will i get reward ???

ansari

STRANGER...
:salam2:

its sunnah to keep long hairs

Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The hair of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came down between his ears and his shoulders. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5565; Muslim, 2338.

It was narrated from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the hair of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) reached his shoulders. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5563; Muslim, 2338.

so will i get reward if i keep long hairs and im confused about one thing that is wat islam wants our hairs to be i mean some people cut their hair from sides and leave the top hair to grow long is it allowed ???? or our all hair must be equal?

JAZAKALLAH khair

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
Question :

What was the hairstyle of the Prophet ? And what hairstyles are disallowed specifically ?.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

The hairstyle of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is mentioned in a number of ahaadeeth, such as the following:

1 – His hair was neither curly nor straight.

It was narrated that Anas ibn Maalik said, describing the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), he was of average height, neither very tall nor very short. He had a ruddy complexion, neither very white nor very dark, and his hair was neither curly nor straight. The revelation came to him when he was forty years old.

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3354; Muslim, 2338)

2 – His hair came down to his earlobes.

It was narrated that al-Bara’ ibn ‘Aazib (may Allaah hbe pleased with him) said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was of average height and broad shouldered. He had hair that came down to his earlobes. I saw him wearing a red garment and I never saw anyone more handsome than him.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3358; Muslim, 2337

3 – His hair sometimes came down to his shoulders

It was narrated that Qutaadah said: I asked Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) about the hair of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). He said, The hair of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was neither curly nor straight, and came down to a point between his ears and his shoulders.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5565; Muslim, 2337

According to another report, his hair used to touch his shoulders.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5563; Muslim, 2338

Sometimes his hair was shorter than that. All of this may be understood as referring to different situations, and each of the Sahaabah narrated what he had seen.

4 – The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to dye his hair sometimes.

It was narrated that ‘Uthmaan ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Moohib said: I entered upon Umm Salamah and she brought out to us one of the hairs of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) which was dyed.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5558.

Ahmad (25328) added: … dyed with henna and katam.

Katam is a plant that is used to dye the hair. When mixed with henna it gives the hair a colour between black and red. See ‘Awn al-Ma’bood, commentary on hadeeth no. 4205

5 – He used to part his hair.

It was narrated from ‘Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to let his hair hang down over his forehead and the mushrikoon used to part their hair, and the People of the Book used to let their hair hang dpwn over their foreheads. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) liked to be like the People of the Book in matters where there was no specific command. Then the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) parted his hair.

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3365; Muslim, 2336). Some of the scholars discussed the meaning of this hadeeth, and their comments were summed up by Imam al-Nawawi as follows:

The correct view is that both letting the hair hang down over the forehead and parting it are permissible, but that parting is better.

Sharh Muslim, 15/90

6 – The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did his Farewell Pilgrimage when his hair was stuck together.

(This means) making some parts of the hair stick to others using gum or something similar, so that the hair is held together and avoids getting dirty and does not need to be washed. This is easier for the person who is in ihraam, especially in the past when the person in ihram was faced with a lot of dirt and little water.

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I saw the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) raising his voice in the Talbiyah, with his hair stuck together.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5570; Muslim, 1184

7 – The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) sometimes used to braid his hair, especially when travelling, to keep it from getting dusty.

It was narrated that Umm Haani’ said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came from Makkah with four braids.

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1781; Abu Dawood, 4191; Ibn Maajah, 3631. Classed as saheeh by al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar in Fath al-Baari, 10/360.

With regard to the kinds of hairstyles that are forbidden, they are characterized by the following:

1 – al-Qaza’ (lit. tufts), which is where part of the head is shaved and part is left.

It was narrated from Ibn ‘Umar that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade al-qaza’.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5466; Muslim, 3959.

One of the narrators of this hadeeth defines al-qaza’ as shaving part of a child’s head and leaving some of his hair.

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

With regard to shaving part of the head and leaving part, this is of varying degrees.

The worst is shaving the middle of the head and leaving the sides, as the Christian monks do.

After that comes shaving the sides and leaving the middle, as many of the foolish and worthless people do.

After that comes shaving the front of the head and leaving the back.

These three types all come under the heading of qaza’ which was forbidden by the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), but some of them are worse than others.

Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah, 3/1294

2 – Imitating the kaafirs or immoral people.

There are many such hairstyles, some of which come under the heading of qaza’ – such as the “Marines” haircut, which is forbidden for two reasons, the fact that it is a kind of qaza’ and the fact that it is an imitation of the kuffaar. Some of them do not involve qaza’ but they are styles that belong to the kuffaar, such as making some of the hair stand up and letting the rest hang down, and so on.

This also includes every hairstyle that belongs to the kaafirs or immoral people, because it is not permissible for a Muslim to resemble them in that, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”

Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4031. Classed as hasan by al-Haafiz ibn Hajar in Fath al-Baari, 10/271. its isnaad was classed as jayyid by Shaykh al-Islam in Iqtida’ al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem, p. 82.

Shaykh al-Islam said:

The least that we can say about this hadeeth is that it implies that it is haraam to imitate them, although the apparent meaning is that the one who imitates them is a kaafir, as in the verse (interpretation of the meaning):

“And if any amongst you takes them (as Awliyaa’), then surely, he is one of them”

[al-Maa’idah 5:51]

Iqtida’ al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem, p. 83.

Imitating foolish people.

These are hairstyles worn by some of the foolish people, which may be included in the categories mentioned above.

See also question no. 14051

And Allaah knows best.
wa salaam alikom

Dawoodi

salam w

salam walaikum w

if u read the article about the diferent stiles the prophet asaw had his heir u will see he had it in diferent stages.

so as long you dont go away from that its a sunnah and all sunnah its reworded alhamdulillah.

or u rather folow something diferent that the prophet asaw example? its simeple.

salam w.

tdm

brother i just want to know will i get reward if i keep hair like Prophet (SAW)

brother,

assalamualaykum,

Nobody can actually answer your question because only Allah knows...Anyway, it depends on your intention. If you keep long hair to follow sunnah. InsyaAllah probably you get your rewards. If you keep it for stay cool or whatsoever reason, then it is difficult to say...Allah know the best...:muslim_child:

tdm

The image and appearance of man and women today is very much different from the Prophet (saw) time. The long hair seems to be the hair style of a woman rather that man in this modern world. If we keep long hair...isn`t it looks like we imitate the women? Even if our intention is to follow sunnah...Still quite confusing as man imitating women is haram...Any comments my bros and sisters?:confused: :confused: :confused:

ansari

STRANGER...
The image and appearance of man and women today is very much different from the Prophet (saw) time. The long hair seems to be the hair style of a woman rather that man in this modern world. If we keep long hair...isn`t it looks like we imitate the women? Even if our intention is to follow sunnah...Still quite confusing as man imitating women is haram...Any comments my bros and sisters?:confused: :confused: :confused:

my brother im growing my beard:mashallah: and my pant now is above the ankles !
so man with a beard and having long hair will not look like a woman.

tdm

Hahaha...:SMILY303: brother...

What if somebody looking at the back?? Keep in mind that nowadays women also wear pants above the ankles...

Anyway, my question is not specifically towards you. I am just confused as long hair indeed is a common practice of women nowadays. Is it appropreciate to follow this sunnah or not?:confused:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member

Assalamu alaykum, as the brother ShabbazJamil in his post above just said, Muslim men should adopt beard and behave like men. They must have the personality and manners of men.

None of this "metrosexual" weirdo stuff presented as normality in the West.

Remember, it was the Muslims who showed the world what chivalry is.

Wasalam.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
I am just confused as long hair indeed is a common practice of women nowadays. Is it appropreciate to follow this sunnah or not?:confused:

Assalamu Alaykum,

!!??!!

Women have had long hair for a very long time brother. okkkk

It is a sunnah for men to grow their hair long. They do not have to do it, nor is it an obligation, nor do they incur any sin from not growing their hair long (to ears, or shoulder length).

The hadith state this clearly. So, one must obey those and not question or make a quick joke out of it.

Wasalam.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum,

Brother, if you keep your hair long in order to emulate the Prophet :saw: out of your love of him and obedience of Allah in following the Prophet:saw:, then you will get rewarded by Allah for that.

If it is kept for fashion etc, then people should remember, all our actions are judged by their intentions!

The hairstyles disallowed, is shaving the hair from around the head. This was the practise of the Mushrikoon.

You can have your hair lightened, by hairdresser cutting and removing hair, etc. . or have style etc. BUT, not anything that really emulates the non Muslim culture. like trying to look like a Goth or a punk etc.

wasalam

tdm

I understand your points so very well bro Mabsoot and I totally agree with you about intention issues.

Considering I am a man of small size and fair skin who used to be mistaken as lady especially seeing from the back. I doubts whether or not I could follow this sunnah and if I did follow and this kind of mistaken incidents might be even more frequent. To certain extent, this might not be good especially I am judged by others as a muslim man who suppose not to look feminine.

Please understand that I am not saying that we should not follow sunnah but what i am considering is the impact. For the case above, is it helping us to explain others about our religion or the reverse? rewards and intention is not my consideration in this matter. Forgive me if i am wrong...I am here to learn afterall.

tdm

You can have your hair lightened, by hairdresser cutting and removing hair, etc. . or have style etc. BUT, not anything that really emulates the non Muslim culture. like trying to look like a Goth or a punk etc.

wasalam

Assalamualaykum,

Long hair is also one of the non-muslims cultures for those Rock music band youngsters and some artists (males of course) in my country.:muslim_child:

ansari

STRANGER...
:salam2:

my school dont allow me to keep long hair. i mean before they didnt allow me.
now mashallah im growing my beard and my pant is above the ankles. i also want to keep the hair like Prophet(saw) used to keep that is hair till shoulder.

my school allow indian sikhs(sarddar jee) to keep long hair.
if they dont allow me should i fight for it ???
well, i live in muslim country, United Arab Emirates
what u guys say!!

JAZAKALLAH KHAIR