BEAUTIFUL SINNER

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
:bismillah1:

He was the favourite among his companions,
he was created by the Light...
But Allah knew what were in his inner,
the beautiest angel was a beautiful sinner.
His pride forbade him to prostratre himself to Adam.
Iblis his name was,he who tempted his Lord's creature,
he who challenged Allah to keep the humans' souls to the Hell...
But Allah gave us the Islam
and nothing could be as well
as our Lord's Guidance.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:,

jazaak Allah khairan.

but want to point out that iblis is not an angel - he is jinn. also he is made up of fire - not light.

He (Allah) said, "What prevented you from prostrating when I commanded you to?" He (Iblis) replied, "I am better than him. You created me from fire and You created him from clay." (Surat al-A' raf: 12)

was salaam

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
shukran for your words.I read some tafsir about the origin of this creature and talked with some Imams,it was answered that the original name of Iblis before becaming ashaytan arrajim,his name was HARITH,that means NUR(LIGHT).he was made by the pure Light,but when he talked to Allah he made confusion between the word NUR and NAR,so he became Iblis,that means DAMNED

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
shukran for your words.I read some tafsir about the origin of this creature and talked with some Imams,it was answered that the original name of Iblis before becaming ashaytan arrajim,his name was HARITH,that means NUR(LIGHT).he was made by the pure Light,but when he talked to Allah he made confusion between the word NUR and NAR,so he became Iblis,that means DAMNED

:salam2: Can you give reference for what the imaams said??? Because there is clear cut proof from the Qur'aan that iblees is from the jinns. Because Allaah, subhaanah, says: And (remember) when We said to the angels; "Prostrate to Adam." So they prostrated except Iblees (Satan). He was one of the jinns; he disobeyed the Command of his Lord. Will you then take him (Iblees) and his offspring as protectors and helpers rather than Me while they are enemies to you? What an evil is the exchange for the Zalimoon (polytheists, and wrong-doers, etc). [Soorah Kahf:50]

Though there are scholars who give references from the israeliyyat stories, it cannot be accepted in this case, as it opposes the clear texts of the Qur'aan.

Also have a read through this fatwa, and in shaa Allaah, things will be more clearer.

Jazakumullaahu khairan, wa salaamu 'alaykkum.

I was just wondering if Iblis was actually a jinn or an angel. This particular issue recently sparked my curiosity when it was presented to me by a person I know. If he is an angel, then how is it he disobeyed Allah, when Angels have no will of their own and follow only Allah's command. If he is really a jinn, then it would better explain his disobedience as then he actually had the choice to obey or disobey Allah. I would appreciate a response, even if it is a brief one.

Praise be to Allaah.

Ibless – may Allaah curse him – is one of the jinn. He was not an angel for a single day, not even for an instant. The angels were created noble; they never disobey Allaah when He commands them to do something and they do what they are commanded. This is clearly stated in the Qur’aanic texts which indicate that Iblees is one of the jinn and not one of the angels. These texts include the following:

1. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And (remember) when We said to the angels: “Prostrate yourselves unto Adam.” So they prostrated themselves except Iblees (Satan). He was one of the jinn; he disobeyed the Command of his Lord. Will you then take him (Iblees) and his offspring as protectors and helpers rather than Me while they are enemies to you? What an evil is the exchange for the Zaalimoon (polytheists, and wrongdoers, etc).” [al-Kahf 18:50]

2. Allaah stated that He created the jinn from fire, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And the jinn, We created aforetime from the smokeless flame of fire” [al-Hijr 15:27]

“And the jinn He created from a smokeless flame of fire” [al-Rahmaan 55:15]

And it was narrated in a saheeh hadeeth that ‘Aa’ishah said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels were created from light, the jinn were created from smokeless fire and Adam was created from that which has been described to you.” (Narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh, no. 2996; also narrated by Ahmad, no. 24668; by al-Bayhaqi in al-Sunan al-Kubra, no. 18207 and by Ibn Hibbaan, no. 6155).

One of the attributes of the angels is that they were created from light, and the jinn were created from fire. It was mentioned in the Qur’aan that Iblees – may Allaah curse him – was created from fire. This is what Iblees himself said when Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, asked him the reason for his refusal to prostrate to Adam when Allaah commanded him to do so. He – may Allaah curse him – said:

“ ‘I am better than him (Adam), You created me from fire, and him You created from clay’” [al-A’raaf 7:12; Saad 38:76 – interpretation of the meaning]. This indicates that he was one of the jinn.

