HIJAAB

Appa BK

Muslimah Light
HIJAAB

It is late in the afternoon at the University of British Columbia and I have been cooped up in this library for hours, trying to compose a thesis for my American Literature term paper. Deciding that a break would help clear my thoughts, I leave the confines of the library to sit outside, only to hear a female voice come up from behind me to ask: "Just how is it that you can live with yourself from day to day wearing that THING on your head and letting THEM control your life?" Granted, it is an original line, a creative way to break the ice, yet why the code words? Only because I've been yelled at in public before for reasons connected to my appearance do I know what this woman means.

Code word # 1: "head thing"= 30inch X 30inch yellow and maroon flower patterned polyester blend, a piece of cloth I happen to be wearing to cover my head and neck;
Code word #2: "them"= all Muslim men who, sinister-like with their dark beards, heavy accents, and hidden Uzi's get a rush out of making women their life-long slaves.

Having deciphered all this quickly, I turn to face the stranger-a cross looking thing-I smile politely and signal to the empty chair beside me:

"Would you like to have a seat?" HIJAB, the head to ankle covering that leaves only the face, hands and feet visible in public, has made me a very patient Muslim woman. The brave individuals who have mustered the courage to verbally express their opinions about my scarf haven't been the most trying. There are many who can't formulate words coherent enough to communicate > > their disapproval, and so, rely on simple gestures and sign language. Walking through downtown Vancouver, I've been fingered, spat on, scowled and cursed at.

Stepping into an elevator, I once traumatized a man who could do nothing but shuffle into the corner of the empty lift and mutter "What the ----? WHAT THE ----?!?!?!?!" I have to take the agitation, the horror, and even the hatred in a stride. But never will I be silent about it.

I can ignore the flagrant distortions no more than I can deny the fact that I am a Muslim living in Canada. Who I am and what popular culture thinks I am, has become a tug-of-war-competition of who can explain the status of the Muslim hijab-wearer convincingly. The media tells the public that I am a weak freak of nature who has been forced to subject herself to the tyranny of Muslim fundamentalists. Catherine Meckes assesses that wearing hijab is "some kind of twisted logic" because it entraps women like animals in a cage.

The Muslim dress code, she argues, is a form of hiding from society so that I don't have to deal with the realities of my "natural habitat." Ms. Meckes seems to be familiar enough with the Western culture to know that women are constantly objectified, used as commodities, tools to sell beer and boost sales for the next football season. Sadly enough, though, she views women who wish to distance themselves from this commercial degradation with fear.

She finds women who cover "disturbing" and wished that she didn't have to confront them on their "home turf."

Pardon my feeble-mindedness, I've pinned my scarf on too tight and squeezed reason out of my brain....just WHO is running away from the truth? I have chosen to set myself apart from millions of Canadians, placed myself in the way of ridicule by a society that demands women to conform to certain ideals,I have refused to hide in the crowded university hallways and malls by looking the way Cindy, Cosmo, or Calvin Klein think I should- all because I'm a spineless caged rodent?!?! I have rejected the hip-hugging jeans, the breast-enhancing halter tops, the poofy hair and made-up face, and accepted hijab so that I can be appreciated for my intellect and personality rather than my figure or fashion sense. When I face a classmate or colleague I can be confident that my body is not being scrutinized, my bra-strap or pantyline visible. I have repudiated the perverted values of our society by choosing to assert myself only through my mind. I understand my "natural habitat" very well thank you.

I fully comprehend the distorted image of the "ideal woman," but the difference between me and the Catherine Meckes's of the world is that I am NOT afraid to defy those standards. Islam liberated me from THAT prison.

Perhaps hijab is so misunderstood because it is prescribed by a religion that makes a bold and shocking statement: Women are precious creatures who have the right to be valued for who they are, and not what they can juggle. When I decided to start wearing hijab, my mother pulled me aside and posed this question: "If you found a diamond that was exquisite in every way, would you show it to all your friends, let them gawk at its dazzle, caress it, or would you covet the stone and protect it by preserving its natural splendor?"

Once you bear something for all to see, the second you display something for its beauty, you objectify it and diminish its value. Because its worth is built on its ability to attract, when it no longer elicits awe from onlookers it becomes worthless. Is it a wonder that neck lines keep plunging every year?- more cleavage means women won't bore oglers, the commercial industries, and the rest of society for awhile. But when will those skirts quit shortening?? For how long will women remain sex objects??

Islam tells us that every woman is a jewel and when she respects herself enough to preserve her beauty for herself and her loved ones, she rejects being objectified by a society which does NOT value her. Only the dearest people in my life know me without hijab because they love me enough to value ALL of me. John and Jane Doe don't love me or care for me, so why must I meet their notions of an "ideal woman" if they are meaningless to me? It is the desire to please popular culture that makes 15 year old girls want to fit Kate Moss's jeans by sticking their fingers down their throats and wretching(throwing up) three times a day. It is the unattainable Perfect-Body society has conjured, that make "fat", "ugly" girls splatter themselves on sidewalks because they just are "not thin and pretty enough". AND THEY TELL ME ISLAM OPPRESSES WOMEN??

I am thankful that I am not suicidal or psychologically unbalanced because I can't meet the demands of my culture. I am fortunate that my concerns and goals in life lie on a higher plane than the dictates of a pretty fashion industry. I am quite content with my religion, for it values my power to achieve great things through my mind, not through my body. Whether I am physically beautiful or not, you have no clue. Perhaps this fact is disturbing for Catherine Meckes and the library stranger because they are not ready to meet a woman who can get by without her looks. Then again, perhaps it is because they are just ignorant of the (WHAT IS IT?) facts. Either way, I don't need anyone's sympathy, I am not really that scary, and your anger does me no harm.

I am not under duress, or a male-worshipping female captive from the barbarous Arabian deserts.

I'VE BEEN LIBERATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jamiatul Ulama Kwa-Zulu Natal South Africa

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
hear hear.

It does my head in really the reactions i get. I have had people deliberately walk in to me, elbow me and so on.

Then you get the stupid questions, do you wear it at home? No why would i? Whats wrong with people? Seemingly intelligent people seem to lose their marbles when confronted with hijab. Its insane.

But you know what? I wouldn't give it up. I love my hijab, and its part of me.

over and out......

from a hijabi with attitude :)

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
to be quite honest, I love the thrilled of walking into a room, epecially southern whites (not trying to be racist) and hear how quickly the sound disappears and necks beginning turning. my face frozen but I am smiling on inside. Allah made us different for a reason.

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

So far I've received mixed reviews on my hijab. I've never been spat upon, flipped the bird, or anything as dramatic as that. Simply people have stared or made ignorant comments or inevitably ask if it is too hot in this Caribbean country.

However things are about to change, as I am moving back to America this December. So I have no idea if it's going to be easier or harder but I am a bit nervous.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Abu_Luqmann

Assalamualaikum,

May Allah reward you all for 'holding dear to the rope of Allah'.

I wish all Muslim women felt the same about their hijaab.

I sometimes feel that women have to endure more 'staring' while living in a non-muslim society as they look a lot different from other women While men, try to merge into the general public as many do not keep a beard, stating that it is a 'sunnah' while hijaab is 'fard' for women.

Hats off to all hijaabis!

And Allah Knows Best

Iyaad

Assalamualaikom

I second that, hats off. Really nice write-up, sister, jazakallah khairan, and may Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala reward you all. I just wish more people could read such stories.

Wa salam!

arabiantxn

As some one from the opposite gender I wanted to point out how much we respect people who dress modestly wear hijab. May Allah protect you all.

Storm

SiStEr
Excellent sis.

At least its the non-Muslims who dont understand this concept. Over here its our own Muslim sisters who make fun. I think its really sad but kinda funny at the same time coz u expect Muslims, (of all ppl) not to behave this way.

salahdin

asalama aleiukum wa rahmatulahi wa barakatu my sister MASHALLAH you are example to follower , may ALLAH S.W reward you for everything you do in this world and the here after and make your iman even stronger. What you do is JIHAD I CAN PICTURE This INSHALLAH SURA AL-INSAN 10:23 BISMILLAHI RAHMANI RAHIM (10) Therefor Allah hath warded off from them the evil of that day, and hath made them find brightness and joy; (11) And hath awarded them for all that they endured, a Garden and silk attire; (12) Reclining therein upon couches, they will find there neither (heat of) a sun nor bitter cold. (13) The shade thereof is close upon them and the clustered fruits thereof bow down. (14) Goblets of silver are brought round for them, and beakers (as) of glass (15) (Bright as) glass but (made) of silver, which they (themselves) have measured to the measure (of their deeds). (16) There are they watered with a cup whereof the mixture is of Zanjabil, (17) The water of a spring therein, named Salsabil. (18) There, serve them youths of ever lasting youths, whom, when thou seest, thou wouldst take for scattered pearls. (19) When thou seest, thou wilt see there bliss and high estate. (20) Their raiment will be fine green silk and gold embroidery. Bracelets of silver will they wear. Their Lord will slake their thirst with a pure drink. (21) (And it will be said unto them): Lo! this is a reward for you. Your endeavour (upon earth) hath found acceptance. (22) Lo! We, even We, have revealed unto thee the Qur'an, a revelation; (23) So submit patiently to thy Lord's command, and obey not of them any guilty one or disbeliever.asalama aleiukum wa rahmatulahi wa barakatu

*FIRM BELIEVER*

Excellent sis.

