Hello! Please help.

BanjoZaerah

Hello! Hope you are all doing well. I am new to this forum and I want to start out saying that I'm quite a spiritual person, I have however not found any religion that suits me and that I feel comfortable with. I was checking out the Holy Quran since I've always felt some kind of drag towards Islam since I have a lot of great Islamic friends. However, I started reading from the Quran and I found some paragraphs which I had trouble with personally. I will list them here:

Quran 5.51 - O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people.

Quran 4.101 - And when you journey in the earth, there is no blame on you if you shorten the prayer, if you fear that those who disbelieve will cause you distress, surely the unbelievers are your open enemy.

Quran 3.151 - We will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve, because they set up with Allah that for which He has sent down no authority, and their abode is the fire, and evil is the abode of the unjust.

Quran 28.86 - And you were not expecting that the Book (this Qur’an) would be sent down to you, but it is a mercy from your Lord. So never be a supporter of the disbelievers.

Quran 9.29 - Fight against those who (1) believe not in Allah, (2) nor in the Last Day, (3) nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger (4) and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth (i.e. Islam) among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), until they pay the Jizyah with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

Quran 98.6 - Verily, those who disbelieve from among the People of the Book and the idolaters, will be in the Fire of Hell, abiding therein. They are the worst of creatures.

The problem is that I have some Christian and non-believing friends aswell. Is it really true that according to the almighty Allah I cannot be friends with them or is there an explanation to these paragraphs which is more peaceful? Please help!

Thank you.

a_stranger

Peace
I think to understand Quran one should understand in what circumstances certain verses were revealed and we should consider some other verses to have the true meanings :I shall try by the help of Allah swt make things more clear :

Quran 5.51 - O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people.

We find in tafseer Ibn katheer

This Ayah discourages and forbids taking the enemies of Islam and its people, such as the People of the Book and the polytheists, as friends. These disbelievers mock the most important acts that any person could ever perform, the honorable, pure acts of Islam which include all types of good for this life and the Hereafter. They mock such acts and make them the subject of jest and play, because this is what these acts represent in their misguided minds and cold hearts. Allah said;

[مِّنَ الَّذِينَ أُوتُواْ الْكِتَـبَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ وَالْكُفَّارَ]

(from those who received the Scriptures before you and (nor) the disbelievers...) This is to clarify the particular category (of disbelievers). As Allah said,

[فَاجْتَنِبُواْ الرِّجْسَ مِنَ الاٌّوْثَـنِ]

(So shun the evil of the idols...) [22:30] So some recited it "Kuffari'', making it an object of the preposition, and others recited it "Kuffara'', making it a predicate noun;

[لاَ تَتَّخِذُواْ الَّذِينَ اتَّخَذُواْ دِينَكُمْ هُزُواً وَلَعِباً مِّنَ الَّذِينَ أُوتُواْ الْكِتَـبَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ]

(Take not as friends those who take your religion for a mockery and fun from those who received the Scriptures before you...) with the meaning of "nor'',

[وَالْكُفَّارَ أَوْلِيَآءَ]

(nor the disbelievers as friends) That is, do not take these people nor those people as friends. The meaning here of "Kuffar'' [disbelievers] is idolators. Similarly, Ibn Jarir recorded that in the recitation of Ibn Mas`ud [in place of "Kuffar'' he recited it: "and those who commit Shirk. Allah's statement,

[وَاتَّقُواْ اللَّهَ إِن كُنتُم مُّؤْمِنِينَ]

(And have Taqwa of Allah if you indeed are true believers.) means, fear Allah and do not take the enemies of you and your religion as friends, if you believe in Allah's Law and religion that these people mocked and jested about. Allah said in another Ayah,

________but in other verse we find:

The Permissibility of being Kind to Disbelievers who do not fight against the Religion And Allah's statement;

[لاَّ يَنْهَـكُمُ اللَّهُ عَنِ الَّذِينَ لَمْ يُقَـتِلُوكُمْ فِى الدِّينِ وَلَمْ يُخْرِجُوكُمْ مِّن دِيَـرِكُمْ]

(Allah does not forbid you with those who fought not against you on account of religion nor drove you out of your homes,) means, those who did not have a role in your expulsion. Therefore, Allah does not forbid you from being kind to the disbelievers who do not fight you because of the religion, such as women and weak disbelievers,

[أَن تَبَرُّوهُمْ]

(to deal kindly) to be gentle with them,

[وَتُقْسِطُواْ إِلَيْهِمْ]

(and justly with those) to be fair with them

[إِنَّ اللَّهَ يُحِبُّ الْمُقْسِطِينَ]

(Verily, Allah loves those who deal with equity.) Imam Ahmad recorded that Asma' bint Abu Bakr said, "My mother, who was an idolatress at the time, came to me during the Treaty of Peace, the Prophet conducted with the Quraysh. I came to the Prophet and said, `O Allah's Messenger! My mother came visiting, desiring something from me, should I treat her with good relations' The Prophet said,

«نَعَمْ صِلِي أُمَّك»

(Yes. Keep good relation with your mother.)'' The Two Sahihs recorded this Hadith. Imam Ahmad recorded that `Abdullah bin Zubayr said, "Qutaylah came visiting her daughter, Asma' bint Abi Bakr, with some gifts, such as Dibab, cheese and clarified (cooking) butter, and she was an idolatress at that time. Asma' refused to accept her mother's gifts and did not let her enter her house. `A'ishah asked the Prophet about his verdict and Allah sent down the Ayah,

[لاَّ يَنْهَـكُمُ اللَّهُ عَنِ الَّذِينَ لَمْ يُقَـتِلُوكُمْ فِى الدِّينِ]

(Allah does not forbid you with those who fought not against you on account of religion) until the end of the Ayah. Allah's Messenger ordered Asma' to accept her mother's gifts and to let her enter her house.'' Allah's statement,

[إِنَّ اللَّهَ يُحِبُّ الْمُقْسِطِينَ]

(Allah loves those who deal with equity.) was duly explained in the Tafsir of Surat Al-Hujurat. We also mentioned the authentic Hadith,

«الْمُقْسِطُونَ عَلى مَنَابِرَ مِنْ نُورٍ عَنْ يَمِينِ الْعَرْشِ، الَّذِينَ يَعْدِلُونَ فِي حُكْمِهِمْ وَأَهَالِيهِمْ وَمَا وَلُوا»

(The just, who are fair in their decisions, families and those under their authority, will be on podiums made of light, to the right of the Throne.)

BanjoZaerah

Thank you very much for your reply a_stranger!

I feel a bit better about it now, but still these different verses look a bit contradicting to me. I also just saw a video of a 17 year old Muslim girl being hit 43 times with belt because she had been seen walking together with a man which was not her husband. Why was only the girl being punished and not the man? And why was the girl not allowed to have other male friends? I cannot be part of a religion which accepts this kind of discrimination towards women. So I hope the ones behind this are not true Muslims, even though they say they are.

I will investigate more about what the Quran says and I hope it is not as hostile as it can look like at first glance.. I'm thinking about Jihad etc. No wonder there are a lot of violent Muslims or wanna-be Muslims when the Quran is so hard to understand properly. :( If the true nature of the Holy Quran is really all about peace then we should make this very clear with good examples from the Quran to make the world a better place to live!

Stay strong!

Kind Regards
-BZ

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

Abdalilah, I believe you meant adulteress and adulterer and not prostitute.

a_stranger

Shorten the prayer

Quran 4.101 - And when you journey in the earth, there is no blame on you if you shorten the prayer, if you fear that those who disbelieve will cause you distress, surely the unbelievers are your open enemy.

At the start of Islam there were many people who tried to stop Islam by force , early muslems suffered the most cruel torture and killings , first Allah swt told them to be have Patience and continue the call to Islam but after Higra it was permissble to fight back. The early muslem didn`t ask for fighting it was a must to defend their faith.

a_stranger

<<The problem is that I have some Christian and non-believing friends aswell. Is it really true that according to the almighty Allah I cannot be friends with them or is there an explanation to these paragraphs which is more peaceful? Please help!>>

As for the Prophet's treatment of the Jews in general, there are many examples that show his kindness to them. For example, a young Jewish boy used to serve the Prophet and he became sick, and so the Prophet went to visit him.

It is reported that a funeral of a Jew passed before the Prophet (peace be upon him). As a sign of respect, the Prophet stood up. The Prophet was asked "Why did you stand up for a Jewish funeral?" The Prophet replied, "Is it not a human soul?" (Al-Bukhari).

It is reported that the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) had a Jewish neighbor who used to throw garbage in his way, but when the Prophet heard one day that the neighbor was sick he went to visit him.

The heart of the prophet :saw: was full with love for the whole humanity, but some were denying the clear truth:

In their dialogues with the Arabs, the Jews of the Medina kept telling them that soon there would appear a prophet from among themselves and that he would lead them to humiliate the Arab idolaters. They kept on repeating this Jewish dream in front of their fellow residents until Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) appeared and came to Madinah. Thereupon, everything changed because they started to deny their dream and claimed that he was not the long-awaited prophet but just a pseudo-prophet, completing a package of falsifications woven by their Arab contemporaries.

They knew in their hearts that he was a prophet and not a liar, yet they opted to be arrogant rather than surrender to the truth. They wondered why the long-awaited prophet came from the Arabs. In the Jews' opinion, they themselves were the most deserving of that honor, and as they saw it jumping in someone else's lap, they decided to destroy it.

Two of their rabbis were conversing when the Prophet reached Madinah and one of them said to the other, "Is that him?" i.e., is he the prophet? And the other answered, "Yes, it is him." The other continued, "Are you sure it is him?" and the answer came, "By God, I know him as much as I know my own son." "So what will you do with him?" And the final answer came, "I will bear enmity to him till my death." (Saifur Rahman al-Mubarakfuri, Ar-Rahiq Al-Makhtum, Dar As-Salam, 1998, p. 145)

hana*

a kind word of advice, please do not believe everything you see and read on the media and internet with regards to islam before confirming with muslims first. there is a lot of anti-islamists out there who speak very ill of islam, which is not true. as for the concept of a woman being hit etc as you mentioned, it is NOT ALLOWED IN ISLAM TO HIT A WOMAN (AS A RESULT OF ILLEGAL SEX) UNLESS THERE ARE FOUR WITNESSES! meaning that there must be four people who witnessed the crime. if you ask me, who in their right mind would commit this in the open? also men who commit adultery, well their punishment is EQUAL to that of women. Allah stresses this because adultery is so grave, it breaks up the family structure, it breaks hearts and it causes society to go downhill. Allah only prohibits something which is harmful for us.

with regards to youre question on jihad, Allah allowed the muslims to fight the pagans ONLY AFTER they were (the muslims) persecuted over 13 years. so if somebody was attacking you, in attempt to kill you, would you not defend yourself? if we read the history of the early muslims it is all too clear how much they were abused, both physically and mentally tortured. they were also boycotted for many years, to an extent that the muslims had to eat leaves because they had nothing.

one other point on jihad. the word jihad means to struggle, to resist etc. jihad is mainly a struggle against ones desires: eg a struggle to not lie or cheat or swear... a struggle to pray etc this is the main jihad in islam by which Allah has promised enormous reward. the minor form of jihad is to struggle against the people who wage war against you, and that was when the non-muslims wanted to kill the muslims and the Prophet (PBUH) merely for being muslims. so Allah allowed them to defend themselves.

please continue to ask and we will continue to be of help. there is no doubt that islam is the most peaceful religion and that women in islam have far greater rights that western women, eg the right to divorce, marry, vote and inherit.

okay i better go, hope this has been of help.

good luck!

mhamzah

:salam2:

The word used in 'Arabic' is 'Awliyā' which means friends, protectors, helpers and allies.

The word is used in several places in the Quran with all these different meanings. In this context the word refers to protector and allies and is in reference to conflicts between Muslims and hostile Non-Muslims.

Tafsir (explanation) of verses 5:51

(5:51) Believers! Do not take the Jews and the Christians for your allies. They are the allies of each other. And among you he who takes them for allies, shall be regarded as one of them. Allah does not guide the wrong-doers. (5:52) Indeed you see those afflicted with the disease of hypocrisy race towards them, saying: 'We fear lest some misfortune overtakes us.84 And it may happen that Allah will either bring you a decisive victory or bring about something else from Himself?85 and then they will feel remorseful at their hypocrisy which they have kept concealed in their breasts -

*84. The outcome of the conflict in Arabia between Islam and unbelief (kufr) had not crystallized. Although Islam had become a formidable force owing to the daring, courage and sacrifices of its followers, the forces opposed to it were also tremendously powerful. To an objective observer it must have seemed that either party had an equal chance of success, and so the hypocrites, apparently an integral part of the Muslim body politic, sought to maintain good relations with the Jews and the. Christians as well. They expected refuge and protection from the Jews in case Islam was defeated. Moreover, the Jews and Christians held the greatest economic power in Arabia insofar as the banking system and the greenest and most fertile regions of Arabia were in their possession. For these reasons the hypocrites were keen to maintain good relations with them: they thought that to regard the conflict between Islam and unbelief as crucially important, and to sever their relations with all those currently in conflict with Islam, would be too great a risk both politically and economically.

*85. They were looking for a conclusive victory, or at least something not far short of it, to inspire confidence that the conflict would end in favour of Islam.

When divisions started amongst Muslim in spain (during their rule in spain), some Muslims took Queen Isabella as their allies while other took fernando as their allies. In the end isabella and fernando allied together and a time came when no Muslim could even give the Azan (call to prayer) in spain. As far as taking Jews and Christians who are not hostile towards Muslims, there is no such verse in the Quran. The Quran was revealed over a period of 23 years and most of it was either in response to questions Muslims and Non-Muslims had and as a guidance as to how to react to events and circumstances surrounding them, thus these circumstances cannot be ignored.

4:101 Quran 4.101 - And when you journey in the earth, there is no blame on you if you shorten the prayer, if you fear that those who disbelieve will cause you distress, surely the unbelievers are your open enemy.

The verse is talking about shortening prayers if you fear any distress or attack from the unbelievers.

(3:149) Believers! If you follow those who deny the Truth, they will drive you back on your heels,108 and you will turn about, losers.

*108. That is, they would push them back into the same state of unbelief from which they had extricated themselves. Since the Battle of Uhud the hypocrites and the Jews had constantly propagated the idea that, had Muhammad been a true Prophet, he would not have suffered the reverse that he encountered in that battle. This reverse was offered as proof that Muhammad (peace be on him) was an ordinary person whose fortunes varied, like those of other men, between victory and defeat. They further contended that the support and patronage of God which Muhammad claimed to enjoy was a sham.

(3:150) But Allah is your Protector, and He is the best of helpers. (3:151) We will cast terror into the hearts of those who have denied the Truth since they have associated others with Allah in His divinity - something for which He has sent down no sanction. The Fire is their abode; how bad the resting place of the wrong-doers will be! (3:152) Allah surely fulfilled His promise (of succour) when you were slaying them by His leave until the moment when you flagged and quarrelled among yourselves about the matter, and acted against the order of (the Prophet). Soon He showed you what you had intensely desired - for some among you sought this world and some of you sought the Next. Thereupon, in order to put you to a test He turned you away from your foes. Still He pardoned you after that109 for Allah is Bounteous to those who believe.

*109. The failure of the Muslims was of such a serious nature that had God not pardoned them they might have been obliterated there and then. It was out of God's grace, support and patronage that after the Muslims had been overpowered by the enemy the latter were seized with perplexity and confusion, and withdrew.

The verses are in reference to battle of Uhad. If you read the seerah (biography) of Prophet Muahmmad (pbuh), you will get a better idea. Two seerah books I'll recommend are The sealed Nectar or Muhammad (pbuh), his life based on earliest souces by Martin Lings.

(28:86) (O Prophet), you never looked forward for the Book to be revealed to you. It is out of sheer Mercy of your Lord that it was (revealed to you).109 So do not lend any support to the unbelievers.110

110. 110 That is, "When Allah has granted you this blessing without your asking for it, you are under an obligation to exercise all your energies and spend aII your efforts in upholding it conveying it (Quran, message of Islam) to others and promoting its cause. Any slackness in this regard would mean that you helped the disbelievers. THis does not mean that, God forbid, there was any chance of such slackness on the part of the Holy Prophet. Allah, in fact, is exhorting the Holy Prophet, as if to say, "You should go on doing your mission in spite of the disbelievers' opposition and their uproar, and do not at all mind what fears the enemies of the Truth express regarding your message's being harmful to their national interests. "

(98:6) Those who disbelieved8 – be they from among the People of the Book or among those who associated others with Allah in His Divinity– shall be in the Fire, and will abide in it. They are the worst of creatures.9

*8 "Disbelieved": refused to acknowledge the Prophet Muhammad (upon whom be Allah's peace) as Allah's Messenger. The meaning is that the end of those from among the mushriks and the followers of the Book, who have not acknowledged the Messenger whose emergence by itself is a clear evidence, and who is reciting to them hallowed pages containing sound and correct teachings, will be as is being described below.

*9 That is, they are worse than all creatures of God, even than animals, for the animals do not possess reason and power, but these people reject the Truth in spite of having reason and authority.

The Quran does not paint all the Jews and Christians with the same brush. Thus in reference to Jews, Christians or people of the Book you will find the words used are 'Among them are', 'A party of them' or 'Some of them'. In several places Quran while refereing to the people of the book (Jews and Christians) state that among them are those who are believers. In another place in state that the last Prophet i.e. Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is mentioned in their own scriptures (the scripture they possess i.e. the bible). Commenting on this verse a Christian scholar state the Jews and Christians must have had a different bible than we have today, because why on the day this verse was revealed (last prophet in their scripture), the Jews and Christians kept quite, why didnt they object or told the Muslims come with us and see our book, there is no mentioning of the last prophet. In this own words, there must have been a clear evidence of the last prophet so they kept quite. Obviously there are many passages in both OT and NT, that Jews and Christian find it hard to attribute to anyone other than Prophet Muahmmad (that for later though).

