8,000 Bangladeshi workers died abroad in past 5 years: Report

hafeezanwar

8,000 Bangladeshi workers died abroad in past 5 years: Report

Bangladesh, whose economy depends heavily on remittances from citizens employed abroad, received over 8,000 coffins in the last five years, a report said.

Job insecurity, tension at work, poor working conditions and unhealthy food habits have been cited as among the main reasons for the deaths.

The debate over the deaths is on as Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina secured major concessions for Bangladeshi expatriates from Saudi Arabian authorities during her visit earlier this month.

Around 44 percent of the Bangladeshi migrant workers who returned home in coffins between Jan 1 and May 9 this year had died of cardiac arrests in West Asian and Southeast Asian countries, raising serious questions about the living standards of migrant workers in those countries, The Daily Star said Wednesday.

Cardiologists said acute tension caused by uncertainties of income and unhealthy food habits may lead to deaths by heart attacks, while labour rights activists are emphatic that mental tension caused by low income, debts, and lack of medical care abroad lead to such deaths.

A total of 904 bodies of migrant workers came from different countries between January and May, 391 of whom died of cardiac arrests, 268 in workplace accidents, 62 in road accidents, 115 of other illnesses, and the remaining due to various other reasons, according to official sources at Zia International Airport (ZIA).

Among the 391 deaths by cardiac arrests, 119 were in Saudi Arabia, 82 in Malaysia, 72 in the United Arab Emirates, 35 in Kuwait, 16 in Oman, 10 in Qatar, 10 in Bahrain, seven in Singapore and two in Lebanon - the major destinations abroad for Bangladeshi labourers.

The number of deaths of migrant workers abroad has been increasing exponentially since 2004.

Last year, the number of dead bodies transported home was 2,237, which was 1,673 in 2007, 1,402 in 2006, 1,248 in 2005, and 788 in 2004.

“It is usual that our workers have acute mental tension, as they work far from their relatives, and quite often their incomes are not up to their expectations,” said K.M.H.S. Sirajul Haque, chairman of the cardiology department at Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University.

In the Middle Eastern countries the migrant workers also eat more meat and other fatty foods than vegetables, he added, saying such food habits increase the risk of heart attacks.

Al-Amin Nayon, executive director of International Migrants Alliance Research Foundation, said it is surprising that many deceased workers aged between 25 and 40 had been medically fit at the time of leaving home, but died within a few months of getting to their workplaces abroad.

------Agencies

wannabe_muttaqi

A MUSLIM BROTHER
Assalamu Alaikum

:salam2: ,
It is sad o hear this. People there are struggling to get basic amenities for their family. May ALLAH SWT help them and keep them safe. Ameen.

:wasalam:

AKHI

Allahuakhbar
:salam2:

Late last year till early march this year. There was a young Imam from Bangladeshi (23 years old) came to my country, Singapore, to work as a rigger in an offshore base. He paid about 8000 Singapore Dollars to his agent in Bangladesh to get a job in Singapore for 2 years. His basic pay was about $500 and his overtime pay was on an average of 30 hrs per month. Accommodation was provided by the company i work with but his payroll is thru a 3party agent.

His presence was a blessing to the Bangladeshi workers as he call the workers to prayers, taught them to read the Quran and also act as a religious leader in the Bangladesh community.

I have the opportunity to make friends with him and also occasionally pray Jema'ah together with him leading the prayer as an Imam. His story to come to Singapore to work as a labourer was somehow interesting and heart warming. (Pm me if you want to find out).

Sadly, during the global recession and due to a very questionable reason, his work permit was cancel by the Singapore Government and he was force to return home immediately. I did not manage to say good-bye but I Du'a to Allah to help him to settle the $8000 of money which he had paid to his Agent.Obviously, he didn't even manage to cover his expenses to Singapore. However, I have confidence that Allah have better plans for him back in Bangladesh.

Sorry if i go off track but from this story you can somehow figure the working condition of these people our Muslim brother who work overseas as a 3rd class citizen.

:wasalam: