Don't Blame Islam for Helen's Death

David Gould

I have pasted a link here to an article that I contributed to in our local paper. It has already been posted on another Islamic site and had a very positive response. http://www.cumberland-news.co.uk/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=409740 In the article which if someone more computer clever than me can copy and past here it would help. Please if you can foloow the link do read it.
Thanks David

‘Don’t blame Islam for Helen’s death’

published on 08/09/2006 - By Deborah Kuiper

[img=right]http://www.cumberland-news.co.uk/images/articles/fixed/150/0/20069723105335.jpeg[/img] Killed: Helen Jones was travelling to work when she died in the Kings Cross bombing on July 7 last year

[imgleft]http://www.cumberland-news.co.uk/images/articles/fixed/150/0/200697231011644.jpeg[/imgleft]Against prejudice: ‘I realised I wasn’t angry at the Muslim community, far from it,’ said David Gould, who has been researching the Islamic faith since Helen’s death

THE father of a Canonbie woman who died in the London bombings has broken his political silence to say we should not blame Islam for acts that were perpetrated by terrorists.

David Gould, whose step-daughter Helen Jones was killed in the Kings Cross bomb, has always resisted talking about his political views of the suicide bombers.

But now he has spoken out to repudiate attacks on the Islamic community.

He said: “Islam is a religion and a culture of great beauty where the true believer is bound by a code of ethics that forbids both murder and suicide. The majority of Muslims are both God-fearing and law-abiding and as such deserve our respect and understanding.”

He says we must not allow fear or blind prejudice to colour our view of the Muslim communities.

“On a local level we need to reject attacks on Muslim, Jewish or any community,” he said.

“As a society we always have to have a whipping boy or bogey man. Back in the 1980s it was the IRA. The new bogey man of the world seems to be Osama bin Laden and his henchmen.

“I know from personal experience from talking with Muslims that the vast majority would have nothing to do with that at all.”

Since Helen’s death last year, Mr Gould has been researching the Islamic faith and has started to study the Koran.

He said: “I don’t want to be prejudiced. I want to find out and listen to things from their perspective.

“Initially there was a moment of blind anger but afterwards I realised that that wasn’t real,” added Mr Gould.

“Yes, I was angry – someone had just murdered my daughter. It makes you angry. But once that passed I realised I wasn’t angry at the Muslim community, far from it.

“The Muslim community have suffered as well. Five of the victims were Muslims. That shows how random this attack was and the way it was targeted completely indiscriminately. The only aim was to kill without worrying who they were killing.

“They may have thought of it as an attack on Britain, but out of 52 victims, 19 of them were from a country of origin other than this one,” said Mr Gould. “Unfortunately all religions can inspire the lunatic fringe of fundamentalist zealots, who pervert the purity of a system of beliefs and advocate violence.

“Perhaps if we tried instead to understand our fellows and reached out in friendship toward them we could move nearer to the ideals of peace both locally and nationally.”

The Muslim Council of Great Britain was among the first official bodies to condemn the July 7 bombings.

Mr Gould said, “It was committed by criminals who, to quote from the Muslim Council’s statement, have been utterly condemned.

“I am a great supporter of the peace movement. We have got to learn to listen to people before we blame them.”

Abul Harith

Staff member
Hi David

I'll help you post your article up...:) It is a nice piece. I hope that through courageous people like yourself there be increased understanding of Islam.
The truth is irresistable. May it penetrate the hearts of those who seek it

Karima

Nice Post

Asalamualikum,

Thank you for this forum, and for printing out the words of the link. May Allah bless you both for this.

It would be nice if everyone in Government in America would take the time to understand how kind and generous the muslims really are...

“The Muslim community have suffered as well. Five of the victims were Muslims. That shows how random this attack was and the way it was targeted completely indiscriminately. The only aim was to kill without worrying who they were killing.

“They may have thought of it as an attack on Britain, but out of 52 victims, 19 of them were from a country of origin other than this one,” said Mr Gould. “Unfortunately all religions can inspire the lunatic fringe of fundamentalist zealots, who pervert the purity of a system of beliefs and advocate violence.

“Perhaps if we tried instead to understand our fellows and reached out in friendship toward them we could move nearer to the ideals of peace both locally and nationally.”

The Muslim Council of Great Britain was among the first official bodies to condemn the July 7 bombings.

Mr Gould said, “It was committed by criminals who, to quote from the Muslim Council’s statement, have been utterly condemned.

“I am a great supporter of the peace movement. We have got to learn to listen to people before we blame them.”[/
B]

Sallam

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
David Gould said:
“I am a great supporter of the peace movement. We have got to learn to listen to people before we blame them.”

Hi there David, we are with you on this...... However, our voices are ignored by the war mongers and people in power.

May Allah give the world peace soon and help all those who are being wronged wherever they may be.

David Gould

Perhaps the time for peace has come

Thank you for your kind words. And thank you for pasting the article. Sometimes I feel I should return to my workshop rather than try to operate these computers. But I persist as I think we have an important part to play in ensuring there is a legacyto hand on to our children.
I see from one post you say we cannot trust our political leaders to either listen or to put the case for peace. The problem I have with Bush/Blair is that they come to any negociations with unclean hands and with one behind their back. Unclean as they have the blood of so many innocent lives on them. One hand behind their back to hold a cluster bomb. I do not trust them.
If there is to be any hope it will come from us as all successful movements come from the people. If enough people want peace and believe it is achievable...and say so then it will come to pass. I get the feeling from a number of forums now that there is a ground swell of hope for peace. Like a breeze moving over a wheat field the voice of God is touching us. With His help we can do this.

mr. ok

Dear David

:bismillah:

Greetings Sir. How's everything going? I hope your fine. I cannot image what your going through or how it feels to loose a beloved one. I dont know what to say besides i am so sorry to hear such news. If i ever ought to catch a terrorist so called "Muslim" or not i would burn him/her to death. I dont know if this is allowed in Islam, however this is how i feel, angery and hurt from inside (not that i would do such thing).

Chris Hedges says in every single war he covered there was always a discourse of hatred that began before the war, that set that stage for that war, and the same thing is happening in the USA. Chris Hedges is someone who studied theology at Harvard University. He became a war correspondent for the New York Times (news paper). He spent 20 years in battlefields writing articles for the New York Times.

Governments try to justify everything they do so that its society does not question their authority. During times of war the media and the governments will only tell you what they want you to believe in. This is called propaganda. Their goal is to make their society believe in what they are doing is just and for good reasons. Governments use this strategy (propaganda) to make their enemy look monstrous, by doing so the governments create hatred so the soldiers strike with no mercy. By creating such atmosphere the society shows less sympathy towards the "enemy" and does not question its government.

I think your a warrior
because your still willing to learn about Islam after what happened to your step-dauther. After all what the media is saying, spreading propaganda and poisoning the minds of their society. You truely are a warrior and an amazing person because i dont meet open minded people so often now a these days. Its always good to know that there are people out there who care for the truth.

May Allah help you in finding what your seeking. :)

Best Regards,

Osama