Aliah Haji
June 6, 2007
Ap History

Book Review
Title: The Autobiography of Malcolm X
Author: Alex Haley
Type: Classic

Brief Summery:
The Autobiography of Malcolm X is an incredible true story of an African-American man’s rise from street hustler, drug dealer, and thief to one of the most self-motivated and influential African-American leaders in modern America. He was the son of a Baptist minister and hard working women named Louise. Malcolm faces a lot of challenges through out his youngster life and made some tough choices that served him well later on in life. Throughout his journey of finding faith and peace he ends up converting to an Organization that was called the Nation of Islam. He becomes realistic and active member of the Nation of Islam. He even turns out to be the spokesperson for Elijah Muhammad who was the creator of Nation of Islam. But that didn’t last when he decided to perform pilgrimage to Mecca. He learns that Islam wasn’t really the faith he quietly imagined thus chooses to adapt Islam and this inspired him to create an organization for all blacks regardless of their religion. This life changing decisions earn Malcolm more enemies then before including the Nation of Islam followers who threatened to take his life for leaving their organization. Despite this troublesome, Malcolm continued his battles for liberty and Justice for all. He had goals and dreams similar to Dr. Martin Luther Kings and the other civil Right movement Leaders that was Equal rights for all people despite there differences. The autobiography of Malcolm X regards a typical
Journey from ignorance and despair to knowledge and spiritual awakening.

My View:
Malcolm X was one of the most remarkably intelligent and fascinating African-American leaders who reflected the problems of the society around him, changed throughout his life, and gradually evolved from ignorance to anger to enlightenment. I would recommend the story of Malcolm X to be read by anyone who is interested in politics, religion and the improvement of society. Because after reading this book I come to believe that Change is possible and there’s nothing impossible in this life as long as you put your mind towards it. I think this book is great for our youth, who now days think drinking and dealing drugs are the best way to enjoy life; Malcolm story will give them a new perspective of life. People don't realize how a man's whole life can be changed by one book until they read the Autobiography of Malcolm X.