Why is pork haram?

Bilal Ahmed

Islam my way of life
Asalaam Alaykum,

This might be a stupid question but i want to now.

Why is pig or pork haram? Was it always haram for us?

F

fabs

Because the Jews said it was too. LOL
No seriously. Perhaps because eating pig in the Middle-East back then was dangerous for your health? Bacteria?

Globalpeace

Banned
Pork dangerous in Middle-East? O Man, O Man!

Fabs,

You are so wise my "19 year old". I suppose that they must import Pork from the Middle-East in US & that's why FDA research presents the following facts:

This is scandoulous, first they relied on Middle-East oil & now its PORK! O my God!

1) The meat and fat of a pig absorbs toxins like a sponge. Their meat can be 30 times more toxic than beef or venison

2) When eating beef or venison, it takes 8 to 9 hours to digest the meat so what little toxins are in the meat are slowly put into our system and can be filtered by the liver. But when pork is eaten, it takes only 4 hours to digest the meat. We thus get a much higher level of toxins within a shorter time.

3) Swine and pigs have over a dozen parasites within them, such as tapeworms, flukes, worms, and trichinae. There is no safe temperature at which pork can be cooked to ensure that all these parasites, their cysts,and eggs will be killed

4) Pig meat has twice as much fat as beef. A 3 oz T bone steak contains 8.5 grams of fat; a 3 oz pork chop contains 18 grams of fat. A 3 oz beef rib has 11.1 grams of fat; a 3 oz pork spare rib has 23.2 grams of fat

5) Cows have a complex digestive system, having four stomachs. It thus takes over 24 hours to digest their vegetarian diet causing its food to be purified of toxins. In contrast, the swine's one stomach takes only about 4 hours to digest its foul diet, turning its toxic food into flesh.

Because the Jews said it was too. LOL
No seriously. Perhaps because eating pig in the Middle-East back then was dangerous for your health? Bacteria?

jamilgame

does it also have something to do with the people of the sabbath mentioned in quran who wer turned into swines and monkeys ive heard they were the first swines they came fom these ppl thats its haram, but ive only heard that, but pigs are very bad for human digestion, but why its Haram Allah(swt)
knows best we shouldn't question his judgement.

does it also have something to do with the people of the sabbath mentioned in quran who wer turned into swines and monkeys ive heard they were the first swines they came fom these ppl thats its haram, but ive only heard that, but pigs are very bad for human digestion, but why its Haram Allah(swt)
Not only pork meat is dirty and bad for the human digestion, but you also have to understand that this life is a test for Muslims. Allah has forbidden some things and permits us to eat most things. Do you see the test in this? Allah is testing the believers in this life, so that we follow Him by whats in the Quran and the sunnahs of the Prophet (saw). If there was no tests and we could do whatever we wanted to in this life, then it would be meaningless.

Globalpeace

Banned
Logic or Qur'aan and Sunnah!

Asslamo Allaikum Brother,

Apparently NOT because of two reasons:

1) The people who were transformed into "Apes [word used & not monkeys in the Qur'aan] & Pig" didn't reproduce so the race of mutated people didn't carry

2) The reasons for transforming the above is not linked to the Prohibition in the Qur'aan; otherwise Apes would be in the same category (like pigs) & as you know that they are not.

Allah (SWT) knows "the reasons" for this command; we are trying to analyse it in the light of "science" & our reasons no matter how logical may or may not be true; so Qur'aan and Sunnah are supreme

Source for 1 & 2: Tafseer Ibn Katheer (RA)

F

fabs

We the apes and pigs....

The Jewish explanation for dietary laws(Kashrut) for this is generally that, its not for health reasons bu for self-discipline as well as a way to remember God everytime you sit down at a table to eat.

Globalpeace

Banned
Fabs, A 19 Year old Jew from Brussels! Welcome to TTI, My Friend

Fabs,

You a Jew then!

How lovely! How is your learning about Islam going then Jew?

Welcome to TTI.

The Jewish explanation for dietary laws(Kashrut) for this is generally that, its not for health reasons bu for self-discipline as well as a way to remember God everytime you sit down at a table to eat.

You also have to understand that the first Prophet, Adam (pbuh) was tested, so Muslims are also being tested in this life--that which Allah has made permissible and that which Allah has forbidden (pork, alochol, smoking, etc)

abdul Qadir

remember death
:salam2:

"These are the limits set by Allah so approach them not." [2:187]
"And whosoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger and transgresses His limits, He will cast him into the Fire, to abide therein, and he shall have a disgraceful torment." [4:14]
"Whatever I forbid you, then avoid it, and whatever I enjoined, then perform of it what you can." (Muslim)

what ever is forbidden by Allah and His prophet (peace and bleasings of Allah be upon him) then its not good for us and what ever we are commanded to do is good for us. so if Allah says pork is haram for us then dont ask why ..... follow the command

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
:salam2:

"These are the limits set by Allah so approach them not." [2:187]
"And whosoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger and transgresses His limits, He will cast him into the Fire, to abide therein, and he shall have a disgraceful torment." [4:14]
"Whatever I forbid you, then avoid it, and whatever I enjoined, then perform of it what you can." (Muslim)

what ever is forbidden by Allah and His prophet (peace and bleasings of Allah be upon him) then its not good for us and what ever we are commanded to do is good for us. so if Allah says pork is haram for us then dont ask why ..... follow the command

Dont ask why?

I think you did not read the complete thread I refered. Did you forget the story of Prophet Musa (A.S). He asked Allah SWT how will he bring the dead to life. Then Allah SWT asked Prophet Musa if he has doubt. Then Prophet Musa (A.S) said he just want to make it heart/faith strengthening.

wassalaam,
VE

Globalpeace

Banned
Pork forbidden in all Abrahamic Religions!

W-Salam Brother,

Fabs was write in suggesting that PORK is forbidden in all Abrahamaic religions (Islam, Christianity & Juda'ism).

It is also recommended to be avoided by most health departments of the world due to some of the reasons that I have highlighted.

Asalaam Alaykum,

This might be a stupid question but i want to now.

Why is pig or pork haram? Was it always haram for us?

Tahar

Pig is such a filthy animal. And modern science is just learning of the health threats its meat poses. Allah forbade its consumption for many reasons we know and others we still don't know.

It's like alcohol, 1400 years ago people would know about some of its bad effects like clouded judgment and its threat to the family's unity. But they would not have thought of the modern problem of drunk-driving for example which takes thousands of people's lives each day.

PS: The old testament forbids it too, but Paul seems to have changed the law in the New Testament.

visionusman

being content
pork is haraam because God ,ade it haraam. it is as simple as that. Why don't the christains eat dogs? where is the religous tradition that allows pork but forbids dogs? and if dogs are not forbidden then why are they not eaten in the west?

Serioulsy however the reasons for disallowing pork are numerous.
1. the animal is extremely filthy. This has nothing to do with human hygiene, but rather this; that an animal which has such dirty habits that it will even eat it's own excreta, should not be consumed by humans. Not because it will be bad for our health, but because it will be bad for our spiritual being.

2. the animal is extremely shameless. if two males of any other species want to have sexual intercourse with one female they usually fight. however pigs would just take turns. many pigs would simply get in line for that one female. This again has an influence over our spiritaul beings. There are other reasons too, some of which are health related, but the bottom line is we do what God commands us to do. How else can any one decide what is ok to eat and what isn't? what about cats? why not dogs? well the argument could last for ever.

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
Thanks for the link virtual. I always thought that pork was haram because they will eat excrement. That seems to be a common denominator in the haram animal group. In the end, I believe it is haram because Allah made it so and that is a good enough reason for me.

Izzu

:salam2: Islam means submitting to the will of Allah swt.
He swt forbade few things and made the rest of things halal. Pork may be the best thing on earth but my rabb (Allah swt) prohibited me from eating it and I submit to his will. It is as simple as that.
There may be different reasons for this prohibition but I guess on the day of judgement, it ont be about pig being dirty or unclean. I guess it will be about obeying Allah swt.
BTW Silk and Gold are haram for men but not for women. Should we try to find reasons there as well or just simply follow the commandments.
:wasalam:

abdullah1111

asslamoalykom

ummm...I think it was prophet Ibrahem(as)
Dont ask why?

I think you did not read the complete thread I refered. Did you forget the story of Prophet Musa (A.S). He asked Allah SWT how will he bring the dead to life. Then Allah SWT asked Prophet Musa if he has doubt. Then Prophet Musa (A.S) said he just want to make it heart/faith strengthening.

wassalaam,
VE

About pigs, we are not allowed to eat any animal that eats flesh. Pigs, monkeys, dogs, donkeys, lions,hyenas, tigers, wolves, foxes, snakes, etc.
Pigs are especially mentioned because people ate them but not many people ate hyenas. The pigs job is to eat waste(poo) and my dad told me they were created for prophet nuh(as) and had the bottom floor of the ark for keeping the boat clean.