Working as a Spy

Keen4Deen

:salam2:
I was wondering if it is permissible to be an intelligence officer/spy for the government. I live in Canada and would like to work for CSIS which is kind of like the CIA/MI6. The only evidence that I found that it might be impermissible is surah Al-Hujraat (chapter 49), Verse 12: "O you who believe! Avoid much suspicion; indeed some suspicions are sins. And spy not, neither backbite one another. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? You would hate it (so hate backbiting) . And fear Allah. Verily, Allah is the One Who forgives and accepts repentance, Most Merciful."

In this day in age muslims are a big target and i am afraid if I do work for them that I might have to spy on muslims or be expected to "infiltrate" and report on what is going on. Is this haraam, but what if its for the greater good. Does this mean that police surveillance and using cameras to catch criminals is also haraam?

strive-may-i

I was wondering if it is permissible to be an intelligence officer/spy for the government. I live in Canada and would like to work for CSIS which is kind of like the CIA/MI6. The only evidence that I found that it might be impermissible is surah Al-Hujraat (chapter 49), Verse 12: "O you who believe! Avoid much suspicion; indeed some suspicions are sins. And spy not, neither backbite one another. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? You would hate it (so hate backbiting) . And fear Allah. Verily, Allah is the One Who forgives and accepts repentance, Most Merciful."

In this day in age muslims are a big target and i am afraid if I do work for them that I might have to spy on muslims or be expected to "infiltrate" and report on what is going on. Is this haraam, but what if its for the greater good. Does this mean that police surveillance and using cameras to catch criminals is also haraam?

Walaikum ssalaam,

What skills and reasons, made you prefer this as your occupation?

There could be other better roles that suite you in the Law and Order, Military. Sometime back there was a thread related to prison officer, I think.

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
Waliekumasslam warahmatullahi wabrakatu,
As brother strive-may-i said it isn't perhaps the kind of occupation one should prefer but since you are looking for ruling, I'll suggest you to contact a good reliable scholar and ask him this. If you already know one, you can contact him or else you can ask Sheikh assim al hakeem:
http://www.assimalhakeem.net/contact

Keen4Deen

The reason i would like to work in this profession is because, it not only pays well, but it can open up alot of opportunities for me in terms of getting een higher up positions much more quickly. Once I get security clearance, it means I am in a better position to move into other sectors of the government. it also seems like an exiting job, I am just afraid that because I am a muslim they might tell me to infiltrate a masjid or something to talk to local muslims to get info and I don't want to do that, but this is ust my speculation as I don't know if any infiltration actually goes on, or if its just bureacratic and administrative work that they would want me to do.

Ahsen

You will have to infiltrate anyway. I know somewhat how CID works because theres lots of them in my country. Secondly "terrorism" is a big issue in all western govts. So later or sooner you will be the right man for them to infiltrate a muslim group. So either you do what they say or you will be comsidered with the "enemy". Anyways I dont think its such a good idea to be an agent for a govt which you mentioned.
Lets say that you work as a spy. How can they use you skills at their best. I am not giving any ruling or something. I am discussiing this with you and also would like to know what Islam says about this.

strive-may-i

The reason i would like to work in this profession is because, it not only pays well, but it can open up alot of opportunities for me in terms of getting een higher up positions much more quickly. Once I get security clearance, it means I am in a better position to move into other sectors of the government. it also seems like an exiting job, I am just afraid that because I am a muslim they might tell me to infiltrate a masjid or something to talk to local muslims to get info and I don't want to do that, but this is ust my speculation as I don't know if any infiltration actually goes on, or if its just bureacratic and administrative work that they would want me to do.

Assalaamu Alaikum,

Every role (job) comes with its own glamour(charm), just ask the satisfied practitioner (worker). Its bliss when there is a congruence of personal values, skill, passion and the demand of workplace. When a job is seen from the glitter and glory (or lack of it) alone, without knowing/thinking what gives you satisfaction would be a wrong way to approach. So dont speculate. Think freshly ... .

Spying or Espionage has grown and outgrown and spread outside the military, political circles and well, its ugly. Ever heard of corporate espionage? At broader level espionage is not information gathering ( thats legal means), but mostly by illegal means. Because the information being sought is presumed to be of high value to the other side, its valued more, so the other side does its best to protect it, the spy is supposed to steal it. Get caught, you are shot or fired etc. Its not as exciting as it might seem. Solitary. and maybe there is more dull and boring words that goes with it. Its not the most sought after , nor is it an easy to get in this role (spy). Dont go by the movie potrayal of this job. The effort spent would be better utilized in a other positive ways. Take the cold war espionage for example.

And, infiltrate a mosque, What? Where is the need? The ground reality is much better, but yeah, the politicians say a lot and so does the propaganda. Get the facts right. In this forums sometime back there were posts based on facts and data, dig it up.

Jazakallaahu Khair

SonOfAdam

Staff member
You should work for them and if they wrong Muslims or others expose them for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Be smart. Muslims need to be aware of such organizations too so it is good that you join from this aspect.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Brother I would NOT do this job. Why dont you do TSA at an airport? Or maybe the Coast Guard and do border patrol?
Those are similar jobs that seem better. And I am 100% infiltration goes on in the Islamic Community from the government. Not that we have anything to hide, but in America this stuff is exposed all the time and its just insulting...

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Brother I would NOT do this job. Why dont you do TSA at an airport? Or maybe the Coast Guard and do border patrol?
Those are similar jobs that seem better. And I am 100% infiltration goes on in the Islamic Community from the government. Not that we have anything to hide, but in America this stuff is exposed all the time and its just insulting...

These are good alternatives, however I wouldn't recommend anyone working as TSA - they have to work near the body scanners all day which means exposure to a lot of radiation. There have been increased cancer cases in the TSA due to this reason.