daughters/hijab?

Rivergirl

:salam2:
at what age should you get your daughter to wear or encourage her to wear an hijab? i see many toddlers with hijabs on. is this islamically neccessary at such an early age?

saffanah

speak good or silent
Wa'alaikumussalam, sister
The Obligation for woman to wear hijab is when she reaches her puberty or in other words when she has her first menstruation.
But, it will really good to make her use to wear this islamic clothes since an early age, three, four or five years old, because she will feel that this is her custom clothes, she will be familiar with hijaab and feel comfortable wearing it.
Compare it when we use to wear our daughters with 'up to date' fashion, I think it will be hard for her if someday she had to wear hijab.

q8penpals

Salam

I think this is a very good thread. I have seen many, many women in Kuwait (not necessarily all Kuwaiti women, but majority of them are Muslim) dressing their little girls,well, frankly, like mini-prostitutes (I went to the birthday party of an 8 year old relative of my husband, and the 8 year old was wearing a TON of makeup, a mini leather skirt, FISHNET STOCKINGS, high-heeled boots, and a skimpy little belly shirt with fish-net like sleeves). At this same party, there was a girl who was 11 or 12, wearing a skin-tight dress, who was doing belly dancing is such a suggestive manner that literally EVERY MAN at the party (all the fathers of the girls) was staring at this girl, and her mother thought it was great that her daughter was "so sexy"! My husband and I have since made excuses not to go to parties of any sort at this relative's place any more.

When I asked, I was told that since the girls will have to dress so conservatively when they are older, it is fun to let them dress however they like when they are little. I was like, WHAT?!? So, rather than having some perverted guy staring at your teen age daughter, you would rather him stare at your 8 year old? And what kind of message does that send these little girls?!

Now, I don't necessarily say that little girls need to be all covered in abayas at age 8, but geez, how about just "normal" little girl clothes? Normal cute dresses, jeans & t-shirts, khakis & blouses, tennis shoes or sandals - normal stuff!

Ok, off my soapbox.

Lana

Rivergirl

:salam2: all
thank you for contributing to this. i agree that a child should wear decent clothes and the situation that a sister described, is disgraceful, that a mother would encourage her daughter in those acts!
just a question, is it not then a case that the mother should be setting the right example and showing the love of islam and the true reasons behind hijab, so that the daughter can pick that up from the mom?
if the daughter sees how strongly mum feels about islam and talks to her about what islam is about, hijab, womens rights, in a fun, informative, creative way at a young age then the daughter may inshallah pt on hijab herself? just a thought.
i guess im saying all this because how i have seen young girls with hijab that they are told to put on at home and then come to school and take it off! also unfortuantly if u live in the west, u cannot always sheild your daughters from western fashion, hence all the girls that think its ok to have a hijab on, with the tightest of clothes u can ever get, they wear it when they go out with friends and make sure they go places where mum/dad wont see them! not that i condone wearing fashionable clothes to youngsters over hijab, please dont think that!
so whats the best course of action, i personally think to instill islam in them in such a way they they love it, love Allah(swt) understand it and know what is right and wrong, they question others behaviours and best of all to have a great role model, the mum.
am i just babbling on, i hope you know what i mean. im just trying to think of ways to get ur daughter to wear hijab on her own, as she is most likely to keep it on and observe the rules that go with the hijab,
:wasalam:

q8penpals

:salam2: also unfortuantly if u live in the west, u cannot always sheild your daughters from western fashion, hence all the girls that think its ok to have a hijab on, with the tightest of clothes u can ever get, they wear it when they go out with friends and make sure they go places where mum/dad wont see them! :wasalam:

Salam

Even more unfortunately, I do not live in the west; I live in a self-proclaimed Muslim country (which impliments a lot of Sharia law) - that is what makes it worse in how the girls dress. Even the teen-aged girls that I teach - I ask them about wearing a headscarf, and most of them say "When I get married" or "when I have a baby". But by and far the biggest problem here in Kuwait, is girls wearing headscarves, but then also wearing a TON of make-up (some of them, seriously, look like they are trying our for the part of a clown at the circus - I don't know how they can look in the mirror and even say that is what they inteded to look like!), lots of jingly-jangly jewelry, plus the skin-tight clothes.

