Help in Focussing and concentrating

bdot

As salaam brothers and sisters,

I haven't posted much on this site, though I have benefitted much from its articles and content. Now I ask for your help in something that has plagued me for so long and that i fear will cause a lot of problems for me in this life and the next. Most of you already know, how shaitan tries to distract you from your salah and the more important things, making it hard to think or do anything. For me, it seems like im living each day in an almost endless distraction, fighting against an invisible enemy and unable to stop these constant voices that pick at my fears and speak lies and sin. It is like as I became deeper in my faith, the evil and good with in me became seperated and now i am faced with a sort of split personality, on who speaks right and the other that entice to that which is haraam. I'm sure this is the problem of all Muslims, but I would like to know how some of you deal with these issues. Maybe there are some special sunnah or quranic verses that I am not already aware of that may help. I really need help with this brothers and sisters, as I find myself torn by this daily conflict that impairs my ability to succeed in my daily tasks, and in my duties for the hereafter. May you post your insight, and may Allah, subhanahu wa t'ala, bless you for your consideration.

JazakAllahu khayr

Asalamualaikum waRahmatuAllahi wa barkatahu

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Protecting oneself from temptation in permissive countries

Question:
How should the Muslim youth who have left the Muslim countries to study in America protect themselves from the temptations, besides the option of marriage.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We have to note that marriage is the natural solution, and when we think of alternatives we think of them as being temporary. There are two things which will help to combat the effects of desire:

1. Strengthening that which prevents us from giving into it. This includes strengthening our faith, fearing Allaah and His punishment, strengthening our resolve and will-power, and understanding the consequences of following our desires, in this world and the next.

2. Weakening the motives, which is achieved by fasting and by keeping away from that which provokes desire, foremost among which is looking at haraam things and keeping bad company.

Shaykh Muhammad al-Duwaysh

Doing all kinds of acts of worship prescribed in sharee’ah and keeping yourself busy with that is the greatest help in protecting oneself from forbidden temptations. These young people should keep themselves busy in reciting Qur’aan, remembering Allaah, making du’aa’, fasting and calling others to Allaah, and establishing for themselves their own community where they can worship Allaah and come together to do good. Each of them should devote himself to worshipping Allaah during his free time and keep remembering Allaah when he is busy, even in the library and classroom, so that his heart will be with his Lord even when his body is with the kuffaar. This will be one of the greatest means of keeping safe. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

samiha

---------
Staff member
Wa alaykum assalam.

That's interesting... i guess we all have split personalities... just some more than others. I mean, it's how life goes sometimes, the way you act with your brothers, is not how you will act with you mother... the way you behave around your cousins isn't necessarlily how you act around your friends.

You see, everything and everybody affects who you are and what kind of person you become. That's why it's very important to be around good people. You will be raised amoungst those you stayed with most on the Day of Judgement.

But i know..... it's so much harder to act like a 'Muslim' with people who don't give a whit about Islam. It's so much harder to think, to behave and to love Allah how you should when across from you, you hear a person revolt against a religion they were brought up into but then rebelled against. So with these people, i stick to generic topics, i don't go near Islam... it's too bad... because they don't want to hear... and i'm not going to stay up at night thinking about it.

But then... after spending time with these people... it's like you get tired, and it's like you want an inner bath... to wash away the filth of wasted time...

but then with others... you could spend a day with them and it'd be like you were full of bliss... you could read hadith and be like, 'wow.... that is so beautiful' you could read quran and tafsir and see the history, the wonder of the Quran.

Now i see why i love Ramadan so much when i'm at home and nowhere else... it completely feels so nice.... it's an inner peace where you're happy, just doing what you are doing... yet at the same time there's a pulse of excitement in the air.... to shove up as much good as you can before the month ends.... :)

Times are changing... but inshallah... sabr... patience.... that's all i'm going for as of now....

Wassalam.

Noor to shine

As salaam brothers and sisters,

I haven't posted much on this site, though I have benefitted much from its articles and content. Now I ask for your help in something that has plagued me for so long and that i fear will cause a lot of problems for me in this life and the next. Most of you already know, how shaitan tries to distract you from your salah and the more important things, making it hard to think or do anything. For me, it seems like im living each day in an almost endless distraction, fighting against an invisible enemy and unable to stop these constant voices that pick at my fears and speak lies and sin. It is like as I became deeper in my faith, the evil and good with in me became seperated and now i am faced with a sort of split personality, on who speaks right and the other that entice to that which is haraam. I'm sure this is the problem of all Muslims, but I would like to know how some of you deal with these issues. Maybe there are some special sunnah or quranic verses that I am not already aware of that may help. I really need help with this brothers and sisters, as I find myself torn by this daily conflict that impairs my ability to succeed in my daily tasks, and in my duties for the hereafter. May you post your insight, and may Allah, subhanahu wa t'ala, bless you for your consideration.

JazakAllahu khayr

Asalamualaikum waRahmatuAllahi wa barkatahu

:salam2:

I think most of us feel the way you do ......The more you have faith in Allah swt the more struggle is within......the higher our hope in the degrees of Paradise the more you feel the smallness and worthless of your work....I think this struggle is a healthy process ....we should make Jihad alnafs(fight our lower self) ....don`t worry ....this will end the moment we step in Paradise by the mercy of Allah ..........Remember that Allah is limitless in his mercy and that Allah sees us and know the evil efforts of Shaitan that we suffer from and the weakness of our souls ......I think that the cure is:

Read Quran with understanding
learn hadiths
Make wodoo (washing for salah) keeping in mind that it washed all our sins.
Make duaa keeping in mind that Allah is near hearing us
read the stories of prophets and Sahaba
be in acompany with good muslems for more time

And continue the fight within for the sake of Allah .....

bdot

thank you

JazakAllaho khayr brothers and sisters,

thank you for your understanding and consideration. I've been feeling so weak in my battle lately, but, InshaAllah, with the advice that you have all posted, maybe I will be able to endure more patiently. Still, I hope for the day that I will no longer have to fight, even with myself. May Allah t'ala shower his blessings upon you all, may we all overcome the evils within our selves, as well as the evil amongst this earth, and may we accepted into the peace of Jannah.

Asalamu alaikum waRahmatuAllahi wa barkatahu

BrotherZak

thank you for your understanding and consideration. I've been feeling so weak in my battle lately, but, InshaAllah, with the advice that you have all posted, maybe I will be able to endure more patiently. Still, I hope for the day that I will no longer have to fight, even with myself. May Allah t'ala shower his blessings upon you all, may we all overcome the evils within our selves, as well as the evil amongst this earth, and may we accepted into the peace of Jannah.

Brother read this thread about the struggle, are in.....
"http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4851&highlight=nafs"

If you apply them, it will change your life.

AliIbanez

A Stranger in Dunyah
We feel the way you do. Dealing our selves is a constant struggle (jihad), and I think the only solution is constant remembrance to Allah(SWT).

Salam

Noor to shine

<<I hope for the day that I will no longer have to fight>>

But fighting for the sake of Allah is sweat and rewarded InshaAllah .
One should fight his self till it become nafs mutmaenna :
"O (you) soul in (complete) rest and satisfaction. Come back to your Lord, will pleased (yourself) and will pleasing unto him. Enter you then among my devotees, enter you in my heaven." (89:27-30)

bdot

just what i need

Brother read this thread about the struggle, are in.....
"http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4851&highlight=nafs"

If you apply them, it will change your life.

Asalaam brother,

thank you sooo much. this is exactly what i needed. i guess i didn't search this site well enough. InshaAllah, i may learn from this and practice this advice in my daily life, as you had said. Jazakallahu Khayr brother and, again, thank you.

