'Clash Of Civilizations': Research

rastinny

Different cultures are not incompatible. Its a myth and insults our religions that all teach us that we can live together with different cultures. Islam and Christianity are about worship to GOD. We are all slaves of God and god said

Fight with them until there is no persecution, and religion should be only for Allah, but if they desist, then there should be no hostility except against the oppressors." (Qur'an, 2:190-192)

We should fight against OPPRESSORS and PERSECUTION whether they are Christian, Muslim or Jew not against our fellow cultures. Religion should be only for GOD.

Peace and Blessings

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
That's just a man made assumption

You Muslims have been nothing but good and kind to me, critical but alway righteous, so let me share one bit of my culture with you my bothers:

Until the philosophy that holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanantly discredited and abandoned there will be war...

Yes man thats right. Its only a philosophy cuz Allah SWT says in the Quran,

O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things). (13)
Al-Hujurat

O mankind! reverence your Guardian-Lord Who created you from a single person, created, of like nature, his mate and from them twain scattered (like seeds) countless men and women;― fear Allah, through Whom ye demand your mutual (rights) and (reverence) the wombs (that bore you): for Allah ever watches over you.` (1)
An-Nisa

And my beloved Rasul-Allah SAW said the same many times and he stressed about this issue in his last sermon as well,

'All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black, nor a black has any superiority over a white- except by piety and good action.'

rastinny

How dem ah wonder... how we do this, they growing hate and hunger, fi Jah prophets but as my locks get longer heathen a twist. Them spead them propaganda but them cyan stop this

Every man for their own but the fact still remains ah Jah wear the crown. Elizabeth get off your pumps and start step down. How you haffi hide this is the rastaman sound. We are immume to criticizm and hold no grudge we face the challenge and harness the power of love. But now you want us to be like a robe so we can be saturated with all the blood but how them ah wonder...

Sizzla...

rastinny

O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things). (13)
Al-Hujurat

O mankind! reverence your Guardian-Lord Who created you from a single person, created, of like nature, his mate and from them twain scattered (like seeds) countless men and women;― fear Allah, through Whom ye demand your mutual (rights) and (reverence) the wombs (that bore you): for Allah ever watches over you.` (1)
An-Nisa

Thank you brother, beautiful verses to teach my sons.

rastinny

I took heed of the problems with my questionaire and have changed it a bit: If you think its better now pleas help me by fill it out...

Questioner
Dear respondent would you mind helping me answer these questions by highlighting what you find appropriate or by underlining it? Feel free to expand or forward to your Muslim friends. Please email me your responses on [email protected]

What is your religion?

Christianity / Islam / Hindu / Jewish / Other / None

What do you think about Culture (Please chose only one of the options)?

• My culture is important; we should stick to our cultures to preserve them.

• My culture is important; but we should pick and choose what we like between other cultural traits available to us.

• Culture is not so important; we should adapt to the values of rationality, democracy, science and technology.

Other view:

Do you experience discrimination?

Often / Regularly / Seldom / Never

How does your experience of discrimination affect your dedication to religious life or other aspects of your culture?

Increased dedication / No Effect / Less dedication

What do you think of the treatment of your Ethnic group by the government or the population of Holland?

Good / Bad / Normal / I don’t know / Other:

What do you think of the treatment of your Ethnic group by your own Government?

Good / Bad / Normal / I don’t know / Other:

What do you think of the treatment of your Ethnic group by the government of the USA?

Good / Bad / Normal / I don’t Know / Other:

What do you think of the violent resistance against the ‘coalition of the willing’ in Iraq?

Justified / Unjustified / Other:

What do you think of the use of violence by Al Qaeda?

Justified / Unjustified / Other:

justoneofmillion

Hi Justone of a Million

Just woke up and read your commend. I fully agree with you that western civilization is experiencing a deep crisis right now. Many like you are more and more coming to the realization that the rational and bureaucratic applications of science have created a monster and although idiots like Bush are either to greedy or too stupid to see there are many who are like you very concerned. I am a devout Rastafarian but have to sons who are raised in the Islamic tradition by their mother, that means they go to the Mosque and the Koran school and they learn Arabic. Really I would not like to see them grow up in a world with GM crops, nuclear weapons or a world having no respect for the life of their Muslim Brothers. I hope they grow up to be just as devout Muslims as I am a Rastafarian but I too am concerned about the future. I write and reason to promote real love and understanding between all peoples but I also try not to close my eyes for what is wrong. Thats why I strongly criticize the attitudes in the west but I also see many a thing wrong in the 'east'. The endemic discrimination and exploitation of black people by so called 'wahabi' muslims in states like Saudi Arabia is just as evil as what the Dutch have done to us. This is no critisizm towards Islam; just as slaves fighting against slave masters in Suriname is not against Christianity. Exploitation and disrimination is done by Christians and Muslims and othe culture as both fail to live up to the religious I deals. By focussing on what is different between the cultures and clashing over it we leave the once who are dicriminating and exploiting us for wealth and power and dont really care about culture go free while we are killing each other for country and culture. People like Bush and Huttington do not care about either christianity or Islam. But they can use the love for God, culture and country to motivate their soldiers to go and die for them in wars while they fill their pockets and keep their Jewish and European friends interests save. They constantly indoctrinate us about the how we should fight to protect our culture and countries and how incompatible our cultures are so we can slaughter our self protecting their intrests. I swear to God. NOT ME!!! I can live in peace and harmony with all other cultures and I do not believe in a clash of cultures. My best friends are Muslims, Catholics, and Hindu's and if their is one thing I will never do is hate one of them because they are different than me. No Huttington nor Bush nor any politician is going to use my live so he can continue drinking champagne and fornicate. But I will pick up any weapon to defend my self against people trying to enslave and exploit me and the defenseless in society regardless of which civilization they are from. I think its time for civilizations to unite against those who have used the clash of civilizations myth to divide and rule us.

One perfect love

hi dear friend let me give you another one about the subject it is short but it should be quite clear that the sens of justice and equality is in the spirit of islam! prpeht muhammad pbuh said"help your brother whether he is the oppressor or the oppressed one" than the people wondred and asked "oh messenger of Allah we understand that we need to help him if he is oppressed but how can we help him if he is the oppressor?he said pbuh"by preventing him from oppressing others!"(narrated by ibn anas sahih al buchari 3:43) and in the quran and sunna there are countless verses of that nature you can check for yourself Islam is perfect we as muslims are unnfortunatly not we strive to but being human we are subject to error that is why we ask for forgivness in prayer otherwise what is the point of praying if one is sinnless holy!Allah swt ordered us to be just and speak the truth whether it is against our father mother sister brother or against our own self because Allah swt is closer to you and i than that he sees and hears what we do no way for hypocrisy or cheating we can`t that is why we have to be rightous and speak the truth as objectivly as we can and not be subjectiv and this consciousnnes of" him" as ever present and judge can change the charachter of an individual to the good towards honesty towards bounty it can change famillies ,society , nations if the majority of people was counscious of that it would change the world periode!that is why dawah is important as muslims theQuaran teaches us to help the oppressed reggardless of him being muslim ,jew christian, hindou atheist or koalabear it doesn`t matter! wallahu akbar be safe

best regards

Simdbad

rastinny

help the oppressed reggardless of him being muslim ,jew christian, hindou atheist or koalabear it doesn`t matter! wallahu akbar be safe

Lol isnt it sad that we even have to help a Koala bear nowadays...But indeed our duty doesnt stop at fellowhumans. If its up to Bush and his mates our whole planet will soon be uninhabitable. Pity it's the people in the majority world will feel the brunt of environmental destruction first; but like my sons mother would say Inshallah God will not let that happen and they will come to their destuction before that. And if it does we need to be ready to help those in need the best we can. Governments here in Europe close their borders to people suffering in the majority world after they pilliged and robbed all the could there. They have no fear for a day of judgement. But even worse they have lost empathy, and therefore the basic faculty of humanity. Could I care less about their immigration laws...'illegal' immigrants are always welcome in my home. I have family back home in Suriname where we never knew environmental disasters. Last year their was a flood that killed some people living in the jungle. The roads are since then destroyed and my brother who was a truck driver had to sell one of his trucks because there is no work anymore. Im sure you will all have your own examples...

Jah bless and protect!

rastinny

Just read it. Amazing!! Never heard about that. In school we used to learn about Columbus but since young the Rastafarians told me that it was a lie. They used to sing: 'Christopher Columbus is a damn blasted liar - Burning spear'
Will put up a link to the song if you like later. Want to read the rest of the thread when im back home. Thanks for the hint. Brilliant!!
Going to work now be back after 12

One love mi fren!

rastinny

My humble suggestion is that you must also focus various flash points / flash issues on earth that may cause clash of civilizations to occur e.g. Iraq, Iran, Israel-Palestine, Korea, China, Kashmir (India-Pak) etc.

Thanks for the suggestion I had not enough time to do all the other but following is an attempt at one flash point:

Race and Culture
Some have also used ‘flash points’ such as the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy to explain how differences in culture cause violence. Pointing to protests across the Muslim world, some of which escalated into violence, including setting fire to the Norwegian and Danish Embassies in Syria, the storming European buildings, the desecration of the Danish and German flags in Gaza City and the issuing of death threats by some radical Muslims leaders across the globe, they attribute conflict to the lack of respect Muslims are supposed to have for ‘western’ values such as freedom of speech. After publication of the cartoons, Danish Muslim organizations, indeed objected to the depictions, arguing that they are blasphemous to people of the Muslim faith, intended to humiliate a Danish minority, or a manifestation of ignorance about the history of western imperialism, from colonialism to the current conflicts in the Middle East. Danish Muslim groups responded thus initially by holding public protests attempting to raise awareness of Jyllands-Posten's publication. However the objection to public depiction of information, experienced to be blasphemous or humiliating is not uncommon in ‘western’ societies. Indeed some western European countries have themselves introduced legislation to limit free speech in order to protect parts of their populations from the public depiction of blasphemous or humiliating information. Because objections to blasphemous or humiliating uses of free speech are not unique for Muslims it would be inaccurate to deem these objections as markers of violence between Islamic and Western cultures. These objections are therefore, on their own, not the result of differences in culture. Some might point to the violence that erupted on a later stage of the controversy but the application of violence in similar states of a conflict is also not uncommon in other cultures. Indeed the many violent riots after certain European soccer events suggest that the sociological reasons for violent conflict must be found at a different source than differences in culture. Like sociological approaches to the problem of British Hooliganism have suggested; violent behavior originates often from forms of social stratification. Young’s review of William, Dunning and Murphy investigation of British Hooliganism suggests:

British hooligans are often white male working class adolescents for who fighting is one of the few sources of excitement, status and meaning. They support their thesis by a lengthy sequence of illustrations of British Hooligans taking their socio-economic frustrations on fans from ‘foreign teams’ (Young, 1986)

Although individual hooligans have different individual motivations commentators generally agree the social class has been a significant factor in Englands Hooliganism. However, social class seems no variable on its own. Instead William, Dunning and Murphy combine stratification with the suggestion that fighting or violence becomes one of the few sources of status and meaning. When other forms of achieving status and meaning are limited (often by enduring political or socio-economic constraints) violence becomes a viable option. Even if the actual triggers to the violence are diverse or as trivial as the outcome of a soccer match. An analysis needs there fore be focussed not on the trigger only but the way social tensions are building up and relating to societal problems especially concerning topics like stratification, gender, and interpersonal relationships and the performance of the justice system. To understand the Jyllands-Posten cartoons controversy we must therefore pay an attention to the Danish society prior and at the time of the incidents.

Guardian correspondent Kiku Day suggests that social stratification based on racism, xenophobia and material inequality characterises the relationship between Muslims and the Danes (Day, 2006). Withstanding the fact that households with a Muslim background compose the largest share of non-Western minorities in Denmark; Muslims have much higher unemployment rates, particularly those from non-European countries. For example, in 2000 the unemployment rate for people with origins in Somalia, Iraq and Morocco stood above 65%, as compared to about 18% for native Danes, 7% for the EU immigrants and 5% of the general EU working-age population. However, these extreme socio-economic discrepancies do not stand alone. Inequality between non EU Muslims and the Danes is guaranteed to remain stable by the government’s tolerance of- and involvement in- manifestations of Islamophobia. As illustrated by a research paper, commissioned by the EU Monitoring and Advocacy Program (EUMAP) the stability in inequality is even shaping expectations of and choices of young people regarding their education and ambitions.

‘Research indicates that, even in their school years, young people from ethnic minorities have such low expectations for gainful employment that this impacts on their ambitions for further education. Of those who do reach universities, the vast majority study subjects such as the natural sciences, IT, engineering and managerial sciences, but very few turn to social sciences or the professional fields that confine job opportunities primarily to the Danish labour market, such as law, sociology and national economics. And even for those with qualifications, there is evidence that ethnic minorities of non-Western origin do not benefit fully from their education and skills, whether obtained in Denmark or in any other country’ (Hussain, 2007).

Because racism and xenophobia are so common; young Muslims do not expect that their efforts to improve their socio-economic status through education will benefit them fully. This suggests that racism and xenophobia are not only expressed through interpersonal interactions by a few members of the populous. As suggested by a report from the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights the expression of racism and xenophobia has extended to the ranks of some members of the government and can be illustrated by the governments handling of the Jyllands-Posten cartoons controversy:
The cartoons were published on the 30th of September, 2005. Having received petitions from Danish imams, eleven ambassadors from Muslim-majority countries asked for a meeting with Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen on 12 October 2005, in order to discuss what they perceived as an ‘on-going smearing campaign in Danish public circles and media against Islam and Muslims’. In a letter, the ambassadors mentioned not only the issue of the Muhammad cartoons, but also a recent indictment against Radio Holger, and statements by MP Louise Frevert and the Minister of Culture, Brian Mikkelsen. The government answered the ambassadors' request for a meeting on 21st of October with a letter refusing the requested meeting.

