How do I tell my parents!!

more2life

Assalamu Aleykum
I recently came to know Islam Feb. 4th, so I am new muslim. It took much confidence to do the right thing, I mean the strength...especially growing up a Christian it was a very hard desicion for me... but I must face another hard desicion...and that is telling my parents
Well My parents Strict Christians,When i say strict i mean like I am only aloud to listen to certain music, have to go to church with my family, prayer at dinner table etc. my mother wants everything Christian in her home,, goes to church every sunday etc... and then theres me...I have to admit I have gone through many faises in my life as a teenager, but I know this isnt a faise...I want to devote my life to Islam to be a good muslim...
and I cant do this by hiding what I believe...HOW DO I TELL MY FAMILY! (by the way i recently turned 15 this march)...(mostly my mother and father) I just dont know how to bring it up, they will be soo ashamed and they will look at me differently, i dont want to feel unconfortable around them( I want to be able t tell me,, but how! I cant hide this anymore...does anyone have any ideas or thoughts?? I am in need...I dont want to go a year without them knowing...I just want to get it over with....PLEASE HELP!:SMILY176:

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
MashAllah
congratulations on becoming a muslim my sister :)
May Allah bless u and help u on your way...
Yes telling it to parents probably will be the hardest part...Most probably they wont take you seriously ,that what happened to mine ,they thought it was just new hobby or smth ...
How to say it? mmm .I said to my parents when it was Ramadan ,that Im fasting etc... and that Im muslim ,well I said it over the phone ,so it wasn't that scary and my parents are overseas.
But for my practising Christian brother and his wife ,I just said its straight that I became muslim when they asked me to bless the food at dinner table ,before eating ,like saying prayer ,and thanking Jesus(PBUH) .I just totally shocked them ,but hamdulillah it was ok...

waaliekum salam

Rawa

Salam

Assalamu Aleykum
I recently came to know Islam Feb. 4th, so I am new muslim. It took much confidence to do the right thing, I mean the strength...especially growing up a Christian it was a very hard desicion for me... but I must face another hard desicion...and that is telling my parents
Well My parents Strict Christians,When i say strict i mean like I am only aloud to listen to certain music, have to go to church with my family, prayer at dinner table etc. my mother wants everything Christian in her home,, goes to church every sunday etc... and then theres me...I have to admit I have gone through many faises in my life as a teenager, but I know this isnt a faise...I want to devote my life to Islam to be a good muslim...
and I cant do this by hiding what I believe...HOW DO I TELL MY FAMILY! (by the way i recently turned 15 this march)...(mostly my mother and father) I just dont know how to bring it up, they will be soo ashamed and they will look at me differently, i dont want to feel unconfortable around them( I want to be able t tell me,, but how! I cant hide this anymore...does anyone have any ideas or thoughts?? I am in need...I dont want to go a year without them knowing...I just want to get it over with....PLEASE HELP!:SMILY176:

To convert to Islam is a great decision anyone has ever made. And great decisions need great persons, I am sure you are that great person. On the other hand, to make such great decision, you need to sucrifice, for it is impossible to gain and embrace a beautiful and superb religion like Islam without great efforts and sucrifice... However, remember that for a great decision like this only the first step is difficult, others will be going smoothly, with the help of Allah.

The difficulity you are facing now is how to tell your parents. Right, it is not easy, especially for your situation as you described your family. The first step you have already taken, asking others for advice. You are absolutely right. The second step is to get some ideas from these brothers and sisters who advise you. Then take an action after you have prayed and asked Allah for help. To simplify:

1. Pray and ask Allah for help, Who has power over the earth and the heavens.

2. Try to be more friendly, helpful and respectful to your parents than ever, until they will see a change in your behavious and personality. This is the core of Islam, to do goodness towards our parents.

3. They will then try to find out why their daughter has changed, soon or late, either they know that you have become a Mulsim or pave the road for you to tell them. So, what you are supposed to do is to be patient, but colse to Allah and stick to the faith you want to devote your life for.

Do not be afraid, Allah is the Greatest, and for sure He will help you!