Hope this helps clarify your misconceptions.

:wasalam:

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

Hello! Hope you are all doing well. I am new to this forum and I want to start out saying that I'm quite a spiritual person, I have however not found any religion that suits me and that I feel comfortable with. I was checking out the Holy Quran since I've always felt some kind of drag towards Islam sister i give you a god news which is that everytime you spiritually try to move towards a higher level you will be moving towards islam .i give you an honest recommendation.you see all around you there are things....,like stars ..they arebautiful yeah,then there is water ,then you have ummm lovely hills breeze ,then moon /sun day/night so there is order and beauty in the universe and within your own self ...right .SO just pray to Whoever made/created all this by asking "please guide me " thats all.u see coz whoever made all this from the tiny atom to the mighty stars must be very Powerful ,so you ned to humbly seek help.since I have a lot of great Islamic friends. However, I started reading from the Quran {congrats most ppl never try, but since u r read it as if it is the reply to ur prayers...coz BY Him in whose hans is my soul and yours --it is>and I found some paragraphs which I had trouble with personally. I will list them here:

Quran 5.51 - O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people. see israel{jews] they killed 1500 innocent people-most of them kids just seach google images to see the horror,the west {christians}dint blink an eyelid except croc'stears. this is what ur Lord is telling in advance and the ones who dint listen are the rulers of Arab countries who HAVE TAKEN JEWS AND CHRISTIANS asFRIENDS !! somebody ignored Allahs warning .{in the context of everday lifwe i am sure someone will explain this verse.

Quran 4.101 - And when you journey in the earth, there is no blame on you if you shorten the prayer, if you fear that those who disbelieve will cause you distress, surely the unbelievers are your open enemy.{now see if u were a muslim say-living in palestine ,and israel soldiers are randomly shooting down people going past the check post,here Allah Almighty allows u to finish ur prayers because the enemies wil not wait for u to finish he whole prayer.) or someone might paint ur back with grafitti while u stand to pray.disbelievers can be mean.i mean dont u hear news of merciless shooting all the time.its obvious one who does not believe in god will do everything and anything.this applies to disbelievers whether just -in-name muslims or non muslims.this is the context of the verse.

Quran 3.151 - We will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve, because they set up with Allah that for which He has sent down no authority, and their abode is the fire, and evil is the abode of the unjust.i am not a scholar, but even i can answer this one .and even you will understand...SEE today america is terrified of a handful of people living on the hills.the terror is not of those people but it is in the hearts of the people because they have TURNED AWAY FROM THE MESSAGE OF ALLAH and chosen other godslike say money,etc.Ok look at it this way a saying goes"ever since man became unafraid of God he became afraid of microbes.." makes sense.this is what the verse means -ppl are afraid of AIDS imagine there was never such a disease why did Allah make it?because people had made their pleasure a tthing of devotion and turned away from God.the muslims of iraq are in such a bad shape because they turned away fromGod and made west their ideal and they are being destroyed by that ideal physically and culturally.-agree.

Quran 28.86 - And you were not expecting that the Book (this Qur’an) would be sent down to you, but it is a mercy from your Lord. So never be a supporter of the disbelievers.dont you feel Allah is taking to you .!!!!!!!!11Subhanallah He is telling you that while you were wandering hitherthiher in darkness ..you never ever could havethought u wud be reading the Quran.ddu honestly tell did u ever think the mercy of Allah the Liught wud be in the religion of islam...in THE QURAN.but hten where will itt be ? never be a supporter of disbelievers means --like wud u contribute to israel campaign or go to kill innocent pppl in iraq.

Quran 9.29 - Fight against those who (1) believe not in Allah, (2) nor in the Last Day, (3) nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger (4) and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth (i.e. Islam) among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), until they pay the Jizyah with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.wudnt u spiritually yourself feel obliged to fight somebody so nasty .i mean all the above three points apply to NAZIS ,wudnt u fight them.and wudnt u fight those who behave like nazis.again the exact sitation can be explained but my explanation is the general applicability.we stopped fighting with the result that islamic power weakened and led to the monstorous rise of western powers which later engagedin world wars ,atom bombs and all.its much worse when disbelievers fight because they think there is no hell to goto .you will agree they need to be subdued not given a freehand as UNO has given america.check the number of ppl killed by america .btw which country wiped out a jap city .its suspected that 9/11 was an inside job an excuse to chase oil in iraq and control in afghanistan,phew wud u take such as friends and leave your CREATOR. and will He be happy with u?

