wives physical right on huband

Status
Not open for further replies.

muhammadin

Assalamo alaykum

Abu Hurayrah narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "If a husband calls his wife to his bed and she refuses and causes him to sleep in anger, the angels will curse her till the morning.”

n such few hadith narrates that a wife sud not refuse such demand from his husband. why its not same for husband? i did not get any of such strong hadith. do wives not have such rights on their husbands?

can anyone give hadith regarding that please
thanks.

massi

:salam2:

What should be done when a husband withholds his wife’s rights in bed?

Question:
I find many topics concerning moslem women and the punishment of ignoring or avoiding their husband in sexual matters.But I would like to know the rights of a woman when this problem is visa-versa, and it's the husband who is denying the wife of her right. And if the husband is ill, does he still not have the obligation towards his wife?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

When a husband deprives his wife of the right to intercourse, the scholars call this eelaa’. Eelaa’ means the vow of the husband who is able to have intercourse never to have intercourse with his wife, or not to have intercourse with her for more than four months. The evidence for that is the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“Those who take an oath not to have sexual relation with their wives must wait for four months, then if they return (change their idea in this period), verily, Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful[al-Baqarah 2:226]

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) used to say concerning eelaa’: “If the period of eelaa’ expires, then the husband has either to retain his wife in a handsome manner or to divorce her as Allaah has ordered” (al-Bukhaari, al-Talaaq, 4881)

Eelaa’ is forbidden in Islam because it is a vow not to do something that is obligatory. It is in effect a vow not to have intercourse with one's wife, either never again or for a period that exceeds four months; or else it means vowing that if one’s wife does not do a certain obligatory action or does a certain haraam action, he will not have intercourse with her. The fuqahaa’ also said that the one who does not have intercourse with his wife for more than four months without swearing an oath, in order to harm her and without having a valid excuse, also comes under the category of eelaa’.

The ruling on this matter is: that if he has intercourse with his wife during that period, then he has “returned”, because “returning” in this context means intercourse and in this manner the woman has attained what she is entitled to from him. If he refuses to have intercourse after the stated time limit has expired, then the judge should order him to divorce her if his wife requests that. If he refuses to have intercourse and he refuses to divorce her, then the judge should issue a divorce and annul the marriage.

And Allaah knows best.

For more information refer to Zaad al-Ma’aad by Ibn al-Qayyim, vol. 5/344

If it is the case that the husband is sick, please see Question No 1859, 5684

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Phoyage

I think if the husband/wife has a valid reason for refusing then there is no sin.
And Allah knows best

q8penpals

Salam

4 MONTHS?!?! My goodness, there is no way I would let my husband get away with not fullfilling his "duties" for ONE month let alone 4 months!?!? And the post almost made it seem like the couple was on their way to divorce if that happened anyway!

I don't think that really answered the question - basically, women are supposed to "give" to their husbands (as long as they are not ill or menstruating) whenever the husband asks; I thought the question was asking, what if the wife would like to "receive" and the husband keeps refusing - is there a sin on him? And I am not talking about waiting 4 months!!

Lana

louly_sweet

Sub Han Allah
Salam

4 MONTHS?!?! My goodness, there is no way I would let my husband get away with not fullfilling his "duties" for ONE month let alone 4 months!?!? And the post almost made it seem like the couple was on their way to divorce if that happened anyway!

I don't think that really answered the question - basically, women are supposed to "give" to their husbands (as long as they are not ill or menstruating) whenever the husband asks; I thought the question was asking, what if the wife would like to "receive" and the husband keeps refusing - is there a sin on him? And I am not talking about waiting 4 months!!

Lana

Salamo Alikom,
Dear sister , your question was crystal clear.
Unfortunately, another sister asked almost the same question & didn't get any answer, either:girl3:.
I wish someone can answer this question with some valid proof.
I personally think that it is unislamic in spirit on part of any husband to denay his wife her rights.:SMILY309:
Moreove, (& correct me please if I am wrong) usually in hadith & Qura'n, they address the males./ usage of a masculine pronoun.
However, scholar take that hadith, for example & make Keyas & the ruling would be for both men & women.
So what do the scholars say?
Thanks alot
Salamo Alikom wa Rahamat Allah wa Barakato

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

The right of the wife to sexual gratification is also emphasized by Islamic Law. The husband must fulfill her sexual needs and thereby safeguard her from temptation. He needs to hearken to her needs in and fulfill them according to what is reasonable and according to his abilities.

