Bigot UK Mayor

Sauda17

Robert Bennett, has drawn rebuke from Muslim community leaders over a series of disparaging remarks about the sizable minority.

Robert Bennett, the Conservative mayor of Mirfield, West Yorkshire, has drawn rebuke from Muslim community leaders over a series of disparaging remarks about the sizable minority, The Observer reported on Sunday, January 13.

"We are absolutely horrified and astounded by the statements made about Muslims," said Munir Ahmed, the president of the Huddersfield-based Ahmidiyya Muslim Association (AMA).

"We feel Muslims are yet again being tarnished with the same brush when the majority of British Muslims are law-abiding citizens."

The Tory mayor has made a series of disparaging remarks about Muslims in email to the clerk of Mirfield Town Council, which has been leaked anonymously.

"I am aware Islamic organizations are keen to promote a view that they are peaceful, forward-thinking individuals who wish to integrate into the British way of life," he wrote.

"The policy of clothing the feminine population of Dewsbury in black sack-like clothing from head to toe, the occasional trip out to cause mayhem with explosives and the proposal that all those of homosexual persuasion should be killed by shooting or other means is adequate and practical testimony to the level of progress being made in this direction."

The umbrella Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) condemned the remarks as "bigoted and unacceptable, considering his status as a public servant."

The Muslim Association of Britain (MAB), another leading Muslim organization, said the remarks were "very narrow-minded".

Future At stake
The Muslim community leaders pressed for the resignation of the mayor.

MAB said Bet "should resign or be removed."

The AMA, which had been active in Huddersfield since the 19602 to help disadvantaged Muslims integrate and get back into work, echoed the same call.

"He should resign," said Ahmed, its leader.

"His position is completely untenable as mayor of Mirfield town council. It's a civic position, a position of respect. He is making a general statement about Muslims that is appalling."

Bet has shown no inclination to resign.

"I apologize for any remarks I have made which may have caused offence," he said in a statement.

"I sincerely hope my comments will not undermine the important job of work that has to be done in building greater community cohesion throughout West Yorkshire."

Bet's remarks had drawn rebuke from fellow politicians and Conservatives.

Robert Light, the Kirklees Council leader and a fellow Conservative, said the comments were unfortunate, factually incorrect and not the views of the party.

Fellow town councilor Martyn Bolt had been shocked and stunned by Bet's remarks.

"We want Mirfield to be seen as a tolerant society. We want to welcome everybody," he stressed.

"The town council will have to consider this at its next full meeting when Bob will be able to make a statement and answer questions in the proper manner."