Zakir Naik's response to Shias on Yazid RAH

Status
Not open for further replies.

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
MUMBAI: Nearly a year after he stirred up a tempest with his statement that Allah's blessings be upon Yazid, the killer of Prophet Mohammed's
grandson Imam Hussein, Dr Zakir Naik is back in the eye of another storm. A section of Sunni and Shia Muslims is up in arms against the Islamic preacher for saying that help should be sought from Allah alone, not even from the Prophet himself.

The 37-year-old suited, bearded Dr Naik who also owns the religious channel Peace TV, is a familiar figure known for his preachings. He founded the Islamic Research Foundation and travels all over the world giving speeches, especially in the Middle East. On Friday, the former medical professional told a news channel that Allah alone should be approached for help. Immediately, a group of Sunni Muslims rushed to home minister R R Patil demanding a ban on his Islamic conference to be held in the city between November 14 and 24.
Dr Naik said he was being targeted for a statement which most Muslims believe in and share. "I stand by what I said," he told TOI. "And I didn't commit any sacrilege. The majority of Muslims across the world believe that Allah is the almighty and help should be sought only from him. Parts of my earlier speeches are being taken out of context and presented with malicious intent."

Last month, a group of Shias in UP put pressure on the administration to stop the series of lectures Dr Zakir Naik was supposed to deliver in Allahabad and Lucknow because of the Yazid controversy.

On Friday, a Lucknow-based mufti issued a fatwa against him for allegedly supporting Osama bin Laden.

"I never supported Osama. I have always been saying that all those who kill innocents are terrorists. So if the USA kills innocents, it doesn't have the right to call Osama a terrorist unless it owns up its own crime. Here again my statement has been twisted," he said.

When asked if he felt threatened, Dr Naik replied, "Only cowards get scared. They have no guts to face the truth and level baseless, false charges. My programme in Mumbai is on and even R R Patil has accepted my invitation."

Source -->http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Mumbai/Zakir_Naiks_statement_raises_storm/articleshow/3687790.cms

[yt]R1qgyHCb0Jw[/yt]

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum warahmatullaahi wabarakaatuh.

In Ibn Jawzee's Talbees Iblees (The Devil's Deception), I believe it mentions that Yazeed didn't order for Husayn's killing, may Allaah be pleased with him. It also states that he was disgusted upon seeing the site of his head, disgusted with the fact that he'd been killed, or at least disgusted with the manner in which he was killed. Of course, we know that the people who have gone to extremes with respects to Ahl ul-Bayt, curse and slander not only Yazeed, but Mu`aawiyyah, may Allaah be pleased with him, and a number of companions.

However, it is worth mentioning that I came across some statements of the scholars (Ibn Taymiyyah being one of them I believe), in which it is said that ahl us-Sunnah do not curse nor praise Yazeed Ibn Mu`aawiyyah, hence the approach we take is a balanced one...

If anyone has anything supporting this, please mention it.

Jazaak Allaahu khayr.

Was-salaam

daywalker

However, it is worth mentioning that I came across some statements of the scholars (Ibn Taymiyyah being one of them I believe), in which it is said that ahl us-Sunnah do not curse nor praise Yazeed Ibn Mu`aawiyyah, hence the approach we take is a balanced one...

what i know that is:

Ibn Salaah (R.A) says: “It is not authentic according to us that (Yazeed) commanded that Husain (R.A) be martyred.” (Al Khulaasa fi bayaani rayi Sheikil Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah fir Rafidha 1/151 Al Maktabah as shamillah)

Some regard him responsible for the martyrdom of Hazrat Husain (R.A). Based on these narrations, some Ulama regarded it permissible to curse him and even passed the verdict of kufr on him.

There are however, other narrations that describe him as a pious and learned leader. He is also praised for his night prayers. He was very disheartened at the martyrdom of Husain (R.A) and he also cursed the killer. Based on these narrations, there are Ulama who hold him in great esteem.

A third group of Ulama prefer silence and hand over his matter to Allah. This is the view of the vast majority of Ulama

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
what i know that is:

Ibn Salaah (R.A) says: “It is not authentic according to us that (Yazeed) commanded that Husain (R.A) be martyred.” (Al Khulaasa fi bayaani rayi Sheikil Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah fir Rafidha 1/151 Al Maktabah as shamillah)

Some regard him responsible for the martyrdom of Hazrat Husain (R.A). Based on these narrations, some Ulama regarded it permissible to curse him and even passed the verdict of kufr on him.

There are however, other narrations that describe him as a pious and learned leader. He is also praised for his night prayers. He was very disheartened at the martyrdom of Husain (R.A) and he also cursed the killer. Based on these narrations, there are Ulama who hold him in great esteem.

A third group of Ulama prefer silence and hand over his matter to Allah. This is the view of the vast majority of Ulama

Jazaak Allaahu khayr!

Was-salaam

AleahKoto

Allah will decide
Call on Muhammed??

"section of Sunni and Shia Muslims is up in arms against the Islamic preacher for saying that help should be sought from Allah alone, not even from the Prophet himself."

Where does it say to call on Muhammed (pbuh)for anything? Why would they be upset at this? Am I missing somethig here?

