Court sentences wife-beater to memorize Qur’an, Prophet’s sayings

Ershad

:salam2:

Court sentences wife-beater to memorize Qur’an, Prophet’s sayings

By Aisha Jamal
Saudi Gazette

JEDDAH — The Penal Court here has sentenced a man to memorize five parts (Juz’) of the Holy Qur’an and 100 sayings of the Prophet (peace be upon him) and to read three books on Shariah.
The man was found guilty of beating up his wife.
The court decided to set an examination for the man after six months from the date of the verdict.
The judge advised the husband to protect his wife’s rights as stipulated by Islam, perform obligatory prayers regularly and repent to Allah for mistreating his wife.
The man did not raise any objection to the verdict.
According to court proceedings the woman wanted to visit a female relative to which the man initially agreed but later changed his mind. He then asked her to fetch a glass of water and she refused. The man went to the kitchen and his wife also followed him. Infuriated, the man slapped her. She immediately headed for the bedroom to take her clothes and leave for her father’s house.
This made the man more incensed and he started beating her severely.
A report issued by King Fahd Hospital in Jeddah showed she suffered bruises on different parts of the body including nose, neck, head, legs and arms.
The woman filed a complaint with the police and the case was referred to the Bureau of Investigation and Prosecution (BIP), which framed the charges against the man.
The BIP claimed that the beating was haram and punishable under the Shariah laws. The prosecution demanded deterrent punishment for the man.
The private right of the wife was dropped following a settlement through which the husband paid his wife SR7000 as compensation.
The verdict against the husband included reading three books on the Shariah. The books are The rules of acts of worship and The pillars of Islam by Sheikh Abdulaziz Bin Baz, a book on supplications by Ibn Al-Qayyim entitled Al-Wabil Al-Sayyib… and he will have to sit for an exam.

Source: http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cfm?method=home.regcon&contentID=20120507123560

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Dumb question: Why did she follow him into the kitchen? I am dazed and confused on this one.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Her husband was angry. You leave a person alone who is angry.

This makes no sense. I am not saying he was correct in hitting her. However, she was equally wrong.

She asked. He said no.
He asks her to give him a glass of water. She says no. She irks him.
She follows him into the kitchen. Why??? You know he is angry. Why are you following an angry man.

She has disobeyed her husband and then follows him into the kitchen. That was provocation.

She is going to end up alone. A shame to her parents.

What man is going to want a woman who does not listen to him. All she had to do was wait and soften his heart.

Ayyub

Assalaam walaikum,

Her husband was angry. You leave a person alone who is angry.

This makes no sense. I am not saying he was correct in hitting her. However, she was equally wrong.

She asked. He said no.
He asks her to give him a glass of water. She says no. She irks him.
She follows him into the kitchen. Why??? You know he is angry. Why are you following an angry man.

She has disobeyed her husband and then follows him into the kitchen. That was provocation.

She is going to end up alone. A shame to her parents.

What man is going to want a woman who does not listen to him. All she had to do was wait and soften his heart.

Assalamou Alaikoum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh

Sister I think this time you are wrong. The wife is not something like a butler for her husband. And a man has no right to beat his wife severe. There are certain hadiths that deliver the message of Mohamed sallahu alayhi wa sallam that the lightly beating of the wife has to be not in the face, shouldn't leave any bruises etc.
So the wife is right this time and the husband is wrong.

And Allah knows best.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

I wrote that his actions were wrong.

However, common sense did not prevail in any of this.

You do not provoke an angry person. What if he had had a gun? She would be dead.

Common sense tells you if a person is angry you leave them alone. You do not walk behind them running your mouth.

Islamically, she was wrong in not listening to him. He said no. Let it go and wait. A woman can get a man to do almost anything. She was impatient. And then to follow a man ...what was she not thinking?

Please take the time to read what I write before you tell me I am wrong.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

There is no confusion here.

In the majority of domestic abuse issues in the US when the police are called they usually take the husband for a long car ride and then drop him at home. The neighbors get a good laugh.

Yes, the court was correct in sentencing the husband. I am not disagreeing with that.

However, it would have served a greater good if the wife was given counseling as well.

The couple lacked patience.

What possessed the wife to follow an angry man into the kitchen. Someone needs to tell the sister when you upset your husband..let him cool down. Go busy yourself with anything. But do not walk into the mouth of anger when you have stirred it up. What did she think he was going to do..buy her a diamond ring?