Quran 98.6 - Verily, those who disbelieve from among the People of the Book and the idolaters, will be in the Fire of Hell, abiding therein. They are the worst of creatures.they sure are .i mean the first commandment was dont take any other god money,power and even a messenger they took a messenger of Allah as his son !.second was dont make an image -churches are filled with idols ! does this make u sick. we can understand it wud not make Allah happy .as for the idolaters its so simple -have u seen any animal worship an idol,i mean any monkey ,or dog or tiger or horse.we call them beasts .so there are ppl u are worsethen them be coz they do sumthin so stupid as taking mud and giving it shape and then bowing to it,WHILE ALLAH WATCHES!
ALSO ITS ALSO IN THE CONTEXT THAT u feed a dog he will remain loyal to u ,,never make friends with someone who tries to violate ur sanctity .
similarly a horse goesto war for its masters sake and dies ,,those were not the horses enemies.u dint create the horse u dint create the universe so it cud have o2 to breathe and grass to eat and digestive systemand heart...u fed it ..it was so loyal it never asked wherei have to go why i have to fight.

and what we do when ALLAH COMMANDS US IN OUR OWN INTEREST,forthough we might gain from the horse or dog our Master gains nothing from us except our own welfare. so think and be around.the main issue is tomoriow these question HE WILL BE ASKING -and i hope we will be replying positively...............................aameen.

The problem is that I have some Christian and non-believing friends aswell. Is it really true that according to the almighty Allah I cannot be friends with them or is there an explanation to these paragraphs which is more peaceful? Please help!

Thank you.

assalaamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu.

mhamzah

Thank you very much for your reply a_stranger!

I feel a bit better about it now, but still these different verses look a bit contradicting to me. I also just saw a video of a 17 year old Muslim girl being hit 43 times with belt because she had been seen walking together with a man which was not her husband. Why was only the girl being punished and not the man? And why was the girl not allowed to have other male friends? I cannot be part of a religion which accepts this kind of discrimination towards women. So I hope the ones behind this are not true Muslims, even though they say they are.

I will investigate more about what the Quran says and I hope it is not as hostile as it can look like at first glance.. I'm thinking about Jihad etc. No wonder there are a lot of violent Muslims or wanna-be Muslims when the Quran is so hard to understand properly. :( If the true nature of the Holy Quran is really all about peace then we should make this very clear with good examples from the Quran to make the world a better place to live!

Stay strong!

Kind Regards
-BZ

:salam2:

There are no contradiction in these verses. Infact the Quran invites the unbelievers to examine the Quran and see if they can find a contradiction in it.

Do they not then consider the Quran carefully? Had it been from other than Allah, they would surely have found therein much contradictions. (4:82)

Coming to the video bit:

Lets first examine what the Quran says;

A sura which We have sent down and which We have ordained in it have We sent down Clear Signs, in order that ye may receive admonition. The woman and the man guilty of illegal sexual intercourse, flog each of them with a hundred stripes. Let not pity withhold you in their case, in a punishment prescribed by Allah, if you believe in Allah and the Last Day. And let a party of the believers witness their punishment (24:1-2)

The Quran does not discriminate between Man and Women. Thus we find that what ever worship that is enjoyned upon Women is enjoyned upon Man. Women under several circumstance (for e.g. Mensural cycle or Pregnancy) have been given provision. What ever reward a Man get for a deed the Women gets the same. What ever punishment is prescribed for women is prescribed for man. Following verse makes that clear.

For Muslim men and women,- for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patient and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in Charity, for men and women who fast (and deny themselves), for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah's praise,- for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward. (33:35)

To the video itself:

In Islam you do not comment unless you have the facts and you do not make an accusation unless you have evidence.

O you who have believed, if there comes to you a disobedient one with information, investigate, lest you harm a people out of ignorance and become, over what you have done, regretful. (49:6)

Various Reports in the Media:

There are various conflicting reports in the media, I'll just highlights what these reports are, Chief Justice has taken a notice of the incidence, all concerned parties have been physically called to the court on Monday. Let us wait and see what evidence will be brough forwad and not jump to the conclusion. The various reports are;

1. No where does it say the man was not flogged, infact it has been reported that the man was flogged. Video of the girl was made from a mobile camera and the video of the man wasn't made.

2. No such incident happened and the video is fake and is deliberataly made to jeopardize the peace deal in the trouble area of swat. This is an observation of many people. Local people have denied that any such incident took place.

3. The video was made on 3rd January 2009 (incident roughly 4 months old).

4. The incident is 9 months old.

5. Incident is before the peace deal was signed vs. the incident is after the signing of the peace deal.

6. Video is 2 weeks old and the girl was flogged for refusing to marry a man (statement of man who shot the video). (If this is the case, if, than this is highly unislamic as women cannot be forced to marry in Islam).

O ye who believe! Ye are forbidden to inherit women against their will. Nor should ye treat them with harshness, that ye may Take away part of the dower ye have given them,-except where they have been guilty of open lewdness; on the contrary live with them on a footing of kindness and equity. If ye take a dislike to them it may be that ye dislike a thing, and Allah brings about through it a great deal of good (4:19)

7. They committed adultery vs. they didn't.

There are many other other conflicting news, lets not draw conclusions yet.
Islamic Law is clear. Both man and women is to be flogged only after it has been proven that they are guilty of adultery. The person making the accusation has to bring forth atleast 4 witnesses.

Concept of Jihad

The word Jihad means to strive and to struggle. Jihad refers to stive against one's own evil inclinations, to strive in battle field either in self defence or to fight opression and tyrany and it also refers to strive to improve the society. If a Muslim fights it does not necessarily (i.e. in all circumstance) means he is doing Jihad. Jihad (in the fighting concept) can only be done (a) under self defence and (b) to eliminate Fitnah (oppression and injustice).

Quote: No wonder there are a lot of violent Muslims or wanna-be Muslims when the Quran is so hard to understand properly

Wonder why so many Muslims are living under illegal occupation, just to name a few, Palestine, Kashmir, Iraq, Afghanistan, chechnya etc. Quran is not hard to understand. Its a fight over a piece of land and not that Muslims want to kill all the Non-Muslims. They are fighting to either regain their land back or to have their right to be able to freely live in the land they have been living for centruies.

Palestine & Iraq: Jews and Christians have been living for centuries under Muslim majority areas in the Arab world. After all there are 14 Million coptic Christians and many Million Jews still living in Arab world.

Kashmir- Pakistan, Bangladesh and India was one nation just over 60 years back. Muslims and Hindus have been living together in that land for over a 1,000 years. Even though Muslims are a majoirty (75%) in Indian held kashmir, they are denied their basic rights. India made a promise over 50 years ago they will hold a referendum in Kashmir and allow Kashmiris to decide what they want. 54 years have gone and nothing has happened. Tens of thousands of Indian army is present in India and thousands of Muslims men have been killed and women raped. Obviously you wont hear that in the corporate media.

I at times wonder why the media knows the name of name of each and every Israel soldier taken capture of war (they are just a few though) by Palestian or Lebanon, but they don't know the name of any ordinary Palestinian killed by the Israeli army. Why is it that there are 1 minute silence each year for those killed on 9/11 and 7/7 and we know the names of each and every one of them, even which country they belong too, but there are no minutes silence for 2,000 Muslim men and women killed in Gujrat, India, there are no minute silence for millions of civilian people dying in Kashmir, Pakistan, Afganistan, Iraq, Chehnya, Palestine. I wonder why we dont know the name of 70 civilians that were killed by US army attending a marriage ceremony in Afghanistan. I wonder why the rapist of Abeer Qassim Hamza al-Janabi and those that killed her family are not called terrorist. Think about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abeer_Qassim_Hamza_al-Janabi

I can go on and on. Simiarly in Afghanistan too people are fighting an illegal war. We need to first understand what the motive of people are when they fight. Not all Muslims fighting are doing Jihad. The one's who attacked U.S. on 9/11 (if at all they were Muslims, because there are many Non-Muslims, American scientists and scholars who claim 9/11 was an inside job) were not doing Jihad.

The Islamic Law regarding Jihad and War is very clear. Internataionl community has just recently defined the ethics of war, Islam gave the laws regarding war over 1,400 years ago (not to kill women, children or the old, not to fight the non-combantant, not to damage the propety, not to poision the water supply, not to kill the animal or destroy trees and plants, not to damage churches or synagogue and so on). When ever a verse in the Quran talks about fighting the following verse inevitabily talks about either 'Do not trangress the limits' or 'Peace is better' or 'if the enemy wants peace give them peace'

If the person does not understand the Quran, its the not the Quran fault. Infact in one of the verse of the Quran, Quran tells us how to approach the Quran, if you want to understand it, follow the principle it lays down.

It is He who has sent down to you, [O Muْammad], the Book; in it are verses [that are] Explicit - they are the foundation of the Book - and others implicit. As for those in whose hearts is deviation [from truth], they will follow that of it which is implicit, seeking discord and seeking an interpretation [suitable to them]. And no one knows its [true] interpretation except Allah . But those firm in knowledge say, "We believe in it. All [of it] is from our Lord." And no one will be reminded except those of understanding. (3:7
)

The reason why there are implicit verses in the Quran, because Quran has self references. The Quran talks about itself in around 70 places, thus some verses are put in top of the others. To understand the implicit verses, we are reminded to look at the explicit verses on that topic. In other words, the best tafsir (explanation) of the Quran is the Quran itself. If that still does not help than there is the sunnah (saying and actions) of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

If you want to understand Islam, understand Quran and Sunnah. Even group of people on the face of the earth has good and bad people. If one want to show us the bad behaviour of some of the Muslims we can do so that of any particular group, what does that prove! Nothing.

Salam Alakum

:wasalam:

mayAllahguide

Assalamu 'alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Jihad means struggle. The greatest kind of jihad (jihad akbar) is not struggle against ones desires. It is one kind of jihad. The greatest kind of jihad is participating in a fight to defend Islam. There are many requirements for a jihad to be performed, for instance it must be under the banner of muslims leaders. So it cannot be done personally.
Insha Allah (by Allah will) i will post these requirements, according to Qur'an and sunnah (saying and deeds of the Prophet, Shallallahu 'alaihi wa Salam ,).

Terrorism and suicide bombing are not jihad. They are not from Islam . These two are misleading conceptions by devian and bid'ah (heretical) sects often refered as qutbist, or khawarij.

http://www.thewahhabimyth.com/
to download this book :
http://www.4shared.com/file/39483432/3193fc4f/The_Wahhabi_Myth.html

Jihad in the Qur'an and Sunnah
By SHEIKH ABDULLAH BIN MUHAMMAD BIN HUMAID
http://islamworld.net/docs/jihad.html

Insha Allah these books will clear the misconceptions.

q8penpals

Salam

Is the punishment (assuming the 4 witnesses) for adultery and fornication the same? Adultery being having sex with someone other than your spouse (you are married), and fornication being having sex with someone but you are not married.

Nurul Aine

first of All i greet you with peace my dear sister in Humanity..

i am very happy that you are searching for your happiness... where as many people tend to ignore this big issue of their lives. many people think/believe that we are only here to work, eat, study, sleep, etc.. but they don't realize that end of the day there is a void feeling that we have in our hearts for which reason we don't really feel that happiness in our hearts. to ignore this empty feeling we like to make our selves busy with things that are not so important. many people keep them selves busy with unnecessary shopping, many working nearly 24 hours a day, many partying almost every day, many sleeping for many hours, many waste their time in gossiping, and in many other things...

since i was very young i used to wonder why am i here in this life, is it just to go to school, play, eat, grow up get married, have children, become old and then die? this is what people around me were doing.. then i used to think where will i go after i die, what happens next? as time pass, i got busy with studies, but i've realized that i was not really happy in my heart even though i had everything i needed in life, something was missing.. i tried to look happy but inside was empty. then after starting college i started to ask my self those questions again,, i thought/studied about different religions even though i was born in a Muslim family. but i was not satisfy in my heart still something was missing,, it didn't not seem to be complete to me..
until i heard some speeches about Islam, about our creator, about our soul, about life after death in my college... for some reason when i was hearing it, it went straight in my heart, i was actually feeling everything that i was hearing about, i started to cry out of joy, that what i was looking for now someone is talking about it with out me asking,, then i went in reading more in details about it.. there is no topic that is left behind in our daily lives that Islam does not talk about.. it contains every details, how to live our life.. it talks about how to run a nation to how to clean our self after we use toilet,, this really amazed me..
if you can please listen to some lecture about Quran and the life of the Prophets and Messengers from the website noora1.com, i am sure it will help you more in your sincere search, if God willing.. and always pray to the creator to guide you to what is truth and allow you to really feel it..... i hope i did not bore you with my long writing :)

revert2007

Love Fishing
hai how are?i hope ur doing good.i just want to tell u that whatever bad things a muslim do,doesn't mean that the religion islam taught him to do so.Allah has clearly given His words in Quran.We just need to read and understand it.and regarding being friend with Jews and Christians depends whether their friendship can affect ur faith in islam or not.if the friendship affects ur faith,it is better not to be their friend.
i am a revert of 2 years.i had all the questions that u have now.but through a good understanding of quran I managed to find the answer.there is nothing to lose but more to gain by converting to islam.if islam is the wrong religion,why are there many people converting to islam.Times magazine has reported that the most wide spreading religion in the world is islam.many people found the truth through diferent paths.i myself converted to islam by chatting to an american revert.everything is possible with Allah's will.believe me Islam is the true religion and Allah is the one who has created u ,me and the universe.u may take ur time to convert but the time won't wait us because we don't know what might happen to us the next minute.if u feel islam is the true religion ,plz convert to islam and all the brothers and sisters in TTI will guide u.good luck