A Scholar once asked his student:

suzanne

A Scholar once asked his student:

You have accompanied me for a long period of time, so what have you learnt?
He replied : "Eight things"

The first: I looked at the creation and found that every person has something that is beloved to him, but when that person reaches his grave, his beloved would be separated from him. So I made the most beloved thing to me my righteous deeds, so that they may be with me in my grave.

The second: I looked at the saying of Allah the Elevated:

{And for such as had entertained the fear of standing before their Lord's (tribunal) and had restrained (their) soul from lower desires, Their abode will be the Garden.} Quran79:40-41

So I strove against my self, repelling desires and lusts from it until it settled upon obedience to Allah.

The Third: I saw that whoever possessed something valuable would keep it in a safe and secure place, I then looked at the saying of Allah the Glorified:

{What is with you must vanish: what is with God will endure. And We will certainly bestow, on those who patiently persevere, their reward according to the best of their actions. } Quran16:96
So whenever something of value came into my possession, I directed it to Him, so that it may remain for me with Him.

The Fourth: I saw that people return to wealth, lineage and nobility, and they are all worthless, so I looked at the saying of Allah the Glorified:

{O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of God is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And God has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things)..} Quran49:13

So I worked on attaining Taqwaa or righteousness so that I may be honorable with Allah.

The Fifth: I saw that people envy each other, so I looked at the saying of the Elevated:

{Is it they who would portion out the Mercy of thy Lord? It is We Who portion out between them their livelihood in the life of this world: and We raise some of them above others in ranks, so that some may command work from others. But the Mercy of thy Lord is better than the (wealth) which they amass.} Quran 43:32

So I left envy and jealousy.

The Sixth: I saw them taking each other as enemies, so I looked at the saying of the Glorified:

{Verily Satan is an enemy to you: so treat him as an enemy. He only invites his adherents, that they may become Companions of the Blazing Fire.} Quran35:6

So I left their enmity and took Satan as my enemy.

The Seventh: I saw that they humiliate themselves in pursuing provision, so I looked at the saying of Allah the Glorified:

{There is no moving creature on earth but its sustenance dependeth on God: He knoweth the time and place of its definite abode and its temporary deposit: All is in a clear Record.} Quran 11:6

So I concentrated on what was due to Him from me, and left what was due to me to Him.

The Eighth: I saw them dependent upon their trades, professions and health, so I depended upon Allah the Glorified.

{And He provides for him from (sources) he never could imagine. And if any one puts his trust in God, sufficient is (God) for him. For God will surely accomplish his purpose: verily, for all things has God appointed a due proportion.} Quran 65:3

:tti_sister: