Question: WITR

Eman Yousuf

:salam:, I pray witr with three rakaat, should I sit and make tashahud in the second rakah,(like maghrib prayer) and get up and complete the third with another tashahud and salam or should I get up without saying anything and make one tashahud and one salaam.

My confusion is in tashahud. In 3 rakaat how many tashahud and salaam?:confused:

My question is :if I pray continously how many tashahud and if I say salaam in second rakah and pray one rakaat(total 3 rakaat) how many tashahud should be there.

wa salaam

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
:salam:, I pray witr with three rakaat, should I sit and make tashahud in the second rakah,(like maghrib prayer) and get up and complete the third with another tashahud and salam or should I get up without saying anything and make one tashahud and one salaam.

My confusion is in tashahud. In 3 rakaat how many tashahud and salaam?:confused:

My question is :if I pray continously how many tashahud and if I say salaam in second rakah and pray one rakaat(total 3 rakaat) how many tashahud should be there.

wa salaam

Salaam

My understanding is this about Witr prayer. Please somebody correct me if I am wrong.

If you are praying three rakah then you pray the two rakah and at the end you finish it with tashahud and salaam (basically you are completing it). Then on the third rakah (witr) after ruku you pray the Qunoot then you do the sajada, then complete the prayer with tashahud and salaam.

So to answer your question you need two occasions of tashahud and salaam, after the second and third rakah's.

I hope the aboe is clear In Shaa Allah.

It was narrated that Ibn Umar said:
"The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: 'Prayer at night is two by two, and witr is one rak'ah.'"

Reference
: Sunan an-Nasa'i 1693
In-book reference
: Book 20, Hadith 96
English translation
: Vol. 2, Book 20, Hadith 1694

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

wa salaam
Wasalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh,

Either way is right. You can do it both ways:

a) Pray two rakah, sit in tashahhud in your second rakah, say salam. Say the opening takbeer, pray another rakah, sit in tashahhud, and perform tasleem i.e say salam again.

b) Pray three rakah in total with one opening takbeer, sit in tashahhud in second rakah but you get up for the third rakah without tasleem, then perform the third rakah, tashahhud and final tasleem.

So, two tashahhuds and two salams and two takbeers in the first method, and one takbeer and tasleem in the second method with two tashahhud. Hopefully I didn't confuse you furthur.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger

Either way is right. You can do it both ways:

a) Pray two rakah, sit in tashahhud in your second rakah, say salam. Say the opening takbeer, pray another rakah, sit in tashahhud, and perform tasleem i.e say salam again.

b) Pray three rakah in total with one opening takbeer, sit in tashahhud in second rakah but you get up for the third rakah without tasleem, then perform the third rakah, tashahhud and final tasleem.

So, two tashahhuds and two salams and two takbeers in the first method, and one takbeer and tasleem in the second method with two tashahhud. Hopefully I didn't confuse you furthur.

Salam alaikum,

Actually option B isn't correct. That's actually a restricted method of praying Witr (one that is very common throughout the world ironically).

The Prophet salallahu alayhi wassalam said: “Do not pray Witr with three rak’ahs that resemble Maghrib.” What he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) meant, as the scholars have explained, was that we should not sit to recite the first Tashahhud in a manner that resembles Maghrib.

So if you're going to pray 3 raka'at, you only make tashahhud in the last rak'ah. Making it in the second one resembles the Maghrib salah and that is restricted.

Option A is the most preferred method but we have been told to alternate our forms of Witr prayer because the Prophet salallahu alayhi wassalam prayed them differently every night.

Here's the daleel:

http://islam-qa.com/en/38230

Praying Witr Resembling Maghrib

Praise be to Allaah.

It was proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed Witr in different ways. He prayed one rak’ah, and three, and five, and seven, and nine. And he prayed three rak’ahs in two different ways, either continuously with one tashahhud, or saying salaam after two rak’ahs and praying one rak’ah and saying salaam after it. He did not pray it like Maghrib, with two tashahhuds and one salaam. Rather he forbade doing that, and said: “Do not pray Witr with three rak’ahs like Maghrib.” Narrated by al-Haakim, 1/403; al-Bayhaqi, 3/31; al-Daaraqutni, p. 172. Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said in Fath al-Baari (4/301): Its isnaad fulfils the conditions of the two Shaykhs (al-Bukhaari and Muslim).

Shaykh Muhammad al-Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen said:

It is permissible to pray Witr with three rak’ahs, or with five, or with seven, or with nine. If a person prays Witr with three, it may be done in one of two ways, both of which are prescribed in sharee’ah:

1 – Praying the three rak'ahs continually with one tashahhud.

2 – Saying salaam after two rak’ahs, then praying one rak’ah on its own.

Both of these are narrated in the Sunnah, so if a person does it one way sometimes and the other way sometimes, that is good.

It is permissible to say it with one salaam, but it should be with only one tashahhud and not two, because if he does it with two tashahhuds, it will be like Maghrib prayer, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade making it like Maghrib prayer.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 4/14-16

For more information please see question no. 26844 and 3452, where there is a lengthy and detailed discussion about qiyaam (night prayers) and Witr.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Salam alaikum,

Actually option B isn't correct. That's actually a restricted method of praying Witr (one that is very common throughout the world ironically).
No, my sister, there is actually a valid difference of opinion. We the laypeople can take which ever opinion we find from a trustworthy scholar. I told her about option B because it is common in Indo-pak. Has she been praying this way, then she's correct, and didn't want her to feel she was wrong all along or have her confused. Both are correct. The first is strengthened by the Hanbali scholars, the second by the madhab of Imaam Abu Haneefa. I as a layperson cannot say anything except do taqleed of the people of knowledge and say both are correct.

As you can see this fatwa says:
In the Islamic centre where I pray, they follow the Hanafi madhhab, and they pray witr with three rak’ahs, separated by a tashahhud in the second rak’ah, after which they do not say salaam, rather they stand up for the third rak’ah, and after reciting al-Faatihah and another soorah, they say takbeer but they do not bow, rather they recite du’aa’ al-tahajjud silently, then they say takbeer and bow. Is this valid? If not, what should we do?
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

What the imam and the worshippers did, praying Witr with three rak’ahs, two tashahhuds and one salaam, and reciting qunoot before bowing, are issues concerning which there is a well-known scholarly difference of opinion between the Hanafis and the majority of scholars.
Then he explains how to him this is a makrooh way of performing witr. The shaykh is a hanabli scholar.

But later he also says:
Secondly:
There is nothing wrong with praying behind them, even if they pray in the manner that you have described, because what they are doing is following a mujtahid imam, so there is no justification for refusing to pray behind them or causing division amongst them, especially since you are living in a kaafir land and whatever troubles arise among you will reflect badly on Islam.
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/66613

The shaykh holds an opinion to be more authentic than the other, but he also recognizes the difference of opinion as valid. Both are correct methods, depending on what scholars you take from.

There are many threads on multaqa, where the students of knowledge debate over this. I learned it there that witr can be prayed in more than one way and each is valid. The narration that you mentioned has been mentioned several times over there, from what I've read, the Hanafee's hanafee's interpret the difference differently. They think it doesn't mean the second tashahhud. You can read this (I'm not saying it's clear, I'm just saying what is found in the madhab) and this, or if you have time for searching and reading there is a world to discover :).

Jazaakillahu khayraa.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
:salam: ukht.
The account of the person(s) you're referring to seems to be suspended...

There seems to be a problem with the site. They are telling me my account is suspended. I cannot even access `arabic forum. I have no account there. Wallahu`Alam.