Islamic Law does not define a required level of sexual activity. This is again because people are different. Women’s needs differ and what is expected of the husband is to fulfill his wife’s needs. The obligation of the husband in this matter corresponds to the needs of the wife. This comes under the general maxim:

“And live with them on a footing of customary good dealings” [Sûrah al-Nisâ’: 19]

The same can be said for the right to maintenance, to clothing, and to housing. In all cases, the husband is required to fulfill the wife’s needs.

The right to sexual fulfillment, however, is a mutual right, owed by each of the spouses to the other. As Allah says:

“And the women have rights similar to what you have, according to custom.” [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 228]

Islam seeks through marriage to provide lawful fulfillment for the sexual needs of both men and women. Therefore, the man is expected to make himself attractive for his wife in his appearance, in the way that he dresses and in how he takes care of himself. It is not just the wife who is expected to do so for her husband.

There is some confusion among the general public about the “four month” limitation on abstinence. It does not mean, as some people misconstrue, that a man only has to engage in sexual relations with his wife once every four months. It is rather a legal limitation for the continuation of the marriage contract in the face of a man’s abusive misconduct.

There are men in the world who are vile in character, corrupt in their outlook. They take a sick pleasure in depriving their wives of sexual gratification. Some of these men find an outlet for their own sexual needs either in unlawful liaisons or in abusing the institution of polygamy.

Islamic Law supports the woman in such cases. If a man refuses to have sex with his wife for whatever reason, his conduct is allowed to proceed for four month before legal redress is forced upon him. If, within that time, he returns to normal conduct and fulfils his wife’s sexual needs according to what is customary, appropriate, and commensurate with her needs, then the marriage remains intact.

If he fails to change his conduct within that time, then the wife has the right to be legally divorced from him for his failing to uphold her rights. He will be legally compelled to divorce her.

Allah says:

“For those who take an oath for abstention from their wives, a waiting for four months is ordained; if then they return, Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful. But if their intention is firm for divorce, Allah hears and knows all things.” [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 227]

Some people misunderstand this verse to mean that a man is only required to have sexual relations with his wife once every four months. This is not the case at all. This verse is clearly talking about the extraordinary circumstance of an oath of abstention on the part of the husband, and it brings the extreme remedy of divorce at the conclusion of four months to safeguard the wife from such abusive behavior on the husband’s part.

And Allah knows best.

www.islamtoday.com

muhammadin

Im still there.

I m looking for a satisfactory hadith or quranic verse that says that it is mandatory for husband to fulfill his wife's physical needs. Just as we have this hadith for wife as i have mentioned in my question. And i wud also like to clear that physical needs not always mean sexual needs.

by d way, thanks for showing interest in this question n also thanks for giving ur views.

i m still looking forward answers.
thank you

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

Islam cares for establishing a lovely relation between a man and his wife. It calls upon both parties to exchange love, show respect, and care for each other. This applies to all aspects of their life: social, intellectual, intimate, etc.

Moreover, Islam pays great attention to the intimate aspect of the husband-wife relationship. Once, when the Prophet got to know that one of his Companions used to spend the whole night in prayer, he immediately gave the Prophetic guidance

“Your eyes has a right over you, your guests have a right over you and your wife has a right over you.” (Reported by Al-Bukhari).

In another occasion, the Prophet directed the man to how he should approach his wife, He said:

“None of you should fall upon his wife like an animal; but let there first be a messenger between you.” The Companions exclaimed, “What is that messenger?” The Prophet replied, “Kisses and (romantic) words!” (Reported by Al-Daylami)

If these are guidelines on the side of man, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), on the other hand, urged the woman to respond to her husband if he called her to make love. Abu Hurayrah narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said,

"If a husband calls his wife to his bed (i.e. to have sexual relation) and she refuses and causes him to sleep in anger, the angels will curse her till the morning.”

Given these general guidelines, one can conclude that, in response to the specific points indicated in the question, among the duties of a wife towards her husband are that she should satisfy his needs, withhold him from falling into the unlawful and exchange love and affection with him.

If the wife declines his desire to make love with her, he may be psychologically affected and experience physical ailments related to this (e.g. stimulation excitation, congestion and sexual suppression due to the lack of ejaculation).

In the same vein, the wife may go through similar problems and experience the same sufferings if her man declined to meet her sexual needs.

Therefore it is of the wisdom of the Shari`ah that it calls both parties to understand and respond to the natural need of each other. If both husband and wife respond to each other, they will maintain each other’s love, care and affection. Conversely, if they refuse, the relationship can deteriorate. This may also lead one of them to deviate from the right path and look for pleasure outside the marriage. This will eventually lead to the breakdown of the family and the disintegration of the society at large.

However, it is to be added that if the wife is physiologically or physically ill and unable to respond to her husband's call then he should be considerate of her condition and never harm her in any way.

In this context, the late Sheikh Ibn al-`Uthaymin, the well-known Saudi scholar, adds:

If the wife is psychologically ill and is not able to actively respond to her husband's call or if she has a physical illness, then in such cases it is not allowed for the husband to call her to bed. This is because the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said "There is to be no harm done or reciprocation of harm." He should either refrain or enjoy her company in such a way that does not harm her.

Islamonline

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Why do you worship Muhummad and his words, over Gods?
It seems that the Prophets message ,peace be upon him, is more important than Gods....this is paganism.
Allah plainly says in the Book, Worship me alone!
Can someone show me?

Brother are you serious??! I literally CANNOT believe what I'm reading. "WORSHIP" Muhummad Pbuh?! Whose worshipping him? Be careful with your terminology brother, it could land you in hot water one day. IF you believe he was the Final Prophet of Allah then you know that his EVERY ACTION was in accordance with Allah's approval. His EVERY WORD was in accordance with Allah's guidance. This is the man whom CREATION was created FOR, the most PERFECT human being ever to have existed. I'm sorry but are you in your right mind? Based on your statement you're saying that the Prophet PBUH preached something against Allah (na'audhubillah). You seem to be unaware of the fact that the Prophet's message IS Allah's Message and the message Allah commanded him to relay to mankind. The Hadith FURTHER ELABORATE on what was already revealed in the Quran as well as how muslims can better worship ONE Lord. Stating otherwise is accusing the Prophet PBUH of lying and I'm not sure if I have enough energy to get into just how big of a sin that would be. If there is anyone who DOES worship the Prophet (astaghfirullah) then that in itself is SHIRK and that is the only sin that is considered unforgivable in the eyes of Allah. However, you need to be EXTREMELY careful in what you say WITHOUT THE NECESSARY PROOF. Sorry bro we're not pagans but if you can't seem to tell the difference between Muslims and pagans you really should review the principles of your religion.

Surah 3 Verse 31-32:

Say (O Muhammad to mankind): "If you love Allah then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you of your sins. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.". Say (O Muhammad ) "Obey Allah and the Messenger." But if they turn away, then Allah does not like the disbelievers.

Bottlecap

Brother are you serious??! I literally CANNOT believe what I'm reading. "WORSHIP" Muhummad Pbuh?! Whose worshipping him? Be careful with your terminology brother, it could land you in hot water one day. IF you believe he was the Final Prophet of Allah then you know that his EVERY ACTION was in accordance with Allah's approval. His EVERY WORD was in accordance with Allah's guidance. This is the man whom CREATION was created FOR, the most PERFECT human being ever to have existed. I'm sorry but are you in your right mind? Based on your statement you're saying that the Prophet PBUH preached something against Allah (na'audhubillah). You seem to be unaware of the fact that the Prophet's message IS Allah's Message and the message Allah commanded him to relay to mankind. The Hadith FURTHER ELABORATE on what was already revealed in the Quran as well as how muslims can better worship ONE Lord. Stating otherwise is accusing the Prophet PBUH of lying and I'm not sure if I have enough energy to get into just how big of a sin that would be. If there is anyone who DOES worship the Prophet (astaghfirullah) then that in itself is SHIRK and that is the only sin that is considered unforgivable in the eyes of Allah. However, you need to be EXTREMELY careful in what you say WITHOUT THE NECESSARY PROOF. Sorry bro we're not pagans but if you can't seem to tell the difference between Muslims and pagans you really should review the principles of your religion.

