Fasting

Valerie

I have some questions if I may...

Since I'm still learning (lots more to learn) I really need help on something, regarding fasting.

I understand what should not be done from sunrise to sundown, but the details are a bit fuzzy for me.

Right now take several medications at different times during the day (I do take a multivitamin too, though, before breakfast). That'll break fast, right?

My main concern, though, isn't really eating, it's water. I work out a lot (5 days a week, more if I'm not exhausted at the end :) ), and I'm concerned about dehydration. Should I give up exercising when I fast?

I'm trying to think ahead so that I'm not frustrated when I get there :)

Thanks for your time :)

Ashima33

Salaam Valerie,

I'm not for sure about the medication. Hopefully someone else will have more knowledge regarding that.

But as far as exercise goes.... you do need to take it easy during ramadan. Don't completely eliminate exercise, but you probably don't want to do anything extreme like what you're doing now. You will still want to do light forms of exercise like taking walks and stretching. The first week will probably be the hardest because your body will be getting used to it. Once this happens, you may be able to increase your exercise more... but for the most part... just know that during Ramadan, you will want to cut back.

Valerie

Thank you, I appreciate the help. The multivitamin is the only one I take because I want to... the other stuff is prescribed by my doctor..

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
As-salamu 'Aleykum sis Val!

This must be your first Ramadaan- I'm soo Excited for you:biggrin::biggrin:
You'll LoVe the experience- Insha'allah!:) The Best month of the year is always 'Ramadaan'!!..May Allah get you through this and the ones to come Insha'allah:).

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Salam alaikum

some words about fasting that can I share:
Its not fasting that, for what we cant do that and that...such and such
fasting is for to not do what we want,to limit our desires,so that our desires dont rule upon us.
Why Allah SWT wants us to fast?....to torture us?
no brothers and sisters.....He wants us to guard our eeman,to protect our eeman.
we have to understand what is fasting and whatat is the purpose.
I hope that everyone will take the right purpose of fasting....

Jazakallahu Khair Valerie
wassalamu alaikum

weakslave

If you get dehydrated during a fast, you must break and ransom it.

Where is the evidence for this?

While a person is fasting, he is dehydrated. There are different levels of dehydration. A person can survive three days without water, so less than 10 hours or 15 hours is still well with in what would be considered safe.

Please see this for more information: http://islamqa.com/en/ref/12488

Fasting is about exerting effort into abstaining from all evils and permissible acts that are not beneficial, and giving up consuming anything. It's hard work, but Allaah makes it easy for His slaves. At times during a fast, a person might feel hungry, drowsy, tired and so on these are not reasons to break a fast.

A Muslim is rewarded based on the hardship they face and the effort they exert. The more difficulty there is in doing a good deed, the more reward from Allaah inshaAllaah.

Breaking the fast without reason: http://islamqa.com/en/ref/60296

With regard to whether it is obligatory to make up the fasts, it depends.

If you broke the fast because you thought that it was permissible to do so because of the exams, then you have to make it up, because you are excused for this mistaken thinking, and you did not deliberately commit a haraam action.

But if you broke your fast and you knew that it was haraam to do so, then you have to repent and regret this sin, and resolve not to commit this grave sin again.

As for making it up, if you broke the fast during the day after having started to fast, then you have to make it up, but if you did not fast at all...

This is a serious matter in the time of Ramadhaan. Breaking a fast is not light matter, and one must truely be convinced they have a valid reason to do so otherwise we will never be given the opportunity to make up that missed fast again. The only way out would be to ask Allaah's forgiveness and hope that He accepts.

And Allaah knows best.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister, I can not fast every day. I fast four days and then I have to rest and sleep. If not I pass out. I can not drive. I start over. In other months I try to fast on Mondays and Thursdays but it is very difficult for me. I have a hypersensitive body to medication. This is to let you know..Allah subhana talla knows the intentions of my heart. I ask Allah's forgiveness for my physical weakness.
Fasting is a blessing. The food one prepares never ends. It multiplies. The joy of Muslims praying into the wee hours of the night gives us more energy. Simple me just wants to clap and sing. I do clap at the masjid and my sisters just come and kiss me.
Get your body ready for fasting. See if your physician can change the hours of your medicine intake. And make dua that Insha'Allah will give you the blessings of being able to fast. Insha'Allah I will make dua for you.

Valerie

Thank you everyone for your help :) I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

This is a bit off topic, but I have another question. Regarding Mondays and Thursday fasting, why? I'm not questioning, but I"m just curious the reason behind it. I saw the fasting M/Th thread, but not the reason.

Thank you :)

saba_faruquie

all the excercises and meds.....inshallah d fast will do good to u if u aint in a serious condition, so actually it helps to fast

2:184

to fast is to do good unto yourselves - if you but knew it. -

2:185 Ramadhan is the (month) in which was sent down the Qur'an, as a guide to mankind, also clear (Signs) for guidance and judgment (Between right and wrong). So every one of you who is present (at his home) during that month should spend it in fasting, but if any one is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period (Should be made up) by days later. Allah intends every facility for you; He does not want to put to difficulties. (He wants you) to complete the prescribed period, and to glorify Him in that He has guided you; and perchance ye shall be grateful.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
If you're going to work out 5 days a week, then definitely cut back since you won't be drinking water and will be abstaining from any type of intake.

However, (and this is just what suits ME so it might not work with everyone) when I work out I do it without drinking water most of the time. And it's usually 3 times a week. So I don't have an issue working out without water.

Point? If you need to drink water during your workout, don't work out. If you must work out, cut back on your hours and keep it light :)