Empty Masjid?!

zainsmommy

Assalamu Aleikom Brothers and Sisters and EID Mubarak! Insha'Allah everyone is having a wonderful day.

I was wondering if any of you can give me suggestions as to what to do about a particular situation.

The town I now live in was basically wiped out(more than 95%) when Hurricane Katrina came back in 2005. There was a Masjid here. When I used to live here years ago, I never payed attention to it because I didn't know anything about Islam or Muslims. It was just this building I'd see with these men coming and going dressed funny. (I was a child ok?)

Anyway, when I moved back I was kind of excited because I would finally have a Masjid only minutes away from me. Where I lived before I had to drive over an hour to get to one. This Masjid was given funding from the wonderful people of Kuwait to rebuild. There is a plaque on the outside of the building. It looks clean and perfectly fine from what I can tell and there is also a building next to it that is part of it I guess...maybe something to use for classes or whatever. Then there is a sign on the door handwritten that prayer is at 2pm(on fridays)

Well, last EID my husband was running a little late trying to get home for the Jummah before EID and he knew he was late but figured he'd just go to the Masjid here(he was going to go to a bigger one elsewhere because we were not familiar with the prayers times here) and when he arrived....EXACTLY at the right time-the doors where locked. Hmmm....so he goes around the building and there is a small dirty, dirty place that has taxi cabs everywhere and you can't even park and talks to this man about prayer. The man very casually says "oh maybe we will pray at 2 if people show up"

My husband was so UPSET and sad. He knew he did not have enough time to get to the other Masjid. So now here he was and he missed the prayer. Same thing happened on EID-same confusion about this Masjid.

I spoke to a friend of mine here and she said that those people who run the Masjid are weird. They make up their own prayer times and half the time they don't have it when it is the correct time, and they hold prayer in the small place around the corner that is all dirty instead of the Masjid. ANNNND...women are NOT ALLOWED!!

Now this upsets me. I mean, here out of the kindness and generosity of the Kuwaiti(sp?) people this Masjid was rebuilt and looks very good and yet, there is NO ONE there week after week? There are at least 40+ women here that would probably no doubt love to go to Jummah if given the chance right here in our own town instead of driving 35-40 minutes away...so why not at least allow the women in? Why not? Even if NO ONE ELSE COMES, the women will! And what about the men like my husband? It is hard for him to get off work when he is working nearby(he goes all over because of his job) and for him to be able to go right here, minutes from our home to pray would be so great! Even if he is the only man there! Why not?

It's so sad and it angers me. It makes me sooooo angry because there is a Masjid sitting EMPTY week after week? It shouldn't be. There are enough Muslims here to open it. Maybe not a huge population, but enough. Why keep it closed? I just don't understand.

I would like to know if any of you have any suggestions. I feel like writing a very angry but to the point letter to that man who seems to be in charge next door in that garbage can of a place and see who is the Imam of that Masjid and why it is not open. Do you think this is a good idea? I was so angry last EID you can't imagine! I felt so horrible for my husband. I am a new Muslim but for him, it was his FIRST time missing and there was NO reason for it?

It reminds me of the Hadith that states something about empty Masjids??? Not sure the one...if anyone has it, please attach here so that I can put it in my letter should I choose to write it.

I am too upset about this. Today is EID and when I passed that empty building this morning, all the feelings came back and I almost cried. What a shame and what a waste of money for the people of Kuwait.

revert-sister

Proud to be a MUSLIM
i feel sister you are right to be angry right angry
you right that letrer to the imam or better still go find him in person and you and your husband have a meeting with him and tell him exactly what you just told TTI because it brought an angry tear to my eye so it should to your imams
good luck

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

It sounds like there may not be an imam at this mosque. I would definitely call the mosque and inquire about who is in charge and why there is such poor planning. If a mosque states they do not allow women then frankly, I won't have anything to do with such a place. The Hadiths are very clear about not forbidding women to go to the mosque to pray and if the powers that be think they are above the commands of Rasool (peace be upon him) then I don't want to be near them.

Allah swt knows our hearts and our intentions, insh'Allah your husband will be doubly rewarded fro going through all the effort to pray his pray in Jummah.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

zainsmommy

Thank you for your responses!

I am at a loss? Honestly...I mean, even if only ONE person comes to the Masjid, then that should be enough. In my opinion. I am sure he would not be the only one though-IF THEY WOULD OPEN!

I don't know the whole situation of who is in charge. I asked my husband when he talked to that man who he was and like 101 questions...but you know men, he didn't know. He was too upset at the time so I dropped it.

I want to go over there, really I do but I am not sure who I would approach? Plus it looks scary and dirty lol- not the Masjid, it's nice and clean and open and the parking lot is big and off a highway so relatively safe.

And what if they do look down on me because I am a woman? Then what? Hmm...I totally agree with you Sister about not wanting to associate with people like that, but in this case...even though it's still wrong...I think that at least if they don't want to open it to men, then why not the women? At least let someone go there and make use of it.

Even if whoever runs it is discouraged because it's a waste of time for them to hold prayer when no one is there, that is no excuse to lock it. Fine, you don't want to hold the prayer because you are talking to yourself, then at least leave the doors open for others who may want to go in. For me? Walking in a Masjid brings a sense of serenity and peace. I often think of all the prayers that have been said in that place. All the tears of joy and happinees, sadness and fear that have fallen on that carpet and it just makes me feel comfort to be in a House of God-it's the only way I can think to say it. Like the many old ladies who walk in churches all throughout the day just to sit there, no one is giving any sermons but they find comfort there.

