Converts and Name Changes

AdnanD

Just a quick question on how you all feel about converts who change their name to names more commonly associated with Muslims?

For example, a man named Johnathan changing his name to Muhammad, or a woman named Tina changing her name to Fatima, because they feel that these are 'Muslim' names.

I have my own view on it but just wanted to see what others thought.

weakslave

If they do it from their own will (like I have seen many do), that is their choice and it is because that is what they want. They want to have an Arabic name because to them it is a sign now that look you are not that person you used to be.

If they are forced into it, that is another question. I have also seen some brothers (may Allaah guide them!) pressuring reverts into changing their name. This is not right at all!

As long as the person does not have an offensive name (which is very rare), it is their choice.

Miss Aaliyah

Salam,
I feel it's up to every convert to decide, or to a born Muslim if he/she never got an Islamic/Arabic name and he/she feels he/she wants one. An Islamic/Arabic name doesn't make you more Muslim, but for some it can make you feel stronger by the name or you might feel happy to show that you're a Muslim even by your name. I have a name since I converted which is Aaliyah, but this is not the name I am born with. Among Muslims I prefere them to call me by this name, but I am quite sure that my family will never call me by another name than my birth name. It doesn't bother me but for me I chose another name to make me stronger during the time when I was a new Muslim and today I love the name and want to add it too one day inshallah.

ShyHijabi

The only time it is recorded that a convert changed his name to a new name was when it meant something bad in his language. I need to dig up the hadith. Personally I kept my name because I felt it would hurt my family's feelings....as if to say I didn't think my name, given to me by my mother, was "good enough."

There are Arab names but I think people are too quick to think of them as "Muslim" names. There are many Christians in the Middle East with "Muslim" names when in reality they are Arabic names. I think our actions should be what deliniates us from non-Muslims...names are just labels in the end.

revert2007

Love Fishing
well i personally still keeps my old name and my father's name...i don't see whay we shuld change it unless it is really a bad name

SwordofAllah16

Heros of Islam
Just a quick question on how you all feel about converts who change their name to names more commonly associated with Muslims?

For example, a man named Johnathan changing his name to Muhammad, or a woman named Tina changing her name to Fatima, because they feel that these are 'Muslim' names.

I have my own view on it but just wanted to see what others thought.

:salam2:

i'm curious on hearing your views on it

shasha

Muslimah
I don't think there is such thing as a bad name. But, there are some names that antagonizes Islam or might cause some confusion. Christian is a very common name among Christians (obviously). What if that person converts to Islam? I'm sure that person would want to change his name. :)

I am a convert and I am thinking of changing my name to an Islamic name just so people will recognize right away that I'm a Muslimah just by seeing my name. :hijabi:

Salaam... :hearts:

Abdol

It doesn't matter

It does not really matter to change your name if you are a new muslim, once your old does not have any connection with an idol, trees, rocks, water or any human being. You may decide to have one and add it to other names you already have example: Robert Ibrahim kelly. Ma salam

AdnanD

:salam2:

i'm curious on hearing your views on it

Walaykum Salaam Wa-Rahmetuallah

---

I believe with some there is no problem, however I believe some others change their name for the wrong reasons.

I don't see how the change of a name makes any person more pious, but just that they have this internal pull to what they believe their 'Muslim Name' should be, when in reality they're confusing it with Arabic culture.

One name change I've heard, just as an example, a man named Russel Brown changed his name to Muhammad Rasoul.

I'm curious as to why he chose 'Muhammad' and 'Rasoul' together in particular, but will never know his true intentions.

ShyHijabi

Hadith about names being changed from a "bad" meaning to a good meaning:

Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to change bad names to good ones.

It was narrated from Ibn ‘Umar that a daughter of ‘Umar was called ‘Aasiyah (disobedient), but the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) renamed her Jameelah (beautiful). Narrated by Muslim, 2139.

The ruling – changing names to good names – has to do with what is mustahabb and preferable; it is not obligatory or binding.

The evidence for that is the report narrated by al-Bukhaari (6190) from Ibn al-Musayyab that his father came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he said, “What is your name?” He said, “Hazn (meaning rough).” He said, “You are Sahl (meaning easy).” He said, “I will not change the name that my father gave to me.” Ibn al-Musayyab said, “And we have had roughness (in character) ever since.”

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/14622/name%20change

SwordofAllah16

Heros of Islam
Walaykum Salaam Wa-Rahmetuallah

---

I believe with some there is no problem, however I believe some others change their name for the wrong reasons.

I don't see how the change of a name makes any person more pious, but just that they have this internal pull to what they believe their 'Muslim Name' should be, when in reality they're confusing it with Arabic culture.

One name change I've heard, just as an example, a man named Russel Brown changed his name to Muhammad Rasoul.

I'm curious as to why he chose 'Muhammad' and 'Rasoul' together in particular, but will never know his true intentions.

Ya neva no maybe it cud be his love for muhammad SAW that made him wana name himself after him Allahu 'alam

shasha

Muslimah
MaShAllah. :hijabi: Thanks so much shyhijabi for sharing that link. Very informative.

JazakAllah khair.

Salaam :hearts:

Julie1134

Salam

Salam,
I have had people tell me I must change my name but I tell them this is the name given to me by my mother. I explain to them as long as my name does not mean anything bad I can keep it.