Flat Earth?

Raihan

Pagan logic against the Qur'an!

Argument from flat earth: The Qur'an says, "Who hath appointed the earth as a bed and hath threaded roads for you therein and hath sent down water from the sky and thereby We have brought forth divers kinds of vegetation." (20:53)

Therefore, the Qur'anic God thought that the earth is flat as the earth has been compared with bed! LOL! But wait a moment! Although the 'shape' of the earth appears to be 'circular' but my bed is 'rectangular'! So, the Qur'anic God didn't intend to compare the 'shape of the earth' with the 'shape of my bed' in the first place! Therefore, the Qur'an cannot be the revelation from God! Otherwise I will be proven wrong, unless I have already made a 'circular bed' in my room secretly!

Moreover, I never read the verse 84:3-4 that talks about the Last Day:

"And when the earth is flattened out, and casts forth what is in it and becomes empty."

So, if the earth is already flat, according to verse 20:53, for example, then how would it be flattened out again and becomes empty? What a logical person I am, you see!

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

I'm sorry, the wording is very different. But could you clarify the point of the post akhi?

Jazakillah khayr

wasalam

soeurette

I think he's trying to say that someone trying to disprove the Qur'an would say that in comparing the earth to a bed, it is saying that the earth is there for flat and rectangular, however this said person he's imitating hasn't read the lines about the last day where the earth flattens out and empties, which would prove that the Qur'an doesn't say the earth is flat...Atleast thats what I think he is trying to say

Zafran

Muslim Brother
[/I]salaam

from http://www.quran-islam.org/101.html English translation of Dr. Rashad Khalifa

[20:53] He is the One who made the earth habitable for you, and paved in it roads for you. And He sends down from the sky water with which we produce many different kinds of plants.

http://www.mlivo.com/translations/Qaribullah.htm Translated by Qaribullah, Hassan and Darwish, Ahmed,

[20.53] It is He who has made for you the earth as a cradle and threaded
roads for you and sends down water from the sky with which We bring forth
every kind of plant.

Other translations

YUSUFALI: "He Who has, made for you the earth like a carpet spread out; has enabled you to go about therein by roads (and channels); and has sent down water from the sky." With it have We produced diverse pairs of plants each separate from the others.

PICKTHAL: Who hath appointed the earth as a bed and hath threaded roads for you therein and hath sent down water from the sky and thereby We have brought forth divers kinds of vegetation,

SHAKIR: Who made the earth for you an expanse and made for you therein paths and sent down water from the cloud; then thereby We have brought forth many species of various herbs.

END OF QURANIC TRANSLATION.

so you see the Quran does not say the earh is flat but is made as a place where we can live travel , gain water and where plants grow.

the earth is spherical by the way not a circle.

Raihan

:salam2:

I'm sorry, the wording is very different. But could you clarify the point of the post akhi?

Jazakillah khayr

wasalam
Bro/Sis soeurette has already explained what I wanted to mean. Some critics quote the verse 20:53, for example, and claim that the Qur'anic God thought that the earth is flat, as the earth has been compared with bed. But they never realized the fact that beds are always flat and rectangular in shape but the earth appears to be flat and circular. So, the Qur'anic God didn't intend to compare the 'shape of the earth' with the 'shape of bed'. Rather it means habitable or comfortable place.

Moreover, according to verse 84:3-4 that talks about the Last Day, the earth will be flattened out and will also become empty. So, if the earth is already flat, according to verse 20:53, then how would it be flattened out again and becomes empty? In fact, the verse 84:3-4 proves that the earth is spherical, and not flat. Because a flat earth cannot be flattened out again and cannot be emptied either!