Surah 3 Verse 31-32:

Say (O Muhammad to mankind): "If you love Allah then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you of your sins. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.". Say (O Muhammad ) "Obey Allah and the Messenger." But if they turn away, then Allah does not like the disbelievers.

That phrase that has me concerned is "Gods" As far as I know there is only 1 God, Allah, and that's it. Yes?

cmelbouzaidi

Source: http://www.answering-christianity.com/karim/women_rights_for_sex.htm

Women's Right for Sex with their Husbands

By
Karim
(He is a new convert to Islam, from the Netherlands)

In islam husband and wife both have the right for sexual satisfaction, a spouse's sexual advances should be welcomed.

Many christian missionaries hide this fact (women’s right for sex in islam), and they only misquote hadith about a husbands right for sex (to read my reponse to the hadith they misquote , see: http://www.answering-christianity.com/karim/no_marital_rape.htm ) . Let’s read about women’s right for sex.

women’s right for sex in Islam:

And women shall have rights similar to the rights against them, according to what is equitable; but men have a degree (of responsibility) over them. And Allah is Exalted in Power, Wise (2:228). (read tafsir of this verse at: http://www.answering-christianity.com/karim/men_and_women_daraja.htm )

One basic right of every husband and wife taking on a contract never to have sex other than with their own legitimate partner is that each spouse should therefore provide sexual fulfillment (imta') to the other, as part of the bargain.

A women’s right for sex with their husband is established from the Qur’an and authentic Sunnah (hadith) from the Prophet (peace be upon him).

In the Qur'an we read: {turn not away (from a woman) altogether, so as to leave her (as it were) hanging} (4:129) . Further the Prophet approved Salman's word to Abu al-Darda': “_and your wife has a right over you.” (Sahih Bukhari, Vol.7, No. 127)) This unanimously means cohabitation.

And al-Qurtubi said: “She has over him the same right of sexual cohabitation he has over her.” (Tafsir for 2:178).

“Permitted to you, on the night of the fasts, is the approach to your wives. They are garments for you and you are garments for them.” [Qur’an, 2.187]

Commentary note 195, page 75, The Meaning of the Holy Quran ‘Abdullah Yusuf Ali: ’Men and women are each other’s garments i.e. they are for mutual support, mutual comfort, and mutual protection, fitting into each other as a garment fits the body. A garment also is both for show and concealment.

Allah swt clearly points out that men and women are each other’s garment, so a husband who ignores this function (being a garment for his wife, ‘meaning satisfying her needs physical/emotional) commanded to him (and given to him) by Allah swt has clearly committed a sin:

"Then shall anyone who has done an atom's weight of good, see it! And anyone who has done an atom's weight of evil, shall see it. (The Noble Quran, 99:7-8)"

Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi, former President of the Islamic Society of North America, correctly states:

“It is also emphasized in Islam that a husband should not deny his wife’s physical needs. Both of them are related to each other, as Allah says in the Qur’an, “They are a garment for you and you are a garment for them…” (Al-Baqarah: 187) A husband who without any genuine reason neglects his wife’s needs is as sinful as a wife who neglects her husband’s needs without any excuse. The husband and wife both should care for each other in all matters, whether they are moral and spiritual or financial and physical. The relationship between the husband and wife should be based on what the Qur’an says, “love and compassion” (al-Rum: 21).” ( fatwa by Mufti Muzammil Siddiqi at Islamonline.com)

This is why the Shariah has made it obligatory for both spouses to fulfill the sexual needs of their spouse in marriage. This is understood, the scholars say, from the abovementioned Qur’anic verse (2:187)

Ibn Abidin (Allah have mercy on him) says,

“Among the rulings of marriage is that each spouse is allowed to derive sexual pleasure from the other.” [ Radd al-Muhtar, 3.4]

Also: "...on the contrary live with them on a footing of kindness and equity. If ye take a dislike to them it may be that ye dislike a thing, and God brings about through it a great deal of good. (The Noble Quran, 4:19)"

Brother Osama correctly stated:

‘How can a husband live on a "footing of kindness and equity" with his wife if he intentionally deprives her from sex? How is that fair and "equity"?’

