Calling a down-and-out alcoholic to Islam...?

revert_north

NEW MUSLIMA
Salaam alekoum brothers and sisters,

I have a problem that I need some guidance with. It is not really in the form of a question, because it's a pretty complex situation, so any help/comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Basically, my neighbour of 3 years (who is male and middle-aged) is a severe alcoholic. By his own admission, he simply 'lives' for alcohol, and he has gotten himself into a number of troubles because of it, such as not being able to keep a job, as he is always drunk.

I am not exaggerating, he drinks all day, every day, and in these 3 years, I have not seen him in any other state than severely intoxicated.

The thing is, he comes up and talks to me a lot of the time, and whilst I am always nice and polite, I'm incredibly uncomfortable being around him sometimes (note that completely avoiding him is not really an option, he lives like 2 metres away from me!)

I'm not uncomfortable because I'm a Muslim sister and he's a non-Muslim male...I'm uncomfortable because I don't know how to address him and make polite conversation with him anymore. He is my neighbour, I'm supposed to respect him and be kind to him as and when needed, but I unfortunately feel that my kindness is futile (astaghfirallah).

He knows that I am Muslim, and he respects that, when he is coherent enough! He's a pretty open-minded guy, and I *heard* that he's very loosely involved with his Catholic Chruch (i.e. he gives the occasional confession, attends the occasional mass, etc).

I would like more than anything to call him to Islam, I truly believe it would do him the WORLD of good, even if the only benefit is him ditching the alcohol, but I don't know how to do it.

Although I know he would listen (and he HAS listened in the past) to my thoughts and persuasions about the benefits of Islam, it seems so useless talking to him about it when he is drunk! Sometimes he doesn't even remember my name (for some reason he calls me 'Claire', which doesn't even SOUND like my name!), so it's obviously quite unlikely that anything I say is 'hitting home' in his drunken mind.

I pray and pray for him, I am really worried about him.

What should I do to call him to Islam (or AT LEAST try to get him to drastically reduce, or quit, his alcohol intake)?

I have thought many times of giving him an English copy of the Qur'an to peruse, BUT a) I fear that he wouldn't give the good book the respect it deserves in his drunken state, i.e. he may misplace it, tarnish the pages, or whatever, and b) I'm not even sure that this is the correct way to call somebody - drunken or not - to Islam??

The situation has gotten so bad that today I saw him at the shop, and I purposefully took a different route home to avoid bumping into him :( (astaghfirallah for my ignorance to him).

Of all the people I have ever met, I don't think there's anybody I've known who NEEDS Islam more than him, and it would set my mind at ease to see him embrace the deen. It would be unfortunate if I am NOT able to call him, but to at least see him SOBER and living a 'normal' life would be a blessing.

(PS: He has no family, and seems to have no friends, who I could find out more from)

Globalpeace

Banned
Its hard!

Asslamo Allaikum Sister,

My 2 pennies worth!

Problem is unfortunately not unique. I rented & lived with a Muslim family in California during my uni days; where the brother had some problems & I had to constantly beg the sister to keep letting him in...

I tried for year & a half; finally she threw him out...He was on his own so I forced have to take re-hab & it finally worked...

He used to come home drunk every night around 03:30 & start calling the Adhan loudly (It was funny & ridicuolous at the same night)....

In Midlands we have Brothers who have taken the Shahada & then they disappear into the ether to wander back into the Masjid every now & then (Eid & Ramadhan); we still treat them as Muslims (not a lot we can do!)...I speak to one of them about cars & stuff;

I am working on another to try to give him a job at the Mosque as a cleaner so we can keep an eye on him...

Unfortunately Mosques in UK are not equipped to deal with these issues and anyone with an addiction needs help as I know from experience (Dawah work & Ex-Medic!)

You can give him the English ONLY Translation of the Qur'aan; available for a quid...I keep a box of them at home & I have forced the "Pakees" at the Masjid to keep them as well!

A girl came to the Mosque a few weeks ago (STONED!) & I was called in to speak to her...I spoke to her for about an hour (fully realising that she was STONED!) and found that the Committe had NO English Qur'aans (Just Urdu)...So I went ballastic & gave them serious lip...

She was upset about being dumped by her boy-friend so I just spoke to her about relationships (mostly) with bits of stuff about Islam, fed her Biryani...And then gave her my mobile & address because she wasn't ready to give us her details...Also told her to give me a ring if she needs anything

In your area, Mosques are even less organised then Midlands...But I will try to get some contact details for help & send.

I have a problem that I need some guidance with. It is not really in the form of a question, because it's a pretty complex situation, so any help/comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Basically, my neighbour of 3 years (who is male and middle-aged) is a severe alcoholic. By his own admission, he simply 'lives' for alcohol, and he has gotten himself into a number of troubles because of it, such as not being able to keep a job, as he is always drunk.

I am not exaggerating, he drinks all day, every day, and in these 3 years, I have not seen him in any other state than severely intoxicated.

The thing is, he comes up and talks to me a lot of the time, and whilst I am always nice and polite, I'm incredibly uncomfortable being around him sometimes (note that completely avoiding him is not really an option, he lives like 2 metres away from me!)

I'm not uncomfortable because I'm a Muslim sister and he's a non-Muslim male...I'm uncomfortable because I don't know how to address him and make polite conversation with him anymore. He is my neighbour, I'm supposed to respect him and be kind to him as and when needed, but I unfortunately feel that my kindness is futile (astaghfirallah).

He knows that I am Muslim, and he respects that, when he is coherent enough! He's a pretty open-minded guy, and I *heard* that he's very loosely involved with his Catholic Chruch (i.e. he gives the occasional confession, attends the occasional mass, etc).

I would like more than anything to call him to Islam, I truly believe it would do him the WORLD of good, even if the only benefit is him ditching the alcohol, but I don't know how to do it.

Although I know he would listen (and he HAS listened in the past) to my thoughts and persuasions about the benefits of Islam, it seems so useless talking to him about it when he is drunk! Sometimes he doesn't even remember my name (for some reason he calls me 'Claire', which doesn't even SOUND like my name!), so it's obviously quite unlikely that anything I say is 'hitting home' in his drunken mind.

What should I do to call him to Islam (or AT LEAST try to get him to drastically reduce, or quit, his alcohol intake)?

I have thought many times of giving him an English copy of the Qur'an to peruse, BUT a) I fear that he wouldn't give the good book the respect it deserves in his drunken state, i.e. he may misplace it, tarnish the pages, or whatever, and b) I'm not even sure that this is the correct way to call somebody - drunken or not - to Islam??

The situation has gotten so bad that today I saw him at the shop, and I purposefully took a different route home to avoid bumping into him :( (astaghfirallah for my ignorance to him).

Of all the people I have ever met, I don't think there's anybody I've known who NEEDS Islam more than him, and it would set my mind at ease to see him embrace the deen. It would be unfortunate if I am NOT able to call him, but to at least see him SOBER and living a 'normal' life would be a blessing.

(PS: He has no family, and seems to have no friends, who I could find out more from)

NaXuS

:salam2: Sister u have already called him for Islam.Even if u do nothing the Islam inside u is working all the time.Its spreads its blessings.n who ever come near u will feel it.

Ones who like blessings will become curious n their curiousity may lead them to their true God.But intention is the main key.If ur neibour has good intentions then Allah will lead him to guidance regardless of where ever they live.

It does not matter whther u r in east or in west.Satan n AllAH does not need travel documents but it require intentions.If ur intention r good then u will find Allah but if ur intention r evil then u will find Satan.

Pray for him but dont forget that Allah has ordained patience after prayers.So be patience with ur pray.Allah is enough.He will find a way out but always have good intentions.

Unless he repents, believes, and works righteous deeds, for Allah will change the evil of such persons into good, and Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful,

And whoever repents and does good has truly turned to Allah with an (acceptable) conversion;- Surat Al-Furqan 70-71
may Allah give him guidance.lol the way i see it,i see a Muslim hidden in a bottle of wine.

We may never knew the intentions of another but Allah is knower of all intentions n who knows that its ur prayers which will bring him guidence or may be the guidance had already arrived for him who knows.

oah i know Allah knows the best.

virtualeye

Tamed Brother

The situation has gotten so bad that today I saw him at the shop, and I purposefully took a different route home to avoid bumping into him (astaghfirallah for my ignorance to him).

WaAlaikumusaalma,

Sister, the above text tells that you are over concerned about that person and feeling guilt.

Your duty is just to convey the Message occassionally and not to feel so guilty. A Muslim neighbour has a great right on you but in this case where neighbour is not only a nonbeliever but is worst kind of drinker. Then it is better you keep yourself at some limit while you keep on conveying about the ideology of Islam.

Second idea is that, if he feels really friendly to you then you better have some kind of promise from him that he will not drink for 1 or 2 days. If he follows then InshaAllah he will be able to read and understand about Quran or if possible he can see the video lectures of Islamic scholars if you can refer.

Like you said, it was difficult for you to understand the all meanings of translation in English. So it is very much preferable to first watch some convincing video of what is Islam about and its basics, then a person can study the Translation of Quran also. If a simple English translation of Quran is available then that is perferable.

The poetic kind of translations i.e. Shakspere kind of English is only for Muslims mostly while common nonmuslims would only understand layman's simple English but written in a good manner.

Wassalaam,
VE