Folded pants during salat - what does it mean?

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:salam2:
I've heard that the Prophet :)saw:) said that folding pants during Salat made the salat invalid (as narrarated by Sahih Muslim).

What does folding the pants mean? Does that mean taking the hems of the pants and bringing them up so that the inside of the pants are folded up over the outside? Or does it mean both that and crumpling up the pants (by taking your hands, wrapping them tightly around your legs, and bringing the hems up)?

Thanks!
:wasalam:

acedoc

Issue of garment (pants) below the ankles for men

The hadeeth, “There is no prayer for the one who lets his garment hang below his ankles”, and the ruling on the prayer of one who lets his garment hang below his ankles

Question:
I heard a hadeeth in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “There is no prayer for the one who lets his garment hang below his ankles.” Does this refer to the one who does that when praying or the one who does that in his daily life?.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It was reported in a hadeeth narrated by Abu Dawood that Abu Hurayrah said: “Whilst a man was praying with his izaar (lower garment/pants) hanging below his ankles, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Go and do wudoo’.”… He said, “He was praying with his izaar hanging below his ankles, and Allaah does not accept the prayer of a man who lets his izaar hang below his ankles. (Narrated by Abu Dawood, al-Salaah, 543. This was classed as da’eef (weak) by al-Albaani in Da’eef Sunan Abi Dawood, no. 124).

With regard to the validity of prayer, Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen was asked about that and he said: If the garment is hanging down below the ankles, then it is haraam, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Whatever part of the izaar (lower garment) is hanging down below the ankles is in the Fire.” What the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said concerning the izaar also applies to other types of clothing.

Based on this, a person has to lift his thobe (galabiyah) or other garments to be above his ankles. If he prays in it when it is below his ankles, then there is a difference of opinion among the scholars as to whether his prayer is valid.

Some of them think that his prayer is valid, because this man has done what is obligatory, i.e., covering his ‘awrah.

Some of them think that his prayer is not valid, because he has covered his ‘awrah with a haraam garment. They say that one of the conditions of covering the ‘awrah is that the garment worn should be permissible. So a man is in danger if he prays in a garment that comes down below his ankles; he should fear Allaah and raise his garment so that it will be above his ankles.

Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, part 12, p. 306

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

acedoc

Claification: lower garment during prayer for women

Asalamu Aalikum wa Rahmatullah wa Barakatuh

It must be clarified here that a sister must not uncover their ankles during prayer (salat). The ruling for having the pants (lower garments) above your ankles ONLY applies for men. Sisters must be covered from head to toes (literally). Because a woman's feet (certainly her ankles) are part of AWRAH (part of the body that must be covered by Islamic law)

As a matter of fact some scholars say that a woman's prayer is not valid without covering her feet (with socks). There is certainly evidence (from hadith for that ruling (please see below).

Ruling concerning women covering their feet in prayer

Question:
What is the proof that women have to cover their feet during prayer for prayer to be accepted?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

The free woman who has attained the age of majority is obliged to cover her entire body during prayer, apart from her face and hands, because all of her is ‘awrah. If she prays and any part of her ‘awrah becomes uncovered, such as a shin or foot or all or part of her head, then her prayer is invalid, because the Prophet said:
"Allaah will not accept the prayer of a woman who has started to menstruate, except with a khimaar (covering)" (Reported by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, Ibn Maajah and al-Tirmidhi, with a saheeh isnaad)

Abu Dawud reported from Umm Salamah that she asked the Prophet about a woman who prayed wearing a dir’ (chemise or upper garment) and a khimaar (head cover), but no izaar (lower garment). He said: "The woman is ‘awrah."