UN special reporter Doudou notes:

The initial reaction of the Danish Government - its refusal to adopt an official stance on the content and the publication of the cartoons out of respect for freedom of expression, and its refusal to receive the ambassadors of Muslim countries - revealed not just the trivialization of Islamophobia at the political level but also, as events subsequently demonstrated, the central involvement of politicians in the national and international impact of manifestations and expressions of Islamophobia.
Politically and from the standpoint of the morality of international relations, the Danish Government, against the backdrop of an alarming resurgence of defamation of religions, especially Islamophobia but also anti-Semitism and Christianophobia, failed to show the commitment and vigilance that it normally displays in combating religious intolerance and incitement to religious hatred and promoting religious harmony (Doudou, 2006).

The UNHCR report suggests that the cartoon affaire illustrates that intolerance towards certain religions and incitement to religious hatred is propagated even amongst children:

In terms of timing, intent and targeted audience, the publication of these cartoons shows how much the defamation of religions has become trivialized. The fact that children were the intended readership of the biography indicates a desire to shape the attitude to religion of a particularly sensitive and vulnerable age group (Doudou, 2006).

After the refusal for meeting the ambassadors, a number of Muslim organizations filed a complaint with the Danish police on October 27, 2005 claiming that Jyllands-Posten had committed an offence under section 140 and 266b of the Danish Criminal Code. On 6 January 2006, the Regional Public Prosecutor in Viborg discontinued the investigation as he found no basis for concluding that the cartoons constituted a criminal offence. To determine the cause for the eruption of violence is might be useful look ate the timing of the violence. It is worth noting that in 2005, directly after the publication, the Muhammad cartoons controversy received only minor media attention outside of Denmark. In fact, six of the cartoons were first reprinted by the Egyptian newspaper El Fagr on October 17, 2005, along with an article strongly denouncing them, but the publication did not provoke any condemnations or other reactions from religious or government authorities. However between October 2005 and the end of January 2006, examples of the cartoons were reprinted in major European newspapers from the Netherlands, Germany, Scandinavia, Belgium and France. Very soon after, protests grew, but only to lead to further re-publications around the globe, but primarily in continental Europe. Notable for a lack of republication of the cartoons were most major newspapers in the USA and the United Kingdom, where editorials covered the story without including the depictions.
One could argue that the violent protests erupting after the discontinuation of the investigation were not the result of the publication of the cartoons but of a combination of socio-economic factors, and political failure leading to an exceptional build up of tension. As the Public Prosecutor discontinued the investigation, the cartoons publishers were not tried in a court of Justice. As the government refused to even engage in discussion with the ambassadors one can suggests that it became even more obvious for Muslims worldwide that due to the wide spread and institutional xenophobia and racism, Muslims were unable to rely on the conventional political and judicial system to find a remedy for their grievances. In large parts of not only Denmark but also other countries in the EU, Muslims report indeed to be reduced to a ‘pariah existence’ and often incapable to influence their own or their community’s social status in conventional, peaceful manners. Kiku Day concludes:

‘Denmark has at last managed to catch the world's eye, after so many years of failing to get credit for being at the cutting edge of liberalism. But the inelegant handling of the controversy over the cartoons of the prophet Muhammad is the result of a country that has been moving in the direction of xenophobia and racism - especially towards its Muslim inhabitants. The world needs to realise that the Denmark that helped Jews flee from Nazi deportation is long gone. A new Denmark has appeared, a Denmark of intolerance and a deep-seated belief in its cultural superiority’ (Kiku Day, 2006)

The publication of the cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten and the following social unrest are therefore not a manifestation of conflict resulting from differences in culture but as the UNHCR commends ‘the most serious manifestation of the deteriorating [socio - economic] situation of Arab and Muslim populations generally and Islamophobia in particular’.

When bureaucracies enforce integration and assimilation but at the same time fail to confront discrimination, inequality and intolerance, some of society’s members will experience feelings of alienation and exclusion. One can suggest that discrimination not only adds to the maintaining of socio-economical inequalities between the Danish nationals and non-nationals; it aids to the belief in the stability of unequal group positions and turns groups inward. Maykel Verkuyten suggested that these stable socio-economic hierarchies reduce contact and therefore may create an attitude of resentment or ‘latent hatred’ against the system (Verkuyten 2006; Simmel, 1997); an attitude in which the mobilizing message of violent radicalism resonates.

One perfect love!