Women's Salat: Totally Confused

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
:salam2:

Dear sister you are not bothering us but you have to understand that it takes pages and pages to be able to explain the Prayer (Salah), there's books written about it in details.
I also provided you the link to the book "The Prophets Payer Described" by Shaykh Muhammad Naasiru- Deen al Albani (rahimahullah) in detail, also clarifying many of the Hadeeths, and also with the "Sayings Of The Imaams Regarding Following The Sunnah And Ignoring Their Views Contradictory To It" which is very clear masha'Allah.
Here's the link once more:

http://www.qss.org/articles/salah/toc.html

I couldn't put the whole book in my post as it doesn't fit in it all.
And I think as I suggested to you if you read it you will insha'Allah be convinced, if you still aren't convinced with all the authentic proofs brought forth by the scholar (rahimahullah) then if you find more authentic proof provide it to us too, and we will be thankful for it.

Ma'asalaam.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum,

there is absolutely no difference between the prayer of men and the prayer of women. Or the doing of Wudhu.

Those who state otherwise are incorrect and you should stop learning from such people.

The Hadith is clear, we follow what the Prophet :saw: instructed.

I also recommend people read the following book to understand how to pray:

http://www.qss.org/articles/salah/toc.html

Wasalam.

madinatunnabi

Confusion or simply diversity

Salaam Sister,

I'm not sure what you are asking about the salat.

It's clear that this is a matter for which there is variation - not just in terms of what you might see at the masjid, but in terms of the fiqh and the rulings of the scholars.

There is variation between the schools of law - note, for instance, that in Maliki fiqh it is fine to pray without folding the arms or hands (to pray salat with your hands at your sides). Shia also pray this way. In both Maliki and Jafari schools folding of the arms is considered optional, not obligatory for prayer.

There is variety in the rulings from scholar to scholar (regardless of their madhab).

All of the determinations of whether the arms should be folded and if so where the hands should be placed as based on hadith and insha'Allah, made by equally learned and sincere scholars.

The arguments seem to boil down to

1) Prophet Muhammad (saws) did not pray with his hands folded high on his chest and as we should strive to follow him both men and women should pray in the same way.

2) Prophet Muhammad (saws) when his prayer was cited was praying in the company of men, so his gestures and their adherence to them do not necessarily follow for women.

3)Women's movements should be more modest and restrained than men's

4)Men and women are equal as believers and as long as neither gender is exposing themselves should be able to pray in the same way, following the way in which Prophet Muhammad (saws) prayed.

5)Disagreement over exactly where Prophet Muhammad (saws)'s hands were during prayer or the belief that there was variation in the way that he prayed

In any case, if your objective is to find the "correct" place to put your hands, I don't think you will have any success, since after hundreds of years there is no consensus among the scholars.

God will know the objective truth of where the hands should be placed and whether it matters, but people's determinations are subjective and in this matter at variance with one another.

I think the best you'll be able to do is find out why each school or scholar has come up with the interpretation they have and take it from there.

If you believe that you must adhere to a single madhab and follow all of its precepts you will not have a choice anyway, and will have to follow what the scholars of your madhab have dictated.

But then, insha'Allah, you'll keep in mind that where you are putting your hands is not necessarily correct - as others at your masjid may follow other rulings - that it's simply what the scholars you follow consider valid or preferable. :blackhijab: