cursed are the image makers?

Ashima33

So being an artist... I struggle with the "image maker" issue. Luckily, I am a ceramic artist/potter... so most of my work is functional and uses lines and pattern styles... But I can't help but think about this a lot, as I do look at a lot of art for inspiration.

Anyways... my question... so... visually we can make images... we can paint a picture of a face, or draw a picture of a tree....

but what about story telling? a lot of times stories will "paint" a picture in our minds. Isn't that "image making?"

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:salam2:,

Allah will not punish you for making picture in mind. pls dont make Islam hard on urself.

Allah tells stories of prophets (peace be upon them) in Quran and naturally picture develops in our minds. so will Allah ask us about this? inshallah No.

and Allah knows best.

Almeftah

That hadith refers to the Image of live beings.. like Humans, Animals of all kinds, or anything similar.

You can make an image of a tree, a leef, a branch, desert, beach, benches, flowers..etc.
For plants do not see or make a sound or breath like humans and animals.

And as my Brother Indian said:
Allah will not punish you for making picture in mind.Allah tells stories of prophets (peace be upon them) in Quran and naturally picture develops in our minds.

But its drawing and sculpting and so, these are not allowed.

Ashima33

I don't understand why it is interpreted that sculpting and drawing are not allowing, but creating a visual inside someone's mind is? Sometimes the visual we create in our minds can be even more accurate and similar to what Allah has create than what we can recreate with a pen and pencil. So... to me... that would be worse?

And I'm not worried about this being a burden on me... I'm just bringing up this question because it's something I've wondered. I don't draw/sculpt realistic things because I am HORRIBLE at it. I took many drawing classes before my conversion. But I do love photography. And I haven't found reasoning, yet, of why I should let this go...

as far as i know Allah doesnot punish a person for having thoughts but not acting on it.

its only bad if a person acts on a forbidden thing. thoughts cannot be controlled. thoughts remain inside a person. but actions affect the outer world beyond one's self.

so people are judged on their actions. there is a beautiful hadith explaining this. but i m not in wudu n cant open the Quran (footnotes) right now.

Ashima33

as far as i know Allah doesnot punish a person for having thoughts but not acting on it.

its only bad if a person acts on a forbidden thing. thoughts cannot be controlled. thoughts remain inside a person. but actions affect the outer world beyond one's self.

so people are judged on their actions. there is a beautiful hadith explaining this. but i m not in wudu n cant open the Quran (footnotes) right now.

Salaam,

this isn't exactly what I'm talking about. I'm talking about creating a visual image, for example, while telling a story you may describe scenery or what a person looks like.

Wasalaam.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
I don't understand why it is interpreted that sculpting and drawing are not allowing, but creating a visual inside someone's mind is? Sometimes the visual we create in our minds can be even more accurate and similar to what Allah has create than what we can recreate with a pen and pencil. So... to me... that would be worse?

this is the mercy of our Rabb - Allah.

though our thoughts could be worse than our actions, He do not punish us for our thoughts because He knows that our body is more in control than mind.

example, maybe in anger, u think of banging a person's head though in actual life u may never do it. but it will be sin only when u hurt the person unjustly.

Ashima33

I just don't feel like you guys are quite understanding what I'm getting at.... I see what you mean, acting on your thoughts is worse than just thinking about it.... that's not what I'm talking about.

Wouldn't telling a story with detailed descriptions of what people look like, be acting on thoughts? Writing a book with detailed description of the main characters features... wouldn't this be image making???????????

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Wouldn't telling a story with detailed descriptions of what people look like, be acting on thoughts? Writing a book with detailed description of the main characters features... wouldn't this be image making???????????

no, it will not be. prophet's biography have details about how he (saws) looked like and its not prohibited.

Allah Has not made it haraam and pls dont over burden urself. there are many matters about which u can think like day of judgment, heaven/hell, etc.

hope that helps u.

salaam:)