Asalamu alaikum wa RahmatuAllahi wa barkatahu.

sky_012

Assalam U Aleykum sister,
i've read other replies and the advice given will benefit me as well , so Jazak Allah
i just wanted to say that this post really gave me motivation ; to tell the truth , i'm suffering from exactly the same problem, and it upsets me, disturbs me and the ultime point is that i feel soo bad , it seems i'm so waek that sheytan can play with me, my soul and my thoughts , and he can take advantage from my weakness ; that's what i feel

this site has helped each of its members and i'm so thankfull to Allah SWT

the things that helped me are:

first of all reading quran with translation , and before reading it, taking one minute to check my heart and think why i'm reading it, what is the purpose , and making the firm will that evenif sheytan will try to distract me during the time i'm listening to Quran, i'll reject it as if i reject an ennemy ;

someone said here that "only true rememberence of Allah can give innner peace in your heart" i try to remember this unique and simple sentence all the time, and i try to apply this

ok, sheytan is intelligent in the way he know the weaknesses of each of us and try to mislead us through these weaknesses but i remember all the time that sheytan is an ennemy, an open ennemy and Allah SWT says in the Quran that we should alawys fight against sheytan ,
and even shytan is powerfull in the way that he can mislead us, Allah SWT is The Most Powerfull, He created all of us , all mankind, every living and non living thing, and if we rely on Him sheytan can't do anything

i try to be aware of the fact that beeing muslim is a true gift from allah SWT; it's like a ticket given to me, even if i didn't deserve it; i should take care of this precious ticket which is the ticket ultimately to paradise if i behave good;

there is also another thing that helps me to fight against these stupid thoughts and feelings is that see, see how big the world is, how many peaople are living there, some are suffering, some are enjoying, some are old, some are newly born , some are dying and i'm here , at home trying to fight something in my heart and it's like i'm here in my little corner trying to fight against something which is wasting my time, trying to burning the good deeds i earned so hardly , and one day 'ill die, nobody will remember me , nobody will really pray for me, and i'll be in my grave, and if sheytan succeeds , i'll be suffering forever and ever, and i don't want my enemy to win over me, and i wan't to coolect enough deeds for myself because i know nobldy else will offer me his/her good deeds so it's my risponsabilty

i try to remember death every minute, every time,

concering salat, i think that salat is a big gift and way for me to get closer to my Lord if i perform it correclty, so it means i should understand the meanings, and if Allah SWt has prescribed me Salat, it is to give me serenity , and it is a benefitial thing, so why should i waste this blessed moment by thinking of something else? sometimes it's strange and wierd i know but before something comes i say stop; Life is to worship Allah SWT but he the Most Mercifull wants us to Worship Him in the easiest way, not to stuggle with sheytan , and i should adopt this easy way ; which will make my life and my hereafter easier and if i find t sometimes difficutl to apply the commendments of Allah SWT and for instance get up early , i know one day my soul will be thankfull ; i'll be thankfull ; my body needs wordly things because it is made of earth, but my soul is someting which i reality needs rememberence to Allah SWT; so if i can satisfy my worldy needs , it' s my job to satisfy my soul with tru rememberance of Allah SWT

i try to think every moring when i wake up that , thanks Allah SWT, thanks a lot you gave me another day to erase my mistakes, and make a new day which will be better than yesterday with Your help, my Lord
so i should take this opportunity

i think how lucky i am as a human beeing, every thing that Allah SWT Created does tasbih, the trees, animals, every thing, but the trees have limited poosibilites , they are standing in the same place all the day, they can't move, they can just make tasbih of their Lord,
the animals, they can do more things but they don't have this awareness , this as developped brain as us, they don't have a soul and when they'll die, nothing will remain ,

so we have the ability to move, to live, to think , better than every other creature, so it's a true gift, and we should be thankfull to Allah SWT and not be distracted my the little things that disturb us in a corner of our heart, we should forget them and work on our risponsibility on earth, we are ambassadors , as creatures we have to show all the good things Allah SWt put in our minds like morality, the ability to be patient, to control ourselves, we can admire the rest of the creation of Allah ; the msot important thing is that we have a Guide, Our Prophet Muhammad SAW, if we follow him nothing will happen to us
plus Allah SWT Created us pure so it's our job to remain pure; we can't go back to Our Lord with bad clothes on us and a untidy heart to present; it should be not as pure but at least pure enough to satisfy our Lord , pure enough to show Him that Allah SWt , see you gave me all these possibilites and i took good care of them and i return them to you because every thing is Yours as You created them; and in fact the hole world, our hole planet in the begiing was like a big clean and pure house given from Allah SWT to us to live and worship him; so i should be carefull not only to don' harm myself with bad deeds but also not to harm everthing around me ;

