Woman's status in Islam

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!
Woman's status in Islam

Women have a very important place in the Islamic society. Islam holds them in very high esteem. Their roles as mothers and wives have been clearly underlined by the Prophet (pbuh).

To know the dignified position of women in Islam a peep into the history of women will he helpful. Many societies have practised female infanticides. It was practised by the Romans until the fifth century AD. The Greeks considered woman as a commodity that could be bought and sold. In France, towards the end of sixth century AD, a meeting was held to decide whether woman could be truly be considered as a human being or not. Henry VIII in England forbade the reading of the Bible by women and throughout the Middle Ages the Catholic church treated women as second class citizens. In the universities of Cambridge and Oxford, male and female students were not given the same right until 1964! Before 1850, women were not counted as citizens in England and the English women had no personal rights until 1882! The pre­Islamic Arabs buried the infant girls alive and her birth was considered as a shameful thing. If we keep this picture in mind and evaluate the position of women in Islam could we find any justifications to the baseless allegations of the West against Islam that it prevents the freedom of women! But a sincere and unprejudiced study will definitely convince us that Islam never forbids the freedom for women but it has liberated them from the dark age of obscurity and inequality.

The Holy Qur'an regards men and women as equal in personal and basic values but they have different functions that are complimentary. For example let us examine some of the aspects.

1. Spiritual status: It is very clear that the five pillars of Islam, Belief, Prayer, Fasting, Poor due and the Pilgrimage are as important for women as for men, and there is no differentiation of reward.

2. Having established beyond question the spiritual status and equality of men and women let us see what about their intelligence, knowledge and education. The Prophet has indubitably declared that "Seeking of knowledge is compulsory for both Muslim males and females.

3. Rights and obligations: Islam considers the role of family as the unit of society. The Muslim marriage is a contract in which both wife and husband have rights and duties. Allah's Messenger (pbuh) even in his last public address at the Mount Arafat declared: O people, your wives have certain rights over you and you have certain rights over them. Treat them well and be kind of them, for they are your partners and committed helpers." He has also said: "The best among you are the one who are the best towards their wives.

It is the responsibility of the husband to support the family completely while the wife is responsible for the care of her home and welfare of the family. In the case of marriage, Islam urges that the guardian should take her permission and in case she is not able to adjust with her husband she has the right to divorce him. Another right of Muslim women worth mentioning is her right to inherit property. This is a part of Islamic law.

Apart from her role as a wife, the Muslim woman has a very important role as mother. The status and value attached to the parents in the Muslim world is very high. The Prophet (pbuh) has taught: "Paradise lies at the feet of mothers'. It is reported that once a man came to the Prophet and asked: O Messenger of Allah, who is the most deserving of the good care from me? The Prophet replied: Your mother. He asked: Then to whom and then to whom? The Prophet (pbuh) repeated the same answer. The fourth time the Prophet replied then to your father.

In short we can see that Islam is a religion of common sense and is in perfect harmony with the human nature. It recognises the realities of life on earth. This does not mean that Islam has recognised the equality of men and women in every respect, rather it has defined their duties considering their biological structure and natural make up. Allah has not made man and woman identical so it would be against the nature to try to have a total equality between men and women. It would destroy the social balance. Society would not prosper but would instead have so many problems such as broken marriages, illegitimate children and the break­up of family life and consequently the ever increasing varieties of diseases. These problems are seriously active in the modern Western society. School girls pregnancies, increased abortions, increasing number of divorces and many other sociological and family problems have cropped up there because of their permissive outlook and the so called freedom of women.

Whereas in Islam as we observed, the Muslim woman is accorded with full spiritual and intellectual equality with man, and it encourages to practise her religion and develop intellectual faculties throughout her life. Her relation with her husband should be based on mutual love and compassion. She is responsible for the care of the home and the children's early training. She may own her own property, run her own business and inherit in her own right. She may not be married without being consulted and is able to obtain divorce under essential circumstances. Is it to forbid her freedom or to recognise her identity. Now think, whether Islam has forbidden the freedom for women or emancipated them from the bondage of slavery. - AV

amjaddamen

brother

It recognises the realities of life on earth. This does not mean that Islam has recognised the equality of men and women in every respect, rather it has defined their duties considering their biological structure and natural make up.

:salam2::ma:
Very beautiful and beneficial post specially when it comes out from a female.
I always stress on looking at muslims as family , which is the natural thing, and not like non muslims who see society as female versus male .
In family , female is wife , mother , daughter ,sister .
And male is husband , brother , son , father.
so every one in muslim family plays many roles and every role reguires deffirent duties and obligations .
all the best

Raihan

Women's Status and Rights in the Quran

04.01: O Mankind! Be careful of your duty to your Lord Who created you from a single soul and from it created its mate. (Men and Women are equal)

30.21: He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquility with them, and He has put love and mercy between your hearts. (Men and Women are equal)

3.195: Their Lord responded to them: "I never fail to reward any worker among you for any work you do, be you male or female - you are equal to one another." (Men and Women are equal)

09.71: And the believers, men and women, are protecting friends one of another. (Men and Women are equal)

2.187: They are your garments and ye are their garments. (Men and Women are equal)

17.70: Verily we have honored the Children of Adam. (Men and Women are equal)

16.72: God has made for you mates and companions of your own nature. (Men and Women are equal)

49.13: The noblest among you in the sight of God is the most righteous. (Men and Women are equal)

4.124: If any do deeds of righteousness - be they male or female - and have faith, they will enter Heaven, and not the least injustice will be done to them. (Men and Women are equal)

16.97: Whoever works righteousness, man or woman, and has Faith, verily, to him will We give a new Life, a life that is good and pure and We will bestow on such their reward according to the best of their actions. (Men and Women are equal)

40.40: Whoever commits a sin is requited for just that, and whoever works righteousness - male or female - while believing, these will enter Paradise wherein they receive provisions without any limits. (Men and Women are equal)

33.35: Surely the men who submit and the women who submit, and the believing men and the believing women, and the obeying men and the obeying women, and the truthful men and the truthful women, and the patient men and the patient women and the humble men and the humble women, and the almsgiving men and the almsgiving women, and the fasting men and the fasting women, and the men who guard their private parts and the women who guard, and the men who remember God much and the women who remember-- God has prepared for them forgiveness and a mighty reward. (Men and Women are equal)

49.13: O Mankind! We created you from a single pair of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other not that ye may despise each other. (Men and Women are equal)

04.32: To men is allotted what they earn, and to women what they earn. (Men and Women are equal)

2.228: Women have rights over men similar to those of men over women. (Men and Women are equal)

04.07: From what is left by parents and those nearest related there is a share for men and a share for women, whether the property be small or large - a determinate share. (Men and Women are equal)

04.19: Ye are forbidden to inherit women against their will. Nor should ye treat them with harshness. Live with them on a footing of kindness and tranquility. (Women cannot be inherited against their will and they should be treated nicely)

24.04: And those who launch a charge against honorable women, and produce not four witnesses to support their allegations - flog them (liars) with eighty stripes; and reject their evidence ever after: for such men are wicked transgressors. (Women's honor and dignity have been protected from false allegations against them)

Prophet Muhammad's Last Sermon: "O People, it is true that you have certain rights with regard to your women, but they also have right over you." (Men and Women are equal)

saffanah

speak good or silent
Just want to add:
Hijab also rise the woman status in Islam.
islam protect us like a diamond which is well hidden.

Jazakillah...great post!

saif

There is no doubt, that Islam (Quran and Sunnah) have given rights to the women, which were unprecedented in the history of mankind. However, we muslims must also remain self-critical and admit, that we have not been giving them all the rights they deserved. Although the discrimination of women has no base in the primary resources of deen (Quran and Sunnah), it is most certainly there in the secondary (man-made) resources like Fiqh and Tradition. So when we are praising Quran and Sunnah for protecting women's right, we must also admit our own errors in discriminating the women. Here are a few examples:

1. In classical Fiqh, the witness of a woman is counted to be half of a man. Quran does mention it in the context of documentary evidence and asks us to choose men as witnesses or two women for one man, when we are in need of a documentary evidence. Our classical fuqaha have applied the same principle on the circumstancial evidence, where nobody normally has a choice. It is absurd to ask a raped woman to produce 4 muslim male witnesses. I respectually disagree with our classical fuqaha and consider this ruling not to be in true spirite of Quran and Sunnah and to be discriminatory towards women.

2. Rape is considered to be an equal crime as zina in our classical fiqh. I respectfully disagree and ask for higher punishment for rape than for zina. The Sunnah should be carefully examined and I do know, that some people were given the punishment of muharbah in addition to that of adultry.

3. Travel restrictions posed on women have been made "mustqil bizzaat" (having eternal validity), although they have been introduced as a precautionary measure (sadd zariah) in Sunnah. Following our present ruling, the time will never come as has been predicted by the Prophet SAW, that a woman shall travel alone from sana' to damascus without fear of getting looted. The distances set by the classical Fiqh, which were based on one-day travel of a camel (85 something km) need to be revised in the present time. In Germany, for example, the Kamel-Fatwa by brother Amir Zaidan has already provided enough material to ridicule Islam.

4. Driving restrictions on Saudi women. I agree, that it does not have roots even in classical Fiqh but in tradition. But then we must eradicate this discriminatory tradition.

5. I have no statistics but I have the feeling, that voilence against women in Pakistan (for example) is higher than the western world. I agree, that it does not have roots in religion but I hardly see religious people worried about this problem and the whole field is left to NGOs. We must admit, that we religious people are at least not doing enough. Same is that case with honour killings, the victims of which are mostly women. Again I agree it is a social problem but are we religious people doing enough to educate our future generations?

The list can certainly go on but I rather stop here with the following remarks: Quran and Sunnah have protected women and given them their due rights but we muslims have not.

saif

There is one more thing I would like to add to the list, even it is still not complete:

6. I consider female genital mutilation extremely discriminatory. I know, that our salafi brothers and sisters consider it a Sunnah. I respectfully disagree and remind our brothers and sisters that Sunnah is not based on Akhbaar ul Ahaad. We have got it from the continuum (tawatur) of Ummah, just like we have got Quran from the continuum. Since we see that it has never been a continuous practice among muslims, I would never call it Sunnah. Even calling it mustahab is too much to me.

wardah noor

Muslimah 4 life
salam, this is a very tread i like it thank you for sharing with us.
may Allah reward u inchallah.
jazakallah khair.:blackhijab: