Hadeeth and Quran

converttobe

As someone learning about Islam on my path to conversion, I would like to understand what the relative importance of the Quran and the Hadeeth is.

Many of my Muslim friends seem to value the Hadeeth much less than the Quran. I've noticed that the widely-discussed criticisms of Islam often involve Hadeeth rather than Quranic verses.

A typical example is the value of women. For example:

Sahih Muslim, Book 001, Number 0142:

It is narrated on the authority of 'Abdullah b. Umar that the Messenger of Allah observed: O womenfolk, you should give charity and ask much forgiveness for I saw you in bulk amongst the dwellers of Hell. A wise lady among them said: Why is it, Messenger of Allah, that our folk is in bulk in Hell? Upon this the Holy Prophet observed: You curse too much and are ungrateful to your spouses. I have seen none lacking in common sense and failing in religion but (at the same time) robbing the wisdom of the wise, besides you. Upon this the woman remarked: What is wrong with our common sense and with religion? He (the Holy Prophet) observed: Your lack of common sense (can be well judged from the fact) that the evidence of two women is equal to one man, that is a proof of the lack of common sense, and you spend some nights (and days) in which you do not offer prayer and in the month of Ramadan (during the days) you do not observe fast, that is a failing in religion.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/muslim/001.smt.html#001.0142

The above is quite shocking to many people. My question is: how much value should/does it have to Muslims given that it is not sourced from the Quran itself?

Thank you.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Hello, Please see the following regarding what hadith are and the importance of them in Islam.

What Are the Quran And Sunnah? Why Do Muslims Have To Follow This?

Important: The Science of Hadith, What Are Hadith?

The Quran is God's true word that were revealed to the Prophet :saw: from Angel Gabriel. The authentic Hadith are obligatory to follow and believe in.

Acting in accordance with a sound Hâdîth is obligatory as the Almighty says: “So take what the Messenger assigns to you and deny yourselves that which he withholds from you.” (Qur’ân 59:7) Allâh ’s Messenger r said: “Hold fast to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly guided Caliphs. Stick to them.” (Sound Hâdîth, Ahmad)

We should hold on to the Qur’ân and should not dispense with the Hâdîth. Allâh the Almighty says: “And we have sent down unto you (also) the Message: that you may explain clearly to men what is sent for them.” (Qur’ân 16:44) Allâh ’s Messenger r said: “Verily, I have been given the Qur’ân and a likeness of it with it (i.e. the Sunnah).” (Sound Hâdîth, Abu Dawud and others)

We should turn to the Book of Allâh (the Holy Qur’ân ) and the Sound Tradition of the Prophet (the Sunnah). Allâh The Almighty says: “If you differ in anything among yourselves, refer it to Allâh and His Messenger if you do believe in Allâh and the Last Day: that is best and most suitable far final determination.” (Qur’ân 4:59) Allâh ’s Messenger r said: “Hold fast to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly guided Caliphs and stick to them.” (Sound Hâdîth, Ahmad)

HOW DO YOU LOVE ALLÂH AND HIS MESSENGER?
Answer: Love them by following them and obeying their commands. The Almighty says: “Say: if you do love Allâh , follow me: Allâh will love you and forgive you your sins: For Allâh is Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful.” (Qur’ân 3:31) Allâh ’s Messenger r said: “None of you (truly) believes until I become dearer to him than his son, father and all people.” (Agreed Upon)

As for the Hadith that you mentioned. It is an authentic hadith. Unlike the Western world which distorts reality Islam explains it how it is.

There is equality infront of God. Men and women will be infront of Allah (SWT) and asked the same regards to the way they conducted their lives.

However, Women are different from men. And each has their own characteristic and role in life.

Women are allowed to work, get education have freedom to choose who they marry, buy/sell land etc.

However, women are physically and psychologically different to men. With the silly feminist movements today which go beyond the realm of asking for justice for women, but try to equate men and women as equal in all aspects. - That is simply not the case.

