600 000 Saudi women smoke

umm hussain

JEDDAH, 5 March 2007 — Six million people in Saudi Arabia puff out 40,000 tons of cigarettes worth more than SR5 billion ($1.3 billion) every year and the number of Saudi women smokers, especially teenage girls, stands at a staggering 600,000, according to figures released by Dr. Abdullah Al-Badah, supervisor of the anti-smoking program at the Health Ministry.

The Kingdom, with a population of about 27 million including expatriates, has one of the world’s largest rates in cigarettes consumption. “The Kingdom is placed 23rd among the largest cigarette consuming countries. Annual per capita cigarette intake in the Kingdom is 2,130 while its total annual consumption is put at 15 billion cigarettes,” Al-Badah explained. Muhammad ibn Marzouk Al-Harithy, director of the Charitable Society to Enhance Public Awareness against Smoking and Drugs in the Makkah Region, estimates the annual number of deaths in the Kingdom as a result of smoking-related diseases to be 23,000. A large number of people suffer from chronic diseases, including cardiac ailments and different types of cancer every year due to smoking, he added.

“If we assume that the Kingdom’s six million smokers consume at least one packet of cigarettes valued at SR5, the total spending is SR30 million daily,” he pointed out.

“About 8 percent of young Saudi men and women start smoking before the primary-school level; 20 percent during primary-school level; 30 percent during intermediate level; and 10 percent while they are in the first year of the secondary level,” he said, citing results of a survey.

Dr. Amer Radwi, consultant oncologist at Princess Noura Oncology Center of King Abdul Aziz Medical City in Jeddah, called for a nationwide campaign to reduce the spread of smoking, especially among young men and women. “We should target students at schools and universities as the majority picks up the habit before the age of 20,” he pointed out. He urged the government to enforce regulations to ban smoking in public places.

Radwi cautioned men and women against the dangerous consequences of smoking as it can cause various types of cancer such as lung cancer, head and neck cancer, stomach cancer and bladder cancer. “People should keep away from smoking areas as secondary smoking is equally dangerous and deadly. Parents should not smoke inside their houses to protect their children and other family members from the hazardous effects of smoking.”

Studies have proved that secondary smoking causes thousands of deaths from lung cancer and heart disease among healthy nonsmokers each year.

“Cigarette smoke contains about 4,500 chemical agents, including over 60 carcinogens,” Radwi told Arab News. They include substances, such as carbon monoxide, tar, arsenic, and lead, which are toxic to the human body. Nicotine is a drug that is naturally present in the tobacco plant and is primarily responsible for a person’s addiction to tobacco products, including cigarettes. While smoking, nicotine is absorbed quickly into the bloodstream and travels to the brain in a matter of seconds.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
:salam2:
why not use islam as a tool. Some say smoking is haram . Why not use that as a tool...

Singapore has quite an interesting way in its campaign against smoking..
The pack of cigarettes comes with warning against smoking..there is also a new advertisement showing the effects of smoking...Smoking is also restricted in a number of places in Singapore...Maybe Saudi needs to learn from Singapore...

Can smoking be banned?? I doubt so

UmmOf3

Salaam aleikum

Its same here in Norway too, like in Singapore, that all packets of smoke comes with a warning, and they show some hideous infomercials on TV about the effects of smoking...

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

I didn't know it was that bad! But it's even worse in Egypt. I remember seeing people smoke wherever I went. Even in hospital waiting rooms......According to statistics, almost half of Egyptians smoke!

wasalam

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

I didn't know it was that bad! But it's even worse in Egypt. I remember seeing people smoke wherever I went. Even in hospital waiting rooms......According to statistics, almost half of Egyptians smoke!

wasalam

That is shocking!!!!! And Egypt is a muslim country...I dont know why people smoke..Nicotine is additive...This only benefit the tobacco producing companies...They are rich..we are wasting money...

I think i heard shisha is worse than cigarette smoking...

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Assalam Alaykum

Dear All,

even i'm Egyption n also don't like any one take about Saudi women cause of my family there..

But i don't care about anyone in over All world..
if All ppls in over All world doing something Haraam ..why not! u be only one who didn't do Haraam..!!?

Smoking is Haraam..if anyone wanna doing something Haraam feel free to do it..
But don't he 'll be ask about that in the last day..

<wasalam>

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Assalam Alaykum

Dear All,

even i'm Egyption n also don't like any one take about Saudi women cause of my family there..

But i don't care about anyone in over All world..
if All ppls in over All world doing something Haraam ..why not! u be only one who didn't do Haraam..!!?

Smoking is Haraam..if anyone wanna doing something Haraam feel free to do it..
But don't he 'll be ask about that in the last day..

<wasalam>

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah..

bro .. we need to care about them.we do not want to be in jannah without them right..but that is provided we get to jannah inshAllah
:)

A Muslim is a Muslim's brother; he does not wrong him or abandon him. If anyone cares for his brother's need, Allah will care for his need; if anyone removes his brother's anxiety, Allah will remove from him one of the anxieties of the Day of Resurrection; and if anyone conceals a Muslim's secret, Allah will conceal his secret on the Day of Resurrection.
(Bukhari, Muslim).

By Him in Whose hand my soul is, a man does not believe till he likes for his brother what he likes for himself.
(Bukhari, Muslim).

That is shocking!!!!! And Egypt is a muslim country...I dont know why people smoke..Nicotine is additive...The only one that benefit is tobacco producing companies...They are rich..we are wasting money...

I think i heard shisha is worse than cigarette smoking...

yes brother egypt is a muslim country but how many percent of islam is there in egypt that is the fact.

now a days muslims do manythings which is not related with islam.

because muslims left the quran and sunnah.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

Firstly Tobacco is Big business. It generates billions of dollars.

In the West there is wide spread campaign to ban it, to shun it and those who smoke are now not seen as being cool. Tobacco Advertising is now illegal and the boxes carry large warnings about its harmful effects.

whereas in the Middle East and in poor parts of the world such as Asia and Africa it is being advertised even more.

In Middle East, the Arabs men and women smoke a lot. I dont think Saudi is the worst in terms of smoking. They are all same. That is big shame.

wasalam

ShyHijabi

Asalam Alekum

Brother Masboot is right, it really is a big money bussiness. I think the best thing is to take the glamour out of the advertisements in smoking. Teenagers are the most likely to start smoking usually due to peer pressure. If we show that smoking is a sure fire way to age someone prematurely, yellow the teeth and nails, make you smell hideous, and most importantly...shorten your life and give you a long, protracted, painful death I think it may curtail some of the people joining the ranks of smokers.

However, even the anti-smoking advertisements only tell you it is poisonous and will kill you. I think they should show an excised diseased lung from the cadaver of someone who died from the effects of smoking. It would also be great of they showed how cancer basically eats away at the tissue in the mouth and respiratory tract. I wonder if my brother would've seen something like that when he was a teenager if he would've never started smoking?

~Sarah

UmmOf3

Salaam aleikum

The norwegian anti-smoking infomercials are pretty graphic. I will see if I can find some of them online maybe, so you can see. It shows the inside of a lung that smoked for years etc...

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Salaam aleikum

The norwegian anti-smoking infomercials are pretty graphic. I will see if I can find some of them online maybe, so you can see. It shows the inside of a lung that smoked for years etc...

Assalamualaikum..

This link will show u the graphics on cigarettes pack
www.flickr.com/photos/adamchamness/352763562/

SINGAPORE: A new hard-hitting anti-smoking campaign in Singapore aims to jolt smokers into quitting.
The three-month campaign includes graphic television advertisements showing cancer sufferers.

Singapore may have one of the lowest number of smokers in the region, but it still faces a challenge convincing some hardcore smokers to snub it out.

In total, the number of smokers in Singapore has dropped.

The last National Health Survey shows that over 12 percent of Singaporeans are smokers.

This is 3 percent lower than the figure six years earlier.

Choo Lin, Deputy Director, Smoking Control, Health Promotion Board, said: "One of the issues we are facing now are the psychologically and physiologically dependent smokers in Singapore because our smoking rate is so low.

"For countries with a low smoking rate, you do face a very resistant population. We really have to come with hard-hitting messages to jolt them."

But just how far will visual threats work?

Some people think smokers will consider quitting after they see the pictures.

And that is what the anti-smoking event hopes to achieve when it goes to the Central Business District next week.

- CNA/so

divident

Jew

The Jew just too succesfull to 'ruin' this world,tobaco world first commercial are by the jew,fast food restaurant,television by it's series,drama with softcore sex on it which turn us slowly to accept free sex,and tobacco comercial advertisement put whereever they found,guess what?the jew own 70% of the company in the world,microsoft? jew, last couple days was my birthday,i was a heavy smoker after remembering that smoking getting nowhere for my future and make my healthy even worse,i decided to stop,and so on good bye with mc donald,kfc,pepsi , palestine need more of our attention, to know more about how REALLY success the jew are by their 100 years old planned protocol of zion,read the book "International Jew",Jew are too feeble to planned this whole thing?because of their genocide?their genocide just a b.s : http://www.heretical.com/holohoax/index.html

Wassalamu'alaikum Wr Wb

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
The Jew just too succesfull to 'ruin' this world,tobaco world first commercial are by the jew,fast food restaurant,television by it's series,drama with softcore sex on it which turn us slowly to accept free sex,and tobacco comercial advertisement put whereever they found,guess what?the jew own 70% of the company in the world,microsoft? jew, last couple days was my birthday,i was a heavy smoker after remembering that smoking getting nowhere for my future and make my healthy even worse,i decided to stop,and so on good bye with mc donald,kfc,pepsi , palestine need more of our attention, to know more about how REALLY success the jew are by their 100 years old planned protocol of zion,read the book "International Jew",Jew are too feeble to planned this whole thing?because of their genocide?their genocide just a b.s : http://www.heretical.com/holohoax/index.html

This 'lets blame the Jews' mentality won't get us anywhere Brother. It's easy enough to blame everyone else but it takes something else to look at our own failings and to correct that.

wasalam

divident

This 'lets blame the Jews' mentality won't get us anywhere Brother. It's easy enough to blame everyone else but it takes something else to look at our own failings and to correct that.

wasalam

Yes we should not have blame mentality,My 'blaming' not without any causes,it's already in a verse on Al-Qur'an, Christian and Jew won't stop their 'step' until Qiyamah come,and based on these i have done many research,the jew doing dzalim with our brother and sister then we still 'supporting' them by buying their product?Does when Rasullulah SAW is there any excesive smoker?fast food?entertainment with softcore sex on it?in you study physocology whatever your mind if you doing this everday,you will slowly become fan even zina,marijuana are your daily needs, many of my friend here seeing Boyfriend and girlfriend relationship are not complete without freesex,french kiss are normal for them,clubbing are their weekly needs.All of these are fit in their book "Protocol of Zion",we have proof not just a su'udzon (naa'udzubillah himindzalik),even some of subjective western scholarship admit these thing.

Wassalamu'alaikum Wr Wb

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

All of these things you've mentioned are problems we face today, whether you think it's because of 'zionism' or the influence of a secular western society. Either way, Islam has the answer to all these problems. If the Muslim ummah as a whole practised Islam properly, such things would not affect Muslims in the slightest.

wasalam

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Salaam aleikum

Well, That I dont know, but here is one from me:

Attachments

• specially for smokers.jpg
    specially for smokers.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 38

divident

All of these things you've mentioned are problems we face today, whether you think it's because of 'zionism' or the influence of a secular western society. Either way, Islam has the answer to all these problems. If the Muslim ummah as a whole practised Islam properly, such things would not affect Muslims in the slightest.

wasalam

Right,but ironicly some of our brother and sister felt into these 'hole',as we are moslem we ourself not just need to take ourself but also remembering other brother and sister,human are not perfect sometime we forget.

Wassalamu'alaikum Wr Wb

Amir_of_spain

knowledge is power

JEDDAH, 5 March 2007 — Six million people in Saudi Arabia puff out 40,000 tons of cigarettes worth more than SR5 billion ($1.3 billion) every year and the number of Saudi women smokers, especially teenage girls, stands at a staggering 600,000, according to figures released by Dr. Abdullah Al-Badah, supervisor of the anti-smoking program at the Health Ministry.

Asalam wailkium.

Can you please provide the sources/references for the above data so that one can check and verify the information that is being presented. I think every Muslim should check their sources prior to making quick conclusions.

Amir of Science

a_stranger

The problem is mental slavery that ruins most people muslems or non muslems . The sick values that are being injected in minds of youth by movies , tv .......media which presents the stars ( with no light ) who smokes, do all kinds of mistakes in a lovely way ( in eyes of youth). All kinds of sickness is presented coated with a very thin cover of sweats , when you break the cover you find true illness. Islam if followed sincerely can stop such kind of blindness.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem is mental slavery that ruins most people muslems or non muslems . The sick values that are being injected in minds of youth by movies , tv .......media which presents the stars ( with no light ) who smokes, do all kinds of mistakes in a lovely way ( in eyes of youth). All kinds of sickness is presented coated with a very thin cover of sweats , when you break the cover you find true illness. Islam if followed sincerely can stop such kind of blindness.