Zina Of The Heart = Love?

lightofnur

OK, here's the thing. I have read before :

Abu Hurayah reported that Allah's Messenger said:

"A son of Adam's share of zina has been predestined for him, and he will inevitably fulfill that. Thus the eyes commit zina by looking, the ears commit zina by listening, the tongue commits zina by speaking, the mouth commits zina by kissing, the hands commits zina by acting (or touching) the foot commits zina by walking (toward the sin) the soul (or heart) wishes and desires (the sin) and the private part confirms all of that or desires it"

(Reported by al-Bukhari and Muslim).

The thing that scared me is that people have been saying that there is such thing as zina of the heart - based on the hadith above. And they say it does not merely mean fantasizing about someone in a sexual manner - or desiring of a certain someone in a wrongful way only; but they claim that should we fall in love with someone/crush on someone at a young age (not necessarily when you are older and wish to marry that person), it is haram.
They base these claims on :

1)We fantasizing on them - but not in any sexual way of thinking - merely daydreaming about them as any person crushing on another would.
2)We miss them. (But even if we don't talk/mingle/be alone/gaze longingly at the person we crush on, they still claim it is wrong if we miss that certain someone we love).
3)Our love for Allah will be challenged.

It has left me quite confused and scared. I admit that as a normal girl, I DID have a crush on a certain someone (and I am still young, around my teens), but as soon as I read about people saying that it is wrong to do the above things - let alone crush on someone - I immediately tried to cease liking that person. With much difficulty, I have finally been able to let go. But as for other people, they find it harder, and have much more difficulties than I had. They have a complex and are struggling. They are scared to have a crush on someone, should it be haram.

Also, those who have made the claims above (certain renown and learned ustaz, ulama, etc.) have even claimed that the hadith above have been backed with even more proof from this verse :

[17.32] "Do not draw near to fornication, for it is an indecency, and its way is evil." (Surah Al-Isra'17: ayat: 32)

When other people say we are not committing zina, the answer they would give is the verse above, which means "do not draw near" itself.
Now, I respect those ulama, ustaz, etc. for they are learned people, and have out best interests in heart, but this has also left me confused and unsure. With my peers it is the same.

On the other hand, some other respected religious ulama, ustaz, etc. have said, that feelings are something that come naturally. We do not ask for it. They claim that if our feelings are in check and are not in excess, and are controlled in the right manner, all is well. They also say that we should not act on those feelings (dating, mingling, flirting, etc.). We should merely keep them in our hearts as a crush. If we are older, and want to marry, then we may do so with the ones we have feelings for. But as for now, in our teens, we should keep those feelings to ourselves and in check.

The real question is here, is that - is it possible to have a crush on someone at a young age? Without doing any wrongful acts as stated, merely having a crush. Is that haram? This has caused a bit of confusion among some Muslims - who in my school, are afraid to have a crush on someone in fear that it may be haram. Is there any proper answer to this question? Which opinion is right? I love Allah, and will accept whatever it is, but I only need an answer to this.

P.S: I've also heard that Fatimah (the Prophet's daughter) used to have a crush on Ali bin Abi Talib for a while before they grew up and married.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
The real question is here, is that - is it possible to have a crush on someone at a young age? Without doing any wrongful acts as stated, merely having a crush. Is that haram? This has caused a bit of confusion among some Muslims - who in my school, are afraid to have a crush on someone in fear that it may be haram. Is there any proper answer to this question? Which opinion is right? I love Allah, and will accept whatever it is, but I only need an answer to this.

P.S: I've also heard that Fatimah (the Prophet's daughter) used to have a crush on Ali bin Abi Talib for a while before they grew up and married.

:wasalam:,

1. yes...crush on someone at young age is possible as we get mature in early teens itself.

2. crush is not something in our control...thats why Allah told us to lower gaze and have segregation of boys and girls. all these crushes, heart-breaks are the result of mix schools, work places and society.

3. why do ur friends wants to develop crush on purpose. are they sure tht they'll be able to marry them which might take 10 yrs from your age?

