Why I Shed Bikini for Niqab: The New Symbol of Women's Liberation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Globalpeace

Banned
By Sara Bokker

I am an American woman who was born in the midst of America's "Heartland." I grew up, just like any other girl, being fixated with the glamour of life in "the big city." Eventually, I moved to Florida and on to South Beach of Miami, a hotspot for those seeking the "glamorous life." Naturally, I did what most average Western girls do. I focused on my appearance and appeal, basing my self-worth on how much attention I got from others. I worked out religiously and became a personal trainer, acquired an upscale waterfront residence, became a regular "exhibiting" beach-goer and was able to attain a "living-in-style" kind of life.

Years went by, only to realize that my scale of self-fulfillment and happiness slid down the more I progressed in my "feminine appeal." I was a slave to fashion. I was a hostage to my looks.

As the gap continued to progressively widen between my self-fulfillment and lifestyle, I sought refuge in escapes from alcohol and parties to meditation, activism, and alternative religions, only to have the little gap widen to what seemed like a valley. I eventually realized it all was merely a pain killer rather than an effective remedy.

By now it was September 11, 2001. As I witnessed the ensuing barrage on Islam, Islamic values and culture, and the infamous declaration of the "new crusade," I started to notice something called Islam. Up until that point, all I had associated with Islam was women covered in "tents," wife beaters, harems, and a world of terrorism.

As a feminist libertarian, and an activist who was pursuing a better world for all, my path crossed with that of another activist who was already at the lead of indiscriminately furthering causes of reform and justice for all. I joined in the ongoing campaigns of my new mentor which included, at the time, election reform and civil rights, among others. Now my new activism was fundamentally different. Instead of "selectively" advocating justice only to some, I learned that ideals such as justice, freedom, and respect are meant to be and are essentially universal, and that own good and common good are not in conflict. For the first time, I knew what "all people are created equal" really means. But most importantly, I learned that it only takes faith to see the world as one and to see the unity in creation.

One day I came across a book that is negatively stereotyped in the West--The Holy Qur'an. I was first attracted by the style and approach of the Qur'an, and then intrigued by its outlook on existence, life, creation, and the relationship between Creator and creation. I found the Qur'an to be a very insightful address to heart and soul without the need for an interpreter or pastor.

Eventually I hit a moment of truth: my new-found self-fulfilling activism was nothing more than merely embracing a faith called Islam where I could live in peace as a "functional" Muslim.

I bought a beautiful long gown and head cover resembling the Muslim woman's dress code and I walked down the same streets and neighborhoods where only days earlier I had walked in my shorts, bikini, or "elegant" western business attire. Although the people, the faces, and the shops were all the same, one thing was remarkably distinct--I was not--nor was the peace at being a woman I experienced for the very first time. I felt as if the chains had been broken and I was finally free. I was delighted with the new looks of wonder on people's faces in place of the looks of a hunter watching his prey I had once sought. Suddenly a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I no longer spent all my time consumed with shopping, makeup, getting my hair done, and working out. Finally, I was free.

Of all places, I found my Islam at the heart of what some call "the most scandalous place on earth," which makes it all the more dear and special.

While content with Hijab I became curious about Niqab, seeing an increasing number of Muslim women in it. I asked my Muslim husband, whom I married after I reverted to Islam, whether I should wear Niqab or just settle for the Hijab I was already wearing. My husband simply advised me that he believes Hijab is mandatory in Islam while Niqab is not. At the time, my Hijab consisted of head scarf that covered all my hair except for my face, and a loose long black gown called "Abaya" that covered all my body from neck to toe.

A year-and-a-half passed, and I told my husband I wanted to wear Niqab. My reason, this time, was that I felt it would be more pleasing to Allah, the Creator, increasing my feeling of peace at being more modest. He supported my decision and took me to buy an "Isdaal," a loose black gown that covers from head to toe, and Niqab, which covers all my head and face except for my eyes.

Soon enough, news started breaking about politicians, Vatican clergymen, libertarians, and so-called human rights and freedom activists condemning Hijab at times, and Niqab at others as being oppressive to women, an obstacle to social integration, and more recently, as an Egyptian official called it--"a sign of backwardness."

I find it to be a blatant hypocrisy when Western governments and so-called human rights groups rush to defend woman's rights when some governments impose a certain dress code on women, yet such "freedom fighters" look the other way when women are being deprived of their rights, work, and education just because they choose to exercise their right to wear Niqab or Hijab. Today, women in Hijab or Niqab are being increasingly barred from work and education not only under totalitarian regimes such as in Tunisia, Morocco, and Egypt, but also in Western democracies such as France, Holland, and Britain.