As for the face, the Sunnah is to uncover it during prayer, so long as no non-mahram men are present. According to the majority of scholars, the feet must be covered; some scholars allow uncovering the feet but the majority say the opposite. Abu Dawud reported from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that she was asked about a woman who prayed in a khimaar and qamees (dress or gown). She said, "There is nothing wrong with it if the dir’ (chemise) covers her feet." In any case, it is better to cover the feet, to be on the safe side. As far as the hands are concerned, there is more leeway: there is nothing wrong with either covering them or uncovering them, although some scholars think that it is better to cover them. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, by Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, p. 57

acedoc

you are welcome

wa Iyyak [and may Allah reward you as well] ya akhi

Note: it is from the behavior of a muslim to say (wa Iyyak) when a brother says Jazzak Allah khairan to you (may Allah reward you for the good (that you have done)

Naasih

salaah

as salaamu alaikum

I think the sis is refering to a hadeeth which is not about the topic you think? The hadeeth is that the prophet forbade us to rolling up garments in salaah. ie rolling the trousers or sleeves in the prayer. The prophet prayed with his garments onrolled and lose. This is also funny because the prophet forbade wearing the trousers or any garment for the men below the ankles in the salaah and outside the salaah. Some people think its restricted to the salaah so you see them rolling thier trousers up before the salaah then rolling them back down after! I have heard people say that it is only haram if you do this out of pride etc etc which is also wrong and they use the hadeeth of abu bakr when the prophet informed him that he is not proud. He told him this because abu Bakr's garment fell below his ankles while he was praying. What is funnt is that they only qoute or have been qouted this section of the hadeeth and not the whole hadeeth which would put the issue into context. When abu Bakr would pray his garment would sometimes fall below his ankles so he said to the prophet, I am a very skinny man so sometimes when I pray my garment falls below my ankles AND I TRY TO HOLD IT UP. So the prophet informed him that he was of those didnt do this out of pride.

Allaah knows best

acedoc

hadith?

as salaamu alaikum
I think the sis is refering to a hadeeth which is not about the topic you think? The hadeeth is that the prophet forbade us to rolling up garments in salaah. ie rolling the trousers or sleeves in the prayer. The prophet prayed with his garments onrolled and lose.
Allaah knows best [/QUOTE

Walaikum salam wa Rahmatullah wa Barakatuh

Brotehr can you kindly document your source which specific hadith are you refferig to here. I have never heard of any such hadith..pardon my ignorance, But I refuse to accept the existence of any such hadith until you can give me the source.

was salamualikum wa rahmatullah

dexter

:wasalam: :salam2:

Hi Bros and Sis

once I was talking to an imam in the mosque who asked me to raise my trousers in the prayers because of concerns with pride.

Standing in front of God in prayers required a surrendering attitude with fear of the Might of God. So that led to the interference. Out of the prayers I see no connection. However, God knows the best and there may be many sources of hadiths but the Quran says it clear that God dislikes the "Mustakbiroon" or the proud and high headed ones...

God knows best and may he guide our hearts from uncertainty to the certain path of his divine revelation.

Globalpeace

Banned
Making Fun of Sunnah!

Asslamo Allaikum,

Going off the Tangent!

I find it sickening that in our culture (Pakistan) there are people who make fun of this Sunnah and taunt the person who is practising it as “You going to a flooded Area”, “Showing your legs around”…etc. etc. etc.

I always ask people to at least RESPECT the Sunah and WATCH what they say!

Solemn_G

As-salaamu alaikum

I was wondering if this hadeeth meant that we have to keep our pants above our ankles ALL the time, not just while we are praying. Also, I was wondering what below the ankles means?Does it mean so that it scrapes against the ground or that it should literally be high above your ankles, because my pants are rather long since I'm a tall guy so I'll have to pull them up REALLY high.

Salaam

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:salam2:
Solemn - From what I've read on the net, the pants must be above the ankles at all times. I'm guessing it literally means above the ankles.

I feel your pain; I was "in-style" so I had all my pants hang below my ankles. Now I have to fold them up and they look weird. Especially when wearing a jogging suit.

fahim_mmm

It has been observed since some years people have started folding there lower garments during the Namaz.

But when we checked history never in islam any believing imam(leader) had ever practiced or ordered to do so.

According to Ahle sunnat wal jamaat :

If pant's bottoms are at ankle it is not allowed to fold them to perform namaz, perform the Namaz without folding them. If pant's hems are kept below ankles because of pride, it is HARAM, in this case Namaz will be Makrooh-e-Tehreemi (Wajib to repeat Namaz) otherwise it's only Makrooh-e-Tanzeehi which is Khilafe Aula in Namaz. Same is written in Fatawa-e-Rizvia in part three on page 448. In case of folding the pants hems in Namaz will definitely be Makrooh-e-Tehreemi which will make it Wajib to perform the Namaz again. It's in Hadees *. Rasool Allah Sallallahu Alaihe Wasslam said:" I was ordered that not to fold hair and cloth (In Namaz)" ted in Darr-e-Mukhtar with Shami Part one page 473. art one, Page 137)-Allah Ta'ala Knows the best.