finally , the first thing you can do is to learn and understand each of the names of Allah SWT and rely and trust on Him, he is your creator

these are the few ways i use to protect myself , and to open my eyes, but this thing has to be done constantly, there is no rest, at least for me, because i forget even one second, sheytan will porfit and enter my heart with bad thoughts,

the thing i remember as well is that look, when i have a bad feeling due to sheytan i feel bad all the day and i have to be even more and more aware, i gain nothing except worry and dislikeness of myself while when i think of Allah SWT i have this feeling, undescriptible, and i wish i could stop the time at this moment and feel like that forever, so it gives me motivation to acheive this thing in my heart, the only thing that gives me peace

sorry for beeing too long, but this issue is really serious for me because the more i want to come closer to my religion the more i find difficulties and the more sheytan tries to disturb me; and i take this very seriously ; i hope with this long post of mine, you'll feel better, even if this post is directed at myself first , and a reminder on what i should do myself and when i think of that , i think that Allah SWT has helped me a lot and Alhamdullilah i've improved and i'm stronger Alhaldullilah even if there is a loooot more to do

:wassalam:

before going just two sentences that i already mentionned but that are helping me really:
"only true rememberence of Allah SWT gives inner peace to heart"
"bad deeds harm me, my sould , my mind, and who would want to harm himself other than ignorant people, and what do i gain by harming me? nothing"

and Allah SWT has created sheytan to test us, if we are sincere in our faith and strong enough, but he Has given us the ability to fight against it and most imoortanly to SUCCEED in this fight and our weapons are Quran and sunnah; there are blessed people in this world who are already that strong that sheytan doesn't even dare disturbing them, but we also have the ability to be strong and fight, we have this immune system that we have to buodl ourselves and which becomes stronger by remembering Allah SWT; it's like a serum to protect us;

and i think that when i get a maths work for instance, and i don't manage to do it while other have already finished; what do i think? i think if the professor gave it to us it's that we are able to solve the problem, plus if i try hard, i always manage to solve it by myself and what do i feel? an extreme joy and hapiness that the others to solved the thing easily may have never experienced while i did my homework and i felt something really good which will help me for the next works.... it's alike that when i succeed against sheytan i feel this joy and i'm ready for all the other tests in future ....

bdot

we are similar, you and i

Assalam U Aleykum sister,
i've read other replies and the advice given will benefit me as well , so Jazak Allah
i just wanted to say that this post really gave me motivation ; to tell the truth , i'm suffering from exactly the same problem, and it upsets me, disturbs me and the ultime point is that i feel soo bad , it seems i'm so waek that sheytan can play with me, my soul and my thoughts , and he can take advantage from my weakness ; that's what i feel

this site has helped each of its members and i'm so thankfull to Allah SWT

the things that helped me are:

first of all reading quran with translation , and before reading it, taking one minute to check my heart and think why i'm reading it, what is the purpose , and making the firm will that evenif sheytan will try to distract me during the time i'm listening to Quran, i'll reject it as if i reject an ennemy ;

someone said here that "only true rememberence of Allah can give innner peace in your heart" i try to remember this unique and simple sentence all the time, and i try to apply this

ok, sheytan is intelligent in the way he know the weaknesses of each of us and try to mislead us through these weaknesses but i remember all the time that sheytan is an ennemy, an open ennemy and Allah SWT says in the Quran that we should alawys fight against sheytan ,
and even shytan is powerfull in the way that he can mislead us, Allah SWT is The Most Powerfull, He created all of us , all mankind, every living and non living thing, and if we rely on Him sheytan can't do anything

i try to be aware of the fact that beeing muslim is a true gift from allah SWT; it's like a ticket given to me, even if i didn't deserve it; i should take care of this precious ticket which is the ticket ultimately to paradise if i behave good;

there is also another thing that helps me to fight against these stupid thoughts and feelings is that see, see how big the world is, how many peaople are living there, some are suffering, some are enjoying, some are old, some are newly born , some are dying and i'm here , at home trying to fight something in my heart and it's like i'm here in my little corner trying to fight against something which is wasting my time, trying to burning the good deeds i earned so hardly , and one day 'ill die, nobody will remember me , nobody will really pray for me, and i'll be in my grave, and if sheytan succeeds , i'll be suffering forever and ever, and i don't want my enemy to win over me, and i wan't to coolect enough deeds for myself because i know nobldy else will offer me his/her good deeds so it's my risponsabilty

i try to remember death every minute, every time,

concering salat, i think that salat is a big gift and way for me to get closer to my Lord if i perform it correclty, so it means i should understand the meanings, and if Allah SWt has prescribed me Salat, it is to give me serenity , and it is a benefitial thing, so why should i waste this blessed moment by thinking of something else? sometimes it's strange and wierd i know but before something comes i say stop; Life is to worship Allah SWT but he the Most Mercifull wants us to Worship Him in the easiest way, not to stuggle with sheytan , and i should adopt this easy way ; which will make my life and my hereafter easier and if i find t sometimes difficutl to apply the commendments of Allah SWT and for instance get up early , i know one day my soul will be thankfull ; i'll be thankfull ; my body needs wordly things because it is made of earth, but my soul is someting which i reality needs rememberence to Allah SWT; so if i can satisfy my worldy needs , it' s my job to satisfy my soul with tru rememberance of Allah SWT

i try to think every moring when i wake up that , thanks Allah SWT, thanks a lot you gave me another day to erase my mistakes, and make a new day which will be better than yesterday with Your help, my Lord
so i should take this opportunity

i think how lucky i am as a human beeing, every thing that Allah SWT Created does tasbih, the trees, animals, every thing, but the trees have limited poosibilites , they are standing in the same place all the day, they can't move, they can just make tasbih of their Lord,
the animals, they can do more things but they don't have this awareness , this as developped brain as us, they don't have a soul and when they'll die, nothing will remain ,

so we have the ability to move, to live, to think , better than every other creature, so it's a true gift, and we should be thankfull to Allah SWT and not be distracted my the little things that disturb us in a corner of our heart, we should forget them and work on our risponsibility on earth, we are ambassadors , as creatures we have to show all the good things Allah SWt put in our minds like morality, the ability to be patient, to control ourselves, we can admire the rest of the creation of Allah ; the msot important thing is that we have a Guide, Our Prophet Muhammad SAW, if we follow him nothing will happen to us
plus Allah SWT Created us pure so it's our job to remain pure; we can't go back to Our Lord with bad clothes on us and a untidy heart to present; it should be not as pure but at least pure enough to satisfy our Lord , pure enough to show Him that Allah SWt , see you gave me all these possibilites and i took good care of them and i return them to you because every thing is Yours as You created them; and in fact the hole world, our hole planet in the begiing was like a big clean and pure house given from Allah SWT to us to live and worship him; so i should be carefull not only to don' harm myself with bad deeds but also not to harm everthing around me ;

finally , the first thing you can do is to learn and understand each of the names of Allah SWT and rely and trust on Him, he is your creator

these are the few ways i use to protect myself , and to open my eyes, but this thing has to be done constantly, there is no rest, at least for me, because i forget even one second, sheytan will porfit and enter my heart with bad thoughts,

the thing i remember as well is that look, when i have a bad feeling due to sheytan i feel bad all the day and i have to be even more and more aware, i gain nothing except worry and dislikeness of myself while when i think of Allah SWT i have this feeling, undescriptible, and i wish i could stop the time at this moment and feel like that forever, so it gives me motivation to acheive this thing in my heart, the only thing that gives me peace

sorry for beeing too long, but this issue is really serious for me because the more i want to come closer to my religion the more i find difficulties and the more sheytan tries to disturb me; and i take this very seriously ; i hope with this long post of mine, you'll feel better, even if this post is directed at myself first , and a reminder on what i should do myself and when i think of that , i think that Allah SWT has helped me a lot and Alhamdullilah i've improved and i'm stronger Alhaldullilah even if there is a loooot more to do

before going just two sentences that i already mentionned but that are helping me really:
"only true rememberence of Allah SWT gives inner peace to heart"
"bad deeds harm me, my sould , my mind, and who would want to harm himself other than ignorant people, and what do i gain by harming me? nothing"