Women's emotions change at times during their period, pre-mentrual, pregnancy, after child-birth, during menopause and even after. - Its for this reason that women are not allowed in Islam to be in command of the Muslims (which also means being incharge of the armed forces etc)

You can Read More About these differences here:

Why Two Women Witnesses?

So, Islam mentions the differences. But, both men and women have equal opportunity for pleasing God.

Quran Surah Al Imran: 3:195
((So their Lord accepted of them (their supplication and answered them), "Never will I allow to be lost the work of any of you, be he male or female. You are (members) one of another.. ))

Surah Ghafir 40:40:

"Whosoever does an evil deed, will not be requited except the like thereof, and whosoever does a righteous deed, whether male or female and is a true believer (in the Oneness of Allâh), such will enter Paradise, where they will be provided therein (with all things in abundance) without limit."

One of the largest Surahs in the Quran is a Surah dedicated to women, Called the chapter ("The Women").. There is also a Surah called "Chapter of Maryam" Which is about Mary mother of Jesus. Infact Mary is mentioned more in the Quran than in the Bible.

Surah Nisa 4:124:
And whoever does righteous good deeds, male or female, and is a true believer in the Oneness of Allâh (Muslim), such will enter Paradise and not the least injustice, even to the size of a Naqîra (speck on the back of a date*stone), will be done to them

Surah Nahl 16:97:

Whoever works righteousness, whether male or female, while he (or she) is a true believer (of Islâmic Monotheism) verily, to him We will give a good life (in this world with respect, contentment and lawful provision), and We shall pay them certainly a reward in proportion to the best of what they used to do (i.e. Paradise in the Hereafter).

converttobe

Thank you for your reply. I note that the Quran and Hadith both have great importance.

I do accept your point that women and men have physiological and psychological differences -- and that this accounts for people's differing aptitude for certain things.

But, specifically to say that more women go to hell because they curse too much, are ungrateful to their spouses, lack common sense, and fail in religion takes these differences to a radically negative level.

But an authentic hadith it is never-the-less.

samiha

---------
Staff member
I think brother mabsoot stated clearly in the last part of his post that a man and woman will be judged equally in front Allah (God) and that if the woman was righteous that there was nothing hindering her from entering Paradise.

However, the Prophet just mentions a fact that more women go to Hell for backbiting and such like, he didn’t say that men don’t also go to Hell for the same reasons. Women do sometimes have a tendency to do things wrong and he just pointed that out. If you knew there was something you did that God disliked, or that is a weakness in you what would you do? Try to improve upon it right? I know that women will go to Hell for such things and therefore will try my best NOT to be among them. I think this pointing out of our problems helps us fix them.

Allah knows best.

sunshine

Building Bridges
samiha said:
However, the Prophet just mentions a fact that more women go to Hell for backbiting and such like, he didn’t say that men don’t also go to Hell for the same reasons.
Allah knows best.

I think, this is a clear answer. As a woman, I know we like backbiting. So, it's clear that we really need to work hard to control our tongue.

samiha

---------
Staff member
sunshine said:
I think, this is a clear answer. As a woman, I know we like backbiting. So, it's clear that we really need to work hard to control our tongue.
:salam2:
lol.....sadly true...
:wasalam:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
converttobe said:
But, specifically to say that more women go to hell because they curse too much, are ungrateful to their spouses, lack common sense, and fail in religion takes these differences to a radically negative level.

If men do the same they will too. Its a reason for being punished by Allah. But, it is not for us to develop our own explanation of the hadeeth based solely on the hadeeth. There are other hadeeth and verses of the Quran which provide greater insight into the situation.

The Hadith is not speaking in absolute terms, there are men who are better than some women and women who are better than some men in many aspects.

Are Women Intellectually and Spiritually Inferior? By Shayk`Abdul-`Aziz Ibn Baz