3. Allaah has described the angels in His Book, where He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Ward off yourselves and your families against a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe, who disobey not, (from executing) the Commands they receive from Allâh, but do that which they are commanded” [al-Tahreem 66:6]

“And they say: ‘The Most Gracious (Allaah) has begotten a son (or children).’ Glory to Him! They [whom they call children of Allaah i.e. the angels, ‘Eesaa (Jesus) son of Maryam (Mary), ‘Uzair (Ezra)], are but honoured slaves. They speak not until He has spoken, and they act on His Command” [al-Anbiyaa’ 21:26-27]

“And to Allaah prostrate all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth, of the moving (living) creatures and the angels, and they are not proud [i.e. they worship their Lord (Allâh) with humility]. They fear their Lord above them, and they do what they are commanded” [al-Nahl 16:49-50]

So it is not possbile for the angels to disobey their Lord, because they are protected from sin and they are naturally inclined to obey Allaah.

4. The fact that Iblees is not one of the angels means that he is not compelled to obey Allaah. He has freedom of will just as we humans do. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning);

“Verily, We showed him the way, whether he be grateful or ungrateful” [al-Insaan 76:3]

There are also Muslims and kaafirs among the jinn. It says in Soorat al-Jinn (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muhammad): ‘It has been revealed to me that a group (from three to ten in number) of jinn listened (to this Qur’aan). They said: ‘Verily, we have heard a wonderful Recitation (this Qur’aan)! It guides to the Right Path, and we have believed therein, and we shall never join (in worship) anything with our Lord (Allaah).’” [al-Jinn 72;1-2]

In the same soorah, it states that the jinn said:

“‘And indeed when we heard the Guidance (this Qur’aan), we believed therein (Islamic Monotheism), and whosoever believes in his Lord shall have no fear, either of a decrease in the reward of his good deeds or an increase in the punishment for his sins. And of us some are Muslims (who have submitted to Allaah, after listening to this Qur’aan), and of us some are Al‑Qaasitoon (disbelievers those who have deviated from the Right Path)’…” [al-Jinn 72:13-14]

Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his Tafseer:

Al-Hasan al-Basri said: Iblees was not one of the angels, not even for a single moment. He is the father of the jinn, just as Adam (peace be upon him) is the father of mankind. This was narrated by al-Tabari with a saheeh isnaad (part 3/89).

Some of the scholars said that Iblees was one of the angels, that he was the peacock of the angels, that he was the one among the angels who strove the hardest in worship… and other reports, most of which come from the Israa’eeliyyaat (stories and reports from Jewish sources), and some of which contradict the clear texts of the Qur’aan.

Ibn Katheer said, explaining this:

A lot of these reports were transmitted from the Salaf, and most of them come from the Israa’eeliyyaat, which may be been transmitted in order to be examined [i.e., as opposed to being accepted as is]. Allaah knows best about the veracity or otherwise of many of them. Some of them are definitely to be rejected, because they go against the truth which we hold in our hands. In the Qur’aan we have sufficient so that we have no need of previous reports, because hardly any of them are free of distortions, with things added or taken away. Many things have been fabricated in them, for they did not have people who had memorized things precisely by heart (huffaaz) who could eliminate the distortions created by extremists and fabricators, unlike this ummah which has its imaams, scholars, masters, pious and righteous people, brilliant critics and men of excellent memory who recorded the hadeeths and classified them, stating whether they were saheeh (sound), hasan (good), da’eef (weak), mawdoo’ (fabricated), matrook (to be ignored). They identified the fabricators and liars, and those about whom nothing was known, and other kinds of men (i.e., narrators). All of this afforded protection to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), the Seal of the Messengers and the Leader of Mankind, so that nothing would be attributed to him falsely and nothing would be transmitted from him that he did not say or do. May Allaah be pleased with them and make them pleased [by rewarding them], and make the Paradise of al-Firdaws their eternal abode. (Tafseer al-Qur’aan il-‘Azeem, 3/90).

