Does Allah Allow this?

RandyJackson

Salam,

I remember when I used to attend church I would ask my ex-pastor to interpret some biblical texts. And sometimes, he'd avoid certain verses.

Do imams and scholars do the same? Or does Allah command us to KNOW every verse in the Quran?

If its like my old religion, what verses am I not allowed to mention? Thanks

Khuda Hafiz (special thanks to brother Sohail for teaching me this phrase)

DanyalSAC

Walaikum salaam -

Well, all the shuyuk at my masjid know the WHOLE Qur'an. They memorize it. I don't know any who avoid any ayat for any reason... at least, if they do I don't know about it :)

And I'm sorry I don't know what that phrase means...

Summer03

3doTs2sQuares
Asalamu alaikum,
from what I know, a scholar has the interpretations of the Holy Quran through the Hadith and scholarly opinions, it's found in ibn Katheer and such. I don't think an imam or
scholar for that matter has a choice to avoid interpretation because
it's already written in many authentic
books by scholars.

Also, sometimes they might say
not to ask certain questions because
it is knowledge that Allah swt
knows alone and we cannot comprehend it.

For example, like the
certain verses that start
with letters, like 'alif laam meem' ayah one in chapter one, u can ask a scholar
what the mean...they'll tell
you thier knowledge is only with Allah and I cannot answer.

So yea...

Hope
this helps. Salam.

RandyJackson

Thank you. So to my understanding, one who exerts any verse in particular is committing the same crime as adding a verse. Therefore we can conclude its blasphemy?

Because if I'm hiding a Quranic verse (or a line, or even just one word) from the world, I'm assuming that it is not worthy to reach the people's ears. But only Allah decides what is worthy and what is not. And if it's in the Quran, therefore it IS worthy. Acceptable logic.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullah

Do imams and scholars do the same? Or does Allah command us to KNOW every verse in the Quran?

Well it would probably depend on which Imaam or scholar you asked akhi. I mean this in the sense, that if they are a good scholar or Imaam and you ask for such a thing that they are not sure about they will tell you that they do not know. If it is avoided, it is not because they do not want to discuss the topic at hand (inshaAllaah), but since the Qur'aan is so eloquent and deep in meaning oft even Imaams need to go back and reference and read in order to discuss an interpretation of it - or which scholars felt this, or the most predominant opinion regarding it etc...

So if you want to know if Imams or scholars do this, then they may for those reasons, as well as those who sometimes have the titles of these positions but dont fulfill them (May Allaah protect us from such people) who thus may do the same things as your pastor! These people we must be careful of, who do not take the book of Allaah in its entirety but only part as brother Ayman mentioned the Jews were recorded having done even the time of the Prophet alayhi salaatu wa salaam.

But, in the case of Islaam - then no we do not have any 'Hidden' verses. Alhamdulillah there are many tafseer - or explanations by different scholars regarding the verses of Allaah, and some go through the Qur'aan verse by verse, part by part, not avoiding anything! For beginners Tafseer Ibn Katheer is definitely a great start, and has been translated into English if you'd like to look into that. It answers a lot of my questions whenever I'm confused about what a specific ayaah is referring to, or what occurrences related to that event.

So there are no verses you are not allowed to mention! Rather I encourage you to mention and learn about as many as you can. The Qur'aan is Allaah's words, how can we deny any part of them? Allaah is not like creation. He is above mistakes or faults, and each and every verse is perfect and has a precise reason.

If one scholar or Imaam doesnt know or wont answer you - then it is perhaps their limit in understanding or failing - either way dont get discouraged or believe that in Islaam we avoid or do not mention any verses, because that is definitely not the case.
Khuda Hafiz

And also on this point - if I may I would suggest avoiding saying this. Scholars have discouraged it as "Khuda" is not a name of Allah, and if you are seeking "Hifz/Hifdh" / protection in other than a name that Allah has given to Himself - it is considered wrong. Allaah is the ultimate protector and in Him alone we should seek security. Furthermore, it's also been said that "Khuda" is not only the farsi word for "God" but has also been attributed to the name of different Idols.

Taking all that into account, and the fact that Allaah did not advocate for this greeting, nor did his Prophet :saw: or Companions, leaves it clear that it does not really benefit us specifically in any way. Instead, if say in a converstaion we begin and end in salaam, this will not only serve as a greeting and/or goodbye but also gain us ajr / reward due to it! Who wouldnt want both of that? And at the same time avoid that which is discouraged?

I am sometimes confused or confounded by some who when you say salaam to, reply with "Khuda/Allah Hafiz". Honestly, we are told in the Qur'aan:

"When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally. Certainly, Allah is Ever a Careful Account Taker of all things. "
(An-Nisa 4:86)

So that is what we should do - give and return the best of greetings inshaAllaah, and as a Muslim it should definitely be the salaam! Check out some of these ahadeeth regarding the matter:

The Messenger of Allah (sallahu alayhi wa sallam) said "Should I not inform you of something that if you were to do it then you would love one another? Spread the salaam between yourselves." [Sahih Muslim]

The Virtues of Saying Salaam

That is definitely in speech - as for writing such as posts many people end with 'wa 'alaykum salaam' / 'wasalam' etc... if giving a ending. Allah hafiz - which is also another variation has, as far as I've seen, also been considered o.k. by the scholars since it is a name of Allaah, but regardless I feel salam is definitely best.

Allaah knows best.

Take care akhi, and I hope you keep on asking questions! May Allaah increase you in knowledge and understanding.

wasalam

Salem9022

Salam,

I remember when I used to attend church I would ask my ex-pastor to interpret some biblical texts. And sometimes, he'd avoid certain verses.

If its like my old religion, what verses am I not allowed to mention? Thanks

Khuda Hafiz (special thanks to brother Sohail for teaching me this phrase)

We memorize the whole Quran and rectie it during Ramadan that should tell you that nothing is hidden as far the Quran is concerned. We are told to memorize as much as possible. Also Khuda Hafiz is not an Islamic greeting its a South Asian greeting. Kudha is a Persian word and an old Idol which was worshipped by Persians. You should rather say Jazakullah Khair or Barak Allahu Feekoum or just Salaam alaiykum wa rahmtullah wabaraktu which is the sunnah.