ShyHijabi

"section of Sunni and Shia Muslims is up in arms against the Islamic preacher for saying that help should be sought from Allah alone, not even from the Prophet himself."

Where does it say to call on Muhammed (pbuh)for anything? Why would they be upset at this? Am I missing somethig here?

Salaam,

Would you believe I've actually argued with Shia and Sunni both over this very issue? Basically they always state their parents taught them that one can beseech Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) to speak to Allah swt on thier behalf. :astag:I know, it's insane, but they really believe this and "a convert doesn't know what she's talking about."

Wasalaam

~Sarah

muslimah-2k8

In view of this statement, what is the Islamic verdict on Imam Hussain's (radiyAllahu-Anhu) rebellion against the corrupt leadership of Yazeed? Was this permissible according to the Shariah? Also, what view should Muslims hold of Yazeed. I notice Shia often curse him. Is this allowed?

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

The answer to your question will be given in two parts. The first deals with Sayyiduna Husains (Allah be pleased with him) uprising against the leadership of Yazid, and the second deals with the opinion of Ahl al-Sunnah wa al-Jama'ah regarding Yazid.

As far as the first question is concerned, it is an accepted fact among the Ahl al-Sunnah wa al-Jama�ah that to challenge authority is generally not permissible.

Imam al-Tahawi (Allah have mercy on him) states in his famous al-Aqida al-Tahawiyya:

We do not recognize uprising against our Imam or those in charge of our affairs even if they are unjust, nor do we wish evil on them, nor do we withdraw from following them. We hold that obedience to them is part of obedience to Allah, The Glorified, and is therefore obligatory as long as they do not order us to commit sins. We pray for their guidance and their wrongdoings to be pardoned. (al-Aqida al-Tahawiyya with the Sharh of al-Ghunaymi, P. 110-111).

The commentators of al-Aqida al-Tahawiyya have mentioned many evidences for this. Allama al-Ghunaymi al-Maydani and other commentators on this work elaborated on this topic by mentioning the relevant evidences.

Allah Most High says:

1) O you who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger, and those charged with authority among you (al-Nisa, 59).

2) Sayyiduna Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: Whoever obeys me, obeys Allah, and whoever disobeys me, disobeys Allah. And whoever obeys my ruler (amir), obeys me, and whoever disobeys my ruler, disobeys me (Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 6718 & Sahih Muslim, no. 1835).

3) Sayyiduna Anas ibn Malik (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: Listen to and obey your ruler, even if he is an Abyssinian slave whose head looks like a raisin (Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 6723 & Sahih Muslim).

4) Sayyiduna Ibn Abbas (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: Whoever sees his ruler doing something he disapproves of, he should be patient, for no one separates from the (Muslim) group even for a span and then dies, except that he will die a death of (pre-Islamic) ignorance. (Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 6724 & Sahih Muslim, no. 1849).

5) Sayyiduna Abd Allah (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: A Muslim must listen to and obey (the order of his ruler) in things that he likes or dislikes, as long as he is not ordered to commit a sin. If he is ordered to disobey Allah, then there is no listening and no obedience. (Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 6725 & Sahih Muslim, no. 1839).

The above evidences are clear in establishing the fact that one must obey the ruler even if he is corrupt or a sinner (fasiq). The reason for this, in the words of Allama al-Ghunaymi, is that, there have been many corrupt rulers in Islamic history and never did the predecessors (salaf) rebel against them, rather they used to submit to their rule and establish Jumu�ah and Eid prayers with their permission. Also, piety is not a pre-requisite for leadership. (Sharh al-Ghunaymi, p. 110).

Other scholars emphasize that uprising against corrupt leadership results in more tribulation and destruction then the initial oppression of the ruler. With forbearance and tolerance, one's sins will be forgiven. And in reality, the corrupt ruler is imposed by Allah due to our own wrongdoings, thus it becomes necessary that we repent and seek Allah's forgiveness coupled with good actions, as Allah Most High says: Whatever misfortune happens to you, is because of the things your hands have wrought(42:30).. And He says: Thus do we make the wrongdoers turn to each other, because of what they earn (6:129). Therefore, if a nation wants to free themselves from the oppression of their leader, they must refrain themselves from oppressing others.

However, if the ruler commands to do something that is a sin, then there is no obedience, as mentioned earlier in light of the many evidences found in the Sunnah.

Also, uprising and challenging a corrupt ruler becomes permissible when he openly transgresses in a way that his action is not open to any interpretation, provided one has the means to do so.

As far as the actions of Sayyiduna Imam Husain (Allah be pleased with him) and his uprising against Yazid is concerned, firstly, it should be understood that according to the majority of scholars, the status of a heir to the throne (wali al-ahd) is only one of recommendation that requires approval from the nations prominent and influential figures after the demise of the Khalifa.

Qadhi Abu Yala al-Farra al-Hanbali states in his Ahkam al-Sultaniyya:

It is permissible for a Khalifah to appoint a successor without the approval of those in power, as Abu Bakr appointed Umar (Allah be pleased with them both) as his successor without the backing and presence of the prominent figures of the community. The logical reason behind this is that appointing someone a successor to the throne is not appointing his a Khalifa, or else, there will be two Khalifas, thus there is no need for the influential people to be present. Yes, after the demise of the Khalifah, there presence and approval is necessary.