Today I am still a feminist, but a Muslim feminist, who calls on Muslim women to assume their responsibilities in providing all the support they can for their husbands to be good Muslims. To raise their children as upright Muslims so they may be beacons of light for all humanity once again. To enjoin good--any good--and to forbid evil--any evil. To speak righteousness and to speak up against all ills. To fight for our right to wear Niqab or Hijab and to please our Creator whichever way we chose. But just as importantly to carry our experience with Niqab or Hijab to fellow women who may never have had the chance to understand what wearing Niqab or Hijab means to us and why do we, so dearly, embrace it.

Most of the women I know wearing Niqab are Western reverts, some of whom are not even married. Others wear Niqab without full support of either family or surroundings. What we all have in common is that it is the personal choice of each and every one of us, which none of us is willing to surrender.

Willingly or unwillingly, women are bombarded with styles of "dressing-in-little-to-nothing" virtually in every means of communication everywhere in the world. As an ex non-Muslim, I insist on women's right to equally know about Hijab, its virtues, and the peace and happiness it brings to a woman's life as it did to mine. Yesterday, the bikini was the symbol of my liberty, when in actuality it only liberated me from my spirituality and true value as a respectable human being.

I couldn't be happier to shed my bikini in South Beach and the "glamorous" Western lifestyle to live in peace with my Creator and enjoy living among fellow humans as a worthy person. It is why I choose to wear Niqab, and why I will die defending my inalienable right to wear it. Today, Niqab is the new symbol of woman's liberation.

To women who surrender to the ugly stereotype against the Islamic modesty of Hijab, I say: You don't know what you are missing.

Sara Bokker is a former actress/model/fitness instructor and activist. Currently, Sara is Director of Communications at "The March For Justice," a co-founder of "The Global Sisters Network," and producer of the infamous "Shock & Awe Gallery.

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
AssalaamuAlaikum,

I liked the very well placed point:

"I find it to be a blatant hypocrisy when Western governments and so-called human rights groups rush to defend woman's rights when some governments impose a certain dress code on women, yet such "freedom fighters" look the other way when women are being deprived of their rights, work, and education just because they choose to exercise their right to wear Niqab or Hijab."

Sub7aanAllah.

Wassalaam,
VE

Noor to shine

Fitra

:salam2:
I think that many women if left to their Fitra( pure essance) will choose what sister Sara choosed, but now 90% of women or more are under the influence of the media, examples of movie stars,new fashion,.......etc. Many Satanic influences are shaping women minds and intrests. If humans can breathe fresh air I believe we would have different atitudes......But in such polluted atmosphere it is harder for people to lesson to their inner Conscience., and rise their heads.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

I find that media inhibits original thinking. People just don’t think for themselves anymore; they borrow the thoughts of “experts.”

From sports, to politics, to religion to fashion they borrow wholeheartedly from the experts.

Even when people try to argue and put down Islam, the arguments are repetitive because they are not original, they are borrowed; which makes our job (Dawah) easier but at the same time makes their job (accepting the truth) harder because they are incapable of original thought and they can’t accept that the “experts” can be wrong.

Furthermore decline in education standards has lead to amplifying of this phenomenon, no one does “personal research” anymore; its all down to experts who neatly summarise & package everything for you on CNN & BBC; you don’t to have to read a full article or listen to a full interview when a 30 minute interview is neatly packaged and sterilised in 30 seconds.

:salam2:
I think that many women if left to their Fitra( pure essance) will choose what sister Sara choosed, but now 90% of women or more are under the influence of the media, examples of movie stars,new fashion,.......etc. Many Satanic influences are shaping women minds and intrests. If humans can breathe fresh air I believe we would have different atitudes......But in such polluted atmosphere it is harder for people to lesson to their inner Conscience., and rise their heads.

umm hussain

These revert stories are truly inspirational. It is amazing that with all the 'freedom' women are awarded with in the west many more are coming to Islam so for people who use their intellect should be able to see the real picture. How can someone run away from freedom to oppression.

I agree with you that 'our' thoughts are not our own, they are influenced a lot by what we hear and we then adopt these thoughts without even thinking about it. I feel music plays even a major role than lets say news for example, news, especially hip hop, rap, when you listen to these you think you are a gangster and just want to fight or kill someone because it feels 'cool' when someone raps about owning a gun, etc and of course the 'love' songs. You feel you are living the life this singer, actors are living. They do not necessarily live the lives they portray either but it us the gullible people who end up opting for that life style.

In the country I am for example, it is a "3rd" world developing country in Africa but the few people who live in the Urban areas, think they are in America, mainly because most Music you get there is American. You here them using the F words, dressing in bright red out fits because maybe they saw R.Kelly wearing red in a music video, to match with his red car yet this person who is imitating him does not even own a bicycle, how sad is this. We lose our identity. The girls in mini skirts, bikinis etc, you can sometimes 'forget' you are in Africa. Talk about IDEOLOGICAL WARFARE and Classical Conditioning.

There was a time I did modeling, mostly because my mum was pushing me but I did not enjoy it, if you are not 'beautiful' enough you do not win. Therefore you feel inferior and depression sets in, you look to other things to try enhance your beauty. Alhamdulillah Islam makes emphasis on internal beauty rather than outward. Alhamdulillah I do not have to go down that road anymore, Islam truly has given women the real freedom. Freedom not to be judged by how you look.

stawf

MashaAllah this article is a great inspiration for all of us. Just one point I would like to add, my personal opinion we Muslim women should not say ourselves Muslim feminists because Islam gives us more rights than any other religions or political movement like feminism. However, we can re-claim our women rights in Islam and empower ourselves in order to achieve success in here and hereafter. We should be proud with our Islamic identity which is we are “Muslimah”. We just need to know our rights in Islam and reclaim those rights in our lives. Here is essay, I wrote to express myself:

Reclaiming Women Power in Islam without Rejecting the Traditional System:

A depth discussion about Muslim Women, Justice and Islamic Law

To understand women’s rights in Islam, it is essential to understand the elements of justice, equality and law in Islam. Islam is based on logical justice of equity and equal treatment. Yet, in some cases equality does not bring justice in humanity. As we know, human beings are not equal as far as their talents, skills, merits, personalities, characteristics, or physical and mental capabilities. In some cases human situations also vary in time and location. Therefore, justifying justice in order to establish equality is not always a wise step. To understand women’s rights in Islam, one should keep in mind that in Islam justice is the main key to acknowledge human dignity and freedom. Islam emphasizes justice rather than equality.

This paper will analyze how Quranic justices signify equal treatment in order to establish harmony and eliminate injustice in human relationships. Consequently, it will focus on women’s rights in Islam that come from divine sources of the holy Quran and Sunnah through the leadership of Mohammad (Pbuh). It will also examine and analyze how women in Islam can empower themselves by learning and practicing their own religion. This paper will analyze and examine the basic women’s rights in Islam in three main areas: (1) marriage and family life, (2) financial responsibility and inheritance, and (3) education and career. It will not cover contemporary Muslim women’s situations; hence it is not presupposed that Islam is established as a prime source in women’s Muslim life in general. Content analysis will use as a main method for this paper, with an authentic approach.

1. Marriage and Family Life

Marriage in Islam is a religious duty. Islam does not support celibacy because of human’s natural desire is not fulfilled, nor does Islam support sex outside of marriage, because it not fulfill human’s need for mental security and tranquility. Islam encourages both men and women to enter in marital relationship as a ‘half of the religion’ to obtain peace and tranquility. As the holy Quran declares: ‘that He created for you spouses from among yourselves, so that you might find rest in them; and He has set between you love and compassion. Truly there aresigns in this for people who reflect.”[1] The purpose of marriage is having a balanced peaceful life. Consequently, women in Islam deserve the same tranquility in marriage and as men.

The role of woman (and man) is that she is the slave of Allah, and the follower of the messenger of Allah. As a human, she knows who she is, and what her destiny is. Because of her dignity, she stands up for her rights of Islam, and enjoys these rights as a free woman. The leader of Islam, Muhammad (pbuh) announces that no human is inferior to anyone else except to the Being who brought into existence, God.[2] According to the Quran, ‘They (your wives) are your garment and you are a garment for them.’[3]In another words, in conjugal life, both husband and wife are considered as garments for each other. For example, garments protect a person from cold and hot weather, hide a person from nakedness, and give the person comfort. So do the husband and wife, they protect each other during the struggle of life, secure each other’s chastity, and give comfort and security. By learning and practicing the importance of marital purpose, a Muslim woman can empower herself at the beginning in her marital life with full confidence that she has the same rights over her husband, as her husband has over her. Consequently, her new life will start with new meaning.

In Islam, marriage is known as a contract between two mature people with full consent. Marriage is encouraged not by age, status, beauty, or wealth, but by religious piousness. As the prophet said: “A woman is married for four things; for her possession and wealth, for her noble decent, for her beauty, and for her sense of true religion. But gain the one with the sense of true religion”[4] A woman has the right to select her life-partner and to propose in order to get married. The ages of the bride and bridegroom do not have to be the same, either can be older. The Prophet himself is an excellent example of this. The main essence is both must have free will and good moral value to enter into a marriage contact, with sincere promise that they will live together forever in marital life, unless an extreme situation leads them to end the marriage contract, which would result in divorce or dissolution. In marriage, this marital oath is necessary to prevent unwanted causal and temporary marriages, beside that both parties must work on this contract to create a happy family life. When women in Islam know the importance of the marital oath, then they will have power to prevent unwanted casual and temporary marriages, beside that both parties must work on this contract to create a happy family life.

To legalize a marriage contract, the husband must have to give dowry to the wife, and the marriage must be done in the presence of at least two witnesses.[5] The Quran says ‘Give women their dowry as a free gift; but if they choose to make over to you of it, you may regard it as lawfully yours”[6] (Quran 4:2). In addition, the bride has exclusive right to stipulate her own conditions in the contract, and the marriage can be legalized by accepting or by rejecting the bride’s conditions.[7] By knowing that a woman has power in her marriage contract to demand her own requirements, she empowers herself. For example, now she can insist in her marriage contract that during their conjugal life, the husband is not allowed to have a second wife. By having this demand, she can remove the risk of her husband having a co-wife.

In conjugal life a husband gets the leadership to guide the family. According to the Quran and Sunnah, if the man does not follow the guidelines, then automatically the leadership is transferred to the wife, or the wife has the right to correct her husband’s leadership, with love and wisdom. The main target in conjugal life is following Islamic teaching.

By entering marital life, a woman obtains financial, emotional and physical security, peace and tranquility. ‘Rights of dowry’ which she is entitled to at the beginning of the marriage contract, is her absolute right. She obtains her full maintenance from her husband even if she has no need of it. Whatever wealth she has, all property acquired by the woman during marriage, or property that she brought into the marriage (including her dowry), remain exclusively hers; the husband cannot claim as much as a hundredth part of it.[8] In addition, she is encouraged to earn if she has capability to do so; as the holy Prophet says, “The most blessed earning is what a person gains from his own labor.”[9] She has a right to earn money and posses her wealth, but she is not required to spend on the household. If she spends her money on the household, it will count as charity. Women can empower themselves by reclaiming Islamic rights. For example: In this institute, Muslim women know that men are the protectors and providers of the family, and women are the organizers, managers and bankers of this institute. Both should treat each other as their equal partners, as God commands in the Quran. Men earn wealth and money; women spend these in order to manage a strong household for the rest of the family. If a Muslim woman knows her financial rights and her rights to choose what she wants to do with her talents and skills, then she will have power to decide what she wants to do in her life.

In Islam women have absolute sexual rights, like men. The holy Prophet encouraged Muslim men to be the best to their wives if they want to be the best Muslim in the world. As he said, “The most perfect of believers in the matter of faith is he whose behavior is best; and the best of you are those who behave best towards their wives.”[10] He insisted that a strong Muslim must have more civil and kind behavior towards his wife. As it is attributed to Muhammad:

“Not one of you should fall upon his wife like an animal; but let there first be a messenger between you.” “And what is that messenger?” they asked, and he replied: “Kisses and words.” “When one of you have sex with your wife, it is a rewarded act of charity.” The Companions were surprised and said, “But we do it purely out of our desire. How can it be counted as charity?” The Prophet replied, “If you had done it with a forbidden woman, it would have been counted as a sin, but if you do it in legitimacy, it is counted as charity.” He also said, “No solution is ever better for two people who are in love like marriage.”[11]

Marriage gives both husband and wife sexual intimacy with innocent love and pleasure. According to the Islamic tradition, “To have a pleasnt odour and clean bodies at the time of love-making is necessary for both husband and wife.”[12] Both parties are obligated to fulfill both parties physical needs in order to achieve greater happiness in their marital life. By knowing her sexual rights, Muslim women can come out from their passive sexualtiy, and actively enjoy her sexual life with her husband, in addition, she can demand her sexual rights, and plesures from her husband openly without feeling shame on it.

As mentioned above, the judgment of a Muslim man as ‘best’ or not, is justified by his relationship with his wife. If a Muslim wife proudly delares that she has the ‘best man’ in her life as a husband, then that man must be the ‘best person’ in his Muslim society. Islam seriously considers the wife’s testimony about her husband’s character. Therefore, a Muslim man is commanded, in variaous situations, to act thoughtfully towards his wife. It is the husband’s duty to provide a secure shelter for his wife, where the wife has a right to live with peace and dignity, and without worrying about losing the comfort. Indeed, love and tranquility are the main essences in Muslim marital relationships. As God commands, “Of His signs is this: that He created for you spouses that you might find rest in them, and He ordained between you love and mercy.”[13] Islam is a peaceful religion, having peace in her conjugal life is an Islamic right. Now a Muslim wife knows a peaceful family is dependant on both parties negotiation, so she can demand her husband’s co-operation in this matter.

As a wife, a Muslim woman deserves respect about her identity, personality, appearance, and attitude. She is allowed to keep her own name as her identity. ‘A wife has apersonality, different from a husband’s and he has no right to try to destroy it and make it conform to his own.’[14] Instead, a faithful husband knows that God creates him and his spouse, therefore, he never tries to criticize his wife’s personality or dignity, rather he must encourage her to grow with him spiritually, intellectually, and educationally as his soul mate, like Prophet Mohammad did with his wives. For example, Aisha (rn), beloved wife of the prophet became a prominent scholar. The prophet said: “Learn half of the Deen (principles of Faith) form me and the other half form Aisha”[15] When a wife gets the feeling of fulfilling her identity, she becomes the best wife for her husband as well. Only women can obtain this fulfilling identity, when she learns her Islamic rights. By knowing her rights in Islam, she develops her self-esteem, self-respect and identity, and prevents herself any kind of verbal and physical abuses from her life-partner.

In fact, Islam emphasizes both husband and wife to be loyal, sympathetic, lovable and gentle towards each other in order to achieve greater emotional tranquility, which is the main resource in conjugal life. After living a highly demanding social, political and religious life, the prophet always found his time to spend with his wives with peaceful innocent play and fun. Consequently, every wife deserves the same manners form her husband like Prophet Muhammad. According to Al-kaysi, “This may be spent in entertainments, enjoying each other’s company, playing sports or any other pastime permitted by Islam.”[16] Often using kind words towards a wife is highly encouraged in Islam to create emotional richness in wife’s life. If a wife makes a mistake, a husband is encouraged to avoid it. The Prophet Muhammad said, “Let no Muslim man entertain any rancor against a Muslim woman. Should he dislike one quality in her, he would find another which is pleasing.”[17] By ordering men to have positive attitudes toward their wives, Islam encourages the creation of harmony in life, the basic human right of every single woman in the world. When a Muslim wife knows that she deserves innocent conjugal funs and quality times from her husband, then she can claim it from him, and make him understand no matter what he have to fulfill her rights.

Wives have rights over husbands, and husbands have rights over wives, every day in every aspect of life. A Muslim family is organized by the Quranic Law and the traditional life of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). Al-Aswad ibn Yazid asked to Aisha (rn), “What did the prophet use to do about the house?” she answered, “He would do chores for his family, and then, whenever he heard the call for prayer, he would go out to pray.”[18] According to this hadith, in everyday house chores, the husband has the responsibility to help his wife, and the wife has a right to this help. To raise children, a mother needs to do lots of work and the husband must follow the Islamic tradition and help his wife, in order to have healthy, intelligent, well-mannered children. “A man is guardian to his family and responsible for all in his care. A woman is guardian to the house of her husband and responsible for all in her care.”[19] Consequently, children are under care of both parents. Therefore, doing groceries, taking children to the doctor, helping children with schoolwork, making meals for children, educating them in Islamic values, are the responsibilities of both parents. Both parents can negotiate for which parent will do what for their children. In Islam, a wife is not required to do all the house chores and childcare; it is a good husband who is, not only a good provider, but also a good helper in these matters. Usually, in all society, women do the most of the house chores and spend most of the time for taking care of children, but in a Muslim family, if the wife has knowledge of Islam, then she can re-claim the Prophet’s sunnah in her household, and enjoy an egalitarian family life.

According to the Hadith and Quran, a mother has absolute rights over her children. For children, the paradise lies under the feet of a mother. Islam demand children’s obedience and kindness towards both parents, but the mother’s status is higher than father’s status. According to the Hadith:

Abu Hurairah relates that a man came to the Holy prophet and asked: Messenger of Allah, which of all the people is best entitled to kind treatment and the good companionship from me? He said: Your mother. And after her? He said: Your mother. And after her? He said: Your mother. And after her? Your father.[20]

In Islam, children have no choice but listen to their parents, except when parents ask them to do something which is against Islam. In the Quran Allah commands:

And We have enjoined on the human being in (regard to) his two parents - his mother bore him in weakness upon weakness, and his weaning was two years - Give thanks to Me and to your parents. To Me is the goal. But if they strive with you to associate with Me (gods) you do not know about, then do not obey them. But keep company with them both in the world in an honorable manner, and follow the path of who repents to Me. Then I will tell you what you have worked.[21] - Surah Luqman ayat 14-15

In other words, the Quran makes it clear that Muslim children must behave with honorable manners towards their parents, even if the parents do not follow the teaching of Islam. The holy Quran and Hadiths address mother’s rights with Allah’s rights. After the God, and his messenger, children have to follow mothers’ instruction in order to achieve greater success in here and hereafter. When a mother needs any help from children, children are commanded try to fulfill mother’s demand. Every day is a mother’s day in Islam with love, respect, and obedience; children must listen whatever a mother wants from them if it does not go against Islam. A Muslim mother has rights over her children, especially over her son, to get fair financial, mental, physical and social welfare when the son is mature enough to handle the responsibilities of looking after his mother. Islam emphasizes to take care of daughters more gently than sons. Parents are encouraged to give gifts first to their daughters, then their sons. The Prophet (pbuh ) said, “He who brings up two girls through their childhood will appear on the Day of Judgment attached to me like two fingers of a hand.”[22] Daughters and sons must be treated equally on behalf of education, food, shelter, clothes, and love and mercy. By knowing the Islamic rights as a mother, a Muslim woman raises her children with dignity. She knows her children will be a source of joy for her in here and hereafter.

The rights of divorce are with wives, if the marriage contract does not work, and she does not feel any attraction towards her husband. For example: Masruq asked Aisha about the giving to a wife the option of divorce and she answered, “The prophet did give such an option to us his wives-now do you consider that to be one of the tree steps of the Islamic divorce procedure? To this Masruq replied, “I pay no attention as to whether I give a wife a single option for divorce or a hundred, if she takes me as her opinion!” So to give a wife the option of divorce is not considered a part of the three oaths of Islamic divorce.[23]

Muslim women have two forms of rights to divorce or end the marriage contact. With the first form, she can use Talaq al Tawfid or delegated divorce. At the marriage contract, husbands give their consent that their wives will have the power to pronounce the Talaq like them in order to end the marriage contract. The second form is of dissolution of marriage, called Khula. Through this form, wives seek divorce in return for re- payment, such as return of her dowry to become free from their marriage contract. To dissolve the marriage through Khula, a wife does not need any specific reason, she can state that she is not happy in her marital life, therefore, she needs Khula.[24] By knowing the rights of divorce, a Muslim wife knows how she will act when the marital life will go astray. She will not fear her culture, and social demand. If she feels she needs to end the marriage, she has the right to do so. Consequently, knowing this right to divorce, gives her power to make her own decision.

In Islam, child custody is always in favor of the mother. To have children in her custody, a mother has to fulfill some characteristics for the sake of the children. She has to have a sound mind, good character, and is not be involved in another marital relationship. The beauty of Islam is the mother’s right to have custody of children, but the fathers have to provide all expenses for the children. If the child is breastfed, the mother has the right to ask for maintenance from the father, until the child becomes two years old. When a Muslim woman has knowledge that after divorce she will not lose child custody, this knowledge will empower her to make the right decision.

2. Inheritance Rights

According to the holy Quran:

Allah commands you as regards your children's (inheritance); to the male, a portion equal to that of two females; if (there are) only daughters, two or more, their share is two thirds of the inheritance; if only one, her share is half. For parents, a sixth share of inheritance to each if the deceased left children; if no children and the parents are the (only) heirs, the mother has a third; if the deceased left brothers or (sisters), the mother has a sixth. (The distribution in all cases is) after the payment of legacies he may have bequeathed or debts. You know not which of them, whether your parents or your children, are nearest to you in benefit, (these fixed shares) are ordained by Allah. And Allah is Ever All Knower, All Wise. [25]

She is also entitled to have her inheritance as a mother, daughter, wife and sister, but she is not obligated to take any financial responsibility. As well as the commitment that her husband will take care of her maintenances, which includes the children. If a woman does not marry, then her brother is responsible to look after her financially. The parents are encouraged in such cases to make sure that their daughter is financially healthy enough to take care herself. In Islam, women are legally free from any kind of financial responsibilities; hence, she is always debt free. Consequently, Muslim women enter marriage with a security-bond, by having a dowry as a security money/wealth, and half of the inheritance from her parents. She is fully entitled to have her wealth and her income, where her father, brother, husband and son have to work for her financial security, spend their money on behalf of her social, spiritual and rational need. For example: If a woman wants to have higher education in spiritual and religious reason, her male relatives have to pay for her education.