And Allaah knows best.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
I have the Italian copy of Quran and it speaks about the creation of Iblis.<Ibn Abbas said that:the first creatures that occupied the Earth were called JANN;they committed corruption and they killed themselves.Then Allah sent against them Iblis with a troop of ANGELS called JINN.Iblis himself<whose name was Al-HARITH>and he who had the duty to protect the Treasure of the Paradise,he beloged to that cathegory of Angels which were called JINN and which were created by the Fire of SAMUN.
The Jann were a cathegory of Jinn,and Al-Harith<that after became Iblis>killed all the Jann that were on the Earth,but after the fight,Al-Harith was blinded by the pride and said to himself:<I made a work that none had made before>.
Allah knew what was in his heart.So He decided to send a vicary on the Earth:the angels were worried about it,cause they feared that Allah might send creatures who made corruption like the Jann made,but Allah wanted to test Al-Harith<Iblis>.So Allah sent Jibril to keep a little of black,red,,white and blue earth from the surface in which nowdays there is the ka'ba.The Earth refused to give to Jibril its part because it was sure that the creature Allah had created might have been among the corruptors.then Allah sent the angel Mikayil.but he too was obliged to come back to Him with nothing.Then Allah sent 'Izrayil,the Angel of the Death:he was the only one who was able to bring to Allah what He ordered.
Allah gave a shape to Adam,who lied for 40 days moveless.At that time Iblis came to Adam and hurt him with kicks,mocking of him,cause the pride of Al-Harith was so big,that he used to swear to the body of Adam,cause it was made of "LAZIB"<a kind of bad smelling mudd but at the same time good to model>.When Allah blowed His Spirit to Adam,he woke up sneezing,then Adam said:<Al Hamdu lillahi Rabbi-l-'Alamin>and Allah answered<ar-rahmuk Allah,oh Adam>.
Then Allah called all the angels who were sent to the Earth with Al-Harith to kill the Jann,and ordered them to prostrate to Adam:everyone but Al-Harith prostrated to him,cause he was proud and refused.He said<I'm better than him,You created me by the Fire,instead You created Adam from the mudd>
Then Allah got angry and let Al-Harith to become as-shaytan ar-rajim and from that moment his name was IBLIS,that means "desperate".

Brother Ahmed Indian,I hope to made the ideas clearer.I took these informations by The Quran published from Piccardo Hamza,I was well informed before writing that poem.I hope you'll understand the translation made on place,cause I have no english dictionary and I arranged everything with my basic knowledges of it.
There 4 ways to understand the Quran:the first one is what we learn,the second one is what our teachers say to us,the third one is what the Imams teach us,and the forth one that only Allah knows.

:salam2:i was trying to check this info that you gave . And i did not find any from good sunni muslim website. Yes i did find it in the sufi naaqshbandi website. So you need to find if your teacher is a sufi teacher. Also i will try and find it from my sheikh

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
I suppose that the majority of Imams know better than us.I studied in Quran and I knew it from a Sunnit Imam:none could tell my any lie,above all because when I learnt these information,I wasn't revert yet,so I was <and I still am> interested as more as possible about Islam,so I took informations from Quran and had the chance to talk with different Imams and scholars,and everyone told me what he knew.maybe you can't find many information on internet,instead try to ask to an expert wise man.I don't know who are Sufi,and I'm sure 100% of what I said,i have the explication between my hands,it's written in the endly part of the Italian copy of Quran translated and published by an Italian reverted man:piccardo Hamza.By the fact that I'm Italian,maybe it resulted easier for me to keep informations in my language,cause all Imams have lots of hadiths,tafsir...but they are written in Arabic language.I don't use to tell wrong informations if I am not sure,and I don't lie about Islam and about what I learnt.but pleas I'm sorry if I may touched the sensibility of some of you with my words.

:salam2: sister hayat please dont be sorry i dont think anyone was offended by what you said and for sure they are not thinking that you are not telling the truth. But cause the matter of jinn is a serious matter thats why other people asked from where you got this and whats the daleel. Sister in arabic Jinn mean singular and jann is the plural. But still i will find more about it and send you the info till then you keep reading maybe you will find something different. peace

:salam2:
Name of Questioner
Ahmad

Title
Was Iblis One of the Angels?

Question
As-Salamu `alaykum! Dear Imams, I’m a constant user of your wonderful site, baraka Allah fikum (may Allah bless you)! The question I have now goes as follows: Was Iblis (Satan) one of the angels or one of the jinn? Jazakum Allah khayran.

