Quran in 30 days.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Salaam,

I totally understand what you are saying, but in my humble opinion I believe it has to do with unity. All the masjids should try to finish it within the same time period. If one masjid want to expand the Quran recitation to 60 days, another in 120 days, another in 30 days, then where is the global unity in this? Also consider someone going for taraweeh in one masjid one night and then another masjid the next night. The recitations could be totally in a different part of the Quran and would cause confusion and hardship. They would have to attend the same masjid the whole 30 days. What if they can't? Hope this helps.

Maybe someone can find a fatwa that explains it much more insightful & clearer.

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Salaam,

Wasalaam

~Sarah
:wasalam: Sister,

I think the confusion lies in the first line of your post and I think you are taking it as if someone is telling you that its better to read it without understanding in Arabic rather than reading it with understanding in any other language. I hope the following verse and hadith will help clarify the issue inshaAllah.

Its true that Quran is revealed that it should be understood and followed as Allah SWT says,
Do they not then think deeply in the Qur'ân, or are their hearts locked up (from understanding it)? (24)
Therefore, the invitation to bring reason and understanding to the Qur’an is spread on almost every page of it: Why do you not hear? Why do you not see? Why do you not think? Why do you not reason? Why do you not ponder? Why do you not understand? Why do you not take it to heart? To whom are these invitations addressed if not to every human being who possesses the faculties of hearing, seeing, and thinking?

It is also emphatically declared that the Qur’an has been sent down to be understood.
A Book We have sent down, [it is] full of blessings, that men may ponder over its messages, and those who possess understanding may take them to heart.

The hadith which discourages reading the Qur’an in less than three days also makes the need for understanding clear: you will not understand it. One who does not understand the meanings or who does not reflect over them is in no need of this directive.

Anas ibn Malik once said, “Often one recites the Qur’an, but the Qur’an curses him because he does not understand it.” The sign of faith, according to `Abdullah ibn `Umar, is to understand the Qur’an: “We have lived long. ... A time has come when I see a man who is given the whole Qur’an before he has acquired faith. He reads all the pages between Al-Fatihah and its end without knowing its commands, its threats, and the places in it where he should pause; he scatters it like the scattering of one fleeing in haste.” `A’ishah once heard a man babbling over the Qur’an and said, “He has neither read the Qur’an nor kept silent.” `Ali said, “There is no good in the Qur’an reading which is not pondered over.” Abu Sulayman Al-Darani said, “I recite a verse and remain with it for four or five nights and do not pass on to another verse unless I have ended my thinking on it.”

Now its clear that this is the first and foremost purpose of the Quran that it be understood and followed. Understanding and following Quran takes precedence over mere recitation without any understanding and following.

Secondly Quranic recitation without understanding is also not without any reward and there are ahadith about it as well but this does not mean that people should not understand it and keep it only for the purpose of recitation.

Verily, who recites Quran beautifully, smoothly and precisely he will be in the company of the noble and obidient angels. And as for the one who recites it with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses then he will have twice that reward.
[Bukhari and Muslim]

The recitation of the Quran in Taraweeh is a form of Dhikr and reward is expected from it but this in no way mean that people who do that are not obliged to understand and follow it. That obligation still remains and takes precedence over mere recitation without understanding.

Nayla

Assalamu'alaikum,

Excuse me, but how do we know they don't understand what they are reciting ? As the native speaker of Arabic, don't they definitely understand the meaning no matter how fast they read ....?

For me, of course it's hard to understand when someone recites Al Qur'an in that speed as I don't speak Arabic. But I never thought people in Mecca don't understand the meaning since it's their own language..... :)

Wassalam,
Nayla