"Wish for something"

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
As-salaamu'alaykum,

May Allah (subhaanahu wa ta'aala) give us good friends. Ameen.

One day, Umar (radiyAllahu anh) said to his companions,

"Wish for something."

One of them said,

"I wish that this house was filled with gold, so that I could then spend it all in the way of Allah and on charitable causes."

Another man said,

"I wish that it was filled with precious gems and jewels, so that I could then spend it all in the way of Allah and on charitable causes."

Umar repeated his question:

"Wish for something."

His companions said,

"We do not know (what to wish for), O Leader of the Believers."

Umar then said,

"I wish that this house was filled with the likes of Abu Ubaidah ibn al-Jarrah, Mu'aadh ibn Jabal, Saalim, the freed slave of Abu Hudhaifah, and Hudhaifah ibn Al-Yamaan (radiyAllahu anhum)."

(The Mustadrak of Al-Haakim (3/266); Adh-Dhahabi ruled that this narration is authentic. Refer also to Ashaab Ar-Rasool 1/174)

- so that I can use them for the obedience of Allah (i.e., so that I can make use of their time, talent, abilities, and strengths in order to further the cause of Islam)."

(Tahdheeb al-Kamaal, 5/505)

According to another narration, Umar explained the true meaning of brotherhood and friendship in Islam:

"Seek out truthful brothers, brothers that you know will care for you (and look out for your best interests). In times of comfort, such (sincere and caring) friends are like decoration pieces (in your gatherings (in that one is pleased to look at them, and is happy to know that they are by one's side)); and in times of hardship, they are like tools (in that they are always willing to help and be of use). Always think the best of your (Muslim) brother, at least until he does something that gives you good cause to be angry (and upset with him). Stay away from your enemies, and be wary of your friends, except for that friend of yours who is trustworthy; and remember that one is not trustworthy unless one fears Allah. Do not keep company with a wicked doer, for if you do keep company with a wicked doer, you will learn from his evil ways. Do not allow a wicked doer to know any of your secrets. And when you need advice, consult only those who fear Allah."

(Mukhtasir Minhaj al-Qasideen, pg. 100; Faraaid al-Kalaam, pg. 139)

Umar longed for the company of good and noble friends. Remembering a friend during one particular night, Umar said:

"Slow is the passing of this night."

The following day, he went out to pray, after which he went to his friend and hugged him.

(Akhbar Umar, pg. 231)

And it is related that Umar would say:

"To go out in the way of Allah, to place my cheek on the ground for the sake of Allah, and to sit among a group of people who pick out beautiful words to say just as fruits are picked out - were it not for these activities, I would long ago have preferred to (die and) meet Allah."

(Ash-Shaikhaan, pg. 225)

ouddene bouziane

barak Allah fikom
we must always go back to our tresor of high morality.
the lesson of this story is for all of us
what do we wish in this life
what are our great hopes ?
to get home and marry with a beaotiful girl and getting high degree of university and obtaining universal reputation or to be a famous star in acting or dancing or singing or sport.
these are the famous hopes of most of people
but in fact. as muslims we should change our hopes to support islam and to be faithful with God
no problem to be famous in this or that field
but never forget your religion and honestly are you ready to offer something considerable to your religion
the difference between us as muslims and others that our islam must stay the main point in our daily life unlike the others who see their religion as a suplimentay thing