Date
25/Aug/2003

Name of Counsellor
Muhammad Saleh Al-Munajjid

Topic
Jinn & Magic, Muslim Belief

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother, we really appreciate the keenness you show in pursuing knowledge about Islam. This is something required of all Muslims, males and females. May Allah help us benefit Muslim Ummah with whatever we gain of knowledge, Ameen! And we really consider it a privilege to have you as a regular visitor to our site.

Tackling your question, we’d like to cite for you the fatwa issued by Sheikh M. S. Al-Munajjid, a prominent Saudi Muslim lecturer and author, in responding to a similar question. It reads:

“Allah says in the following ayah (verse): “He (Iblis) was one of the jinn; he disobeyed the Command of his Lord…” (al-Kahf: 50)

The apparent meaning of this verse is that the reason for his disobedience of his Lord was the fact that he was one of the jinn. The Arabic conjunction ‘fa’ in the Arabic text of the verse “kana min al-jinni fa-fasaqa `an amri rabbihi” is indicative of the reason, as in the Arabic phrase "saha fa sajada" which means, “he forgot (in prayer) so he prostrated”, i.e., that was because he forgot.

Similarly, the phrase “kana min al-jinni fa-fasaqa `an amri rabbihi” (he was one of the jinn [so] he disobeyed…) means that this was because he was in essence one of the jinn, because this feature is what made him different from the angels, for they obeyed the command but he disobeyed.

Because of the apparent meaning of this ayah , a number of scholars were of the opinion that Iblis was not originally one of the angels, rather he was one of the jinn, but he used to worship Allah with them, so he was called by their name because he followed them, just as an ally of a tribe may be given their name. The dispute as to whether Iblis was originally an angel whom Allah changed into a devil, or whether he was not originally an angel but was included in the word mala’ikah (angels) because he had joined them and worshipped Allah with them, is a well known dispute among the scholars. The evidence of those who say that he was not originally one of the angels is based on two things:

1– The fact that angels are protected against committing kufr (disbelief) as was committed by Iblis, as Allah says: “who disobey not, (from executing) the Commands they receive from Allah, but do that which they are commanded.” (at-Tahrim: 6)

“They speak not until He has spoken, and they act on His Command.” (al-Anbiya’: 27)

2– Allah clearly states in the (aforementioned) ayah (al-Kahf :50) that he was one of the jinn, and the jinn are not angels.

Among those who stated that he was not originally one of the angels based on the apparent meaning of this ayah was al-Hasan al-Basri, who was supported by az-Zamakhshari in his Tafsir (exegesis).

Al-Qurtubi said in his commentary on surat al-Baqarah: “The idea that he was one of the angels is the view of the majority, Ibn `Abbas, Ibn Mas`ud, Ibn Jurayj, Ibn al-Musayyib, Qatadah and others. It is the view chosen by asf-Shaykh Abu al-Hasan and regarded as more correct by at-Tabari, and it is the apparent meaning of the phrase “except Iblis” (al-Kahf: 50).

What the Qur’anic exegetes have quoted from a group of the Salaf (early righteous Muslims) such as Ibn `Abbas and others, that he was one of the noblest of the angels, one of the keepers of Paradise, and that he controlled the affairs of the first heaven, and that his name was ‘Azaazeel (Azazel), is all taken from the Isra’iliyyat (reports narrated from Jewish sources) and is not reliable.

The most clear evidence concerning this matter is the one cited by those who said that he was not an angel because of the ayah “He (Iblis) was one of the jinn; he disobeyed the Command of his Lord…” (al-Kahf: 50)”

Satan is a Jinn {another kind, which also has free-will, like humans}. Jinn are made out of smokeless fire, man from clay/water and angels from light.

Angels have no free will, they cannot disobey God's commands, think of them like robots, but Humans and Jinn can choose to disobey as they have free-will. Christians believe Satan is a 'fallen angel', muslims don't.

======================================…
Incidence of Iblis and Angels mentioned in the Quran

The story of Adam and Iblis is mentioned in the Quran in various places in which Allah (swt) says, “We said to the angels bow down to Adam: and they bowed down: not so Iblis”.

This is mentioned in:
Surah Al Baqarah Chapter 2 verse 43
Surah Al ‘Araf Chapter 7 verse 17
Surah Al Hijr Chapter 15 verses 28-31
Surah Al Isra Chapter 17 verse 61
Surah Ta Ha Chapter 20 verse 116
Surah Sad Chapter 38 verses 71-74

But in Surah Al Kahf chapter 18 verse 50 the Quran says:

“Behold! We said to the angels, “Bow down to Adam.” they bowed down except Iblis He was one of the Jinns.” [Al-Quran 18:50]

Christians claim this is a contradiction, since it states he [satan/iblis are synonymous terms, iblis is 'satan' in arabic as is 'shaytan', which sounds similar to the english/biblical 'satan'] was amongst the angels thus an angel, and it then goes onto say in the same line/verse that he [satan] was a Jinn; Unfortunetly for our eager Christian friends who are looking for mistakes, but fail miserably, this is not a contradiction, but is following the arabic rule of Tagleeb, which is detailed below, since Allah is all knowing, he knows the customs, culture, language and everything about the nation He reveals a revelation to.

For the sake of argument, the Christians/non-believers claim the Holy Qur'an was written by a man, Muhammad [pbuh], what grievous words they utter.
But lets just say for the sake of argument that it was written by man, no man would contradict himself on the same line/verse, he will most probably do so else where in the [long] book he writes, saying one thing here, forgetting what he said, and then saying something else somewhere else in that man-made book, this is rife in the Bible, proving it is the word of man.

Allah says in the Holy Qur'an that if this (Quran) were from other than Allah, you would find within it many contradictions.:

"Do they not consider the Qur'an (with care)? Had it been from other than Allah [God], they would surely have found therein much discrepancy"
Holy Qur'an - Translation by Yusuf Ali, 4:82

2. Arabic Rule Of Tagleeb

The English translation of the first part of the verse ‘We said to the angels bow down to Adam: they bowed down except Iblis’, gives us the impression that Iblis was an angel. The Quran was revealed in Arabic.

In Arabic grammar there is a rule known as Tagleeb, according to which, if the majority is addressed, even the minority is included. If for example, I address a class containing 100 students of whom 99 are boys and one is a girl, and if I say in Arabic that the boys should stand up, it includes the girl as well. I need not mention her seperately.

Similarly in the Quran, when Allah addressed the angels, even Iblis was present, but it is not required that he be mentioned separately.
Its like when someone jokes and says 'Ladies & Gentlemen...and John {or whatever name here}, and everyone laughs, its rude/funny {it can also make that individual feel isolated, feel like the odd one out, and unimportant/not one of them/bitter}, and God is not rude or makes fun out of his slaves, he is the best of protectors, and the best master one could have.

Therefore according to that sentence Iblis may be an angel or may not be an angel, but we come to know from Surah Al Kahf chapter 18 verse 50 that Iblis was a Jinn. No where does the Quran say Iblis was an angel. Therefore there is no contradiction in the Quran.
3. Jinns have free will and can disobey Allah

Secondly, Jinns have a free will and may or may not obey Allah, but angels have no free will and always obey Allah. Therefore the question of an angel disobeying Allah does not arise. This further supplements that Iblis was a Jinn and not an angel.

A Bit Off Topic, yet Relevant

Each and every language has its own rules/style, for instance in Hebrew and Arabic there is no such thing as a capital letter in the Hebrew/Arabic {daughter languages} written alphabet, and in arabic there are 30 letters, not 26 as is with english. In addition, arabic is the most eliquent language in the world, this means that a word in arabic has several meanings, like word 'Mujrimun' {phonetically spelt in english} means criminals, polytheists, sinners, ect. all in one word, this makes the Qur'an very poetic, beautiful, and with a big impact on the reader. Unfortunetly, this beautiful poetry does not come over in english translation, but the meaning can be understood, in fact 80% of muslims do not understand arabic, me included, I read the english translation by Muhammad Asad {an ex-Jew/Father was a rabbi}.

This elequence also can cause problems, mistakes in translations, understanding, and allow the non-muslims to claim 'contradictions' when they know nothing about the arabic toungue, or its eliquence, and complexity.

What was a Jinn doing in Heaven?

It is said iblis {satan} was a righteous Jinn, who prayed devoutly to God {Allah}, and prasied Him and worshipped Him more/equally as the angels did.
So iblis was raised in rank to heaven, and chilled out there with the angels, since he was so pure, righteous and good.

Until he disobeyed Allah's command to prostrate before Adam, in addition to being arrogant, for these two reasons, if not either one alone, he was banished from heaven.

Which emphasis the free-will of Jinn and man, and how Evil is the disobedience of Allah. Good and Evil are not necessarily opposites, like hot and cold, something that is cold is just devoid or has litle heat energy, something that is hot has a lot of that thermal {heat} energy. Similarly, Good is following the commands of Allah {God} and submitting your will to Him, and Evil is rejecting faith and denying God, thus being ungrateful for the blessings he has bestowed on us all.

Hope this helps.
RE: Angels made of Light

Your absolutely right, no where, to my knowledge is it mentioned in the Holy Qur'an what the Angels are made out of. In fact as you stated, it is mentioned in a hadith, that is considered authentic by the scholars of islam, both past and present.
In addition, no where in my answer did I claim that this [angels being made of light] is mentioned in the Holy Qur'an.

The belief in Angels is one of the Six Pillars of Belief, it is a generally subscribed belief that:-

The Angels are made of light, neither male nor female. They do not disobey God and do not require sustenance.

The Holy Qur'an & Hadiths

The Qur'an is indeed the 'first source of information', it is the very core or the heart of Islam. The hadiths complement the Holy Qur'an, authentic hadiths do not contradict the Qur'an, the one's that do are not considered authentic.

Additional information is provided in the Hadiths on how to perform ablution correctly, which is not mentioned in as much detail in the Holy Qur'an, further, prophecies of the prophet are stated in the hadiths, how to perform Hajj correctly, prophetic medicine, as well as information detailing the signs of the Hour[Judgement Day nearing], the dajjal/antichrist, and what verses of the Qur'an should be recited if you are unfortunate enough to be confronted by the antichrist/Dajjal[deceiver], {Surah Al-Kahf verses 1-10 will protect you}.

As I said the hadiths complement the Holy Qur'an and can provide additional miscellaneous information, but the very core to living a righteous life, and submitting your will to Allah {God} is mentioned in the Glorious Qur'an.

Angels, Jinn & Judgement Day

We know a fair bit about the angels {even some of their names, their ranks/duties} and the Jinn {they can shapeshift, and move very fast}, but Allah will not question us on Judgement Day about our knowledge of angels, what they are made out of, or about the Jinn. I assure you Allah will not question you on this.

Learn more about the angels and their duties here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vIWRLCcR…

So what will you be Questioned on?

You will stand before Allah with all your actions, deeds and works set out before you; It is your good/bad deeds that will either give you eternal life, or condemn you to Hell, if your good deeds outweigh your bad deeds on the scale on Judgement day you are successful, and will enter gardens through which running waters flow, therein in abide beyond the count of time.
Unlike other religions, Islam does not guarantee a 'Get out of Hell Free card', by putting your 'sins' on Jesus's tab, because you [falsely] believe 'he died for your sins', all we can say is due the minimum {5 pillars of Islam}, do good deeds and you should be successful.

Source(s):
Quranic vs Biblical account of the Angels

This is in stark contrast to the Biblical account of angels, which portrays them as beautiful naked/semi-naked females, with 36D bust, large hips ect. As the statues in the Vatican Church, and in the paintings attest to. Further, the angels also eat food and drink in the Biblical account, as does Almighty God himself [according to the Bible, refuted by a verse in the Holy Qur'an called Al-Kursi], thus need sustenance/food, which is refuted several times in the Holy Qur'an, eating is an animal act, and the angels and God are not animals, but reside in the unseen spiritual realm, not the physical realm {our realm}:

"Man ate the bread of angels. He sent them food to the full." Bible - Psalm 78:25

At the Rays of Faith seminar, Sheikh Waleed Basyouni taught us about the origins of Iblis. Scholars disagree on his status prior to his damnation, some holding the opinion that he was an angel, while the majority believe that he is a jinn. The master of fitnah, a cause of controversy? Could we expect anything else?

Before we talk abut the opposing views amongst the Islamic scholars, let’s take a look at what others have said about Iblis. The pagan Arabs believed that the shaytan was the evil brother of God. We know that this can’t possibly hold any truth, as Allah (SWT) is One. The Christians commonly believe that Iblis, or Lucifer was an angel who rebelled against God. They believe that he and his followers launched a war in the heavens. Lucifer’s loss resulted in his expulsion from heaven and he as well as his followers were demons or “fallen angels.”.

One thing that both parties agree on is that Iblis was a very devout believer in Allah prior to his descent. So devout, that he was present at the monumental event when Allah (SWT) breathed life into His creation: Adam.

“And recall when We when we said to the Angels, “Prostrate yourselves before Adam”; all of them fell prostrate, except Iblis. He was of the Jinn and so disobeyed the command of his Lord.

-(Surat Al-Kahf) 18:50

This iyat is where the controversy begins. Some scholars believe that this is proof that Iblis was an angel, why else would he be grouped among them? Imam Al-Shafi said that the quote

“he was of the Jinn” means that Iblis was an angel belonging to a tribe called “jinn.”

Others (Sheikh Waleed among them) believe that this same iyat proves that Iblis was a jinn and not an angel. Firstly, because the iyat directly identifies Iblis as a jinn. The second proof is in the fact that he disobeyed Allah’s decree, something angels aren’t able to do since they have no free will. As a jinn, Iblis had the free will to disobey.

The question remains then why Allah (SWT) would group Iblis among the angels in this iyat. Ibn Taymiyya said that Iblis was an angel in the sense that he was given the shape of an angel in the form of a reward for his piousness. He was a very righteous jinn, and so, while he was with the angels, he wasn’t from them.

The other point lies in Shaytan’s arrogant protest to prostrating. Surah Sad shows us this scene in more detail:

The Lord said:

“O Iblis, what prevented you from prostrating yourself before him whom I created of My Two Hands. Are you waxing proud, or fancy yourself to be too exalted?” He replied: “I am nobler than he. You created me from fire and created him from clay.[38:75-76]

In this iyat, Shaytan clearly states that he is made from fire, not light which is what the angels are made from. We know that jinn are made from fire because Surah Al Rahman says:

He [Allah (SWT)] has created man from dry, rotten clay like the potter’s, and has created the jinn from the flame of fire. -[55:14-15]

Ibn Taymiyah said that Iblis is the father of all jinn, citing Surat-Al Kahf as proof of this.

…Will you, then, take him and his progeny as your guardians rather than Me although they are your open enemies? What an evil substitute are these wrong-doers taking!-(Surat Al-Kahf) 18:50

Ibn Taymiyah believed that the term “progeny” implied that the jinn are Shaytan’s children.

While we have been offered very strong evidence that Iblis is a jinn (and Allah knows best), the point here is not to cause divisions amongst ourselves arguing over Shaytan (of all things.) The point is to draw a lesson from what became of Iblis.

No matter how devout we think we are, no matter how favorable we delude ourselves into thinking we are in Allah’s eyes, we must remain ever vigilant of our complete submission to Allah. We must not let arrogance lead us astray, as Iblis has shown us that a single act of arrogance can bring us far, far from Allah. And whomsoever Allah leads astray, none but Allah can guide.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
I suppose that the majority of Imams know better than us.I studied in Quran and I knew it from a Sunnit Imam:none could tell my any lie,above all because when I learnt these information,I wasn't revert yet,so I was <and I still am> interested as more as possible about Islam,so I took informations from Quran and had the chance to talk with different Imams and scholars,and everyone told me what he knew.maybe you can't find many information on internet,instead try to ask to an expert wise man.I don't know who are Sufi,and I'm sure 100% of what I said,i have the explication between my hands,it's written in the endly part of the Italian copy of Quran translated and published by an Italian reverted man:piccardo Hamza.By the fact that I'm Italian,maybe it resulted easier for me to keep informations in my language,cause all Imams have lots of hadiths,tafsir...but they are written in Arabic language.I don't use to tell wrong informations if I am not sure,and I don't lie about Islam and about what I learnt.but pleas I'm sorry if I may touched the sensibility of some of you with my words.

:salam2:,

we are not telling that you or your imam are false. it only could be that maybe your imam have some knowledge which is not authentic.

sorry for any offense.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger

In Ibn Kathir's Qisas Al-Anbiya, it's stated that Shaytan's original name was Azazil and that he was known as Iblis after his refusal to prostrate to Sayyidnah Adam a.s. As for Harith, I've heard that was one of his names but not the main name.