Islam gives men more responsibility than women. Men have to take the chairperson position with all the responsibilities baggage on their shoulder. Consequently, Women are more financially stable than their counterparts. In this way, Islam emphasizes equity, not equality, but by having equity in life, a Muslim woman feels freer than any other woman. By knowing her Islamic financial rights, a Muslim woman can wisely choose what she wants to do with her spare time. Since she does not have pressure to earn money, rather she obtains help in every single aspect in her life from her parents, brother, husband and son, she has a lot of time to think about her own life and career.

3. Education and career

Having education is a basic fundamental right in Islam for both men and women. Islam does not have hierarchy position; the higher rank comes through knowledge of Islam. Both sexes are encouraged seeking knowledge as an obligatory duty. First priority of knowledge comes from the holy Quran and Sunnah, academic education is a secondary source of knowledge in Islam.The first revolutionary word in Islam is Iqra which means Read, “Read! In the name of your Lord, Who has created (all that exists), has created man from a clot (a piece of thick coagulated blood)”[26] The holy Quran asks question: ‘Are the wise and the ignorant equal?’ Say: ‘Lord, increase me in knowledge.’[27] God did not restrict these verses only for one specific gender; these verses are widely addressing both sexes. Beside the holy Quran, according to the Prophet’s sunnah, seeking knowledge is obligatory for every single men and women. Consequently, Aisha (rn) became one of the early prominent Islamic scholars, to whom men used to come to learn different braches of knowledge.

In fact, early women in Islam were educated in different fields in Islamic state in Madina and Makka. In religious field by having knowledge of Quan and Sunnah, in literature field by using their talent and skills, in medicine by providing their medical knowledge, skills and talents, in business by accomplishing highest status as entrepreneurs, in politics by being active in social movement.[28] For example: In Jihad: Nusiba bint Kab had special talent, she gave her word to participate in Jihad and indeed she did take part in many battles alongside men. Safiyya – aunt of prophet participated in the battle of Trench. In early Muslim state, Muslim women like her took the responsibility to use their talents and skills in order to create an Islamic state. Asma bint Yazid al-Ansari, outspoken woman used to argue and speak on behalf of her fellow Muslim women. Umm Salama and Aisha never hesitated to ask searching questions and speak their minds. The Prophet took advice from Umm Salama at a crucial moment in Islamic history. Aisha became prominent Judge and scholar in her time. She became a religious authority duringthree Kalipah. Hafsa, the daughter of Omar was active in public affairs; her father had to consult with her regarding the time - political arbitrator between Ali and Muawiyah. Al-Shafa – time of the Omar, became the market inspector in Medina. Some women actively opposed at the time of Omar, about dowries. Aisha against Ali, Talha, Zubayr and other males followed her, battle of camel.[29](84-87).

All of the pioneer Muslim women worked side by side with their male counterparts, and developed the first Muslim state. A Muslim woman has Islamic knowledge and academic knowledge both to obtain their religious and social duty in order to achieve greater success in their lives in here and hereafter. When a Muslim woman knows the pioneer Muslim women’s education, dedication, and motivation of struggles to achieve the highest status as a Muslim, she will try to reclaim these qualities in her own life to achieve her own goal.

In conclusion, a woman in Islam has rights as a person like a man. She can keep her name, her identity, her personality and her all property including her income. In her parental home, she has rights to be treated just like her brother in education, and protection in order to achieve her rational goal. A Muslim woman has the right to propose to a man. By entering into marital commitment, she obtains her dowry and maintenances (including her children) from her husband. She gets her inheritances as a mother, daughter, sister and wife. Although a son gets twice the inheritance of a daughter, in reality this son (as a brother) has the responsibility to look after the daughter (sister) when she needs financial help. She has the right to divorce her husband without losing custody of her child. Her sexuality is highly recognized in Islam, her husband is commanded to make her sexual satisfied. Her emotional right is always protected inIslam. As a Muslim wife, she deserves peace and tranquility in her life from her husband. By obtaining Islamic knowledge, which is compulsory for both men and women, she recognizes her rights of Islam. By having academic knowledge in which she has the same right as her brother, she acknowledges the power of knowledge. By practicing her knowledge of Islam, she empowers herself, and reclaims her Islamic status again like the pioneer Muslim women. Because now she knows Islam gives her more rights than any other religion in the world.

[1] Khan, Mushsin. Noble Quran (Arabic and English). King Fahd Printing Complex. Mecca. Saudi Arabia, 20:21.
[2] Husain, Athar. Prophet Muhammad and His Mission. Asia Publishing House, London. 1967. 204.
[3] Khan, Mushsin. Noble Quran (Arabic and English). King Fahd Printing Complex. Mecca. Saudi Arabia. 2:281.
[4] Awde, Nicholas. Women in Islam: an anthology from the Quran and Hadthis/translated and edited. New York: St. Martin;s Press, 2000, 64.
[5]Rahman, Fazlur. A Survey of Modernization of Muslim family law. International Journal of Middle East Studies. Cambridge University press. Vol. 11. No 4. 1980. 455.
[6] Khan, Mushsin. Noble Quran (Arabic and English). King Fahd Printing Complex. Mecca. Saudi Arabia. 4:2.
[7] Haifaa A. Jawad. The Rights of Women in Islam: An Authentic Approach. Macmillan Press Lid. 1998.35.
[8] Hallaq, Wael B. The origins and evolution of Islamic law. Cambridge; New York, Cambridge Press, 2005, 23.
[9]Rahman, Fazlur. A Survey of Modernization of Muslim family law. International Journal of Middle East Studies. Cambridge university press. Vol. 11. No 4. 1980. 453.
[10] Khan, Muhammad Zafrulla. Gardens of the Righteous/ translated and edited. London, Curzon Press, 1975. 68.
[11] Heba G. Kotb M.D., Sexuality in Islam, PhD Thesis, Maimonides University, 2004. 196.
[12] Al-Kaysi, Marwan Ibrahim. Morals and Manners in Islam. United Kingdom, The Islamic Foundation. 1996.122.
[13] Khan, Mushsin. Noble Quran (Arabic and English). King Fahd Printing Complex. Mecca. Saudi Arabia.30:21.
[14] Al-Kaysi, Marwan Ibrahim. Morals and Manners in Islam. United Kingdom, The Islamic Foundation. 1996.92.
[15] Sharma, Arvind and Katherine K. Young. Women Speak on World Religion: Her Voice Her Faith. Westveiw Press, USA. 2003. 241
[16] Al-Kaysi, Marwan Ibrahim. Morals and Manners in Islam. United Kingdom, The Islamic Foundation. 1996. 91.
[17] Khan, Muhammad Zafrulla. Gardens of the Righteous/ translated and edited. London, Curzon Press, 1975. 67.
[18] Awde, Nicholas. Women in Islam: an anthology from the Quran and Hadthis/translated and edited. New York: St. Martin;s Press, 2000. 110.
[19] Ibid.,107.
[20] Khan , Muhammad Muhsin. The translation of the Meaning of Sahih Al-Bukhari, Darussalm publishers and distriburors. Riyah, Saudi Arabia. Vol 4. 78.
[21]Khan, Mushsin. Noble Quran (Arabic and English). King Fahd Printing Complex. Mecca. Saudi Arabia. 31:14-15.
[22] Khan, Muhammad Zafrulla. Gardens of the Righteous/ translated and edited. London, Curzon Press. 1975. 66.
[23] Awde, Nicholas. Women in Islam: an anthology from the Quran and Hadthis/translated and edited. New York: St. Martin;s Press, 2000. 21.
[24] Awde, Nicholas. Women in Islam: an anthology from the Quran and Hadthis/translated and edited. New York: St. Martin;s Press, 2000. 81.
[25] Khan, Mushsin. Noble Quran (Arabic and English). King Fahd Printing Complex. Mecca. Saudi Arabia. 4:11.
[26]Khan, Mushsin. Noble Quran (Arabic and English). King Fahd Printing Complex. Mecca. Saudi Arabia.96:1-2.
[27] Haifaa A. Jawad. The Rights of Women in Islam: An Authentic Approach. Macmillan Press Lid. 1998. 17.
[28] Ibid., 21-23.
[29] Haifaa A. Jawad. The Rights of Women in Islam: An Authentic Approach. Macmillan Press Lid. 1998. 84-87.

Written by Sultana Tawfica

wayofthesalaf

SubhanaAllah, sister you truelly amazed me with your incredible story. May Allah keep you steadfast in your deen, and reward you the fards. You inspired me and I am sure all the other Muslim American women who reside in the heart of fitnah. May Allah be pleased with you, I totally admire your strength sister.

Idil I will die as a believer inshaAllah

saifullah30

Mashallah

Reading about your life experience is extremelly thought provoking, leading to myself being inspired by your jazba

have faith

wannabe_muttaqi

A MUSLIM BROTHER
ASAK, JAzakallahuma Khair for the post, its a wonderful story, I ask ALLAH SWT to make all the sisters understand the importance of Hijab...AMEEN

diamond

salam

brilliant article, thank you for sharing

it is Allah who guides

the mercy of Allah...untouchable

Status
Not open for further replies.