Why the west is so scared of Quran or Islam I should say?

Wiseguy74

Mahfouz School Stirs Uproar in Italy

By Noha Hussein, IOL Correspondent

ROME — Naguib Mahfouz, a private bilingual elementary school in Milan, is fighting for existence after a demonizing campaign by right-wing parties and the media.

"The school was born out of the need of thousands of Egyptian families in Milan, who want their children to have an education certificate valid in Egypt," the school's headmaster Mrs. Lidia Acerboni told IslamOnline.net.

The new bilingual elementary and primary school was created to fulfil the need of Egyptian parents to teach their children their culture, the Arabic language and Islam.

But the school is open to both Italian and Arab children, Christian or Muslim.

"It is run by Italians and Arabs and stands as an example of a healthy integration," maintains Mrs. Acerboni.

The bilingual school offers both the Italian and the Egyptian syllabus, offered by the Egyptian consulate, and teaches Christianity and Islam.

The school is named after Egypt's most celebrated author who passed away on Wednesday, August30 , at the age of94 , several weeks after his health abruptly deteriorated.

In1988 , Mahfouz became the first, and so far the only, Arab writer to be awarded the prestigious Nobel Prize for literature, notably for the universal character of his art, which was considered a metaphor for relations between people in communities worldwide.

Uproar

The school, which had the authorization of the minister of education, came under scrutiny after a concentrated media campaign that warned Italians against having a Qur'an school in Milan.

It was shut down by the municipality of Milan only one day after operation on claims of not complying with safety regulations.

"The main two messages communicated through the Italian media are that the school is not conforming with safety regulations and that a Qur'an school where terrorism and violence is taught is unacceptable," one of the Italian officials responsible for monitoring schools told IOL on condition of anonymity.

He said the issue of regulations is being used as excuse.

"The school conforms with the regulations. The issue is far from safe regulations."

The Mahfouz school occupies a three-floor building and has all the requirements of a school building, including bathroom for impaired persons.

The school existence is opposed by the Lega Nord party, the far right political party in Italy.

"Milano cristiana, mai mussulmana", [Milan is Christian and never Muslim] and "Scuola di Corano mai a Milano" [Never a Qur'an school in Milan] are but few of the banners flied by the party during a demonstration outside the school.

"They are the problem not us," said Matteo Salvini, head of the Milan section of the Lega Nord party.

"Even if they will have the authorization in the future we have great doubts that they want to teach culture and peace to these children that are taken advantage of and used for an illegal hostile act."

But many fathers see the school as an example of an integrated society.

"Najib Mahfouz is a great idea of a well integrated society where these children can know about each other and respect their differences," said one Lebanese parent.

"Me and many Arab families in Milan are keen on putting our children in such a school where they can learn both Italian and Arabic languages as well their own religion either Christianity or Islam."

Banners in support of the school are decorating street walls and shops windows in Lambrate area.

"Lambrate is against racism, in solidarity with via Ventura school," reads one sign.

proudmuslimah

Roma

I lived in Rome during High School and I believe this school would be an absolutely beautiful idea. During my time in Rome, I went to the American Overseas School of Rome, because all the other American and English schools were Catholic. This would be a wonderful option for Italian Muslims (Yes they exist) and Muslim families from around the world that live in Rome. Insh'Allah the protests will stop and the school will win the opportunity to open its doors. I am definitely going to look into this more to see if I can lend my support in anyway.

Thank you for bringing this important issue to the surface.

Wa-salaam :hijabi: