Assalamu Alaikum I am Aminah, Brandon Al'Abraham's Wife

Aminah 4 Allah

I beleive in Allah
Assalamu Alaikum Brothers and Sisters in Islam,

I am sure that you are all wondering what my story is....well I will tell you inshallah.

I actually don't get asked very often why I converted/reverted (went back to following my roots at the time of my creation and submit myself to God entirely) to Islam especially by non-Muslims but recently I have had a few people inquiring about my decision. I think that most people are afraid to ask because they think that I will get offended which is not the case at all. So here it is: my story...

I have always believed in God. I used to attend a girls group at the local Baptist Church when I was in elementary school. On Sunday mornings I would also attend the church service and Sunday school. As I got older I stopped going to church altogether and it wasn't until I went to Concordia High School for grade 12 that I returned to my faith. My husband was a Christian when I met him and he took me to the Pentecostal Church and this is where I really embranced God and Jesus which was great for me. As Concordia is a Christian High School it was mandatory for grade 12 students to take a World Religions course and that's when I first began to learn about Islam. At that time I actually wanted to convert but my husband, who was my boyfriend at the time, told me that I was crazy so unfortunately I forced myself to forgot about it for a time. Then during the summer of 2006 there was the big crisis in Lebanon. My husband started looking into what was really going on in the Middle East and the history behind all of the fighting and choas which led him to learn about Islam and the final Prophet of God that came after Jesus (peace be upon him). This is when the tables really turned and he told me that he was going to revert to Islam and I was now the one to tell him that he was crazy!! But he was very determined and I agreed to take him to the Mosque so he could recite the Shahada. Immediately after he did this I really saw a good change in him and this sparked my interests so I started to read about Islam again, online mostly and everything that I knew from being a Christian and attending church and everything that I had always doubted about the Bible and Christian tradition all became clear to me and then I couldn't undo the knowledge I had gained. I decided I would revert as well. So a few days after my husband reverted, I did and then we were married a couple of weeks after that at the Mosque during the first week of the month of Ramadan.

Anyways back to the reasons why I reverted to Islam: I am not sure if you have read the Bible or how much you know about the story of Jesus (peace be upon him) and stuff but I am sure you are at least aware of the stories. The difference between Christianity and Islam really starts with something that I always had trouble with as a Christian. Christians believe that Jesus (peace be upon him) is actually in physical reality the son of God. To me this seems to be impossible because how could God biologically have a son when it's God. We don't see God, he's not a human like us living on the Earth but he does take care of the entire universe! It just never made that much sense to me so I sort of ignored that part of the Bible and Christian tradition and decided that it must be a misinterpretation from the Hebrew translation or something and that what is actually meant is that Jesus (peace be upon him) is the son of God as we are all the sons and daughters of God. After all he is our heavenly father and our creator. I figured that it had to be along the same idea of creating Adam and Eve from nothing. If God can do this then why couldn't he make the virgin Mary pregnant with Jesus (peace be upoon him) and allow Jesus (peace be upon him) to be born of a miraculous birth? There are other things that I had trouble accepting when it came to studying the Bible such as why do Christians hardly ever read the Old Testament (the Jewish Torah) because it is all part of the Holy Bible, isn't it? Also, I was always uneasy about how the Bible was sort of complied by Constantine quite some time after Jesus (peace be upon him) had been raised up to heaven to sit at the right hand of God. Plus things were changed and omitted by Constantine in order to surpress the people of Rome in his time. Who knows what else was done and made up by this power hungary ruler Constantine so I drew the conclusion that the Bible was not entirely accurate because of all the tampering and that's why I had trouble accepting things in Christianity even though I had always believed with my whole heart in God and all of his Prophets (peace be upon them all). When I started researching Islam I found out that the Quran is not a recollection of diciples and companions of God's Prophets (peace be upon them all) that were written down years after the knowledge was first acquired, but that God actually spoke directly to Muhammad (peace be upon him) through the Angel Gabriel and revealed a Message to Humanity (the Holy Quran) in his own (that is God's own) words. It's hard to imagine that there are so many people in the world unaware of the message God has revealed to humanity. So far it seems that the leaders of the Church have been able to blind sight people quite well. And likely many church leaders are unaware of the true meaning of the Holy Quran and it's relevance to what they preach each Sunday. It is going to be interesting in the next few years as Islam is now the fastest growing religion in the world and by 2010 it is expected that it will be the most predominant religion in the world. As I have now been Muslim for more than a year alhumdulilah I don't doubt this at all. At our Mosque I see new sisters reverting all the time. In fact just last night I attended an Iftar party for a new sister who has just embraced Islam, alhumdulilah. As the revelations from God came to the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) through the Angel Gabriel they were written down immediately by his companions that were scribes and professional orators. It is amazing to find out that an authentic copy of the Quran is actually still in tact and available to read to this day. I can hardly believe that there are actual copies of the original Quran is in a museums in both Istanbul, Turkey and Tashkent, Uzbekistan and that you can actually go there and see them! Finding this out completely blew my mind! God promised to protect the original Quran and he has even after all of these years. Amazing!! Since all Arabic copies that have been made of the Quran are identical I love that Muslims strive to learn Arabic so they can read the Quran in the exact words and language it was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) in. I do not speak much Arabic yet but am trying to learn more all the time and have so far only read the Quran in English. There is just so much to say about why I reverted because it's all so complex and intertwined.

Another thing about the Holy Quran is that it directly refers to the scriptures (Torah or the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament including the Gospels) that came before it. Muhammad (peace be upon him) being illiterate and raised in Saudi where at the time they still worshiped multiple Gods would never have had any exposure to Christian or Jewish teachings, culture and beliefs. I found that to be indisputable evidence that only God could have revealed the Holy Quran to Muhammad (peace be upon him) otherwise how would he ever have known about the past Prophets (peace be upon them all) and scriptures and other things that are referred to throughout the Holy Quran.

I find it so interesting how Islam is the only religion that I am aware of that is not named after a people (eg. Judaism is named after the Jewish people who were from Jerusalem) or a founder of the religion (eg. Christanity is named after Jesus Christ or Buddhism is named after Buddha). Islam is the perfect word for faith in God, as of course it means submission to God. Then to follow that suit Muslim meaning one who submits themself to God is the perfect word for Islam's followers. I could hardly believe it when I learnt that Allah meant God and that even Christians and Jews who speak Arabic worship Allah, after all there is only one God. I find it so interesting that all living creature: humans, animal, etc. are born as Muslims as before birth and as babies we are all completely submitted to the will of God. In making the decision to re-submit myself entirely to God I have reverted and gone back to how I was submitted to God as a baby and man does it ever feel like home, what can I say?

My decision to revert was solidified when I learnt about all the rights that women are given in Islam as women are held in the highest regard and must be respected and listened to. It is vitually unbelievable for a woman raised in the 'West' to find out that at the time of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) 1200 years ago women were given the right to vote. When I found that out I nearly flipped because women in the West have been suppressed for soooo long and have not even had the right to vote for 100 years. Women were still seen as second class citizens even when my Grandmothers were girls. The guidelines set out in the Holy Quran about marriage and divorce and how a husband must treat his wife are beautiful. I love that God commands in the Holy Quran that a husband is never to leave a mark on his wife and that he should treat her with love and kindness. It's so amazing that women had the right to ask for a divorce if their husband mistreated them for any reason and would be granted hundreds of years ago. I know that divorce was not even allowed in Christian nations until recent years and even more recent years where women can ask for the divorce. And of course divorce is completely frowned upon by Christians and I would imagine Jews as well because they think you should never break the sanctity of marriage but what if your husband, or wife for that matter, is beating you? That is insane to ask someone to stay in an abusive relationship just because breaking the holy sanctity of marriage is a sin. I sincerely believe that God would never want anyone to be harmed, what kind of God would that be??? Then there is of course the issue of covering from head to toe pretty much, well that's what I've heard it described as anyways. I love the reason why Muslim women do this is because their beauty is sacred. A woman's beauty should be saved for her husband alone and of course we know that all women's bodies can be used as a sex weapons as we see daily in ads and on billboards to attract...well men and also to motivate women into buying things and it's all for the wrong reasons. I believe women have the right to be taken seriously for what they think and the ideas they have so covering allows their intellectual beauty, what really counts, to shine through and not just physical beauty to be exploited. It really amazed me when I learnt all of this because I had actually been involved in some activism and stuff for women in Afghanistan who covered themselves in the Burka and I thought it was so repressive and was convinced they must be forced to wear those long dresses and head scarf's by their husbands and fathers. And maybe in some cases they are as through reasearch in the area I learnt that the Burka is actually a cultural thing from Afghanistan but Muslim women have a choice to cover or not as there is no compulsion in religion and no one can force you to do something or believe something. You can only follow what is in your heart. I chose to wear hijab as it is what is in my heart. It is for me and I truly believe in all the Islamic reasons for doing this. I have been following this dress since right before I reverted and it is amazing! I never thought that I could be so confident in myself it has really changed me for the better and let me really be me. Absolutely liberating, that's all I can say. I love not having to worry about what I look like in skimpy little clothes and having guys looking at me and thinking oh she's so hot or ugly or I want to get with that or whatever. Now that is all saved for my husband to look at! :) Who is really the only person that should be looking at me in that way.

So those are pretty much the main reasons that I decided to revert myself so I hope you found it interesting to learn about my decision. I truly feel that I have been a Muslim my whole life and that I just didn't know what to call myself. Alhumduliah I now know that I am MUSLIM!!! :tti_sister:

I think that being Muslim is far from what anyone who knew me when I was younger thought I would go for but I have and I am honestly so happy and life has never been better.

Inshallah you have enjoyed reading about my story.

:wasalam: Wassalam,
Aminah :hijabi:

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
Asalaamu Alaikum - Welcome to the TTI.com community, my love.

InshaAllah you will find the resources available on this website beneficial on your quest deeper into the beauty and truth of Islam, and the brothers and sisters on the forum here tolerant and helpful in answering any questions - you are among family, here. =)

Please feel free and welcome to participate, and make use of the blessings Allah has willed this website to contain. Again welcome to the online international Islamic community. Now you can keep tabs on how much time I'm spending on TTI. ;-p

Asalaamu Alaikum

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Wa alaikumussalaam,

Mashaa'Allaah nice story and it's nice to have you two on the website. :) May Allaah swt keep you in the path of Islaam and may He bless your marriage more AMEEN.

That indeed is very inspiring ! As someone born into a Muslim famliy , I had taken things to be granted - something like a few years back & I've tried to reflect back & I see the wisdom and I'm glad did it sooner than later .
Thanks for sharing your story with us . I feel any person with no prejudices can see clearly that Islam is indeed the right religion .

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum sister
Welcome to the site
Thanks for sharing your beautiful story
Nice to have u here with us :)
hope to hear from your often

waaleikum salam

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum brother Ahmed [Brandon] and sister Aminah,

May Allah strengthen your faith, bless your marriage and reward you immensely in this life and on the Day of Judgment.

Aameen.

And thank you, sister Aminah, for sharing your story.

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Wa alaikumussalaam,

Mashaa'Allaah nice story and it's nice to have you two on the website. :) May Allaah swt keep you in the path of Islaam and may He bless your marriage more AMEEN.

Salam alai kum brother and sister,

I just wanted to say what an amazing story of your conversion to Islam.

Allah surely guides who he wishes Alhamdulilah. I welcome you both and Inshallah may Allah increase your Iman and keep you both on the straight path Inshallah Ameen.

Salam alai kum your brother in Islam.

loveislam1

Asalam ALikoum sister
Mashallah facinating and eloquently written!! I find it mind boggling how CHristians still belive Jesus ali salt wa salam to be GOD when it never even says it in the bible, and when it is so obvious that the bible has been changed, (the council of nicea). Also matthew mark luke and john werent even around when jesus was ali saalm wa sala. Also Jesus said he came to the lsot sheep or lambs of Israel, not to all of mankind and specifically said that the gentiles were not to receive his message (romans). I find it strange they eat pork, yet Jesus ali salat w asalm never ate pork

I am a revert myself, 9 years mashallah. I was just wanting to "fix" one thing you said, you said 1200 years, since the time of Muhammed salalhu alahi wa salam in fact it is 1427 years after the last prophet salalhu alahi wa salam.

I also wanted to ask for the source you are using that Jews were named after the city of whiuch they resided? Jersualem? I heard and I cant site where, they were named after the tribe that the messenger was sent to "judah"? I am asking this TO "FIX" my understanding in case I am wrong.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
Welcome Sister Aminah.

Assalam-o-Alaikum sister Aminah

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story. May Allah strengthen your faith and reward you immensely in this life and on the Day of Judgment and grant you a higher place in Jannah. Ameen.

And brother Ahmed Al'Abraham - My congratulations to you, that it was because of you, your wife reverted to Islam soon after you reverted. May Allah bless your marriage and give you a wonderful and happy life together.

And sister loveislam1 - You are right in both of the things you have mentioned.

yusuf125

Al hamdulillah!!
It is so nice to hear the story of other reverts. You said something that hit home for me :)
[/ and man does it ever feel like home, what can I say?]
This is exactly how I have been feeling and describing to the brothers who ask me about my story.
jazak allah khair for sharing

Nazihah

Be A Stranger
Waalaikumsalam,

MashaAllah...A beautiful story.
Welcome to TTI!

May Allah s.w.t bless your marriage and may He make us among the righteous. Ameen.

Aminah 4 Allah

I beleive in Allah
Assalamu Alaikum Sister,

Thank you for correcting me in relation to the year the Prophet Mohammud (pbuh) was alive and brought the message of Islam and also about the tribe of Judea that was led by Judah. Yes you are right about that being where the name Judaism and Jewish people came from. Actually I am just learning about this in school now and had written my convertion story previously and was not aware of that. Inshallah when I am no longer a juniour member I will be able to edit my posting and make these small changes to ensure accuracy.

Jezakallah and wassalam,
Aminah

Aminah 4 Allah

I beleive in Allah
Assalamu Alaikum to all the Brothers and Sisters who have read and responded to my story. Thank you for reading my story and your congratulations on my reversion to Islam. Inshallah I will be able to be an active member and make lots of postings. I look forward to being a part of the online community here at Turn to Islam.
Wassalam,
Aminah

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
Asalaamu alaikum,

Yes thank you for the warm regards and welcome, my dear respected brothers and sisters... It is beautiful to be virtually here with you all. ;-)

And Aminah, I was just taking 5 minutes from my studies here at college - I'm going back to my reading now, I promise! =D

Asalaamu alaikum

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Assalamu-alaikum

:salam2:

MashaAllah a great story indeed. Belated congratulations on your reversion sister and congrats once again as brother Brandon is a smart man .... he is lucky too :) . May Allah SWT strengthen your imaan and keep you steadfast on his deen.

As for sister loveislam1's uestion regarding the word Jew, I think the following passage might be helpful, inshaAllah.

The Jewish ethnonym in Hebrew is יהודים Yehudim (plural of יהודי Yehudi) which is understood to be the ultimate origin of the English word Jew. The Hebrew name is derived from the region name Judah (Yehudah יהודה). Originally the name referred to the territory alloted to the tribe traditionally descended from Judah the fourth son of the patriarch Jacob. The Genesis 29:35 [1] relates that Judah's mother — the matriarch Leah — named him Yehudah (i.e. "Judah") because she wanted to "praise God" for giving birth to so many sons: "She said, 'This time let me praise (odeh אודה) God (יהוה),' and named the child Judah (Yehudah יהודה)." Thus combining "praise" and "God" into one new name. Thereafter in the Biblical narrative, Judah vouchsafes the Jewish monarchy, and the Israeliteq kings David and Solomon derive their lineage from Judah. After the splitting of the United Monarchy, the name was used for the southern kingdom containing not only the land of the tribe of Judah but also that of Benjamin and Simeon. With the destruction of the northern kingdom of Israel, the kingdom of Judah became the sole Jewish state and the term y'hudi (יהודי) was applied to all Jews.

After Solomon's death the kingdom is divided with Rehoboam succeeding his father Solomon to rule the South, known as the Kingdom of Judah, while General Jeroboam is appointed by the Northern tribes to govern the North, known as Israel.

In 721 BCE, Assyria, the new might in the East, moves down and conquers the Northern Kingdom of Israel, which comprised all the tribes except Judah and Benjamin from the South. Ten tribes are dispersed and absorbed, later to be known as The Ten Lost Tribes. Now only the Southern Kingdom of Judah remains. Its inhabitants were known as 'Judah-ites', living in the land of Judah, named originally for the leader of the tribe of Judah, fourth son of the patriarch Jacob.

loveislam1

Asalam alikoum sister Aminah
Mashallah ! and thank you brother mohsin for the information , that is close to what I had read before. Its hard to keep all this stuff together especially when you get confused between your pre islamic teachings (christian background) and post shahadat teachings subhanallah

zainsmommy

Alhamdulileh! This is great!
As a new Muslim, I love hearing the stories of others and seeing how we all share one(or more) thing in common....we were never able to get passed those "few" (and I say that lightly) things in the Bible that just didn't make sense?! I am sure there are many, many, more Christians out there who question things, but ignore them. (like we did)
Insha'Allah they will find the answers to all there questions in Islam from people like you who are telling others about your reasons for converting.

Congratualtions and thanks again for sharing.
Allah Hafiz

hambaAllah

Warm welcome to the Deen and TTI , Sister Aminah

:bismillah:
:salam2:

:salah: :tti_sister: Alhamdulillah Sister Aminah .Welcome to the deen and may Allah swt keep us all steadfast in our deen :inshallah:
I love reading articles by Bro Brandon/Ahmed and now he got another good wife/partner to contribute to TTI....POWER to TTI :);)

:wasalam::hijabi: