Can a muslim

ohhockleng

Assalamualaikum brothers and sisters, Can a muslim touch a dog. I've always wanted to ask these question here, I've always ask the muslims here, they never gave me convincing answers, the answer is dogs are dirty, I said so are cat. Please advice.

ohhockleng

Yeap I've tried the search option unfortunately it never gave me what I wanted, thanks for showing me the link.

al-muslimah

its ok to touch a dog..but you have to wash your hands seven times after that (as its najasa)..sorry dont have any sources but thats what i know

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
Praise be to Allaah.

Touching dogs or their saliva does not nullify wudoo’ because if tahaarah is done according to the rules of sharee’ah, nothing can nullify it except things for which there is evidence in sharee’ah. There is no such evidence that touching dogs or their saliva have this effect. It was not mentioned by the scholars among the things that nullify wudoo’.

Ibn Qudaamah mentioned in al-Mughni (1/264) things that nullify wudoo’, and he did not mention touching dogs or their saliva. Then he said: “These are all the things that nullify tahaarah, and it cannot be nullified by anything else according to the view of the majority of scholars…”

But there is no doubt that dogs’ saliva is very dirty and extremely naajis (impure), and it can only be removed by washing seven times, one of them with earth. There is a difference between this and something which nullifies tahaarah. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

OsMaN_93

Here to help
the tonque of a dog is najis.
so i tend to touch its head at the top, because obviously its tongue can't reach their so it tends not to be najis. :lol: still i do have to wash 7x just in-case:D

but yh its prefered not to because it licks its fur etc..
hope that was beneficial.