Euthanasia

pyjama

Salaam everyone.

There has been a case here in italy where a girl had an accident 17 years ago and has been in a coma until this week, when her parents decided to put a stop to it all. What do u people think about euthanasia? What has Islam to say on it?

Thank you.

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
Salaam everyone.

There has been a case here in italy where a girl had an accident 17 years ago and has been in a coma until this week, when her parents decided to put a stop to it all. What do u people think about euthanasia? What has Islam to say on it?

Thank you.
:wasalam:

I am amazed by this news. But can you clarify me what is euthanasia?

wassalam

-brother IbnAdam-

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

This would not be considered euthanasia (which is forbidden in Islam) but discontinuing life support. They are not killing this female so much as not letting her stay in a vegetative state. Euthanasia basically means hastening the death in a person by procuring a lethal dose of medication.

I've read fatwas that Muslims are allowed to withdraw life support in the case where the patient is basically dead and being kept breathing by machines.

Septithol. there are much better drugs for the handeling of pain aside from herion. Herion actually has some brutal side effects and can cause a great deal of pain during withdrawal. An anesthegiologist has all kinds of new and fascinating drugs that can stop pain and even leave the patient lucid. And while euthaniasia might be deemed "illegal" there is a protocol in hospice care that is followed where the lethal dose of morphine can be administered over three days and skirts the law as it is not done in one dose. The patient will die in their sleep, absent of pain. (this can be done in profoundly terminal cases where the patient is in excruciating pain)

Wasalaam

farhopes

No God but Allah
Assalamo alikom

Well, I have heard of people who came out of long coma. So, I think people who are responsible for the person in coma should wait to be sure that their patient's chances for coming back is no longer there. I think doctors can determine that. If doctors said that the patient will not come out of it and will always depend on machines to keep breathing, then it would never be considered killing to stop those machines.

As for when a person is afflicted by harm and think to end his life because he can no longer bear it. The prophet peace be upon him said:

(198) Narrated Anas: Allah's Apostle said," None of you should long for death because of a calamity that had befallen him, and if he cannot, but long for death, then he should say, 'O Allah! Let me live as long as life is better for me, and take my life if death is better for me.' " (Book #75, Hadith #362)

fada_all

Salaam everyone.

Thank you.

salam alikom

i think euthunisia is forbidden in islam because it is considered as an indirect kind of commiting suicide or killing....

i thing the case of Sharon is a good example .he is dead person but still living by breathing machine up till now...

and allah konws more

salam alikom