Can bad deeds cancel out good deeds ?

Islam!!yay

:salam2:

I was wondering what if one commits something bad , Does Allah SWT cancel out some of his good deeds ?

Can anyone help me understand this
In Saheeh al-Bukhaari it is narrated that ‘Umar asked the people about it and they said: Allaah knows best. Ibn ‘Abbaas said: The verse gives a likeness of deeds. ‘Umar said: What deeds? Ibn ‘Abbaas said: Deeds. ‘Umar said: A rich man may strive in obedience of Allaah, then Allaah sends the shaytaan to him and he commits sins until they drown out his good deeds.

Now of course I acknowledge Allah SWT is the most Wise but I just want to understand why Allah SWT would send shaytan to someone who strives in obedience to Allah SWT to drown his deeds ? or is this just something like a figure of speech ?

Thank You Brothers and Sisters

ximkoyra

Here's what I found:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

One of the basic principles among Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah is that good deeds are not accepted if they are accompanied by kufr, and that nothing cancels out all good deeds except kufr.

This is indicated by the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: Spend (in Allaah’s Cause) willingly or unwillingly, it will not be accepted from you. Verily, you are ever a people who are Faasiqoon (rebellious, disobedient to Allaah).”

54. And nothing prevents their contributions from being accepted from them except that they disbelieved in Allaah and in His Messenger (Muhammad), and that they came not to As-Salaah (the prayer) except in a lazy state, and that they offer not contributions but unwillingly”

[al-Tawbah 9:53-54]

Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Nothing cancels out good deeds except kufr, because the one who dies as a believer will inevitably enter Paradise, and he will be brought out of Hell if he does enter it, but if all his good deeds are cancelled out, he will never enter Paradise. Good deeds can only be cancelled out by that which is their opposite, and nothing can be the opposite of all good deeds except kufr. This is well known from the principles of Sunnah. End quote. Al-Saarim al-Maslool (p. 55)

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/81874

There's a lot more in the link.