Confusion about Qadr

Bawtz

:salam2:

I am having difficulty grasping the concept of Qadr. I understand that it is one of the 6 pillars of Emaan, however I was hoping someone could help me shed a better light on the concept.

I know that Allah decrees everything and that nothing happens without his decree. Also, eveyrthing that has happened, is happening and will happen is written in Lawh- al-Mahfooth. This means that all of our destinations, Jannah or Jahannam are already set. So does this mean that no matter what I do, whatever Allah has decreed for me will happen.

For example, we can use the same logic for marriage, if Allah decrees that you marry a certain woman or man, no matter what you do Allah's decree will happen and you will marry that particular person.

So in the case of the Hereafter, Allah has decreed where you and I are going whether it is Jannah or Jahannam. My question is what is the point of doing anything if your destiny is already set? Does it really matter if I was a rotten muslim or decent muslim since my destiny is already chosen?

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
:wasalam:

Brother you can find a simple answer here in sha' Allah

It's not about forcing ,it's about foreseeing.
Certain things are fixed for others we have a choice.
Allah knows what we are going to do out of His infinite wisdom and knowledge,about a deed we are going to do before we do it,hence it is written.
Not because it is written we are going to do it,but because we are going to do it hence it is written.
Meaning of belief in al-Qadar (the divine will and decree)
ar - en - fr
Share |
What is the meaning of belief in al-Qadar (the divine will and decree)?.

Praise be to Allaah.
Qadar means that Allaah has decreed everything that happens in the universe according to His prior knowledge and the dictates of His wisdom.

Belief in al-Qadar includes four things:

1 – The belief that Allaah knows all things, in general and in detail, from eternity to eternity, whether that has to do with His actions or the actions of His slaves.

2 – The belief that Allaah has written that in al-Lawh al-Mahfooz (the Book of Decrees).

Concerning these two matters Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Know you not that Allaah knows all that is in the heaven and on the earth? Verily, it is (all) in the Book (Al‑Lawh Al‑Mahfooz). Verily, that is easy for Allaah”
[al-Hajj 22:70]

In Saheeh Muslim (2653) it is narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr ibn al-‘Aas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Allaah wrote down the decrees of creation fifty thousand years before He created the heavens and the earth.”

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The first thing that Allaah created was the Pen, and He said to it, ‘Write!’ It said, ‘O Lord, what should I write?’ He said: ‘Write down the decrees of all things until the Hour begins.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4700; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

3 – The belief that whatever happens only happens by the will of Allaah – whether that has to do with His actions or the actions of created beings.

Allaah says concerning His actions (interpretation of the meaning):

“And your Lord creates whatsoever He wills and chooses”

[al-Qasas 28:68]

“and Allaah does what He wills”

[Ibraaheem 14:27]

“He it is Who shapes you in the wombs as He wills”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:6]

And He says concerning the actions of created beings (interpretation of the meaning):

“Had Allaah willed, indeed He would have given them power over you, and they would have fought you”

[al-Nisa’ 4:90]

“If your Lord had so willed, they would not have done it”

[al-An’aam 6:112]

All events, actions and happenings occur only by the will of Allaah. Whatever Allaah wills happens, and whatever He does not will does not happen.

4 – The belief that all things that happen are created by Allaah in their essence, their attributes and their movements.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah is the Creator of all things, and He is the Wakeel (Trustee, Disposer of affairs, Guardian) over all things”

[al-Zumar 39:62]

“He has created everything, and has measured it exactly according to its due measurements”

[al-Furqaan 25:2]

And Allaah tells us that the Prophet of Allaah Ibraaheem (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to his people:

“While Allaah has created you and what you make”

[al-Saaffaat 38:96 – interpretation of the meaning]

If a person believes in all these things then he believes correctly in the divine will and decree (al-qadar).

Belief in al-qadar as we have described it above does not contradict the idea that a person has free will with regard to actions in which he has free choice. He can choose whether to or not to do things that he is able to do of acts of worship or sinful actions. Sharee’ah and real life both indicate that people have this will.

With regard to sharee’ah, Allaah says concerning man's will (interpretation of the meaning):

“That is (without doubt) the True Day. So, whosoever wills, let him seek a place with (or a way to) His Lord (by obeying Him in this worldly life)!”