He further states:

Khilafah (leadership) is not established merely with the appointment of the Khalifa, rather (after his demise) it requires the approval of the Muslim Ummah(al-Ahkam al-Sultaniyya, p. 9).

In view of the above, the majority of the Umma's scholars are of the view that if a Khalifah or ruler appoints his successor without the approval of those in power, then this is permissible, but it will only serve as an suggestion. After his demise, the nation's influential and powerful people have a right to accept his leadership or reject it.

Keeping this in mind, the leadership of Yazid was also subject to the same criterion other leaderships are. His leadership could not be established after the demise of Sayyiduna Mu'awiya (Allah be pleased with him) until it was approved by the major personalities of the nation.

Sayyiduna Husain (Allah be pleased with him) from the outset did not approve of Yazid being designated a leader. This was his personal opinion that was based on purely religious grounds and there was nothing wrong in holding this view.

After the demise of Sayyiduna Mu'awiya (Allah be pleased with him), Sayyiduna Husain (Allah be pleased with him) saw that the major personalities of Hijaz including Sayyiduna Abd Allah ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with him) had not yet approved of Yazid's leadership. Furthermore, he received heaps of letters from Iraq which made it clear that the people of Iraq had also not accepted Yazid as their leader. The letters clearly stated that they had not given their allegiance to anyone. (See: Tarikh al-Tabari, 4/262 & al-Bidaya wa al-Nihaya, 8/151).

In such circumstances, Sayyiduna Husain's (Allah be pleased with him) stand with regards to Yazid's leadership was that the pledge of allegiance by the people of Sham can not be forced upon the rest of the Muslims. Therefore, his leadership was as yet not established.

In Sayyiduna Husain's view, Yazid was a tyrant ruler who desired to overcome the Muslims, but was not yet able to do so. In such a circumstance, he considered his religious duty to prevent a tyrant ruler prevailing over the Muslim Ummah.

For this reason, Sayyiduna Husain (Allah be pleased with him) sent Muslim ibn Aqeel (Allah be pleased with him) to Kufa in order to investigate the truth about Yazid's rule. His journey was not of an uprising nature, rather to discover the truth.

Had Sayyiduna Husain (Allah be pleased with him) thought that Yazid had imposed his rule and established his power all over the Muslim lands, the case would have been different. He would certainly have accepted his leadership without choice and would not have opposed it. But he thought that this was a tyrant ruler that had no authority as of yet, and can be stopped before he establishes his authority.

This is the reason why when he came close to Kufa and discovered that the inhabitants of Kufa have betrayed him and succumbed to Yazid's rule, he suggested three things, of which one was Or I give my hand in the hand of Yazid as a pledge of allegiance. (See: Tarikh al-Tabari, 4/313).

This clearly shows that when Sayyiduna Husain (Allah be pleased with him) discovered that Yazid had established his authority, he agreed to accept him as a leader. However, Ubaid Allah ibn Ziyad was not ready to listen to Sayyiduna Husain and ordered him to come to him unconditionally. Sayyiduna Husain (Allah be pleased with him) was in no way obliged to obey his command and he also feared his life, thus had no option but to fight him. This was the beginning of the unfortunate incident of Karbala. (See, for details, Imam Tabari's Tarikh al-Umam wa al-Muluk & Imam Ibn Kathir's al-Bidaya wa al-Nihaya).

In conclusion, it is impermissible to rebel against authority even if the ruler is oppressive or a sinner. The opposition of Sayyiduna Husain (Allah be pleased with him) was due to the fact that Yazid's rule had not yet been established and he intended to prevent his rule before it being established.

The position of Yazid

With regards to your second question that, is it permissible to curse Yazid?

Firstly, it must be remarked here that this is not an issue on which one's Iman depends, nor will one be asked on the day of Judgement as to what opinion one held about Yazid. This is a trivial matter, thus many scholars have advised to abstain from indulging and discussing the issue and concentrate on the more immediate and important aspects of Deen.

Secondly, it should be understood that there is a general and accepted principle among the scholars that it is impermissible to curse a Muslim no matter how great of a sinner he is.

Imam Nawawi (Allah have mercy on him) states:

Cursing an upright Muslim is unlawful (haram) by unanimous consensus of all Muslims. The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: Cursing a believer is like killing him (Sahih al-Bukhari).

As far as the sinners are concerned, it is permissible (but not rewarded) to curse them in a general manner, such as saying Allah curse the corrupt or Allah curse the oppressors and so forth. It has been narrated in many narrations that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) cursed sinners in a general manner. However, to curse a particular person who commits some act of disobedience, such as oppression, murder, adultery, etc, there is a difference of opinion. The Majority of Scholars Including Imam al-Ghazali hold the view that this is impermissible.

Yes, it will be permissible to curse a person regarding whom it has been decisively established that he died on disbelief (kufr), such as Abu Lahab, Abu Jahl, Pharaoh, Haman and their likes. (See: al-Adhkar by Imam Nawawi & Reliance of the traveller, P. 772-773).

In view of the above, if it is established that Yazid died as a non-Believer or he regarded the killing of Sayyiduna Husain (Allah be pleased with him) permissible and died without repentance, then it would be permissible to curse him. However, it this is not established, then it would not be permissible.

Indeed some scholars did curse him (Sa`d al-Din al-Taftazani, for example, See: Sharh al-Aqaid al-Nasafiyya, P. 2845), but the majority of the Ulama have cautioned against cursing him. Firstly, because it has not been decisively established that Yazid himself killed or ordered the unfortunate killing of Sayyiduna Husain (Allah have mercy on him). There are some reports that he expressed his remorse on the actions of his associates, and even if he did, then murder and other sins do not necessitate Kufr.

Imam al-Ghazali (Allah have mercy on him) states that it is even impermissible to say that Yazid killed or ordered the killing of Sayyiduna Husain (Allah be pleased with him) let alone curse him, as attributing a Muslim to a sin without decisive evidence is not permissible. (See: Sharh Bad al-Amali by Mulla Ali al-Qari, P. 123-125).

He further states:

If it is established that a Muslim killed a fellow Muslim, then the understanding of the people of truth is that he does not become a Kafir. Killing is not disbelief, rather a grave sin. It could also be that a killer may have repented before death. If a disbeliever dies after repentance, then it is impermissible to curse him, then how could it be permissible to curse a Muslim who may have repented from his sin. And we are unaware whether the killer of Sayyiduna Husain (Allah be pleased with him) died before or after repentance. (ibid).

All of the above, whilst keeping in mind that (when cursing becomes permissible), it is not something that is obligatory (fard), necessary (wajib) or recommended (mandub). It only falls into the category of permissibility (mubah).

Therefore, it would best be to abstain from cursing Yazid, as there is no reward in cursing him, rather one should abstain from discussing about him altogether and concentrate on more practical aspects of Deen. May Allah Almighty give us the true understanding of Deen, Ameen.

And Allah knows best

Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari, UK

Muhammad ibn Jarir al-Tabari records under the year 49 Hijri (or 669-670 CE) during the reign of Muawiyah I, a number of forces, including one under Yazid attacked Constantinople. This First Arab siege of Constantinople was a naval assault lasting through the years 670-677. Abu Ayyub al-Ansari was also among the notables accompanying Yazid.

"They relate that 'Umair bin Al-Aswad Al-Anasi told him that he went to 'Ubada bin As-Samit while he was staying in his house at the sea-shore of Him with (his wife) Um Haram. 'Umair said. Um Haram informed us that she heard Muhammad saying, "Paradise is granted to the first batch of my followers who will undertake a naval expedition." Um Haram added, I said, 'O Allah's Apostle! Will I be amongst them?' He replied, 'You are amongst them.' Muhammad then said, the first army amongst my followers who will invade Caesar's City will be forgiven their sins. I asked, 'Will I be one of them, O Allah's Apostle?' He replied in the negative."

Ibn Taymiyyah was neither in favor of cursing Yazid nor declaring him to be a disbeliever.

“And the people who curse Yazid and other such people like him then it is upon them to bring evidence, Firstly: that he (Yazid) was an open sinner and an oppressor and therefore prove he really was an open sinner and an oppressor as allowing him to be cursed needs to be proven that he continued this open sinning and oppression to the end up until his death. Secondly: Then after this they must prove that it is permissible to curse specific people like Yazid. ………… and the verse, “May the Curse of Allah be upon the oppressors”, is a general verse like the verses concerning punishment…………..And the Hadith compiled by Bukhari states the first army to wage Jihad against Constantinople is forgiven and it is clear that their commander Yazid ibn Muawiyah was a member of this army and is included in this forgiveness………..”

Question

Respected scholars of Islam, As-Salamu `Alaykum wa Rahamtu Allah wa Baraktuh. I heard some Muslims speak ill of Yazid ibn Mu`ayyiah to the extent that some of them regarded him as a non-Muslim. Please, clarify the truth in this regard.

Answer

Wa`alykum As-Salamu Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Brother in Islam, we do really commend your pursuit of knowledge and reference to juristic views rather than giving in to rumors and groundless sayings. May Allah save us all against judging without knowledge!

Answering the in-hand question, Sheikh M. S. Al-Munajjid, a prominent Saudi Muslim lecturer and author, states:

“Yazid’s full name is: Yazid ibn Mu`awiyyah ibn Abi Sufyan ibn Harb ibn Umayyah Al-Umawi Al-Dimashqi.

Al-Dhahabi said: “He was the commander of that army during the campaign against Constantinople, among which were people such as Abu Ayyub Al-Ansari. Yazid was appointed by his father as his heir, so he took power after his father’s death in Rajab 60 AH at the age of thirty-three, but his reign lasted for less than four years.

Yazid is one of those whom we neither curse nor love. There are others like him among the caliphs of the two states (Umayyad and Abbasid) and the governors of various regions; even there were some among them who were worse than him.