Also remember that one of the main reasons for marriage is to give a halal (legal) outlet for our natural sexual urges. If a man repeatedly refuses to fulfill the sexual needs of his wife, this would tempt the wife to seek satisfaction outside the marriage.

Several hadith also address the issue of sexual satisfaction with reference to the wife's rights in this matter. The Prophet advised Abdullah bin Amr bin Al-As (who spent all day fasting and all night in prayer) to fast sometimes and not at other times; to pray at night and to sleep at night. "Your body has a right over you, your eyes have a right over you and your wife has a right over you." (Sahih Bukhari, Vol.7, No. 127) The wife's rights include a right to companionship from her husband and fulfillment of her sexual needs

Islam pays great attention to the intimate aspect of the husband-wife relationship. Sexual fulfillment can never be detached or separated from an attitude of mutual respect, love, and emotional attachment.

Finally i would like to quote a fatwa concering this issue (mutual support, satisfacion) of the great mufti ‘Sheikh Ahmad Kutty’:

“According to the Qur’an, the purpose of marriage is to attain sukun (tranquility and peace; see for instance verses 30:21; 7:189), which can never be achieved through impulsive sexual fulfillment unless it is accompanied by mutual love, affection, caring, and sharing, which are all part and parcel of a fulfilling and productive marriage relationship. Islam, as we know it holistically from the sources, is a balanced way of looking at things. Sexual fulfillment can never be detached or separated from an attitude of mutual respect, love, and emotional attachment, otherwise it can hardly be distinguished from the behavior of brutes. Mind you, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) warned couples against hopping into beds like birds without proper foreplay and preparation, which includes showing affection and tender care.

Now coming to mutual obligations of spouses, it is lucidly and beautifully expressed in the following verses: (And cohabit with them on terms of utmost decency and fairness) (An-Nisa’ 4: 19); (And they (women) have rights similar to those of men in fairness) (Al-Baqarah 2: 228). In light of these, it is only reasonable to assume that a husband must set an example of fairness and compassion in dealing with his wife. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) was especially known for his compassionate treatment of his family. He was extremely caring and gentle with them; he enjoyed their company, and he said that it was one of the best things that he cherished in this world. He also told the faithful that the best thing for a believer to reckon in this world was the companionship of a righteous wife. In keeping with the spirit of such teachings, it is wrong for anyone to reduce woman to the position of an object for sexual gratifications.

In Islam, man and woman in general, as well as husband and wife in particular, are equal partners; just as a husband has needs to which a wife is expected to be responsive, a wife also has needs to which a husband should be responsive. To be successful, marriage must be based on mutual reciprocity and consensual relationship. We know that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) was in the habit of drinking from the same cup with his wife, thus placing his lips in the same spot where she placed hers. He would take a bite of food and then she would take another bite. It is this Prophetic attitude of mutual respect, affection, and companionship that should serve as a role model for all the married couples in Islam”. (Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.islam.ca)

And Remember!

Verily in the messenger of Allah ye have a good example for him who looketh unto Allah and the last Day, and remembereth Allah much ( Qurán 33:21).

Zayna85908

My opinion

In this case I dont know but my opinion is that I dont think women would want to ask for intercourse if her husband asks regularly/often. This is because woman cover themselves for one of the reasons being that men have more arousement is intercourse than women and cannot control it. Also because women have periods and pregnancy and don't feel like it that often as a man would.

Do you see my point?
:wasalam:

cmelbouzaidi

Yes sister, I do understand. However, it is good to know that women do have rights in these matters just as husbands do and Islam is more liberating of these rights than previous religions, contrary to popular Western belief. Islam, a religion for all people and all times, Alhamdulillah. :)

Inquirer

That phrase that has me concerned is "Gods". As far as I know there is only 1 God, Allah, and that's it. Yes?

Did you know, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

I think it's more than obvious that Zayd11 meant God's, i.e., 'of God'.

If you idolise the hadith compilers, then you ought to know that, 'a true believer speaks only good words, otherwise, remains silent.'.

Status
Not open for further replies.