At least its the non-Muslims who dont understand this concept. Over here its our own Muslim sisters who make fun. I think its really sad but kinda funny at the same time coz u expect Muslims, (of all ppl) not to behave this way.

yhh same here sis, its just so upsetting really having your own muslim sisters take da mick out of you just because wear the hijaab.. Oh well I've tried to explain to them but they don't listen, Am sure 1 day they will realize..

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
MashAllah siser your words are truly inspiring and very influential. You have the type of patience and insight I wish I had. Usually whenever things like that happen with me my first instinct is to feel anger and react abrasively, which usually doesn't get me anywhere. However, lately I've been working on maintaining my calm in order to have the type of rational arguments that truly manage to affect the otherwise ignorant people. May Allah bless you and always keep your iman strong. :ma:

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
yhh same here sis, its just so upsetting really having your own muslim sisters take da mick out of you just because wear the hijaab.. Oh well I've tried to explain to them but they don't listen, Am sure 1 day they will realize..

I'll tell you something......I've come across alot of girls like that and I'll tell you what my deduction of them is. The aggression on their part most likely stems from guilt and the fact that they themselves are not doing what is required of them as muslims and they see the sister that IS managing to do her part as a threat to them and the lifestyles they live. I've come across non-hijabi muslim women who maintain that hijab is not a part of Islam or that one does not have to wear hijab in order to be a good muslim as well as the idea that those of us who do so believe ourselves to be better than the rest. Well hijab is MOST DEFINITELY in Islam but it is true that a woman's wearing hijab is worthless if her heart is not pure and she is not a good person. Despite this, people will continue to argue because they want to justify their own actions to themselves and will find scapegoats in hijabis because its their own guilt thats the catalyst for it all. Women like this usually dont get very far lol. :astag:

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
I loved the article ,so well written , so true
Its just craaaaaaaaaaazy how people are staring .Im trying to be invisible with my hijab but I get opposite .But why to stare so obvious .Do they think we are blind and deaf and speachless ,we are not human?

I am about at the point that I will start answering people soon for their staring ,coz its unpolite and rediculous ...

But Im very proud to wear my hijab and to be recognized ...
Yes I am A MUSLIM :)
Go head and stare u all
Im proud of what I am
Im proud of whatever they call it (rag ) on my head :)

Alhamdulillah for making me this way

waaleikum salam

Appa BK

Muslimah Light
As Salaam Mu Aleykum Brothers and Sisters.

Jazak'Allah Ghair for reading the article. I must say that all the sisters here at TTI have been such an inspiration to me.

It saddens my heart that muslim women/girls are also the ones ridiculing Hijaab, I get that all the time especially from the people that are suppose to be my support (my family), they dont deem it neccessary to be covered or for a lady to be modest. My parents seem to think that I am being "fanatical" because I want to observe the sunnah and sharia to the finest detail.... but all that aside, it makes me feel ontop of the world because I know what the sweetness of Imaan tastes like......:hijabi:

All that said make dua for the rest of the muslim ummah around you that they recieve hidayat Insha'Allah.

May the Almighty, Supreme, Ever Living ALLAH grant you all goodness in this world and in the hereafter , for your patients Insh'Alah - Ameen

chaandani

Goofy Member
asalaamu alaikum. jazakallah sis. i love this post...now if only non-muslims would read it and understand it. usually people are polite towards me here in the states, but when i was in canada not too long ago, i did notice that people tended to stare a bit more. i just smile at them though. :)

bravo to the brave ladies that wear hijab proudly!!
wasalam

Storm

SiStEr
I'll tell you something......I've come across alot of girls like that and I'll tell you what my deduction of them is. The aggression on their part most likely stems from guilt and the fact that they themselves are not doing what is required of them as muslims and they see the sister that IS managing to do her part as a threat to them and the lifestyles they live. I've come across non-hijabi muslim women who maintain that hijab is not a part of Islam or that one does not have to wear hijab in order to be a good muslim as well as the idea that those of us who do so believe ourselves to be better than the rest. Well hijab is MOST DEFINITELY in Islam but it is true that a woman's wearing hijab is worthless if her heart is not pure and she is not a good person. Despite this, people will continue to argue because they want to justify their own actions to themselves and will find scapegoats in hijabis because its their own guilt thats the catalyst for it all. Women like this usually dont get very far lol. :astag:

Well said :D