I never saw girls in my home area of the US dress anywhere NEAR as provocatively as the girls here. I am from a very religious, conservative area of the US, where the majority of daddies wouldn't let their daughters go out dressed so poorly! (which is why I get a bit defensive when people blame the US for everything bad, when it is really, at most, a handful of highly populated - ultra liberal - cities that give the entire country a bad reputation).

Lana

niqaabi12

Salam

Even more unfortunately, I do not live in the west; I live in a self-proclaimed Muslim country (which impliments a lot of Sharia law) - that is what makes it worse in how the girls dress. Even the teen-aged girls that I teach - I ask them about wearing a headscarf, and most of them say "When I get married" or "when I have a baby". But by and far the biggest problem here in Kuwait, is girls wearing headscarves, but then also wearing a TON of make-up (some of them, seriously, look like they are trying our for the part of a clown at the circus - I don't know how they can look in the mirror and even say that is what they inteded to look like!), lots of jingly-jangly jewelry, plus the skin-tight clothes.

I never saw girls in my home area of the US dress anywhere NEAR as provocatively as the girls here. I am from a very religious, conservative area of the US, where the majority of daddies wouldn't let their daughters go out dressed so poorly! (which is why I get a bit defensive when people blame the US for everything bad, when it is really, at most, a handful of highly populated - ultra liberal - cities that give the entire country a bad reputation).

Lana
I agree that some so-called Muslim countries are as bad or worse than the West for how kids dress.
Alhamdulillah it is not always that bad and, answering the original question, a lot of girls here start wearing hijaab when they first go to school. I wore hijaab first when I was 6 or 7 but in my case I wanted to wear it earlier because my sisters did. Only when I understood WHY I wore hijaab did my father allow me to.
Maybe that should be the best way of judging this; wear hijaab when the girl can understand WHY she should and when she WANTS to do so for reasons of her deen.

ummuluqmaan

I personally do not see anything wrong with encouraging young sisters to wear some form of hijab wa Allahu huwa Ta'ala Al Alam. That said, when a sister (Mother) properly covers, then naturally her daugther(s) if raised in the proper with with Tawheed and Taqwah bi'itnillah, then they (her daughters) will want to wear proper hijab when she becomes of age and it become compulsory for her to wear hijab.

May Allah Jala Jalahu give is ALL the tawfiq to do acts and actions that are pleasing to Him Tabaraka wa Ta'ala, Ameen

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger

I personally love seeing toddlers in hijab. I think it's SUPER adorable and I know I'm going to want to do the same thing with my children inshAllah. I've literally seen 5 year olds wearing mini hijabs and abayas not because they were forced in any way, but because they wanted to dress like their mommies. And the wonderful thing about it, which actually facilitates their transition into wearing it permanently when reaching puberty, is that they get so much praise for it as children. People can't stop gushing over how adorable they look and they love that praise. Hence, this encourages them to cover up Islamically as they get older. Personally, I'd do this but I would never force my daughter to wear the hijab growing up. Hopefully, inshAllah, she'll have a positive sense of Islam as her culture and religion by then and she'll do it herself. :hearts:

palestine

Servant of Allah
i agree with what most of you said. however like in my school muslim girls have left their islamic identities. they do not pray or wear hijab, not all of them but most. why? because they feel uncomfortable and because the non muslims ask so many questions such isn't that hot? or oh my goodness you look like a ghost, or oh my you look pretty without hijab. then the girls even my own cousin drop their hijabs. because they want to please and impress their friends and do not want to look "baggy", but hey i want to keep being "baggy" as long as it pleases allah. cause you know what, hell is hotter and these people are clay like you and i. just a thought. more later. salam.

aisha-uk

Salam Alaikum

I agree that we should introduce the islamic dress code to our daughters as soon as possible, but not to force it upon them before puperty..
Although we live in the west and my eldest daughter, who is 4 yrs old, goes to a nursery without any other muslims, she loves the hijab, she has even worn the hijab to school, MashaAllah.. She loves islam with all her heart and she really enjoys talking about it, MashaAllah.. and when it comes to western style, she is quick to point out if a woman is showing too much, lol, u know all the women in mini skirts, tiny tops etc..

aisha-uk

oh and the story q8penpals wrote is horrible, i don't understand how they can allow them to dress like that... It's a few yrs since i was in kuwait, but back then i never came across anyone dressing like that and i was told it would never happen, SubhanAllah how things can change