Change of name

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
Asalaamu'alekum to all,

As you may know I recently became a Muslim Alhamdulillah. I have decided to unoffically change my name, as Patrick means noble and I felt it wasn't suitable to Allah. So to go along with this change in lifestyle I have taken up the name Yusuf, and soon enough I will change my username on here inshAllah. Just letting you all know!

Peace and blessings to all :)

warda A

Sister
:salam2: Yusuf

Nice choice the name Yusuf.
:ma:
:ma:

The prophet Yusuf was the most beautiful prophet, have you read his story?
:wasalam:

massi

:salam2:
change a name is not obligation but if you do I suggest Abdel Arahmen ...:SMILY139:

Musulmanin

assalam alleikum brother Yusuf

May Allah Most-Giving make your iman (faith) strong as that of Prophet Yusuf

(Joseph) (blessing of Allah be upon him).

:wasalam:

Inquirer

Assalamu alaikum dear brother.

May I please draw your attention to something:

http://www.names4muslims.com/meanings.php?list=100&meaning=noble

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the name 'Patrick', it is not haram.

We are instructed to honour our parents, even if they have injured us. To change your name without due cause, would indeed be a dishonour, which is hardly noble.

I am a great believer that there is a clue to destiny in the meaning of our names. Strive then, to be noble.

Can I ask why you think that a Muslim cannot be, nor strive to be 'noble'?

What is it that you feel is wrong to, 'possess high ideals or excellent moral character.'? What is wrong with being, 'impressive in quality'? A Muslim ought to have these qualities. Islam can provide you with the means to fulfil the destiny implied in the meaning of your name.

Was our Prophet, peace be upon him, not noble? Are we not to strive to emulate the example of Muhammad, peace upon him, in our daily lives?

Brother, there is no shame in nobility. 'Nobility', does not necessarily imply a conceited aristocracy or lordship, although the word may sometimes be perverted to describe such. It is the duty of a Muslim to be noble, and a state of nobility is demonstrated via Islam, if the path stays straight and the striving is hard enough.

Be proud of your name brother, and seek to attain the destiny implied therein, via Islam.

Peter (the rock).

louly_sweet

Sub Han Allah
Salamo Alikom dear Muslim brother YUSUF, :SMILY105:

CoNGrAtULaTiOnZZZ, Yusuf is such a beautiful name, Mashaa Allah.
May this name of Prophet Yusuf, guide you always to walk into his footsteps :salah:
Ameen

Allaho Akbar, Remember Yusuf you have a family that will always be here for you.
Fi Aman Allah
Salamo Alikom wa Rahmat Allah wa Barakato
:tti_sister:

Salika

~mUsLiMaH~
:salam2:

patrick reminds me of patrick the starfish from spongebob....he's so funny...but anyways....:ma: brother. May Allah guide you towards the right path always. Aamein.

Inquirer

May Allah guide you towards the right path always.

Indeed, which is sort of my point.

You don't have to renounce your culture to be a Muslim brother, as much as some would delight in that, it's just those things in Muslim inspired and none-Muslim cultures alike that run counter to Islam that we have to renounce, and the noble name 'Patrick', that Allah gave you, via your parents, who are to be honoured, is an excellent one. There is nothing wrong with it, and I just wanted to let you know, as you seemed to be under the impression that this was somehow haram, and it certainly isn't, and for some reason, nobody else is giving you this information. It would be wrong to have you make such a decision based upon a misunderstanding, and I respect you and Islam enough to send you a message upon the matter.

Not having an Arabic name isn't a sin. It is a sin to dishonour our parents, even if they have injured us. I am worried in case you are being made to feel ashamed or rebellious of your ancestry or cultural origins, be it that this is coming from within or without, but this is wrong.

None the less, God bless to you, whatever your name is. I only wanted to open your mind. There is absolutely no reason at all to change your God-given name, you thought that there was, but this is incorrect. None the less, what you decide, I respect entirely, but if a brother is to make a decision that could be based upon a misunderstanding, for the love of Allah, I will point it out, if no one else will. Allah didn't call me 'the rock', for nothing, noble brother.

Be proud of and happy about who you are, what you are and where you come from, and allow Islam to reinforce that, and be an inspiration to all around you with the nobility that you're destined to attain, Islam isn't meant to make you feel ashamed, inadequate or rebellious about anything, other than that which runs counter to it's teachings, and your name most certainly does not, I fear to change it may well do so. I worry that those around you may think that Islam necessitates a rebuttal of one's culture and one's parents on account of this strange behaviour of name changing where it isn't necessary, and this most certainly isn't the case.

You're in my prayers brother. God bless, in whatever you do.

Bottlecap

To me Yusuf, what you've done is a great testament to your faith. Have you thought about making the change official?

mymohsin

Pls mak Duwa 4 me
Salam Brothers/Sisters,

Brother Yusuf. Masha Allah nice name brother. Congrates May Allah shower his mercy on all of us Ameen.

Allah hafiz.