But the issue of Yazid is that he came to power forty-nine years after the death of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him. It was still close to the time of the Prophet and some of the Sahabah (Prophet’s Companions) were still alive, such as Ibn `Umar who was more entitled to the post of caliphate than him.

His reign began with the killing of Al-Husayn and it ended with the battle of Al-Harrah. So, people hated him and he was not blessed with a long life. There were many revolts against him after Al-Husayn, such as the people of Al-Madinah who revolted for the sake of Allah, and Ibn Al-Zubayr.” (Siyar A`lam Al-Nubala’, part 4, p. 38)

Shaykh Al-Islam, ibn Taymiyyah, described people’s attitudes towards Yazid ibn Mu`awiyyah, saying: “People differed concerning Yazid ibn Mu`awiyyah, splitting into three groups, two extreme and one moderate.

One of the two extreme views said that he was a Kafir (non-Muslim) and a Munafiq (hypocrite), that he strove to kill the grandson of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, to spite the Messenger of Allah and to take revenge on him, and to avenge his grandfather `Utbah, his grandfather’s brother Shaybah and his maternal uncle Al-Walid ibn `Utbah and others who were killed by the Sahabah and by ‘Ali ibn Abi Talib on the day of Badr and other battles. To hold such a view is easy for the Rafidis (one of deviating groups) who regard Abu Bakr, `Umar and `Uthman as Kafirs, so it is much easier for them to regard Yazid as a Kafir.

The other extreme group think that he was a righteous man and a just leader, that he was one of the Sahabah who were born during the time of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, and were blessed by him. Some of them accord him a status higher than that of Abu Bakr and `Umar; and some of them regard him as a Prophet.

The above two views are obviously false to one who has the least common sense and who has any knowledge of the lives and times of the early Muslims. This view is not attributable to any of the scholars who are known for following the Sunnah or to any reasonable person who has mind and experience.

However, the third view – which is the moderate one - is that he was one of the kings of the Muslims, who did good deeds and bad deeds. He was not born until the caliphate of `Uthman. He was not a Kafir, but it was because of him that the killing of Al-Husayn took place, and he did what he did to the people of Al-Harrah. He was not a Sahabi, nor was he one of the righteous devotees of Allah. This is the view of most of the people of reason and knowledge and of Ahl Al-Sunnah wal-Jama`ah.

Then the above group divided into three groups, one which cursed him, one which loved him, and one which neither cursed nor loved him. The last stance is what was reported from Imam Ahmad, and this is the view of the fair-minded among his companions and others among the Muslims.

Salih ibn Ahmad said: “I said to my father, some people say that they love Yazid.” He said: “O my son, is there any believer who believes in Allah and in the Day of Judgment and love Yazid?” I said: “O my father, why do you not curse him?” He said: “O my son, when did you ever see your father curse anybody?”

Abu Muhammad Al-Maqdisi said: “When he was asked about Yazid: ‘According to what I have heard he is neither to be cursed nor to be loved.’ He also said: ‘I heard that Abu `Abd-Allah ibn Taymiyyah was asked about Yazid and he said: We do not deny his good qualities nor exaggerate about them.’” This is the fairest opinion.” (Majmu` Fatawa Shaykh Al-Islam, part 4, pp. 481-484)”

www.islam-qa.com

Allah Almighty knows best

Waseem203

Young Muslim
Salam, I wouldn't know the total validity of this, but my friend was on a trip to Sudan and in the middle of Ramadan hewent to pray in the Masjid. He told me they said "This Ramadan we will pray to Sayidna Muhammed". Now I was shocked because I diden't really think this type of stuff happend.

muslimah-2k8

Can the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) hear those who call upon him when he is in his grave?
Some people believe that the Prophet Muhamamd [(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)] is "Shaheed" and is in BArzakh where he can hear us if we send 'darood' on him and also if we ask his 'wasta' [by virtue of his closeness to Allah]in praying to God.

Praise be to Allaah.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is alive in his grave in the sense of the life of al-barzakh, so he enjoys the blessings that Allaah has prepared for him as a reward for his great good actions that he did in this world. But the life in the grave is not like the life of this world, or the life in the Hereafter. Rather it is the life of al-barzakh which comes in between his life in this world and his life in the Hereafter. Hence we know that he died as other Prophets and other people before him died. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And We granted not to any human being immortality before you (O Muhammad); then if you die, would they live forever?”

[al-Anbiya’ 21:34]

“Whatsoever is on it (the earth) will perish.

And the Face of your Lord full of Majesty and Honour will remain forever”

[al-Rahmaan 55:26,27]

“Verily, you (O Muhammad) will die, and verily, they (too) will die”

[al-Zumar 39:30]

And there are other verses which also indicate that Allaah caused him to die. Moreover, the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) washed him, shrouded him, offered the funeral prayer for him and buried him; if he had been alive in the worldly sense, they would not have done the same as is done for others who die.

Faatimah (may Allaah be pleased with her) asked Abu Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with him) for her inheritance from her father (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) because she was convinced that he had died, and no one among the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) differed with her concerning that. Rather Abu Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with him) responded to her request by saying that nothing could be inherited from the Prophets.

The Sahaabah agreed unanimously to choose a khaleefah for the Muslims to succeed the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and that was done with the appointment of Abu Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with him) as khaleefah. If the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had been alive in a worldly sense, they would not have done that. So this indicates that there was consensus among them that he had indeed died.

When the tribulations (fitan) and problems increased during the time of ‘Uthmaan and ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with them both), and before and after that, they did not go to his grave to consult him or ask him for a way out of those tribulations and problems, or the way to solve them. If he had been alive in a worldly sense, they would not have overlooked that when they were in such great need of someone to save them from the trials that surrounded them.

With regard to the soul of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), it is in the highest part of ‘Illiyyeen, because he is the best of creation, and because Allaah has given him al-waseelah which is the highest position in Paradise.

The life of al-barzakh is a special life. The Prophets and the shuhada’ (martyrs) are alive in al-barzakh as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Prophets are alive and they pray in their graves.” (Narrated by al-Mundhiri and al-Bayhaqi who classed it as saheeh because of corroborating reports in al-Saheehayn.)

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And say not of those who are killed in the way of Allaah, ‘They are dead.’ Nay, they are living, but you perceive (it) not”

[al-Baqarah 2:154]

This is a special life, the nature of which is known to Allaah. It is not like the life of this world in which the soul remains with the body.

The basic principle concerning the dead is that they do not hear the words of the living sons of Adam, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“but you cannot make hear those who are in graves”

[Faatir 35:22]

Allaah confirmed that those whom he (the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)) was calling to Islam could not hear, by likening them to the dead. There is nothing in the Qur’aan or in the saheeh Sunnah to indicate that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) can hear every du’aa’ or call from human beings. Rather it is proven that the only thing that reaches him (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is the blessings and salaams of those who send blessings and salaams upon him. This was narrated by Abu Dawood, 2041, with a hasan isnaad from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no one who sends salaams upon me but Allaah will restore to me my soul so that I may return his salaams.” This does not mean that he hears the words of the one who sends salaams. Rather it is possible that he comes to know of those salaams when the angels convey that to him. If we assume that he hears the words of the one who sends salaams, this is an exception from the general rule, as in the case of the dead hearing the footsteps of those who carry his bier, and as in the case of the slain kuffaar in the well at Badr who heard the call of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) when he said to them: “Have you found your Lord’s promise to be true? For we have found our Lord’s promise to be true.” (See Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 1/313, 318, 321).

With regard to calling upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and asking him directly, this is the essence of shirk which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was sent to forbid and to fight against its people. For more details on the ruling on that, see Question no. 10289, 11402, 1439. We ask Allaah to bring the Muslims back to the right path. And Allaah knows best. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon his Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
Jazaak Allaahu khayr!

Was-salaam

:salam2: Akhi,

Zakir Naiks mentions in his urdu talk that there is hadith in Saheeh Al Bukhari that whoever is part of constantinopole is promised Jannah and Yazid was the leader of that...

But, Shias and some "Sunnis" are objecting to his statement

"Help should be sought ONLY FROM ALLAH, Not even from Prophet Muhammad :saw:"

Yeh Musalmaan hai jinhe dekh kar sharmay Yahood...:astag:

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member

:wasalam:

They are upset because if People start asking to Allah directly who will go to them and pay them???

The shops that they have put-up selling Fake-Islam will close down.
Grave worshipping is unfortunately a big business in Indian subcontinent.

These people don't even know the most basic aspect of Islam, which is Tawheed.

May Allah guides all to understand Tawheed.

abuayesha

Yes! What else we need? Clearly explained.

And I would suggest why we can't say "Rahimahullahi Alaihi / Alaihaa / Alaihum" as this is a Du'a, when we talk about dead Muslims.

Once we start to practice this it will stop of talking bad about the dead. It is the right way that living Muslims should pray for the dead. We are debating on the issues that are written in the history, in the meantime, we are actually not ready to say Rahimahullahi Alaihi when we are talking about our father who is dead. We are not ready to say Rahimahullaahi Alaihaa when we are talking about our mother who is dead. And so on...

It is not our responsibility to issue judgement on those who is dead. It is the responsibility and the power of Allaah, the Almighty. Even the Peophet sallallaahu alaihi wasallam was not given that status.

With regards to asking forgiveness from the Prophet sallallaahu alaihi wasallam is not a bid'a it is SHIRK. If someone, who is claiming that he is an ulama, is telling that it is indeed correct, he is promoting SHIRK. There is no doubt in it. To identify this as SHIRK there is no need of studying at so called JAAMIYAAS.

Islaam is very clear. It is in AL-QUR'AN and in authenticated AHADITH.

If there is a Hadith with saheeh sanad contradicting to the Book of Allaah then we should give priority to Al-Qur'an.

It is obvious that the people who deviated from pure Islaam are up in arms against the TRUTH. Whoever tells the truth definitely will have to meet the wrath of deviated sects.

Do not expect to enter paradise without sacrifice. The deviated sects which are planted by the enemies of Islaam have their own agendas. They are working. They will seek help even from Jewish states to curb not only the PEACE TV but also the true lectures.

But be aware that Allaah declared that He will protect Islaam until the Day of Resurrection.

Adhere to Al-Qur'an and Al-Hadith.

Mohsin

abdu'Allah

They are upset because if People start asking to Allah directly who will go to them and pay them???

The shops that they have put-up selling Fake-Islam will close down.
Grave worshipping is unfortunately a big business in Indian subcontinent.

These people don't even know the most basic aspect of Islam, which is Tawheed.

May Allah guides all to understand Tawheed.
:wasalam: Brother

You are spot on. They fear there shops. I am attaching a pdf which was sent to me by a friend which shows what they are upto and it will also make clear why calling Allah alone threatens them. They are highly influenced by the local religious practicesand follow them to the utmost.

Attachments

• diffrence.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 200

nori suja'i

No, Khalifah Yazid Ibn Mu'awiyah did'nt killed Saideena Hussein Ibn Ali but his admiral Ubaidillah Ibn Zaiyyad did by mistake in Karbala.

Before Khalifah Mu'awiyah died he already reminded his son Yazid to be careful of 4 persons since he himself aware that he became khalifah after he won the war with the suppoters of Saideena Ali Ibn Abi Talib (Saideena Ali & his supporters were tricked thru' seeing the pieces of AlQur'an on the edge of swords hanging by Mu'awiyah's armies while in the same time they shouting the words "peace! peace!", actually Mu'awiyah's army almost lost the war).
The 4 ppl that Mu'awiyah warned his son besides Saideena Hussain they were Abdullah Ibn Umar, Abdul Rahman Ibn Abi Bakr and Abdullah Ibn Zubair.

(From The History Of Islam Ummah by Dr. H. Abdul Malik Karim Amrullah 1961).

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

`Abdul-Musaa`ir, according to Al-Haafidh Ibn Katheer, the 12 khulafaa' are not the first 12 khulafaa' including Banee Umayyah, see Al-Bidaayah wan-Nihaayah, or the partial English translation (for my fellow English readers), "The Book of the End". There is a whole chapter/section dedicated to this point. Of course, 5 of the 12 include Abu Bakr, `Umar, `Uthmaan, `Alee and Al-Hasan, who handed reign over after 6 months to Mu`aawiyah, may Allaah be pleased with them all.

Was-salaam

mezeren

Salaam,

Would you believe I've actually argued with Shia and Sunni both over this very issue? Basically they always state their parents taught them that one can beseech Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) to speak to Allah swt on thier behalf. :astag:I know, it's insane, but they really believe this and "a convert doesn't know what she's talking about."

Wasalaam

~Sarah

:salam2:

Respected Sister Sarah,

i do not know if you have ever said in your prayers "shafaat Yaa Rasulullah" but i do.When i say that,i don't mean "O Muhammed(s.a.v),save me from hell fire" or anything like that.All i am saying is "my beloved Prophet(s.a.v),i know that you are the best of all creatures and Allah loves you the most,you are Habibullah,please ask Allah the Almighty to forgive me."

i ask you to study following verses from the holly Quran and ahadeeth from the Bukhari.And if you let me know what you think afterwards i would be glad.

Allah! There is no god but He,-the Living, the Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber can seize Him nor sleep. His are all things in the heavens and on earth. Who is there can intercede in His presence except as He permitteth? He knoweth what (appeareth to His creatures as) before or after or behind them. Nor shall they compass aught of His knowledge except as He willeth. His Throne doth extend over the heavens and the earth, and He feeleth no fatigue in guarding and preserving them for He is the Most High, the Supreme (in glory)

007.053 Do they just wait for the final fulfilment of the event? On the day the event is finally fulfilled, those who disregarded it before will say: "The messengers of our Lord did indeed bring true (tidings). Have we no intercessors now to intercede on our behalf? Or could we be sent back? then should we behave differently from our behaviour in the past." In fact they will have lost their souls, and the things they invented will leave them in the lurch

He knows what is before them, and what is behind them, and they offer no intercession except for those who are acceptable, and they stand in awe and reverence of His (Glory).

Volume 2, Book 24, Number 553:
Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar

The Prophet said, "A man keeps on asking others for something till he comes on the Day of Resurrection without any piece of flesh on his face." The Prophet added, "On the Day of Resurrection, the Sun will come near (to, the people) to such an extent that the sweat will reach up to the middle of the ears, so, when all the people are in that state, they will ask Adam for help, and then Moses, and then Muhammad (p.b.u.h) ." The sub-narrator added "Muhammad will intercede with Allah to judge amongst the people. He will proceed on till he will hold the ring of the door (of Paradise) and then Allah will exalt him to Maqam Mahmud (the privilege of intercession, etc.). And all the people of the gathering will send their praises to Allah.

Volume 6, Book 60, Number 3:
Narrated Anas:
The Prophet said, "On the Day of Resurrection the Believers will assemble and say, 'Let us ask somebody to intercede for us with our Lord.' So they will go to Adam and say, 'You are the father of all the people, and Allah created you with His Own Hands, and ordered the angels to prostrate to you, and taught you the names of all things; so please intercede for us with your Lord, so that He may relieve us from this place of ours.' Adam will say, 'I am not fit for this (i.e. intercession for you).' Then Adam will remember his sin and feel ashamed thereof. He will say, 'Go to Noah, for he was the first Apostle, Allah sent to the inhabitants of the earth.' They will go to him and Noah will say,

'I am not fit for this undertaking.' He will remember his appeal to his Lord to do what he had no knowledge of, then he will feel ashamed thereof and will say, 'Go to the Khalil--r-Rahman (i.e. Abraham).' They will go to him and he will say, 'I am not fit for this undertaking. Go to Moses, the slave to whom Allah spoke (directly) and gave him the Torah .' So they will go to him and he will say, 'I am not fit for this undertaking.' and he will mention (his) killing a person who was not a killer, and so he will feel ashamed thereof before his Lord, and he will say, 'Go to Jesus, Allah's Slave, His Apostle and Allah's Word and a Spirit coming from Him. Jesus will say, 'I am not fit for this undertaking, go to Muhammad the Slave of Allah whose past and future sins were forgiven by Allah.' So they will come to me and I will proceed till I will ask my Lord's Permission and I will be given permission. When I see my Lord, I will fall down in Prostration and He will let me remain in that state as long as He wishes and then I will be addressed.' (Muhammad!) Raise your head. Ask, and your request will be granted; say, and your saying will be listened to; intercede, and your intercession will be accepted.' I will raise my head and praise Allah with a saying (i.e. invocation) He will teach me, and then I will intercede. He will fix a limit for me (to intercede for) whom I will admit into Paradise. Then I will come back again to Allah, and when I see my Lord, the same thing will happen to me. And then I will intercede and Allah will fix a limit for me to intercede whom I will let into Paradise, then I will come back for the third time; and then I will come back for the fourth time, and will say, 'None remains in Hell but those whom the Quran has imprisoned (in Hell) and who have been destined to an eternal stay in Hell.' " (The compiler) Abu 'Abdullah said: 'But those whom the Qur'an has imprisoned in Hell,' refers to the Statement of Allah:

"They will dwell therein forever." (16.29)

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

The above ahadeeth and ayaat regarding intercession as you have mentioned, are in reference to the intercession on the Day of Judgement. However, they are not proofs for calling/adressing the Prophet, sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam, to ask Allaah to forgive us. That is not from the permitted forms of tawassul, in fact, we would be better off praying to Allaah to be included in the Prophet's, sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam, intercession.

If you look at the various ahaadeeth of the Prophet sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam, the message is clear; we cannot make tawassul through others if they cannot help us (doing so would be pointless) and/or if they are not present. This is why you find in the narrations related to tawassul which occured after the passing of the Messenger of Allaah, sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam, the companions never, ever asked through the status or directly through the Prophet, sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam. This is why when they supplicated for rain, they asked `Abbaas, may Allaah be pleased with him. The companions knew very well that asking Rasoolullaah, sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam wouldn't be of benefit to them.

The salaf, the early Muslims agreed with this in their speech and actions. Imaam Abu Haneefah for example said, "I hate to ask from Allaah, except by Allaah". They were agreed on the fact that asking from Allaah, through the status of another individual who is absent/dead, is a bid`ah. And to call upon/address the individual directly, using them as intermediaries with Allaah, constitutes to shirk.

Regarding the dead possessing the ability to hear/respond, see http://abdurrahman.org/qurantafseer/ibnkathir/ibnkathir_web/30.40512.html

Was-salaam

mezeren

As-salaamu `alaykum.

The above ahadeeth and ayaat regarding intercession as you have mentioned, are in reference to the intercession on the Day of Judgement. However, they are not proofs for calling/adressing the Prophet, sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam, to ask Allaah to forgive us. That is not from the permitted forms of tawassul, in fact, we would be better off praying to Allaah to be included in the Prophet's, sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam, intercession.

Dear Brother,when i say "shafaat ya Rasulallah" my intention is just like what you have written above,i mean the intercession on the Day of Judgement.
But,what a coincidence,tavafuq, that while just reading your post the imam of our local mosque dropped in and i mentioned the issue,he said while your intention could be right your words should reflect your intentions.you better say "oo Allah include us in the Prophet's, sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam, intercession."
so,i will change my words then,thanks.

mezeren

Dear Mezeren,

Bismillaahir rahmaanir rahiim

Rasulullah said "After Adzan, read 'Allahumma rabba haadzihit taammatun, wa shalaatil qaa'imah aati Muhammadanil washiilata wal fadhiilah, wa abtsum maqaama Mahmuudanilladzii wa adtah' whoever say it, will accept my Syafa'at (intercession).'

Do you understand the meaning, ask your imam of the Mosque.

Asslmkm wrhmtllh

brother,
read my previous post,i understand my mistake and change my words.

mezeren

The adab of do'a is inside the du'a refered by our Rasul:

"Allahumma the master of this perfect call, and the master of the Shalat that going to be done, give to Muhammad wasilah (the highest Jannah) and fadhilah (the glory) and give him the position of Maqam Mahmud (state of intercessor) and a respectable position." After Adzan

i know the dua after adzan and i said what i said.i don't need to prove you anything.take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.