Best Wishes, kind regards
Wassalam,
Rawa,
Liverpool, THE UK.

s 091

welcome

:SMILY206::SMILY206::SMILY206:
welcome sister, I am so happy for you that even though you have been brought up in a very strict way to learn about the religion that you parents have chosen for you, you have found the stregnth and courage to look into Islam yourself. I am sorry that you have to face a tough time in telling your parents about your choice but in time I am sure they will come round to the idea. They may at first thing its a phase but over time when you continue on with your journey I am sure that they will come to realise that you are serious and your mind cannot be changed. I am sure it will not be easy and it may be an upsetting/hurtful time for all involved but always remember that for every right choice that you are making it will be better for you in the next life. Again congratulations!!! {ps I hope all goes well for you}...

sajjuaiah

As-salaam alaikum,

“And whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a
him to get out (from every difficulty).
And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever
puts his trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish
purpose. Indeed Allah has set a measure for all things”[al-Talaaq 65:2-3]

And when My servants ask you concerning Me, then surely I am very near; I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he calls on Me, so they should answer My call and believe in Me that they may walk in the right way. 2:186

Sura Al-Baqarah , Ayat 214
do ye think that ye shall enter the gardin of bliss without such trials as came to those who passed away before you? they encounterd suffreing and adversity, and were so shaken in spirit that even the messenger and those of faith who where with him cried ''when will come the help of allah? Ah verily, the help of allah is allways near.

"Be sure We shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in
goods, lives, and the fruits of your toil. But give glad tidings to those who
patiently persevere. Those who say, when afflicted with calamity, 'To Allah we
belong, and to Him is our return.' They are those on whom descend blessings
from their Lord, and mercy. They are the ones who receive guidance." (2:155-157)

A Kashmiri

It is a very good news Mashallah and Welcome to the religion of Truth.

As i understand there is no mechanical switch which one can press and the things will fall in place which you already are aware of.

I think that you should allow them to see the change in your attitude, your life style, your more respecting attitude to your parents ( I m sure you already would have been a respecting kid as you are very wise ) etc and wait for them to question such a pleasant change. You can then speak and disclose your faith - Islam.

Or you can slowly and gradually distance your self with the occassions or events which are related to christian faith, but respectfully towards your Parents and i am sure your parents will ask why ? then you can disclose to them your faith Islam.

May Allah help you inshallah.

ahmed m

asalamualaikum. i begin by congratulating you on your successful journey to islam. Out of approximately the 5 billion non muslims in the world, Allah chose you. For this we should thank Allah immensely. Thounsands of people study for instance the subject of biology, studying the immense complexity of creation, but are not guided to islam. This is a blessin of Allah which we will never be able to repay him for. May Allah keep us all on the path of islam.

With regards to your question. The best reply and advice i could giv u, is that which the prophet mohammed(saw) gave to his companions. Some of his companions never had any family to protect them. Others belonged to no certain tribe. Others came from overseas. To these companions whom were in unfortunate situations, the prophet suggested that they conceal their conversion. This is because by blossoming their conversion to islam, it would result in their torture, beating etc. Some concealed their conversion for some time, and only when they were in a confortable and safer condition did they open up their conversion to the public. Therefore my sister, as you are still very young and not able to sustain yourself, it would be better to conceal it. You dont want your islam to be affected. For instance, if you tell them they might say dont pray for instance. This will therefore affect your islam. Inshallah take things step by step. And always make dua(prayer) to Allah to make all easy for you.

I sometimes advice new muslims, that the best way to show their parents their conversion is through their change in manners and character. when they see that their has been a change in your character, they will wonder why automatically. And inshallah when they do com to know of your conversion, it could inshallah be a means for them to accept islam. May allah bless you always, and make followin all aspects of islam easy for you. And may he (SWT) also open your parents hearts to accept the true and beautiful universal religion of Islam.

And allah knows best.

request your duas

Anaa Muslimah

:hijabi:
Al Salamu Aleikum,

First of all, congratulations, this is the first step to a better life, alhamdulillah.
I've been through the same situation as yiu, and from personal experience I can tell you that, your parents will come to accept your choice sooner or later, start practicing and doing your 5 prayers, let them get a feel and approach you about it, they will see ,they you are only doing good.
Consider this your personal Jihad, and remember you have millions of brothers and sisters to always back you up.

Fi amman Allah

Sister Aasma