Can nikaah be done while undergoing annulment?

mustafa_bepari

Salam Alaikom,

I need some clarification about nikaah in the light of islamic sharia law.

The scenario goes like... I'm a muslim, and the woman I'm willing to marry is a christian. She's been married before and is separated from her husband for more than a year, and is undergoing annulment at the moment. (If you don't know what annulment is click here). I was wondering if I can have my nikaah done with her in this state? She is willing to revert to islam as well (By her own).
Would this nikaah be acceptable by islamic sharia law?

Thank you and jazakom Allah khair.

Last edited:

muhammad sabri

Walaykum assalam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu
Ask an imam in a local mosque :) 'tho in Islam you can't marry a married woman and if she's still considered legally married then the
answer is no. But again you should go ask an imam for better clarification and may Allah(glory be to Him) help you and easen the path to you and all believers inch'Allah

mustafa_bepari

Walaykum assalam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu
Ask an imam in a local mosque :) 'tho in Islam you can't marry a married woman and if she's still considered legally married then the
answer is no. But again you should go ask an imam for better clarification and may Allah(glory be to Him) help you and easen the path to you and all believers inch'Allah

But to my knowledge... If I'm not wrong, if she reverts to Islam, her first marriage becomes void, and she shall complete the duration of iddah to be able to remarry.

Last edited:

muhammad sabri

Yeah but that's religiously speaking and that is ok but you can't really ignore that society's legal part, listen to me go to an Imam and ask him tho i'm pretty sure that a good and knowledgable imam will not tell you anything beside '' let her divorce then marry her''

Precious Star

This sounds quite complicated. Her marriage might be void, from her perspective, but what if her husband takes the position that the marriage remains legal?
Also, if she converts, the Roman Catholic Church may not annul her marriage as she will no longer be a catholic.

How did your patents find this woman? Or are you having an illicit relationship?

Seriously, there are a lot of nice single Muslim women out there -- why can't you ask your parents to arrange your marriage with one of them? Why are you carrying on with a married woman?

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
I agree with sister Precious, there are too many single Muslim good women out there that need Muslim husbands, brothers please seek them before ever even considering a non Muslim woman for marriage. It's always better to look for someone who will help you in your religion and remind you of Allah in weak moments...how is someone who does not know anything about Islam or someone who is not even Muslim going to do that? They cannot. May Allah guide us all. Amin.