4. those who say such things about fatima and ali (may Allah be plesased with them) should bring out proofs from authentic Islamic history.

lightofnur

:wasalam:,

1. yes...crush on someone at young age is possible as we get mature in early teens itself.

2. crush is not something in our control...thats why Allah told us to lower gaze and have segregation of boys and girls. all these crushes, heart-breaks are the result of mix schools, work places and society.

3. why do ur friends wants to develop crush on purpose. are they sure tht they'll be able to marry them which might take 10 yrs from your age?

4. those who say such things about fatima and ali (may Allah be plesased with them) should bring out proofs from authentic Islamic history.

So does that mean having a crush is OK? What I meant is, not that I find it on my own/on purpose, it just comes automatically, and I try to ignore it as much as possible. Does that mean every time I think of it, it means I'm doing "zina of the heart"? That is what worries me.

3. My friends don't want to have crushes either. They want to marry the person they love, insha'Allah, when they are older and ready to marry. Right now they don't want to think too much of love and marriage and all that serious stuff. Nor do they date, mix freely, etc. They contemplate on love and stuff, but they don't act on it. They too, have the same dilemma. They don't want to have crushes, it just comes, and when it does, they (including me) get nervous about it because of the whole "zina of the heart" issue. It's really scary, because as teenagers, the issue of crushes are very common.

4. I do remember seeing that fatimah and ali thing somewhere. I'll find it and try to post it here.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
As-salaamu'Alaykum,

Your original post it seems to ask a couple of questions based upon the same premise. (I was slightly confused so Insha'Allaah the portions below will help).

Fundamentally, where does this 'crush' (or should it be desire/lust) come from? Predominantly it will be from looking at the opposite sex (and reasons from brother 'Ahmed_Indian's' post) which is not permissible.

Allah (subhaanahu wa ta'aala) says:

"Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.). That is purer for them. Verily, Allah is All-Aware of what they do.

And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc).

(Qur'aan, 24: 30-31)

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Looking (at the opposite sex) is an arrow from the arrows of Iblees."

(Al-Mustadrak, 4/314, no. 7875). (Fatawa Islamiyah).

However the ruling on looking is changed if the person is courting for marriage, refer to the post (and the one's after) below:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?p=470831#post470831

There are two related issues here. Shaytaan's means to misguide people and people's faith. This is because a simple crush can lead to something forbidden. Therefore it is a succinct way of disguising it. Its tricky to answer because (i) where does this crush arise from? (ii) how will this influence the desire to marriage?. I say this because we know from the Qur'aan and Sunnah what characteristics to look for in a spouse. If a crush (how did that develop) becomes the basis for wanting to marry someone, what does that say?

I thought the portion below from 'IslamQA' related:

But thinking a lot about something could lead to a person doing it; at the very least it distracts a person from thinking about something useful that he could do. The scholars of Islam used to call for reform of one’s thinking and striving against bad thoughts, because they may gradually lead one to disastrous consequences. The “doctor of the hearts” Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

“Ward off passing thoughts, for if you do not, they will become ideas. Ward off ideas, for if you do not, they will become desires. Fight them, for if you do not, they will become resolve and determination, and if you do not ward them off, they will become actions. If you do not resist them with their opposite, they will become habits and it will be difficult for you to get rid of them.”

(Al-Fawaa’id by Ibn al-Qayyim, p. 33).

The way to repent is clear: give up the sin immediately; regret what has happened; resolve never to go back to it; do a lot of good deeds, for they wipe out bad deeds; keep away from the people with whom you used to commit this sin and shun them if they do not repent; keep away from bad company and everything that calls you to this sin. And Allaah will accept the repentance of those who repent to Him.

Source: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/7491/
And this ruling from Fatawa Islamiyah relates as well although a different scenario:

Question

The Shaytaan often suggests evil thoughts to me, especially when I am praying, reading the Qur'an, or making ablution. I often find myself speaking evil thoughts not with my tongue, but in my heart. It is even worse if I am praying alone. Am I sinning when this happens? Please show me the way out of this predicament.