Oh well...I think I will write my letter. I will ask my husband again to stop by and ask for the name of the man in charge and address it to that person. Insha'Allah I will get a VERY GOOD explanation and even better, I will have caused them to open those doors. Insha'Allah

Thank you again!

zainsmommy

Just a quick question...I feel dumb...

Should I have said Jammat?

What is the difference?
Jummah -Jammat(not sure the spelling of the second one?)

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

I can't answer the Jumaah/Jumaat question since I don't knwo the answer, lol! However I would call first and ask to speak to whomever is in charge. If possible set up a meeting with the imam (if they even have one) with you and your husband. I would also come equipped with daleel (Quran and Hadith) printouts concerning the upkeep, openess, and women being allowed in the mosque. Keep your cool sister, when we show anger we are weak.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

zainsmommy

Salaam,

I can't answer the Jumaah/Jumaat question since I don't knwo the answer, lol! However I would call first and ask to speak to whomever is in charge. If possible set up a meeting with the imam (if they even have one) with you and your husband. I would also come equipped with daleel (Quran and Hadith) printouts concerning the upkeep, openess, and women being allowed in the mosque. Keep your cool sister, when we show anger we are weak.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Thank you! I will do that. I was just searching for two particular Hadiths to have.

I am angry now, and get loud here in my home when I am angry but when I am around others....I chicken out. I can never be a mad women in public. I shut down lol. People always complain because I talk so low, especially my husband...he says I am the only person he can't hear over the phone lol
So yeah...all that just to say that I agree, anger shows weakness so I will be composed.

Now I must go get the kids from school. I pass by there so I will look up the address. If I cannot get a phone number I think I will ask my son to walk in that other place and ask for me. He loves when I make him do things like that lol(really he hates it but never complains because he loves me :) )

So thank you all again!!! I'll be back later Insha'Allah

Assalamu Aleikom
p.s. Just a quick question for you Sister Sarah...my baby is breech:girl3: (and not much time left to turn)I soooo don't want a c-section for my last. I want to go natural like I did for the others. Any suggestions to make it turn? lol (I mean, have you heard of any while studying?)

revert-sister

Proud to be a MUSLIM
Salaam,

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Salaam sisters

this is a sound piece of advice sister and one you should follow,
make sure they know that you mean bussiness and that really want to pray and you want it open and will go to any leghths to see it happen as you entitled to use the mosques as men are.
"The believing men and women are protectors and helpers of each other. They (collaborate) to promote all that is good and oppose all that is evil; establish prayers and give charity, and obey Allah and his Messenger. Those are the people whom Allah would grant mercy. Indeed Allah is Exalted and Wise. (Al-Tawbah 9:71)

salaam sister yvette

BigAk

Just a quick question...I feel dumb...

Should I have said Jammat?

What is the difference?
Jummah -Jammat(not sure the spelling of the second one?)

Jum'ah is prob. what I would write...

As far as your situation, it is definitely sad to hear about this. I would first find out who the Imam is for this mosque and talk with him. There has to be someone in charge.. It's a matter of finding who he is.

Keep us updated with your progress. :salam2:

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
jannah = heaven
Jummah = fridasy prayer

i think please do correct me!

Jumaat- Friday
Jemaah or Jamaah- Congregation or group

Some people just say Jumaah prayers ( for friday prayers) because perhaps thats the only day/time they pray in congregation.

By the way , what is the name of the mosque. There are quite a number here from New Jersey.

butterflymuslima

To my sisters:

The closest masjid to me is 1 hr away and I've never seen anyone there? The next closest is in Atlanta 1 1/2 hr away. Hadiths state that a womans home is her masjid. I listen to live lectures twice daily at Sunnahfollowers.net and Eid Khutbah was today at 10:30, was amazing by Sheik Hasan. Try this and see. You log into the meeting room from the green square at the top of the home page. Hadith classes are daily @ 2:00 (sometimes 2:30) and Tawheed classes are nightly at 8 or 9 they will post time in meeting room! I have learned so much in just a short time, Insha'Allah you guys will also!

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
:salam2:
Eid Mubarak!

This is a very sad news to hear. I've never seen an empty Masjid before, it comes as a surprise to me. Alhamdulilah, all the Masjids are becomes full during Jumaa and other important days such Eid and Ramadan.

As far as I know, the Masajids are run by a committee (board of directors, whatever you want to call them), who over sees all the affairs of the masjid.
It seems like they do not even have a functioning committee.

Perhaps you can bring the issue to the attention of the other Masjid, and they may be familiar with the Muslims in your community and the incompetent Muslims who are neglecting their duties. You can go from there.

Not allowing women to go to the Masjid is very stupid and as far as I know they do not have any justification in Sharia (unless the Masjid is overcrowded and they have to make compromise, which is not the case here)

I pray that you're successful in doing something about this Masjid. Your concern and effort is very admirable!

:wasalam:

BigAk

:salam2:
Eid Mubarak!

This is a very sad news to hear. I've never seen an empty Masjid before, it comes as a surprise to me. Alhamdulilah, all the Masjids are becomes full during Jumaa and other important days such Eid and Ramadan.

:wasalam:

This also comes as a shock to me.... We have quite a few mosques here in the US where I live, and you can always find people coming and going... One mosque in the capital city; it gets so crowded that we have to offer three different times for Friday prayer and khutba.. and this is despite the fact that the mosque is HUUUGE... state of the art building with indor athletic court always full of kids playing. It brings so much joy to my heart to see our community growing constantly...

To hear about empty mosques in different parts of the country breaks my heart.