And when we check why Ahle sunnat wal jamaat gives that fatwa is because of the following hadtith:

Book 004, Number 0993: (Sahih Muslim)

Ibn 'Abbas reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) had been commanded to prostrate on seven (bones) and forbidden to fold back hair and clothing.

And

Sahih al-Bukhari: Volume 1, Book 12, Number 773

Ibn Abbas (radiAllahu anhu) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu alaihi wa aalihi wa sallam) was ordered [by Allah, Subhanahu wa Ta'Ala] to prostrate on seven parts and not to tuck up the clothes or hair [while praying]. Those parts are: the forehead [along with the tip of nose], both hands, both knees, and [toes of] both feet.[end]

hope its enough , When hadiths say it than you should avoid it.

So one should always get the lower garments above ankles and if it is below ankles one should not fold instead remove the pride and offer namaz it will be Makrooh-e-Tanzeehi and not Makrooh-e- Tehreemi.

islamdonlyway

assalamualikum,

soo pants should be ubove ankles all the time not just in prayer? and iv heard people saying that, those people who fold the garment JUST IN PRAYER, and then after prayer fold it back down, show more arrogance ? becouse i find it really hard to go university and just out with my garment folded above ankle, but isit better to fold it up in prayers or should i just leave it the way it is? becouse after prayer most likely il fold it back down :( .....

fahim_mmm

assalamualikum,

soo pants should be ubove ankles all the time not just in prayer? and iv heard people saying that, those people who fold the garment JUST IN PRAYER, and then after prayer fold it back down, show more arrogance ? becouse i find it really hard to go university and just out with my garment folded above ankle, but isit better to fold it up in prayers or should i just leave it the way it is? becouse after prayer most likely il fold it back down :( .....

Assalamualaikum,

Brother pants should not be folded,It should be above ankle but wihtout folding them . It has been observed since some years people have started folding there lower garments during the Namaz.

But when we checked history never in islam any believing imam(leader) had ever practiced or ordered to do so.

If pant's bottoms are at ankle it is not allowed to fold them to perform namaz, perform the Namaz without folding them. If pant's hems are kept below ankles because of pride, it is HARAM, in this case Namaz will be Makrooh-e-Tehreemi (Wajib to repeat Namaz) otherwise it's only Makrooh-e-Tanzeehi which is Khilafe Aula in Namaz. Same is written in Fatawa-e-Rizvia in part three on page 448. In case of folding the pants hems in Namaz will definitely be Makrooh-e-Tehreemi which will make it Wajib to perform the Namaz again. It's in Hadees *. Rasool Allah Sallallahu Alaihe Wasslam said:" I was ordered that not to fold hair and cloth (In Namaz)" ted in Darr-e-Mukhtar with Shami Part one page 473. art one, Page 137)-Allah Ta'ala Knows the best.

And when we check why Ahle sunnat wal jamaat gives that fatwa is because of the following hadtith:

Ibn 'Abbas reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) had been commanded to prostrate on seven (bones) and forbidden to fold back hair and clothing.

And

Ibn Abbas (radiAllahu anhu) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu alaihi wa aalihi wa sallam) was ordered [by Allah, Subhanahu wa Ta'Ala] to prostrate on seven parts and not to tuck up the clothes or hair [while praying]. Those parts are: the forehead [along with the tip of nose], both hands, both knees, and [toes of] both feet.[end]

So one should always get the lower garments above ankles and if it is below ankles one should not fold instead remove the pride and offer namaz it will be Makrooh-e-Tanzeehi and not Makrooh-e- Tehreemi.

islamdonlyway

Assalamualaikum,

Brother pants should not be folded,It should be above ankle but wihtout folding them . It has been observed since some years people have started folding there lower garments during the Namaz.

And

jazakallah for the info, i understand fully ! may allah reward you :). its really hard to have the garment ubove ankle always in the western countries....but ofcourse we should fear allah then anyone and listen to his command and our prophets (pbuh), inshallah make dua that i start doing it... very hard :(