and Allah SWT has created sheytan to test us, if we are sincere in our faith and strong enough, but he Has given us the ability to fight against it and most imoortanly to SUCCEED in this fight and our weapons are Quran and sunnah; there are blessed people in this world who are already that strong that sheytan doesn't even dare disturbing them, but we also have the ability to be strong and fight, we have this immune system that we have to buodl ourselves and which becomes stronger by remembering Allah SWT; it's like a serum to protect us;

and i think that when i get a maths work for instance, and i don't manage to do it while other have already finished; what do i think? i think if the professor gave it to us it's that we are able to solve the problem, plus if i try hard, i always manage to solve it by myself and what do i feel? an extreme joy and hapiness that the others to solved the thing easily may have never experienced while i did my homework and i felt something really good which will help me for the next works.... it's alike that when i succeed against sheytan i feel this joy and i'm ready for all the other tests in future ....

Asalaam brother/sister (sorry, i do not have access to profiles yet)

By Allah t'ala I know EXACTLY the struggle that you speak of. This things you have described; these problems that you must endure, they are exactly what I face and why I sought help through this post. Shaitan is relentless, attacking from front, back, sides, up, down, everywhere and if we give him the chance he will destroy us utterly. Some of the many things that you have tried to confront Shaitan, are exactly some of the things that I have attempted to fight the inner evil. These methods of protection, i feel, are inspirations from Allah t'ala, and we learn them from building our iman. However, you have gone far and deep into your striving, and the methods you take to fight the evil are ones that i have not thought of yet but, InshaAllah, will practice. I hope that Allah t'ala helps you in your striving, and all of us and may your fountain of knowledge continue to fill with wisdom and goodness. I appreciate your post, and it was awe-inspiring to me to see how similar we are. JazakAllahu Khayr.

As salamualaikum waRahmatullahi wa barkatahu

P.S. I'm a brother, just so you know (guess i should put up a profile, heh).

sky_012

Waleikum salam brother in islam,

i have gone far but it's sad to say it's because sheytan distubs me in the deepness of my heart, it's even more sad to say that i try hard but i don't manage to fight against , one day or another i loose my concentration and will again and i have to start every thing from the beginning; the most shamefull thing is that apparently i have a great life Alhamdulilah, we all have a great life, most of us don't have to suffer from hunger, don't live in a country where there is war, we are free, we have rights we have a confortable life by the Grace of Allah SWT but inside myself, i hve nothing, no life, no hapiness, i don't know why i don't manage, why i am so weak despite the fact i try hard but i'm sure there is a problem perhaps in my way of practising my religion otherwise Allah SWT would help me; perhaps Allah SWT is angry after me, really angry , so i ask for fogiveness , because if Allah SWT protect u , sheytan can't do anything, if Allah SWT Guide you on the straight path, sheytan can't mislead you ; i pray nobody feels the way i feel ,even for one second, because , inner issues are harder to deal with than outer issues, nobody can really help you , nobody can see what you are going through except Allah SWT , please pray that Allah SWT Guide us all and forgive us ,Ameen

Noor to shine

I think that the problem with most of us ....... we are not Honest or truthful within ...we say things we don`t do ....we are lazy ....don`t appreciat the bounties of Allah swt as we should ...we have no courge to question ourselves .......We let little things drive us while Quran should move us.....We should try better
:astag:

OsMaN_93

Here to help

This happened to one of the companions of the prophet (sahabah) whose name is Uthman Bin Abi Al-Aas, (may Allah be pleased with him), so he came complaining to the Prophet (peace be upon him), and he said: "The Shaitan comes between me and my salat and causes me problems with my recitation." So the Messenger of Allah, (peace be upon him), said: "That is a shaitan called Khanzab, so if you feel his presence, seek refuge in Allah and blow a mist to your left three times." He said: "I applied this advice and Allah has rid me off him."1 This hadith includes two ways to get rid off the shaitan of salat. The first is asking refuge in Allah from the shaitan's evil by pronouncing the words of seeking refuge and this is OK in this case. And the second: blowing with mist to the left three times. This is basically blowing air in a similar manner to spitting, but with a minute mist of saliva, on the condition that this does not disturb or bother the person next to him, nor make the masjid dirty.

From the book; What Should You Do in the Following Situations... ?
1 Sahih Muslim 2203.