Acceptable muslim appearances etc....

spider33

Im new to islam....so I would like to ask, is it acceptable for a muslim man to not have a beard? I mean it may sound stupid but I have always wondered about this.

Also could someone please inform me as to why it is against islam to drink alcohol....I mean its just something I have always wondered about.

Thanks for your help people :)

spider33

Thanks for your reply, I would have appreciated less sarcasm....and I do know of what alcohol can cause and erectile dysfunction is only caused when people are alcoholics! alcohol is not a bad thing if you know how to control yourself.....thanks very much.

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Hi spider, assalamu 'aleikum,

Regarding the alcohol, Allaah says in the following verse to the Prophet (peace be upon him):

''They ask you about intoxicants and games of chance. Say: In both of them there is a great sin and means of profit for men, and their sin is greater than their profit. And they ask you as to what they should spend. Say: What you can spare. Thus does Allah make clear to you the communications, that you may ponder.''

This verse is very explicit, yes there may be some ''good'' however its evil and sin are far greater than the ''good'' they may bring therefore we have been ordered to abstain and stay far from it. We should avoid all physical contact with alcohol and that's why in a narration by the Prophet (peace be upon him) we are told that the one who carries the wine, the one who sells it, the one who pours it (even to someone else), the one who facilitates its propagation.. I believe there are 7 types of people well, all of these are also sinning even if they're not in actual fact drinking it.

It's best to keep far away.

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Another point of interest, the scholars usually label alcohol as the 'Mother of all Evils'.
Also, here's a short (hopefully it's not too long) about the history of alcohol in Islam. Hope you enjoy it!

History of Alcohol in Islam: During the early days of Islam, consumption of liquor, just like other ills and evils of society, was also prevalent. When Prophet Muhammad migrated from Makkah to Madinah he found that the people of Madina were also indulged in drinking. The masses were so attracted by the superficial and deceptive benefits offered by drinking that their minds became oblivious of the harmful effects and the evils lurking within these addictions.

Our Prophet was the finest model who set the best example of his sublime characteristic, so much that whatever was yet to be declared prohibited His habit and nature made him detest it from the very outset. Besides Prophet Muhammad, other companions of the Prophet also refrained from consuming alcoholic beverages even when these were permitted.

On Reaching Madinah, some of companions of Prophet realized the evil in liquor. So, Umar Farooq, Mu'adh Ibn Jabal, and some of the other companions approached Prophet Muhammad and questioned him regarding alcohol and gambling, which they thought was ruining not only man’s intellect but also his wealth.
In response to this query, the above verse (2:219) -that's the verse I quoted in my first message -was revealed and it constituted the first of a series of revelations leading to the final and conclusive verse, which prohibited and declared prohibited (haram) both gambling and liquor.

Although the above verse dose not prohibit alcohol clearly but it clearly indicates the harms of alcohol and also the fact that it not liked by ALLAH. At least this verse presents an advice for abstaining from the usage of alcohol. This is why some of the companions after hearing this verse immediately stopped consuming alcohol and accepted this advice.
On the other hand, some of the other companions resumed that this verse did not declare alcohol prohibited, so they declared that it overtakes full precaution and law, that a mediate consumption of alcohol would not be
harmful. However, shortly an incident occurred which brought about a sudden change in the situation. One day, Abdur-Rahman Ibn Auf had invited some of his companions, and as was the custom of the Arabs they had consumed alcohol after their needs. Thereafter, while still in a state of intoxication, the Maghrib Prayer was performed. The leader of congregation (Imam) who was also drunk made an error in his recitation of Surah Kafiroon. Upon this, the second step was taken to prevent the consumption of alcohol, by the revelation of the following verse:

O you who believe! do not go near prayer when you are Intoxicated until you know (well) what you say(SURAH NISA 4:43) This verse now declared alcohol prohibited in clear-cut terms but the consumption was for the duration of prayer times, and at other periods, it was still permissible. With this second warning many more of the companions of the Prophet refrained completely from drinking Alcohol, reasoning that what good can there be in something that deprives one from Prayer.