[al-Naba’ 78:39]

“so go to your tilth, when or how you will”

[al-Baqarah 2:223]

And He says concerning man’s ability (interpretation of the meaning):

“So keep your duty to Allaah and fear Him as much as you can”

[al-Taghaabun 64:16]

“Allaah burdens not a person beyond his scope. He gets reward for that (good) which he has earned, and he is punished for that (evil) which he has earned”

[al-Baqarah 2:286]

These verses confirm that man has a will and the ability to do what he wants and not to do what he does not want.

With regard to real life, everyone knows that he has a will and the ability to do what he wants and not to do what he does not want. And he can distinguish between the things that happen when he wants them to, such as walking, and those that happen without him wanting them to, such as shivering. But the will and ability of man are subject to the will and decree of Allaah, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“To whomsoever among you who wills to walk straight.

And you cannot will unless (it be) that Allaah wills the Lord of the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists)”

[al-Takweer 81:28-29]

But the entire universe is the dominion of Allaah, and nothing can happen in His dominion without His knowledge and will.

And Allaah knows best.

See Risaalat Sharh Usool al-Eemaan by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen.
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/34732/qadar
Read the above opinion in sha'Allah

Bawtz

Akhi, what you said makes sense but what about freewill? You said that Allah doesn't force us to choose a path but he simply know what path we will take. But isn't out will subjected to that of Allah's?

Allah says: "But you cannot will, unless Allah wills. Verily,Allah is Ever All-Knowing, All-Wise" - Surah 76 Verse 30.

"And never say of anything, 'I shall do such and such thing tomorrow. Except (with the saying): 'If God wills!' And remember your Lord when you forget...'" - Surah 18 Verse 24.

So my will is conditional upon Allah's will, so it is not completely free then. For example, If I want to take road A instead of road B, it depends on if Allah wills that I take that road.

My question is how can I have free will if my will is being subjected to anothers. It could be the same as if I will to go to the store but my father decides that I will not or that I will, is that really free will?

strive-may-i

Attributed to Ali(r):
One a person came to Ali(r) and asked him, "you Muslims believe that God has already written in a tablet ( safe and enclosed ) about everything that's to happen until doom's day. So what about our will?"
Ali(r) replied 'no, we have free will to one limit.'
The person asked, then 'how much we have free will?'
Ali(r) replied to that man to lift his leg up. When he had lifted his leg, then Ali(r) asked him to lift his other leg.
Man replied 'I can not'.
Ali(r) explained, that to this extent you are free to do so and to other extent, you are not free.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
:salam2:

From tafsir Ibn Kathir:
﴿وَمَا تَشَآءُونَ إِلاَّ أَن يَشَآءَ اللَّهُ﴾

(But you cannot will, unless Allah wills.) meaning, no one is able to guide himself, enter into faith or bring about any benefit for himself,

﴿إِلاَّ أَن يَشَآءَ اللَّهُ إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ عَلِيماً حَكِيماً﴾

(Unless Allah wills. Verily, Allah is Ever All-Knowing, All-Wise.) meaning, He is Most Knowledgeable of who deserves to be guided. So, He makes guidance easy for him and He predestines for him that which will be a cause for it. However, whoever deserves misguidance, He averts guidance from him. Unto Him belongs the most excellent wisdom and the most irrefutable argument. Thus, He says,

﴿إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ عَلِيماً حَكِيماً﴾

(Verily, Allah is Ever All-Knowing, All-Wise.) Then He says,

Akhee,
two groups went astray when they debated on the topic of qadr

*Jabariyyah: the determinists -- who denied the human being's responsibility for any of his actions.They claimed that man has no will and no real action, and that he is just like a feather in the wind .

*Qadariyyah:who say that man is independent in his actions, whether good or bad, and that does not happen by the will of Allaah but rather by the will of the person.They claimed, on the contrary, that man creates his actions by his ability and his will, thus “making” creators other than Allah! This group of people is called Al-Qadariyyah. The Prophet ( :saw: ) called them the “Magians of this Ummah,” because they claim that Satan “creates” evil and harmful things, making Satan a “creator” besides Allah.

These are two groups that went deviant because of their extreme beliefs.Scholars have commented that the truth lies midway between them and Islam is the deen of middle path not of extremes.
So let us all be wary of having extreme views in sha' Allah.

Read more about qadr here in sha' Allah.