Cutting hair and nails??

zainsmommy

Assalamu Aleikom Everyone

Insha'Allah everyone is in the best of health and Iman.

So I have a question, and after being Muslim for three years...I am sort of ashamed to ask-I SHOULD know this by now, but I don't :redface:

On Saturday I had to hurry and cut my husbands hair and nails because he said that they cannot be cut for ten days(they were long overdue for a cutting-and I enjoy pampering him this way if you're wondering why I had to do it :) ) and he briefly mentioned the reason why...but it flew right over my head. I didn't get it.

When I looked online, all I see are the rulings for someone who makes Hajj.

So can anyone help me out and explain this to me? If you don't go to Hajj does this still apply to you? I really want to know.

Thank you all for any help

MaSalaama

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
:salam2:

If he is doing the sacrifing of sheep or cow or camel , then he should NOT cut his nails. Otherwise, he can cut his nails

muthmainnah

Assalamu'laikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuuh

I hope this explain:

It was narrated from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When you see the new moon of Dhu’l-Hijjah, and one of you wants to offer a sacrifice, let him refrain from (removing anything) from his hair or nails.” Narrated by Muslim, 1977. According to another version: “Let him not remove anything of his hair or skin.”
The scholars of the Standing Committee said:

It is prescribed for the one who wants to offer a sacrifice, when the month of Dhu’l-Hijjah begins, that he should not remove anything from his hair, nails or skin until he has offered the sacrifice, because of the report narrated by the group apart from al-Bukhaari (may Allaah have mercy on them), from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her), that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When you see the new moon of Dhu’l-Hijjah, and one of you wants to offer a sacrifice, let him refrain from (removing anything) from his hair or nails.” According to a version narrated by Abu Dawood, Muslim and al-Nasaa’i: “Whoever has a sacrifice to offer, when the new moon of Dhu’l-Hijjah begins, let him not remove anything from his hair or nails until he has offered the sacrifice” – whether he is going to slaughter the sacrifice himself or has asked someone else to slaughter it on his behalf. As for the one on whose behalf the sacrifice is being offered, that is not prescribed in his case, because there is no report to that effect. That is not called ihraam, rather ihraam refers to the one who enters ihraam for Hajj or ‘Umrah or both. End quote.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 11/397, 398

Al-Shawkaani said:

The reason behind this prohibition is so that all parts will remain to be ransomed from the Fire, or it was said that it is so that he will resemble the one who is in ihraam. Both views were narrated by al-Nawawi, but he narrated from the companions of al-Shaafa’i that the second view is a mistake, because (the person who wants to offer a sacrifice) does not keep away from women or stop putting on perfume or wearing regular clothes, and other things which the person in ihraam refrains from.

Nayl al-Awtaar, 5/133

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A