There were others however, who drank liquor during the intervening periods of prayer until the following incident took place: Uthmaan Ibn Maalik invited a few companions for a meal. After the meal, as was customary liquor was served. Thereafter, they became involved in another Arab custom, reciting poetry praising oneself, family and clan and simultaneously teasing and belittling others who didn’t belong to that group. During this gathering, Saad Ibn Abi Waqqas (R.A) recited a few lines of poetry in which he criticized and
belittled the Ansars of Madinah. Hearing this, an Ansari (R.A) youth became enraged and threw a bone at him, which inflicted a severe wound on the head of Saad Ibn Waqqas (R.A).

He then complained against the youngster to Prophet Muhammad after which he made dua’a to Allah: “O Allah! Grant us a clear cut for regarding alcohol.” In response to this the 3rd and 4th verses concerning the complete prohibition of alcohol, were revealed as part of Surah Ma’idah: O you who believe! intoxicants and games of chance and (sacrificing to) stones set up and (dividing by)arrows are only an uncleanness, the Shaitan's work; shun it therefore that you may be successful. The Shaitan only desires to cause enmity and hatred to spring in your midst by means of intoxicants and games of chance, and to keep you off from the remembrance of Allah and from prayer. Will you then desist?(SURAH MAIDA 5:90-91)

Allah in his wisdom, firstly disclosed the evils in alcohol, then prohibited it at prayer times and finally declared it absolutelyPro h ib ited. In the verse under discussion, ALLAH says that there is much harm in alcohol and that is the reason for its prohibition. As a rule, we see that ALLAH has prohibited those things for us, which are harmful for us, and this is what medical science is telling us nowadays. Like we saw in the case of pork meat, blood and dead meat under (2:173).

World Peace

Islam is Light
Asalam aleacom warahmato Allah wabarakato brother spider33

Regarding Alcohol:

Prohibition of the Consumption of Alcohol in the Bible

"John the Baptist drank neither grape juice nor wine." (Luke 1:15)

"Christ warned against drunkenness."
(Luke 12:45)

"A drinking servant is unprepared for his Lord’s return." (Mathew 24:48-51)

"Now see to it that you drink no wine or other fermented drink and that you do not eat anything unclean"(Judges 13:4)

"God commanded priests not to drink so that they could tell the differencebetween the holy and the unholy." (Leviticus 10:9-11)

"Again God instructed the priests not to drink wine." (Ezekiel 44:21)

"Drinkers cannot escape the consequences when God judges." (Isaiah 24:9)

"Woe to those who get up early to drink and stay up late at night to get drunk." (Isaiah 5:11-12)

"A man is betrayed by wine." (Habakkuk 2:5)

"Woe to him that gives his neighbor drink" (Habakkuk 2:15)

"Drinking leads to shame." (Habakkuk 2:16)

"Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging" (Proverbs 20:1)

"A wise person will not be among the drinkers of alcoholic beverages." (Proverbs 23:19-20)

"God instructs not to look at intoxicating drinks." (Proverbs 23:31)

"Alcoholic drinks bite like a serpent, sting like an adder." (Proverbs 23:32)

"Alcohol makes the drinker unstable" (Proverbs 23:34)

"A land is blessed when its leaders do not drink." (Ecclesiastes 10:17)

Prohibition of the Consumption of Alcohol in the Holy Quran

"They ask thee concerning wine and gambling. Say: "In them is great sin, and some profit, for men; but the sin is greater than the profit...." (The Holy Quran, 2:219)

"O ye who believe! Intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination,- of Satan's handwork: eschew such (abomination), that ye may prosper." Satan's plan is (but) to excite enmity and hatred between you, with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah, and from prayer: will ye not then abstain?". Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger, and beware (of evil): if ye do turn back, know ye that it is Our Messenger.s duty to proclaim (the message) in the clearest manner.(The Holy Quran, 5:90-92)

Prohibition of Alcohol in Hadith

"Alcohol is the mother of all evils and it is the most shameful of evils." In Sunan Ibn-I-Majah Volume 3, Book of Intoxicants, Chapter 30, Hadith No. 3371.

"Anything which intoxicates in a large quantity, is prohibited even in a small quantity." In Sunan Ibn-I-Majah Volume 3, Book of Intoxicants, Chapter 30, Hadith No. 3392

Not only those who drink alcohol are cursed but also those who deal with them directly or indirectly are cursed by Allah.

It was reported by Anas (may Allah be pleased with him), that Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:
"God’s curse falls on ten groups of people who deal with alcohol. The one who distills it, the one for whom it has been distilled, the one who drinks it, the one who transports it, the one to who it has been brought, the one whom serves it, the one who sells it, the one who utilizes money from it, the one who buys it and the one who buys it for someone else." According to Sunan Ibn-I-Majah Volume 3, Book of Intoxicants, Chapter 30, Hadith No. 3380.

Wasalam aleacom warahmato Allah wabarakato

spider33

Thank you for the help brother.....I was afraid to ask as I felt kind of stupid.....but I guess its not a sin to ask these questions is it.

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
No sin in asking, and no question is ever stupid =) so don't worry.
Asking questions is one of the best ways to increase in knowledge, so ask away.

World Peace

Islam is Light
Asalam aleacom warahmato Allah wabarakato brother spider33

I agree with sister Libinette. Do not feel that way, continue asking questions.

“Whoever treads on a path in search of Islamic knowledge, Allah will ease the way to Paradise for him. The angels will lower their wings, pleased with this seeker of knowledge, and everyone in the heavens and on earth will ask forgiveness for the knowledgeable person, even the fish in the deepest of waters will ask for his forgiveness” (Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah, Tirmidhi, 2835-sahih hadith)

Wasalam aleacom warahmato Allah wabarakato

DanyalSAC

weird questions but understandable, firstly men without beards can actually be mistaken for women, Having a beard is the main feature that distinguishes between both sexes. The beard is usually shaved by transvestite men who act like women, it makes a man feel more feminine, im sure theres a lot more to it but thats all i can think of right now

and as for alcohol well it intoxicates you, i.e. makes you lose control of your mind, you begin to do things which you may regret later, it is also an addiction, and interestingly enough alcohol is the number 1 reason behind impotency in the UK yep thats right (Erectile Dysfunction) is caused by drinking..

Asalaamu alaikum -

I am sorry but that line is really reaching. Many men shave their beards for a myriad of other reasons. One brother I know shaves because it itches. Still others because their job will not allow facial hair. I also know a couple younger brothers who shave because their moms tell them to (you would be stunned to find out how many Muslimahs wear hijab and concealing clothing yet want their men to resemble the kufr). Not everything has a sexual deviancy as its motivation...!

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum

I really cringed at some answers which i deleted from here, which was advice given in a very crude manner to a person starting their journey and seeking knowledge in Islam. I would suggest that a person thinks carefully before writing what could be damaging to other people.

Brother Spider33, in Islam, yes men do keep beards, but you should not worry about that at this moment. Of course Men can be Muslim without having beards. Its wrong for someone to name call or judge others based on their appearance.

Its of the greatest importance for us to be learning about Allah subhana wa ta'ala, gaining more knowledge about Him, putting our time and efforts in perfecting our prayers and also our manners and character. This is the core of a Muslim, and the hijab and the beard and the attire, are those things that are the icing on the cake. - But, if the insides are rotten, then it matters not what is on the outside. - It is important for those new and learning about the Deen, whether from a Muslim or non-Muslim past, to take the right steps in the right direction.

May Allah guide us to that which is the right way.

Wasalamu Alaykum