A Walk By The River

Zaii

LifeIsAStruggle____
A Walk by the River

Author Unknown

Once there was a small house near to a river bank. There were three people living in the house. A man his wife and his old father. The man was very happy with his wife and they had good a life together. But his father was very old and sick and often needed assistance from his son and daughter-in-law day and night.

During the day they had to serve him food and medicine and at night he used to cough up a lot. The reason why the married couple were not able to sleep properly. This routine kept on going for sometime.

One night the man and his wife discussed something in their room and then the man came out and he asked his father to ride on his back.

The father asked "O my son where are you taking me?"

The man replied "Dad! I want to take you out for a change since it's been a long time that you haven't stepped outside the house."

The father was riding on the back of his son and the son walked towards a river. The father thought his son would stop on the edge of the river and let him observe the natural scene.

But the son entered into the river and he stopped until the water reached to his chest.

The son was about to throw his father into the river when suddenly his father told him to stop.

The son froze and stopped what he was about to do.

The father said "O my son I knew why and where you were going to take me, but before you throw me in the river I want to tell you something. The place where you are standing right now is exactly the same place where I threw my father in the river. So please throw me in a little bit deeper into the river, so when it comes your turn then your son has to walk a little bit more...

"Thy Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him, and that you be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honour. And out of kindness, lower to them the wing of humility, and say: My Lord! Bestow on them Thy Mercy even as they cherished me in childhood. Your Lord knows best what is in your hearts: If you do deeds of righteousness, verily He is Most Forgiving to those who turn to Him again and again (in true penitence)"
[surah al-Isra: 23]