Why is Pakistan not a part of G20

Calvin

I was going through the list of G20 member countries and was surprised to find that Pakistan was not a member. Is Pakistan not considered an economic power/influence or is it another of those 'schemes' by the western countries to keep it at bay? I am looking forward to comments/replies from those who understand the global economics (and Asia in particular).

Is it true that one of the reason was Pakistan's weak economy is rampant corruption in the government (top to bottom) in the "Islamic" states? I have heard that nothing happens unless you bribe the government officials. Is that true? If Yes, then thats a sad state for an Islamic nation.

The surprising part is that a lot of its neighbours are members of G20. I wonder what this says about the character of the country.

Membership
The G-20 is made up of the finance ministers and central bank governors of 19 countries: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States of America, and also the European Union who is represented by the rotating Council presidency and the European Central Bank. To ensure global economic fora and institutions work together, the Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the President of the World Bank, plus the chairs of the International Monetary and Financial Committee and Development Committee of the IMF and World Bank, also participate in G-20 meetings on an ex-officio basis. The G-20 thus brings together important industrial and emerging-market countries from all regions of the world. Together, member countries represent around 90 per cent of global gross national product, 80 per cent of world trade (including EU intra-trade) as well as two-thirds of the world's population. The G-20's economic weight and broad membership gives it a high degree of legitimacy and influence over the management of the global economy and financial system.

mhamzah

I was going through the list of G20 member countries and was surprised to find that Pakistan was not a member. Is Pakistan not considered an economic power/influence or is it another of those 'schemes' by the western countries to keep it at bay? I am looking forward to comments/replies from those who understand the global economics (and Asia in particular).

Is it true that one of the reason was Pakistan's weak economy is rampant corruption in the government (top to bottom) in the "Islamic" states? I have heard that nothing happens unless you bribe the government officials. Is that true? If Yes, then thats a sad state for an Islamic nation.

The surprising part is that a lot of its neighbours are members of G20. I wonder what this says about the character of the country.

Membership
The G-20 is made up of the finance ministers and central bank governors of 19 countries: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States of America, and also the European Union who is represented by the rotating Council presidency and the European Central Bank. To ensure global economic fora and institutions work together, the Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the President of the World Bank, plus the chairs of the International Monetary and Financial Committee and Development Committee of the IMF and World Bank, also participate in G-20 meetings on an ex-officio basis. The G-20 thus brings together important industrial and emerging-market countries from all regions of the world. Together, member countries represent around 90 per cent of global gross national product, 80 per cent of world trade (including EU intra-trade) as well as two-thirds of the world's population. The G-20's economic weight and broad membership gives it a high degree of legitimacy and influence over the management of the global economy and financial system.

Hello,

Pakistan is not part of G20 member countries because it is part of G20 developing nations. lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G20_developing_nations

Lets address the Islamic state issue first. Pakistan (or Islamic republic of Pakistan) has a Muslim majority (in the sense that the majority of the people living there call themselves Muslims*), but the Laws of the country are not Islamic nor are the pratices of many people Islamic but are rather based on their culture. In addition I cannot think of any law (from the top of my head) in Pakistan which is based on the principle of Shariah (Islamic Law) in its entirety. Since we are talking about G20 and the economy, I'll just stick to the economic law.

*: A Muslim is one who Submitts his will to the Will of Allah (God). More on that can be found here; http://islamtomorrow.com/definition.asp#submission

The problem lies in the education system as far as this matter is concerned. Emphasis is on route learning and this goes for the Arabic and Quran as well. Thus you will find many people in Pakistan who have memorised the entire Quran (or large portion of it), however there are not many scholars, atleast not as much as they should be. Ever since the British left, many have tried to revive the previous educational system where emphasis was given to both Quran and secular studies, however such attempts have been unsuccessful. However what was achieved in the process is that Pakistan neither follows the British educational system nor the model adopted by earlier Muslims.