Answer

First, you should often seek refuge in Allah Almighty from the accursed Shaytaan, and contemplate the meaning of seeking refuge in Him. Know with certainty that it is Shaytaan who is whispering to you, trying his utmost to keep you away from the straight path. Know with as much certainty that it is Allah Almighty Alone Who can protect you from the wicked plots of Shaytaan. Next, remember Allah Almighty much, supplicate to Him, utter words of remembrance, read the Qur'aan, and perform good deeds — these should help to protect you. When Shaytaan whispers to you, try to remember that he is trying to preoccupy your heart and to ruin your life; he is especially active when you are worshipping Allah Almighty, in order to make you bored. Don't let his whispers bother you or affect you, and it is Allah Almighty Who guides to what is good.

Ibn Jibreen (rahimahullaah).

This from the 'World of the Jinn and Devils' thread:

4 – The means used by the Shaytaan to misguide people

The Shaytaan does not come to people and say:

“Leave these good things and do these bad things so that you will be doomed in this world and in the Hereafter,”

- because if he did that no one would obey him. Rather he uses many ways and means to deceive the slaves of Allah.

(1) Making falsehood appear attractive

This is the way which the Shaytaan used and is still using to misguide people. So he makes falsehood appear in the guise of truth, and truth in the guise of falsehood. He is still making falsehood appear attractive and truth appear off-putting, so that people will be motivated to do evil actions and turn away from the truth. As the accursed one said to the Lord of Glory:

(Iblees (Satan) said: ‘O’ my Lord! Because You misled me, I shall indeed adorn the path of error for them (mankind) on the earth, and I shall mislead them all.

Except Your chosen, (guided) slaves among them.’

(Qur’aan, 15: 39-40)

Ibn al-Qayyim said in this context:

“One of his plots is that he always bewitches people’s minds until they are deceived, and no one is saved from his sorcery except those whom Allah wills. He makes attractive to the mind that which will harm it, until a person thinks that this is one of the most beneficial of things, and he puts him off doing that which is most beneficial for him, until he thinks that that will harm him. Laa ilaaha ill-Allah, how many people have been tempted by this sorcery! How often has it prevented a person from turning to Islam and developing faith (eemaan) and ihsaan. How often has he presented falsehood in the most beautiful image and distorted the truth to make it appear ugly, and spoilt its beautiful image. How often has he cheated those who have knowledge and passed off counterfeit thoughts to those who should know better.

He is the one who bewitches people’s minds until their owners are led into various whims and desires and different corrupt views and opinions. He misleads them in all kinds of ways and throw them into one path of destruction after another. He made the worship of idols, breaking ties of kinship, burying baby girls alive and committing incest with their own mothers attractive to them, and he promised them Paradise in spite of their disbelief in attributes of their Lord, in His being exalted and that He spoke the Books which He revealed to His Prophets. He is the one who caused them to say that in the context of declaring Allah to be above any resemblance to His creation. And he made them give up enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil on the grounds of being nice to people, treating them kindly and following the aayah, Take care of your ownselves (Qur’aan, 5: 105). He makes them turn away from that which the Messenger
:saw: brought, on the grounds of following their leaders, and he makes them content with the word of one who is more knowledgeable than them, and he causes them to be hypocrites and to compromise in the religion of Allah on the basis of knowing how to deal with people so that one can earn a living.”

In these ways, the accursed Iblees deceived Adam, when he made the idea of eating from the tree from which Allah had forbidden him to eat appear attractive to him. He kept claiming that this was the tree of eternal life, and that eating from it would make him live forever in Paradise, or would make him one of the angels, until he obeyed him, and was subsequently expelled from Paradise.

I hope this slightly clarifies (hope it is not an overload of info). Importantly, it is about suppressing those evil thoughts and ensuring that it doesn't lead to unlawful actions. The Shaytaan's is clever in this way by implanting thoughts (something harmless like a 'crush', can lead to unlawful gaze's, etc.) can lead to something forbidden. (Also I'm concerned at what your friends interpret 'love' as. People have (I don't mean your friends) skewed interpretations of love. Allah (subhaanahu wa ta'aala) knows best.