Gardens of the Qur'an - Young Tajik Huffâdh

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
... Listen to Syed Jafar (5:41 mark). He has amazing recitation maa shaa' Allaah, from the little we can hear!

[yt]FaeGpCKEHlg[/yt]

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

:jazaak: MashaAllaah what a beautiful sight (despite the rocking tick!), May Allaah bless them and increase them in knowledge and understanding. Ameen.

I love how they still focus on good pronunciation even at a young age, I've seen some places were that gets neglected because they are 'young' ... but that's the best stage to correct sounds.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Wa`alaykum us-salaam warahmatullaah

From what I've read, the rocking tick isn't problematic, when it's natural that is. Sh. Salih Al-Munajjid says that it's imitation of the Jews in their worship and shouldn't be done deliberately,

"As for swaying when reciting Qur’aan or praying, this is habit of the Jews in their worship, so the Muslim should not do it deliberately."
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/2260/

But the Permanent Committee's verdict seems far more insightful...

"There is nothing wrong with the movement of swaying back and forth during the recitation of the Holy Qur'an. Such movement is not an act of worship and hence it is not an innovation in religion. It is merely a habit and the prohibited innovations should be related to religion as the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: Whoever innovates (a thing) in our affair (religion), it is rejected. Reported by Al-Bukhari and Imam Muslim. In a narration by Imam Muslim, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: Whoever performs an act in disconformity with our affair (religion), it is rejected."
http://qurancomplex.com/qfatwa/display.asp?f=126&l=eng&ps=subFtwa

Yeah, watching this again (I watched it a few times months back) has reminded me on the importance of tajwîd!

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalaamu 'alaykum

Ahh barakAllaahu feek for the fatawa, it's good to get a better understanding for this, and I was actually looking up on it a while back. I agree it is quite natural and I haven't heard anyone actually say it's not allowed, but a few people have claimed that it might be disliked if it becomes so much of a habit that a person rocks in his salaah (due to the habit while reciting). But again it's just what I've heard.

I have however noticed many people rocking in the salaah. I don't know if can be directly connected with the recitation - but is there a different ruling on this or does it apply in the same manner?

Ibn Uthaymin

From what I've read, the rocking tick isn't problematic, when it's natural that is. Sh. Salih Al-Munajjid says that it's imitation of the Jews in their worship and shouldn't be done deliberately,

"As for swaying when reciting Qur’aan or praying, this is habit of the Jews in their worship, so the Muslim should not do it deliberately."

But the permenant committee's verdict seems far more insightful...

"There is nothing wrong with the movement of swaying back and forth during the recitation of the Holy Qur'an. Such movement is not an act of worship and hence it is not an innovation in religion. It is merely a habit and the prohibited innovations should be related to religion as the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: Whoever innovates (a thing) in our affair (religion), it is rejected. Reported by Al-Bukhari and Imam Muslim. In a narration by Imam Muslim, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: Whoever performs an act in disconformity with our affair (religion), it is rejected."

Yeah, watching this again (I watched it a few times months back) has reminded me on the importance of tajwîd!

Oh Jazakallhu khyr for that. The Shayklh in the local masjid said it was taken from the Jews too.

Well, its become a habit , so im not changing :)

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member

But the permenant committee's verdict seems far more insightful...

Much appreciated post. The second extract is in accordance to my own reasoning about the issue and Im glad I've read it now. I began to sit right back against the walls to prevent myself from it because it had become a habit since childhood, but I also used to think 'How is that an act of worship anyway?' Although I prevented myself, I thought it had been taken out of proportion quite signifcantly.

There is no absolute requirement in any other act of worship to remain as still as possible as there is in the Salaah, so I think it would be difficult for the habit to transfer to ones Salaah unless a person lacks concentration/ self-awareness.

Anyways JazakAllaah khayr.

Wa-salaam

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Much appreciated post. The second extract is in accordance to my own reasoning about the issue and Im glad I've read it now. I began to sit right back against the walls to prevent myself from it because it had become a habit since childhood, but I also used to think 'How is that an act of worship anyway?' Although I prevented myself, I thought it had been taken out of proportion quite signifcantly.

There is no absolute requirement in any other act of worship to remain as still as possible as there is in the Salaah, so I think it would be difficult for the habit to transfer to ones Salaah unless a person lacks concentration/ self-awareness.

Anyways JazakAllaah khayr.

Wa-salaam

As-salaamu `alaykum

Baarak Allaahu feeki. Well said about the salaah. I think that sometimes, we get too defensive over things we see that aren't from the Qur'aan or Sunnah. I guess we seem to forget sometimes that habits are just that; habits. Allaah knows best.