Regarding bribery: Well its not that simple, having said that corruption is rampant and is a significant factor for the weak economy. As far as economic model or policies followed by Pakistan are virtually the same that is followed in rest of the world (they are not that properly regulated though). Every bank in Pakistan deals with interest, in addition there is no credible regulatory body. Govt. itself is under pressure from IMF AND world bank to adopt policies that are against the interest of ordinary people of Pakistan. (This too has led to anti-US sentiment in Pakistan as they see no difference between US AND IMF AND WB).

I'll refer you to documentary - Islam and America through the eyes of Imran Khan -- http://www.journeyman.tv/?lid=9022

confessions such as these don't help the matter either - 'Confession of an Economic Hitman' -- http://www.democracynow.org/2004/11/9/confessions_of_an_economic_hit_man

Having said that western economic system is in a financial crisis itself that has seen lately;

Violent riots & Protests In London - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7975597.stm

Sarkozy under pressure - http://article.wn.com/view/2009/03/20/Sarkozy_under_pressure_as_French_protests_hit_streets/

U.S. - You yourself will be better informed of that.

Islamic economic system is much different to the western capitalist model. The major difference is that economic system is interest free and investing in businesses that provide goods or services considered Haram (forbidden) is not allowed.

Having said that Pakistani are amongst the most hospitable people you will ever come accross and there is no lack of talent amongst the people either.

Whilst I was writing this post a friend of mine has forwarded me this Link - http://www.express.com.pk/epaper/Article.aspx?newsID=1100594407&Date=20090402&Issue=NP_LHE

Let me find an English transcript.

Pakistan enjoy a good relationship with its neighbour with the exception of India (both country have fought 4 wars over the disputed territory of Kashmir). Relationship with Afghanistan suffered ever since the US led war on Afganistan, things are improving though. China is a close ally of Pakistan. Relationship with Iran has been healthy too.

Salam (Peace)

Calvin

Thanks a lot for your detialed response. Appreciate it.

One question though - India is a also a developing nation (if I am not wrong) but its a part of G20 member countries. How so?

I wanted to paste the G20 website which lists the countries but can't as I do not have enough posts to do so.

Thanks again.

mhamzah

Thanks a lot for your detialed response. Appreciate it.

One question though - India is a also a developing nation (if I am not wrong) but its a part of G20 member countries. How so?

I wanted to paste the G20 website which lists the countries but can't as I do not have enough posts to do so.

Thanks again.

Hello,

Don't worry about the G20 List. I have got it. Yes India is a developing country and its true that India economic situation has been better than Pakistan. That is due to number of factors, firstly India has been lucky in the sense that leader behind their indepedence J. Nehru survived for 2 decades after Indian independece while Pakistani indepedenc leader Mohammad A. Jinnah survived just one year and thus Pakistan early existance and security was a major issues at that time so the army stepped in and ever since the trend has continued and there has been power struggle. Pakistan has not been able to set up good institutions (because who ever came in was more concerned about his survival and making himself secure).

India compared to Pakistan is 7 times larger both in terms of human population (1100 Million approx. & 160 Million respectively) and in terms of geographical area. India has a much better educational system than Pakistan has. Whilst India concentrated on developing its own industries the elities & govt personals in Pakistan tooks loans from IMF and WB and the money never was used for the intended purpose, thus Pakistan has never been able to disaccoiate itself from IMF and WB and these two institution now dictate the terms which are against the common interests of ordinary Pakistan,

Having said that whilst India has done well, in terms of GDP growth rate and per capita income, India too has many of its own problems which are not often highlighted in the corporate media (specially in the west) that often for some odd reasons. The disparrty between rich and poor and between one state and another is rising. Despite economic growth, powerty in India has increased and in state such as Bihar and Orissa and others are amongst the worst in the world. Corruption is a major issue in India as well.

http://www.insaf.pk/Media/Videos/tabid/62/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/1391/Default.aspx

http://www.paklinks.com/gs/video-ga...lloway-lays-into-musharraf-mqm-june-14-a.html

Salam