hair dying

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaam Alaykum

Insha-allah this link will help you...:)

Question:
I have seen that some people use materials to dye their hair different colours, be it black, red, etc., and also using something else to make curly hair straight. It is permissible to do such things, and does the ruling apply equally to young and old?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

There is nothing wrong with changing the hair colour and dyeing it any colour, except black. There is also nothing wrong with using something to make curly hair straight. This ruling applies to young and old alike, so long as no damage results from doing this and the material used is pure (taahir) and something that is allowed in Islam. However, dyeing the hair pure black is not allowed for men or women, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Change this grey hair, but avoid black.” (Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/168).

Asalaam

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaam Alaykum

Jaabir ibn ‘Abdullah reported that Abu Quhaafah was brought on the day of the conquest of Makkah, and his head and beard were white like "thaghaamah" (a plant whose flowers and fruit are white). The Messenger of Allah (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said: "Change this with something, but avoid black." (Reported by Muslim, no. 3962).

Ibn ‘Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) said: "The Messenger of Allah (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said: ‘At the end of time there will be people who will dye their hair black like the crops of pigeons. They will never even smell the fragrance of Paradise." (reported by Imam Ahmad, see also Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 8153).

It was also reported from the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) that one should change grey hair, using any colour except black. Abu Dharr reported that the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said: "The best things with which to change grey hair are henna and ‘katam’ (a plant similar to henna which is used as a dye)." (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, no. 1675; he said: This is a saheeh hasan hadith).

Dyeing hair with pure black dye is haram because the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said: "Avoid black," and because of the threat of punishment reported with regard to this matter. This ruling applies to both men and women.

But if the black dye is mixed with another colour, so that it is no longer black, there is nothing wrong with it.

Asalaam

Kayote

:wasalam:

JazakAllah Khair.

I always wanted to try light green dye on my hair, but my sisters simply wont let me. Talk about tough sisters!!! :frown:

badru

hi again

:salam2: is playing soccer harame that's wa tmy cuzin keeps saying and he is a type shieke u now so i don't now wa tto do and i luv soccer and play for a real soccer team talk about tough:salam2:

faiz_fauzi

Assalamulaikum!

soccer is consider as sports.As long as u stick to the rule.It is permissible.

Hair dyin?hmm not sure bout it but black dye is haram.Umm Aysha had clear this things up!

JazakALLAHU Khair!

islam4lyf

Happy 2 b a muslim!!
salaams!!

i had a question about hair dying does any1 hav any idea of what kind of dye we can use for example does it have to be permanent or semi permanent??

Siti Naqiah

I think one of the most essential thing to look out for is...
to make sure that the hair dye is halal.

There are couple of brands in the market now that are halal, in other words, its okay to use it for praying and such. And not only that, from what I heard, its safer too because they usually contain more organic naturals that those which are not halal. Majority tends to be more chemically inclined.

mali1

Asalaam Alaykum

Jaabir ibn ‘Abdullah reported that Abu Quhaafah was brought on the day of the conquest of Makkah, and his head and beard were white like "thaghaamah" (a plant whose flowers and fruit are white). The Messenger of Allah (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said: "Change this with something, but avoid black." (Reported by Muslim, no. 3962).

Ibn ‘Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) said: "The Messenger of Allah (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said: ‘At the end of time there will be people who will dye their hair black like the crops of pigeons. They will never even smell the fragrance of Paradise." (reported by Imam Ahmad, see also Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 8153).

It was also reported from the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) that one should change grey hair, using any colour except black. Abu Dharr reported that the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said: "The best things with which to change grey hair are henna and ‘katam’ (a plant similar to henna which is used as a dye)." (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, no. 1675; he said: This is a saheeh hasan hadith).

Dyeing hair with pure black dye is haram because the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said: "Avoid black," and because of the threat of punishment reported with regard to this matter. This ruling applies to both men and women.

But if the black dye is mixed with another colour, so that it is no longer black, there is nothing wrong with it.

Asalaam

Thanks Sister... This was very informative.... I had no idea and had been coloring my head with blackest of black of Loreal.... I will change the color now. Thanks again.

Wasalam

khairulUmmam

salam.. plz correct me if im wrong.. i ever heard that even dye is forbid...because u chage what Allah has given u.. y must y dye the hair..isnt it better than being bald? thats my teacher say... but Allah know best... 4 me i just stick to natural colour.. heheh!

hqudrat

:salam2:

thanks for the information sisters JazakAllah khrair.

i just wanna ask a question. i'm a black sister and i see that people use what is know as "chemical" to make their hair soft and very easy to band. since our hair is so thick and hard to band together if it is natural.
my question is, is it halal to change the texture of ur hair like from thick to soft using "chemical"

:tti_sister:

SeSaMe

Calm Member ((^_^))
Salamo Alaykom All ^^

Oh Thnx a lot sisters 4 this information

that's so useful :ma:

SouSou :SMILY259:

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalaam Alaykum

Asalaam

:salam2:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,,
jazakallah khairan for providing the info.